• Published 23rd Feb 2020
  • 4,964 Views, 382 Comments

Regression: Isekai of Equestria - JackofEquestria



Jack was once a rising senior at CCU, but now he and a large chunk of South Carolina have been sent to Equestria and to top it off he's been turned into a 7-year-old.

  • ...
61
 382
 4,964

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 3: Applebuck Season (Last Edited: 5/18/2022)

June 15, 2020

Fluttershy’s Cottage

Jack glumly sat in Fluttershy's living room, waiting for his medication to kick in. He found himself contemplating the face Fluttershy had given upon his return. It was a face he was all too familiar with. One of a mother about to say, 'I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.' There had been a disturbing lack of freedom since he returned. Disturbing not in how strictly it was enforced, but rather how loosely. Fluttershy hadn't said a word, but even still, Jack knew he wasn't allowed out.

"This is such bullshit," he sighed.

Having just finished cleaning the kitchen, Fluttershy poked her head into the living room. “Um, are you ready for class?” she asked.

"Yeah, I'm ready," Jack huffed, ripping his bag from the closet.

Ponyville Town Square

As they reached the Town Square, which was about two-thirds the way between Fluttershy's Cottage and the school, Jack was knocked off his feet by a violent jolt. “EARTHQUAKE!” he thought as he struggled to his feet through the constant shaking.

Having grown up on a fault line, Jack was no stranger to earthquakes. Although the earthquakes he was used to were not this strong, a light shake, occasionally a chandelier might move a little, otherwise barely noticeable. As far as Jack was concerned, what he felt now was practically apocalyptic.

STAMPEDE!” yelled a voice from above.

Jack looked up to see Rainbow Dash pointing to something in the distance. Following her hoof, he spotted a cloud of dust approaching the town. The street erupted into chaos as ponies ran around in panic. One pony, Jack noticed, was not taking the stampede as seriously as the rest.

“Hey...!” Pinkie Pie laughed, letting the ground cause her to vibrate. “This makes my voice sound silly!”

Goddammit, Pinkie!” thought Jack.

“Pinkie Pie, are you crazy?!” asked Twilight as she reared on her hind legs. “Run!”

Suddenly Jack found himself being lifted into the air.

“Put me down!” he yelled, flailing his arms to little effect.

"Calm down, it's me," said Fluttershy.

“Um, Fluttershy. Could you please let me down?” said Jack as he stopped struggling.

"Oh, um, sure," she responded, carrying him to the ground.

“What was that all about?” asked Jack.

"W-well, when I saw you just standing there while everypony else was panicking, I thought you might need help," said Fluttershy.

"Well, I didn't!" Jack snapped.

Fluttershy flinched at Jack's harsh tone and timidly changed the subject. "W-well, um, let's go ahead and get you to class."

They arrived at the schoolhouse with only 5 minutes left before class was scheduled to start. When Jack walked into class, he was met with every foal staring at him in either admiration or disdain. Specifically, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon looked at him with contempt while the others looked with respect.

“What?” asked Jack. “Is there something on my face?”

“You stood up to Diamond Tiara!” shouted Snips.

“Yeah, that makes you, like a hero, eh!” added Snails.

"Noponyth ever done that before," said Twist.

"Guys, the only reason I lashed out like that was because I was out of medication," Jack said, his cheeks burning in embarrassment. "It was a mistake, not something to be proud of."

"So, not only are you an animal, but you're a broken one too," sneered Diamond Tiara.

"Maybe you'd be better off at the asylum. That way, you'd never run out of your pills," laughed Silver Spoon.

"Whatever," sighed Jack as he sat down next to Apple Bloom.

As he began to unload his backpack, he noticed a piece of paper on his desk. Upon closer examination, he realized it was a note.

Thank you for last week. Do you want to play after school? Apple Bloom.

Sure. Jack wrote before passing the note to Apple Bloom.

Apple Bloom grinned when she saw his response and started to write another note. However, before she could finish, Cheerilee entered the classroom and walked up to the chalkboard. "Good morning, class!"

"Good morning, Miss Cheerilee," the class responded.

"Before we begin, I'd like to announce that next Monday's class will be canceled, so everypony can attend the town assembly thanking Applejack for saving Ponyville from this morning's stampede," Cheerilee stated. "In the meantime, we will continue learning the basics of division.”

The rest of the class was relatively uneventful. Cheerilee would ask a question, and whenever a student would get an answer wrong, they would be talked down to by Diamond Tiara. On the other hand, when Diamond Tiara answered a question, Cheerilee would reluctantly praise her for being correct, even when she clearly was wrong. Jack figured this must've been due to Cheerilee's fear of Diamond Tiara's father.

The class eventually came to an end, and Jack found Fluttershy waiting outside. "How was school today, Jack?" she asked.

"It was good," Jack answered. "Apple Bloom invited me to hang out with her after class."

"That's great!" Fluttershy quietly exclaimed. "I'm glad you've made a friend."

“I’m gonna go now. See you later!” said Jack as he ran off.

"Wait, um, I'll take you to Sweet Apple Acres," said Fluttershy.

“Where?” asked Jack.

"The Apple's farm, where Apple Bloom lives," Fluttershy answered.

"Oh, well, I guess you can go with me," Jack said, facepalming at the realization that he never bothered to ask where Apple Bloom lived.

Fluttershy led Jack to a large apple orchard. As they walked past the many apple trees, Jack wondered how many employees the Apples had working for them. It occurred to him that he didn't really have any money to speak of, at least not any that would be accepted in Equestria. “Maybe the Apples are hiring," he thought.

They soon made it to a red farmhouse, which Jack assumed must be the Apple's home. He knocked on the door, and a large red stallion wrapped in bandages answered.

"Hello, I'm Jack," he introduced. "Is Apple Bloom here?"

"Eyup," said the stallion.

"Big Mac, who's at the door?" asked an elderly mare from inside.

"Fluttershy is here with the human foal she adopted," answered the stallion, now identified as Big Mac.

The elderly mare walked outside. “Howdy, Fluttershy," she greeted. "Did ye come here for some apples fer yer animals?"

"Um, no, Granny Smith, I brought Jack over to play with Apple Bloom," Fluttershy answered.

“Who now?” asked Granny Smith confusedly.

“The Human foal I adopted," Fluttershy said, pointing to Jack.

"Well, ain't you a strange-looking feller," said Granny Smith, looking at Jack. “Apple Bloom, yer friend from school, is here!”

Apple Bloom rushed down the stairs. “Ah’m so glad you made it!” she said as she reached the door.

"I'm happy to be here," Jack responded, shifting awkwardly.

"You and yer friend have fun now," said Granny Smith as Jack and Apple Bloom ran off.

"I'll pick you up at 5:00," Fluttershy called after him.

South Orchard

“Ah wanna thank ya again fer stickin' up fer me last week," said Apple Bloom as they walked through a forest of golden delicious trees.

"It was nothing worthy of thanks," Jack sighed, waving his hand dismissively.

"It was somethin' to me," said Apple Bloom. "Diamond Tiara's mean tuh everypony, but she treats me the worst.”

"Why's that?" Jack asked.

“Ah think it's because of mah family. Most business-class ponies don't really like us," Apple Bloom answered, staring at the ground. “Is it true the only reason ya stood up for me was because of the medication?”

"Mostly. While the reason I lashed out was the lack of meds, that wasn't the reason for my anger," Jack said, stroking his chin where his beard used to be.

“Then why?” asked Apple Bloom.

“When I was your age, I was bullied because of my condition," Jack answered. "I guess you could say I saw a bit of myself in you."

“What do ya mean, 'when ya were my age?' We're the same age, ain't we?" Apple Bloom asked, tilting her head.

“Oh, um, I misspoke!” Jack said quickly. “What I meant to say was before I came to Equestria.”

"Ok, that makes much more sense," responded Apple Bloom. “Do ya miss 'em?”

“Who?” asked Jack.

"Yer parents," answered Apple Bloom.

"Oh, yes, I miss them a lot," Jack said, fake sobbing.

“Ah’m sorry, Ah didn’ mean tuh make ya sad," said Apple Bloom. "It’s just, Ah don’t remember mah parents."

“Why not?” asked Jack.

"Mah pa was killed before Ah was born, and mah ma disappeared when Ah was little," Apple Bloom responded.

"I'm sorry to hear that," said Jack, struggling to find a more appropriate response.

“Don’t be sorry. Like Ah said, Ah don't remember 'em," she said, looking to the sky. "Ya can't really miss what ya don't remember, can ya?"

Jack thought about what Apple Bloom said. It made sense, but at the same time, it was still sad. “So, I guess Applejack takes care of you then?"

"Yup, she's a great big sister," said Apple Bloom. "Even if she's a bit overprotective sometimes."

Jack chuckled.

“What’s so funny?” asked Apple Bloom.

"Nothing. It's just that Fluttershy is very overprotective too," he answered.

Jack and Apple Bloom hung out for the remainder of the day until Fluttershy came to pick him up. The two quickly became friends, and Jack found himself coming over to Sweet Apple Acres every day for the next week. The two friends did everything from hide and seek to building forts in the barn. All this almost made Jack feel like he really was a child again. However, there was always the voice in the back of his head, reminding him he wasn't.

June 22, 2020

Ponyville Town Square

A week had passed since Jack and Apple Bloom became friends. It was now the day Applejack was set to be rewarded for saving the town, and the two friends had decided to go together. Twilight walked onto the stage and shuffled a script.

“Welcome, everypony! Today we are here to honor a pony we can always count on to help in matters great and small. A pony whose contributions to…” Twilight started before Rainbow Dash cut her off.

“Did you see Applejack's slick moves out there? What an athlete. This week she's gonna help me with my new flying trick, and I know it's gonna be so awesome," she squeed.

Seriously, Rainbow Dash? I’d have expected that from Pinkie Pie," thought Jack.

“Exactly. And...” Twilight started before being interrupted again.

“This week, I get to run Sugarcube Corner for the first time," said Pinkie Pie.

Yep, there it is," thought Jack as he rolled his eyes.

“What does that have to do with Applejack?” asked Twilight.

Pinkie blinked her eyes a few times in confusion.

“Oh! Applejack, one of the best bakers ever, is gonna help me. Applejack makes everything great, so free samples for everypony!” she explained upon understanding the question.

Everyone cheered upon hearing this.

“Is your sister’s cooking really that good?” Jack asked Apple Bloom.

“Absolutely, mah sister’s the best baker in Ponyville!” Apple Bloom exclaimed.

“Oh-kay, that's great. Now, if I could just make a point without being inter…” Twilight began before being interrupted yet again.

“Twilight?” said Fluttershy as she made her way to the podium.

“rupted," Twilight finished with a glare.

“Twilight, I'm so sorry, but I just wanted to mention that Applejack is also helping me this week with the official bunny census, where we count up all the new baby bunnies that were born this season. She's gonna help gather them using her wonderful herding skills," Fluttershy said as Twilight glared.

“Anyone else? Anyone? No? Well then, as I was trying to say...” Twilight started before noticing Mayor Mare waiting for her to finish. “Urgh! Never mind!” she shouted as she dropped her notes and stormed off.

“Ah-ahem. And so, with no further ado, it is my privilege to give the prize, Pony of Ponyville Award, to our beloved guest of honor, a pony of the utmost trustworthiness, reliability, and integrity. Ponyville's most capable and dependable friend: Applejack!” announced the mayor as she opened the curtain to reveal Applejack wasn’t there.

“Cool! Way to go, Applejack, that was awesome!” said Spike before he noticed the lack of Applejack. “I mean—heh.”

“Is it normal for your sister to be late?” Jack asked Apple Bloom,

"No, she's never late fer anythin'," answered Apple Bloom.

An exhausted Applejack began walking through the crowd. “Ah'm here. Ah'm here. Sorry Ah'm late--whoa--Ah was just... whoa... Did Ah get yer tail?” she said as she made her way up to the stage. “Miss Mayor. Thank ya kindly fer this here... award thingy," she yawned. "It's so bright and shiny and, heh, heh heh, Ah sure do look funny heh,” she said, noticing her reflection in the trophy.

Applejack began bobbing her head toward the trophy while making noises and was quickly joined by Pinkie Pie.

“Is your sister alright?" asked Jack. "She seems tired."

“She’s been bucking the orchard all by herself since Big Macintosh hurt himself last week," answered Apple Bloom.

“Bucking the orchard?” asked Jack.

"Yeah, when the apples ripen, Applejack and Big Macintosh go out into the orchard and buck the trees tuh get the apples," answered Apple Bloom. "Everypony knows that."

“Ok. Well, thank you, Applejack, for saving us from that scary stampede and always being there for everypony," said Twilight.

“Yeah. Ah, like helping the ponyfolks and, and stuff," yawned Applejack before briefly falling asleep. "Oh, uh, yeah. Uh, thanks," she said before dragging her trophy off.

Sugarcube Corner

After the award ceremony, Fluttershy reluctantly permitted Jack to hang out with Apple Bloom for the rest of the day. After a while, the two stopped by Sugarcube Corner to try some of the muffins Applejack and Pinkie Pie made.

“Free muffin samples spectacular!" shouted Pinkie Pie.

“Yeah! Muffin spectacles! Get 'em while they're hot," said Applejack.

Jack brought two muffins to a table for him and Apple Bloom to share.

"These look delicious. Ah can't wait to try 'em," said Apple Bloom as Jack scarfed his down in a few seconds.

“I wouldn’t recommend it!” Jack said as he clutched his stomach.

“What’s wrong!?” Apple Bloom asked.

“BLEEEGH!!!!” Jack vomited violently.

“Oh no! what do Ah do?” Apple Bloom frantically asked. “Ah’ll go get help!” she told Jack before running off.

Ponyville General Hospital

“We came as soon as we heard," said Twilight with Spike by her side.

“Oh, thank you, Twilight. We need all the help we can get," said a nurse.

“Oh, no! What happened?” asked Twilight.

“It was a mishap with some of the baked goods," said the nurse. "It's just mild food poisoning. Most of the ponies will be fine, although the human foal has the worst case I’ve ever seen.”

"Can ya help him, Nurse Redheart?!” asked Apple Bloom. "Is he gonna be ok?"

"Normally, I'd prescribe antibiotics for a case this bad, but I don't know what drugs to use for humans," explained Redheart. "Your special somepony will just need to drink plenty of water and endure it.”

“It’s not like that!” shouted Apple Bloom, her face turning the same shade as her mane.

“Applejack!” realized Twilight as Spike ate one of the tainted muffins.

“Want one?” asked Spike as he held up one of the muffins.

Bunny Burrows near Fluttershy’s Cottage

"I'm sorry to leave you with so little instruction, but poor Jack has gotten sick, and I need to take care of him," Fluttershy explained to Applejack. "Will you be fine on your own?"

“Sure as sugar, Fluttershy!” Applejack yawned.

"Thank you so much, Applejack," Fluttershy said as she rushed off toward the hospital.

Ponyville

When Fluttershy arrived, Jack was feeling well enough to be discharged from the hospital. Redheart informed her that the bill would be sent within a week. As they walked home, Jack was still weakened by dehydration.

“Will you be all right?” asked Fluttershy with concern.

"I'm fine," Jack panted. "I do maintenance work on a beach in the Summer. This is nothing."

Jack wasn't lying. He often found himself dehydrated at work. However, his age regressed body was far less durable than the manual labor hardened one he was used to.

“STAMPEDE!” yelled Rainbow Dash from above.

"Not again," wailed Fluttershy.

The town was soon overrun with bunnies who devoured every plant in sight. Fluttershy rushed Jack out of there. When they arrived home, Jack guzzled a gallon of water. Twilight soon arrived and asked Fluttershy to help Applejack finish harvesting the orchard. Jack offered to help, but Fluttershy told him he needed to rest. Usually, he would have argued, but he knew she was right.

Author's Note:

I think I did a much better job with this Chapter than I did with the last two. I'm done with school for the semester, although I do have a Maymester starting on the 16th. I'll also be going back to work in June.
Next time: Fluttershy leaves Jack in the care of Rainbow Dash, and Jack confronts a stalker.

PreviousChapters Next