• Published 21st Dec 2019
  • 1,525 Views, 18 Comments

My Name is Nightmare Moon - Pyromaniac



A traumatized teenager is seemingly possessed by Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
1
 18
 1,525

Chapter 2 ☆ A Superficial Introduction

Who could find it in them to merely fall when the intoxication of a lucid daydream renders their maimed soul lighter than air?

My stomach felt as heavy as a rock, dragging me into the abyss of foliage. My heart, weightless as a fine down in the wind, lifted me back up. Massive wings that anchored themselves from my sides spread outwards as if to embrace the world itself, on instinct they caught the downwind and used the force to climb higher. My legs thrashed as if the motion of galloping across the sky would drive my aerial limbs to pump harder and ascend higher. The stars seemed ever so close, if I closed my eyes I could imagine them brushing tender kisses to my cheeks. The cold, thin air invaded my lungs, the icicles it could have formed in my chest only made me feel more alive. I found myself among the clouds before I finally slowed my ascent.

Isn't it beautiful.

The voice that rang clear in my head was horribly vain, it sounded self-righteous- completely out of line for any thoughts I had. Even my wandering egotistical urges would be offered to me softly and in tone subdued.

She laughed in my mind.

Do not fear me, little pony.

Little pony? Oh, I supposed I would be a pony now, although little was a smidgen debatable.

"Who are you?" My voice was a bell that echoed across the empty sky, it no longer sounded like me. It was powerful, mature, but it held those notes of nervousness that burrowed itself into my very being.

Don't be a foal, I know you know.

I looked around, eyes flicking about as I drank up the picturesque scenery below me. I hesitated in a response, "Nightmare Moon. But you're not real."

I am just as real as you, there was a playful lilt to her monologue. Unless you don't believe this is real, in which case we are equally false.

"I couldn't tell what was real or not anymore long before you came here." The somber, almost bitter, inflection of my words frightened me. Who was I to express my jaded thoughts to anyone so bluntly? My frustration with myself worsened as I realized I was giving validation to a voice in my head and this surreal dream of having an equine form. It was a lucid sleep, I would wake up any moment now.

Had you considered that is why I'm here?

I couldn't see her, but I could see her raised eyebrow, the hint of a teasing grin. Wasn't she a villain, last I had known? Why would she be so tender now, then? I scowled, snapping silently at myself for attempting to rationalize the irrational.

You aren't meant for this existence, little pony. Our worlds are leaking into each other around you, you'd do better in a world suited for magical beings.

"That's a bit contrived." I licked my lips nervously. Truthfully, her words felt exciting. I'd felt that way so many times, too many times to count, but to be told them made me skeptical of the validity of the messenger.

Does it matter if it left you entertained?

I couldn't argue with her.

"The chat was nice, but I need to find somewhere to lay down." I murmured, my wings beginning to burn from being overworked while still fresh and previously unused. I scanned the area, a spark igniting as I recalled a space I could hide for the time it would take to rest. My body was like an eel slinking around in the velvet waters of the night sky, dancing through the clouds as I made my way to a place that rested in my hazy memory.

The place I sought was a small, forested inlet that licked the rocky beach a short walk from where I had lived. The surrounding area was densely coated in fertile trees bearing fruits heavy with sweet juice, dark green bushes mottled with brightly colored petals. The waves crashed against the cliff-side, the salty spray dampening my skin as I nestled into the lush grass. The sounds of the ocean was a lullaby, if I had not gone numb from the fear I believe they would have calmed my nerves.

Fear, I had decided solemnly, was a type of anesthetic. My head felt like it was still in the clouds, my hooves unresponsive to tactile sensations, my soul hovered above my unusual form. The feeling of my heartbeat rippled inside of my flesh, each beat echoing in my bones, it’s rhythm sang me an earthly song to remind myself I was alive.

Alive… was this being alive? I pulled my limbs to myself, bare and awkwardly spindly. I felt like an infant animal, some part of me held the innate knowledge of how to pilot this mess of muscle and bones, yet the forefront of my consciousness still had to learn the intricacies and art of moving with grace and ease.

I moved my swan-like neck to curl further into myself, resting my heavy skull into the nest of lush grass and flowers that seemed to always be in bloom. Their fragrance painted swirling colors behind my closed eyelids, the rushing sounds of a nearby waterfall feeding the hungry sea drowned out the sound of my thoughts.

Please rest well, little pony. Soon you will need to run.

“Run…?” The words slipped from my breathless lips, pressing closer into the sweet smells of nature enveloping me in a kindly hug.

I will explain when you awaken.

Her voice seemed to lull me deeper, my muscles feeling too weak to even shift my sleeping position. I wondered if she was shrouding me in a spell, but I was too tired to even consider caring about that now. I’d care about it later… I would care about all of this later. I was too tired to think anymore… The world slipped into a serene nothing, no sounds of birds singing while water rushes, no warm breeze to lick my fur and wet it with salt.

I was awoken by flashing lights and the cacophony of human curiosity.

Author's Note:

Happy New Years Eve!! I wanted to try to get one more chapter out before the end of the decade, I really hope you all enjoy! Like stated elsewhere, an alter going by Purple Star has helped me with editing and writing. She states she prefers MNiNM over She Doesn't Smile because I love to get needlessly verbose and that's fun for her.

Thank you to everyone who has read and favorited this fic! So many of you have, and each notification I get makes me super happy. I'm really glad to be able to put something out there people still enjoy ALMOST SEVEN YEARS LATER! It's amazing to me!

Here's your backstory for this chapter: My schizophrenia often manifests in delusions more-so than hallucinations. Some of my recurring delusions are either that I am an immortal god, or otherwise some kind of anomaly that shouldn't exist here and needs to return to my proper timeline. While rewriting MNiNM I was wondering what justification Nightmare Moon would give to why she decides to possess a random child. Since so much of it is already heavily drawing from my real life experiences of living with dissociative and psychotic disorders, it would be interesting to include those delusions as a way to push the plot forward. It's a bit contrived, but really, isn't ALL fiction contrived?

That's all I have for now! Purple Star and I wish you all have a safe and happy 2020, everyone! See you all next decade!

Comments ( 8 )

Woo! Very nice. Also... aw shit here we go again.

10012292
Thank you! And buckle up for the ride >:3c

This fic tugs at my heartstrings.:fluttercry: Must see more!

Did you draw that cover art? Assuming you did that is impressive.

10081755
I did! Thank you! :heart:

I remember reading it back then. Glad that you're back at it! And the cover at is very nice.

Damn, of course, a fucking cliffhanger. Fuck me.

10012360
Please, if you are reading this, write more because I loved the original. And I love this rewrite. So please write more.

Login or register to comment