• Published 23rd Feb 2020
  • 4,997 Views, 382 Comments

Regression: Isekai of Equestria - JackofEquestria



Jack was once a rising senior at CCU, but now he and a large chunk of South Carolina have been sent to Equestria and to top it off he's been turned into a 7-year-old.

  • ...
61
 382
 4,997

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 9: Dragonshy (Last Edited: 6/17/2022)

July 1, 2020

Jack’s Room

With a loud yawn, Jack rose from his covers. His head was killing him. It almost felt like he had a hangover. Holding a hand over his forehead, he noticed several new sets of clothes folded on his dresser. Rarity must have sent them overnight. As he put on a blue shirt and some brown shorts and took his pills, which had been left out beside the clothes, one question drowned out all other thoughts.

What did she do to me?" he wondered, recalling how, with a single glance, he had been completely enthralled to Fluttershy's will. "I had better go talk to her.

He grabbed the doorknob and tried to turn it. "Is it jammed?" he wondered.

Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a note taped to the door.

2 Hours Prior

Fluttershy was doing her morning rounds, feeding her animals. She was currently giving the otters under the bridge some fish, although something else was on her mind. “Maybe I’m being too overprotective with Jack. Sure, he wasn’t behaving, but using the stare on him may have been a bit much," she thought before remembering how beat up Jack had been when Scootaloo brought him home the night before. "No, it was for his own safety, the princess trusted me with being his mother, and if he keeps getting himself into danger like that, then I'm not doing my job," she resolved as she fed a hoof full of worms to a few nesting birds.

Noticing that Angel was eating his carrot too quickly, Fluttershy swooped down to confront him. Her scolding only caused the bunny to spit the carrot out and refuse to finish it. Fluttershy attempted to get him to finish his food, but after a long struggle, Angel kicked the carrot away and hopped off. Fluttershy let out a sigh of defeat. Not long after, Angel was overcome by a fit of coughing.

“Oh, goodness. Are you okay?" asked Fluttershy.

Angel coughed again.

“Are you coughing because there's a carrot stuck in your throat?” she asked.

He coughed again.

“Because you need some water?” she asked.

He coughed even louder before pointing to the sky. Fluttershy followed where the bunny was pointing and noticed a trail of black smoke.

“Because of that giant cloud of scary black smoke?" she gasped, prompting Angel to throw the carrot at her. “I'll take that as a... yes.”

Fluttershy ran into town and tried to warn the other ponies about the smoke. Unfortunately, no one would listen to her. Just as she was about to give up, Twilight got everyone's attention. To Fluttershy's relief, Twilight revealed that there was no fire. That relief, however, was short-lived as the true culprit was a dragon.

Golden Oak Library

5 minutes later

Fluttershy and the rest of the Mane Six were gathered in the library.

“What in the name of all things cinnamon swirled is a full-grown dragon doing here in Equestria?” asked Applejack.

“Sleeping," answered Twilight.

“Huh?” everyone asked.

“According to Princess Celestia, he's taking a nap. His snoring is what's causing all this smoke," Twilight explained.

“He should really see a doctor. That doesn't sound healthy at all," said Pinkie Pie.

“Well, at least he's not snoring fire. What are we meant to do about it?” asked Rarity.

“I'll tell you what we're meant to do. Give him the boot! Take that!" Rainbow Dash said as she kicked a wooden bust. “And that!" she said, going in for another attack but missing due to Twilight moving the statue out of the way.

“We need to encourage him to take a nap somewhere else. Princess Celestia has given us this mission, and we must not fail. If we do, Equestria will be covered in smoke for the next one hundred years," explained Twilight.

“Hmph. Talk about getting your beauty sleep," said Rarity.

“All right, everypony, I need you to gather supplies quickly. We've got a long journey ahead of us. Let's meet back here in less than an hour," said Twilight as she put her scrolls in a bag.

“Okay, girls, you heard her," said Rainbow Dash. “The fate of Equestria is in our hooves," she said as she wrapped hers around Pinkie and Rarity. “Do we have what it takes?”

The other ponies (except for Fluttershy) enthusiastically agreed and left to prepare.

“Um, actually...” she started. “I better go get ready."

Fluttershy’s Cottage

10 minutes later

Fluttershy had garbed herself in whatever she could find for armor and was about to leave when she realized Jack was still asleep. “I can’t take him with me, but if I leave him here, he might go off and get hurt."

An Idea popped into her head. She found a strip of paper and began writing Jack a note.

Dear Jack,
A dragon is taking a nap nearby, blanketing Ponyville in smoke. Princess Celestia has requested that my friends and I convince it to leave. I’m going to leave your meds on the dresser with the clothes Rarity sent over last night. There are some snacks in the drawer if you get hungry.
See you when I get back!
Fluttershy

When Fluttershy had finished leaving Jack's provisions, she tapped the note to his door and locked it behind her as Angel Bunny watched, arms crossed disapprovingly. "I'm leaving now, Angel," Fluttershy called as she flew down the stairs. "Make sure Jack doesn't get himself in trouble!"

Present Time

Jack slowly put the note down. The veins in his face pulsed violently, and his eyes began to twitch. “ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME! LET ME OUT RIGHT NOW, GOD DAMNIT!!!!!” he yelled as he viciously pounded the door. “She’s fucking lost it!" he thought, his hands starting to ache from their exertions.

After about 10 minutes, he marched up to the window and charged the door like an angry rhino. There was a quiet click unheard by Jack. Rather than hit the door, he found himself crashing into the hallway. “OWWWW!!!!” he yelled, the pain of hitting the wall amplified by the pain of his existing wounds. “Fuck!”

He painfully got to his feet and scanned the hallway for his savior, and after a few seconds, his eyes landed on a fuming Angel Bunny.

"Uh, thanks," Jack said, tilting his head in confusion. "Why did you help me?"

Angel pointed at the note.

“You want me to go after her?” Jack asked.

Angel nodded.

“Got it," Jack said, grabbing his gun and some ammo and rushing out the front door.

When he got outside, he found Spike lying down in the meadow, taking a bite out of a large ruby.

"Spike!" Jack shouted, causing the dragon to look up from his snack.

"Oh, hey, Jack!" Spike greeted with a friendly wave. "You all rested up?"

"Hey, Spike! When did you get here?" asked Jack.

"About an hour and a half ago," Spike explained. "Fluttershy said not to disturb you because you didn't sleep well last night."

“Where is she now?” asked Jack.

"She went with Twilight and the girls to that mountain over there," Spike explained, pointing to a large mountain with smoke pillaring out.

"Thanks, Spike," said Jack as he rushed off in the direction of the mountain.

“Where are you going!?” asked Spike.

“I need to talk to Fluttershy!” Jack shouted back.

“Wait!” Spike said as he ran after Jack. “There’s a full-grown dragon on that mountain!”

"I know. Fluttershy left a note saying what she was doing," Jack responded as Spike caught up.

“And you’re going anyway!? Are you insane!?” Spike asked incredulously.

“Yep."

"What could be so important that you need to go all the way to the mountains to tell her?”

“I want to ask why she locked me in my room and used that weird mind control shit on me," Jack replied bitterly.

"Wait, you mean, she used the stare on you?" asked Spike, eyes wide in shock.

So that’s what it’s called," thought Jack. "Yeah, that's right.”

"Well, she must've had a reason," Spike rationalized. "I mean, she hates using the stare."

"Oh, she had a reason all right," Jack spat. "It just wasn't a good one."

"Come on," Spike said as he grabbed Jack's arms in an attempt to bring him back. “You can talk to her when she gets back.”

Jack's body had been significantly weakened by its regression into seven-year-old, and the punishment it had taken not even half a week prior didn't help either. Still, the baby dragon was unable to hold him back and was easily shoved aside.

"You're not gonna stop me, Spike," Jack said as the dragon got back to his feet. "Stay out of my way.”

“You’re right, I can’t stop you, but I can’t let you go on your own either," Spike resolved. "Besides, Twilight left me a map."

Unnamed Mountain

2 hours later

Jack and Spike arrived at the mountain in good time. Jack was still a little sore from his wounds, but he noticed that they had healed unusually quickly. Another thing he noticed was how rapidly his stamina recovered. Admittedly, it wasn't as quick as in his adult body, but he didn't need to take nearly as many breaks as he would have in his actual childhood. Perhaps his magic might be playing a role in his healing and stamina recovery.

“How long do you think it will take to get to the top?” panted Spike.

“Probably about as long as it took us to get this far," Jack answered, looking up to the peak. "Let me see the map."

"Here you go," Spike said, passing the map to Jack.

"It looks like there is a path over there," said Jack, pointing east.

Upon finding the path, Jack and Spike began their ascent. After about thirty minutes, they arrived at an area of level ground littered with games of tic tac toe (all of which seem to have been victories for the o's.)

"Well, I think it's safe to say we're on the right track," said Jack, noticing where the path continued up the side of the mountain. "Let's go, Spike."

“Just…. give… me…. a few… minutes,” Spike huffed.

"Fine," Jack sitting on a smooth slab of granite. He wouldn't admit it, but his legs were killing him too.

“So, what did you do, anyway?” asked Spike. “That got Fluttershy to punish you, I mean.”

"She's really overprotective," Jack sighed. "When she first started taking care of me, she wouldn’t let me outside by myself. She backed off a little when I started hanging out with Apple Bloom and Scootaloo, but I guess after the ursa attack, she decided that even that was too much freedom."

“What do you mean?” Spike asked.

"Yesterday, when I said I was going to hang out with Apple Bloom, Fluttershy tried to stop me, and I didn't listen to her. That's when she used the stare on me," Jack explained.

“I guess that’s a bit much," Spike said, placing a claw on his chin, "but she is like your mother now…"

"No, she ain't," Jack said, his voice raised and his southern accent becoming more pronounced. "You wouldn't understand," he said normally, slumping his shoulders.

“I do understand," Spike said, placing a scaly palm on Jack's right kneecap. "I'm an orphan too, or at least I think I am."

“What do you mean, at least you think you are?” asked Jack.

"Twilight's taken care of me since I hatched," Spike explained. "I'll never admit it to her, but she's like a mother to me. Isn't Fluttershy the same for you?"

“Not really..." Jack responded. “Anyway, we’ve rested long enough. Let’s get going.”

After another half hour of hiking, they found their path being blocked by a ravine.

“How will we get across?” asked Spike.

Jack scanned the other side. “It’s not far. We could just jump.”

“But what if we fall?” Spike asked.

"What was that?" Jack asked from the other side. "Come on. You're wasting time."

"Wait for me!” Spike yelled as he jumped to the other side.

When Spike's feet hit the ledge, he found himself slipping. “HELP!!”

"I've got you," said Jack, grabbing Spike's arm. "Now, let's go!"

After another thirty minutes, they came upon another obstruction.

"Looks like a landslide," said Jack.

The mass of rock and dirt seemed insurmountable in the eyes of Spike, who let out an audible gulp. “How the hay are we gonna get past this?”

"I guess we'll just have to climb," Jack said blankly.

The climb was treacherous. The ground gave way beneath them no less than five times, yet still, they persisted. Once the unstable landslide was overcome, they were home free and soon reached the peak, finding the Mane Six (except Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy) gathered around the cave's mouth.

“WHERE’S FLUTTERSHY?!” Jack roared.

“Jack? Spike?” asked Twilight.

“What in Equestria were you both thinking, coming here?” Rarity asked with a frown. “It’s dangerous.”

"Weren't you s'posed to be takin' care of Fluttershy's critters, Spike?" asked Applejack.

“Yeah, but Jack…” started Spike.

"Was locked in his room by Fluttershy due to her crazy overprotectiveness and decided to come here to give her a piece of his mind, and then you decided to come with him when you realized you couldn't stop him?" asked Pinkie Pie.

“How did you know that?” asked Jack, a little frightened by how on the money Pinkie was.

"Lucky guess," Pinkie replied with an innocent grin.

Goddammit, Pinkie!” thought Jack.

Before anyone could say anything else, there was a deafening roar, and Rainbow Dash was flung from the cave like a ragdoll, knocking everyone over like bowling pins.

When Jack regained his senses, he saw a giant brick red dragon looming over him, and it looked pissed.

“Oh shit!” he yelled as he pulled out his gun and emptied the clip into the dragon's reptilian scales.

The dragon narrowed its eyes and roared again. The force of the air pining Jack to the ground.

Why did I think that would work?” thought Jack with a gulp.

A stream of fire shot from the dragon's mouth, and just as it was about to hit, Jack heard a scream in the background. However, the cry didn't register as much as the tingling sensation. His eyes turned emerald, and a shield of the same hue surrounded him.

When the fire stream ended, the dragon was shocked to find its target hadn’t even been singed. “Human!” it gasped in realization before unleashing a more powerful blast of fire.

Jack countered with a beam of emerald magic, which exploded upon impact with the fire. The dragon lost track of him in the blast and was nearly taken by surprise when Jack came flying out of the cloud of smoke. But, unfortunately, nearly wasn’t good enough, and the dragon caught him in mid-air.

“Impressive, human, but not impressive enough. If you were the one in control and had enough training, you might have had a chance, but as it stands, the magic controls you, not the other way around," the dragon said, squeezing Jack in its muscular fingers. "It's almost a shame I have to kill you now. You would have made a worthy foe had you mastered your magic. Unfortunately, if you live then he will find you."

Jack screamed in pure agony as the dragon continued squeezing.

"You've lasted this long because the magic still has control. When it fades, you’ll be squashed like a bug!” the dragon growled.

“PUT HIM DOWN!”

Jack looked over his shoulder to see Fluttershy glaring at the dragon.

2 minutes prior

Fluttershy was cowering behind a rock when she heard the roar. She was terrified to her core and had no intention of moving from the boulder's safety, and she wouldn't have if it weren't for one thing. There were ten loud bangs, and then she heard him.

“Oh shit!”

Jack? What’s he doing here?” wondered Fluttershy as she timidly peaked over the rock. “I thought I locked him in his room.

She spotted Jack on the ground, pointing a strange object at the dragon, who responded with a terrifying roar. Before Fluttershy had time to think any further, the dragon unleashed its fiery breath upon him.

“JAAACK!!!” she screamed, tears pouring from her eyes as her heart rate skyrocketed.

As the dust cleared, Jack stood intact to her immense relief, surrounded by his emerald shield.

Oh, thank goodness," she thought as her heart rate returned to normal. “But how did he do that?"

"Human!" she heard the dragon gasp before it fired another blast.

Upon witnessing the second blast, Fluttershy bolted into action without a thought but soon lost track of Jack when the fire blast exploded. When the smoke cleared, she spotted the dragon speaking to Jack as it slowly crushed him in its claws.

“PUT HIM DOWN!” she shouted as she flew toward it.

Landing on its snout, she quickly began to lecture the dragon. “Listen here, mister. Just because you're big doesn't mean you get to be a bully! You may have huge teeth and sharp scales, and snore smoke, and breathe fire. But you do not—I repeat—you do not! Hurt! My! Son!" she yelled, looking the dragon directly in one of its eyes. “You got that?" she added, causing the dragon to flinch.

“But you don’t understand, he’s a hum…” the dragon started.

“I know what he is. Whatever problems you have with humans, you're bigger than he is, and you should know better. You should also know better than to take a nap where your snoring can become a health hazard to other creatures," Fluttershy said sternly.

"But I…" the dragon started.

“Don't you 'but I' me, mister. Now, what do you have to say for yourself? I said, what do you have to say for yourself?” Fluttershy scolded.

The dragon broke out in tears and released Jack from its claws. Rainbow Dash swooped up the boy's limp form before he could hit the ground.

“There, there. No need to cry," Fluttershy said as she comfortingly rubbed the dragon's snout before beginning to fly down to her friends. “You're not a bad dragon. You just made a bad decision. Now go pack your things. You just need to find a new place to sleep. That's all.”

Spike and the Mane Six cheered as the dragon flew off.

“You did it! I knew you could do it," Twilight said to Fluttershy. “But what was that about your son? You didn’t mean Jack, did you?”

"Um, we really don't have time for this; we need to get Jack back to Ponyville," Fluttershy responded, pointing to where Rainbow Dash was carrying the unconscious human.

Sky Above Equestria

Those ponies have no idea what they are dealing with," thought the red dragon as he searched for a new place to rest. "If there is a human in Equestria, it won't be long before he finds out, and I shudder to think what will happen then. What role will this human play, I wonder? Will he protect Equestria, or will he help destroy it?" The dragon then gave a long sigh. "I wonder if he’s anything like the Young Mistress.”

October 9, 1607 AD

Froggy Bottom Bog

A teenage red dragon fiercely fought his way past wave after wave of humans. Most of them were no match for a dragon of his skill, and after knocking out what he believed to be the last one with a well-timed tail swipe to the skull, he took the chance to catch his breath. But, unknown to him, he missed one. A muscular human with glowing red eyes slowly snuck up behind him. However, just as he was about to strike the dragon down, there was a loud bang, and the man fell to the ground with a thud.

The dragon turned to see a human girl in her late teens pointing a smoking wheellock pistol where the man stood.

"Mistress Dare, I was sloppy!" the dragon lamented, bowing his head in shame. "Had you not stepped in, I might have been killed," the dragon continued, clenching his fist. “Thank you!”

“You don’t need to thank me, Razer. You would have done the same thing for me if I were in your position," Dare responded. "And how many times must I tell you not to be so formal? Virginia is just fine,” she said as her eyes flashed white. “Now, let’s finish this fight!”

Present Time

If the boy is anything like Mistress Dare, I think he’ll be just fine," Razer finally decided as he flew toward the horizon.

Author's Note:

Sorry this took longer than I expected! Something came up at work on Wednesday, and I had to work overtime, and then I had the idea for the dragon’s back story. By the way, anyone who knows who Virginia Dare was gets a cookie!
Next time: Jack finally confronts Fluttershy about her overprotectiveness.

PreviousChapters Next