• Published 23rd Dec 2019
  • 2,140 Views, 58 Comments

Distant Shore - Artistkun



Sunset Shimmer found a mirror that has a cracked lapis lazuli gem behind it. She didn't know that the mirror had someone trapped in there

  • ...
6
 58
 2,140

Research

Author's Note:

Sunset Shimmer woke up from the sunlight that was shining through her window. She sat up and stretches her arms to feel refresh. She looks at her side and smiled when she saw the mirror she had found yesterday at the beach. She picks it up and touches the back where the gem was placed.

"Good morning, mirror". The mirror's reflection moved and had showed Sunset smiling from yesterday as a way to communicate with the former Equestrian.

"You seem really happy to see me. Well to be honest, I am actually happy that I have someone to talk to". She watched as the mirror started to move again.

"...Yeah!" Sunset chuckled cutely and puts the mirror back down on her bed so that she could start the day.

"We're going to the library today so that I can learn more about you! I can't wait to see if you can still be fixed because a precious gem like you is irreplaceable... Well, to my perspective at least. Plus, I'm curious if there's a history of you, copying people expression as a form of communication". She fixes her bed and looks at the lapis lazuli mirror.

"Be right back, mirror. I won't take too long!"

"...Yeah!"

Sunset Shimmer smiled and caresses the mirror before starting her morning routine. After doing her morning routine, she opens her closet so that she could dress up. As she was putting her boots, she heard her phone ringing. She didn't feel like answering it because she was excited to study the mirror but the call might be important. She picks it up to see that Twilight was the one calling her.

"Sorry, Twilight. Study date will have to wait". With that, Sunset declines the call.

She puts her phone on her pocket and puts the mirror on her bag before walking towards the front door. When she opened the door, she yelps in surprise to see her best friend, Twilight Sparkle, standing in front of her with an angry expression on her face.

"You declined my call on purpose, didn't you?" Twilight angrily asked which made Sunset nervous.

"De-Decline?! Your call? No, Ne-Ne-Never! I just forgot... um.... that I put my phone in silent so I can sleep, that's all!" Sunset nervously laughed and suddenly heard her ringtone on her pocket and it was vibrating. She slowly pulls out her phone to see that Twilight had called her.

Sunset looks at her best friend and laughs nervously while putting her phone back to her pocket.

"Oops?" Twilight sighed angrily and rubs her forehead to keep her calm.

"Let me guess? You're too distracted to answer my call because of the mirror you found yesterday". Sunset nods her head in guilt.

"Well, at least we're going to have a study date in my house. It will keep your mind off that thing".

"Ab-About that.... The study date will have to move to tomorrow". Sunset nervously said which made Twilight shock.

"Wh-What?!"

"I need to study the mirror. The library might have some information about it or maybe a way to fix the lapis gem". Sunset said, tightly gripping her bag strap.

"How about I come with you? We'll research together". Twilight said which made Sunset thinking.

"Well I guess it doesn't hurt to have an extra hand... Okay then".

Sunset Shimmer locked her door before going to her bike with her friend. Twilight sat behind Sunset, who was starting the engine of the bike. Once it had started, she puts her hands on Sunset's shoulder with a blush in her face. Sunset Shimmer tested the bike before taking off. Twilight Sparkle was really upset when her best friend suddenly wanted to move their study date, just for that darn mirror.

That mirror is making her really crazy! She's been caring about it more than our study date... It's a good thing that I suggested that we both will-

I just care about fixing the mirror, Twilight! I want it to be fixed because the mirror deserves it! Plus, I can hear your thoughts.

AAAAAHHH!!


"There's got to be a book about gems. I will be freaking peeve if they don't have one here, this is a library!"

Sunset Shimmer was slowly walking while finding the book she needed in order to understand the mirror. Twilight was helping as well but she was in another section. Sunset double checks the section she was in before sighing in annoyance because she couldn't find the book she was looking for. She sits down on the floor and pulls out the mirror from her bag.

"This is harder than I expected... My research will take a little longer, mirror... I hope you still enjoying my company, even if Twilight and I are busy looking for information about you". The mirror started to move and showed a smiling Sunset Shimmer which made the former unicorn giggle quietly.

"You're really funny for a mirror". Sunset said which made the mirror copy her.

"You're really funny for a mirror".

Twilight Sparkle stared at awe at Sunset and the mirror, they seem like both of them were talking to each other. She wasn't expecting the mirror would be Equestrian magic. Sunset Shimmer saw Twilight from the mirror and she quickly hides it on her bag. She stood up and looks into Twilight's eyes which made the nerd blush.

"This is why I wanted to move our study date.... I don't want you getting involved with my situation". Sunset said with a worried tone which made Twilight a little mad.

"We're best friends, Sunset. Don't you still trust me?!" Twilight yelled and was glad that their the only ones in this section.

"I do! It's just that... I don't want you getting near with something you don't understand. I'm just looking out for you, Twilight". Sunset said as she continues to search for the book about gems.

"I'm a teenager, Sunset! I'm not a kid anymore!"

"I'm 27, Twilight. Technically, you're a kid to me. The portal just gave me a body of a teenager that goes to high school for some reason. Please, just help me so that we can get over it". Twilight sighed and continues to search.

That mirror is slowly changing her!

"I can still hear your thoughts, Twilight. I'm still the same Sunset you know".

Twilight Sparkle sighed in annoyance about forgetting that her best friend was a mind reader. She jolted in surprise when heard Sunset screaming in joy. She looks to see Sunset, holding the book that she was looking for.

“Found it! C’mon, Twilight!”

Twilight Sparkle followed her best friend to the nearest table. Sunset Shimmer sits down on the chair and opens the book and to look for the page about Lapis Lazulis.

“It’s in page 134”. Twilight said and Sunset immediately searches flips all the pages to look for the topic.

“Found it!” Sunset Shimmer beamed in happiness when she saw the page about the gem that was in the mirror.

"Lapis Lazuli is one of the most sought after stones in use since man's history began. Its deep, celestial blue remains the symbol of royalty and honor, gods and power, spirit and vision. It is a universal symbol of wisdom and truth." Sunset flips the page so that she could see if there is more information

"In ancient times Lapis Lazuli was most highly regarded because of its beautiful color and the valuable ultramarine dye derived from it. Its name comes from the Latin lapis, "stone," and the Persian lazhuward, "blue." It is rock formed by multiple minerals, mostly Lazurite, Sodalite, Calcite and Pyrite, and is a rich medium to royal blue with gold flecks (pyrites). Lower-grade Lapis is lighter blue with more white than gold flecks, and is sometimes called denim Lapis.

Lapis Lazuli was among the most highly prized tribute paid to Egypt, obtained from the oldest mines in the world, worked from around 4000 B.C. and still in use today. Referenced in the Old Testament as sapphire (unknown in that part of the ancient world), Lapis Lazuli is most likely the fifth stone in the original breastplate of the High Priest, as well as those of later times.

The golden sarcophagus of King Tutankhamen was richly inlaid with Lapis, as were other burial ornaments of Egyptian kings and queens. It was used extensively in scarabs, pendants and other jewelry, and ground into powder for dyes, eye shadow and medicinal elixirs. In the dry, barren land of the Egyptians, this deep cobalt blue color was a spiritual contrast to their arid desert hues. The gold flecks were like stars in their night-time sky and by meditating on these colors they felt supernatural forces would transform their lives. The garments of priests and royalty were dyed with Lapis to indicate their status as gods themselves".

As Sunset was reading the information out loud, Twilight couldn't help but look at the broken lapis lazuli gem behind the mirror. She could tell that even a professional couldn't fix it. She sighs and puts her hand on her best friend's shoulder which made Sunset look at her.

"Is something wrong?" Sunset asked.

“Sunset… Judging about the crack on the gem… I don’t think it can be fixed by a professional”. Twilight sadly said but Sunset’s determination didn’t fade.

“I just have to keep trying. I won’t get to see another gem as beautiful as the one I have today. I’ll do everything to fix this, even if I have to sacrifice my sleep or my activities for it”. Sunset stood up and puts the book to where it belongs.

“I need to go”.

“Sunset, we’re going to meet up with the girls outside”.

“You can go without me”. Sunset said as she grabs Twilight’s wrist before leaving the library. Twilight had enough of her best friend caring about the mirror more than her friends.

“This obsession of fixing this mirror is making you crazy!” Sunset removes her grip and glares at her best friend, which made Twilight scared to death.

“I’m not going crazy, Twilight. Now, be a good girl and stay out of my business”. With that, Sunset goes to her bike and starts it before leaving Twilight alone.

Twilight Sparkle had never felt so scared from her best friend, except the time when she had competed her at the Friendship Games. She heard a familiar voice shouting her name and she turns around to see her friends, walking towards her direction.

“Is there something wrong, Twi?” Applejack asked.

“It’s the mirror”.

“The mirror that Sunset found yesterday? She left you because she wanted to fix the gem in the nearest shop here in Canterlot City and she got angry at you for calling her crazy?” This made Twilight look at her in shock but soon calms down because she got use to this.

“I’m not even gonna ask”. Twilight said and felt really guilty for what she had said to Sunset.

"I'm sure Sunset will stop being obsess with that mirror sooner or later". Rainbow said.