• Published 23rd Feb 2020
  • 4,997 Views, 382 Comments

Regression: Isekai of Equestria - JackofEquestria



Jack was once a rising senior at CCU, but now he and a large chunk of South Carolina have been sent to Equestria and to top it off he's been turned into a 7-year-old.

  • ...
61
 382
 4,997

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 5: Griffon the Brush Off (Last Edited: 5/18/2022)

June 26, 2020

Fluttershy’s Cottage

It was the day after Fluttershy returned home, and Jack was currently enjoying his breakfast in peace. Fluttershy had plans to play with her animals down by the pond, and Jack decided he would bring his turtles and join her.

Things had been a little weird lately. While Rainbow Dash had stopped treating Jack like a threat, now she seemed to be doing everything she could to avoid him. Applejack had found out about the incident at the school and was furious at the way Rainbow Dash had treated Apple Bloom.

2 days prior

Sweet Apple Acres

“What were ya thinkin', Rainbow?” Applejack asked her friend with a glare. “Ah know ya don’t trust Jack, but that don’t excuse ya fer yellin' at mah sister like that!”

“I know, I was wrong. I'm sorry," said Rainbow Dash, looking to the ground in shame.

"Ah don't really think Ah can forgive ya right now, Rainbow," Applejack said, shaking her head.

"I understand," Rainbow Dash said, sulking dejectedly.

"Good, then leave! Until Ah say otherwise, ya ain't welcome near me, mah family, or mah property," Applejack said, sternly pointing toward the gate.

“But, Applejack!” started Rainbow Dash as she looked up.

“Go on, GIT!” Applejack snapped as she continued to point at the gate.

Rainbow Dash slowly made her way to the gate, looking back only briefly to see that Applejack was already on her way inside.

Present Time

Fluttershy’s Cottage.

“Are you ready to go?” Fluttershy asked Jack with a smile.

"Just let me get my turtles," he responded.

Jack jogged down to the stream outside of the cottage. He was often surprised when he came down to feed his turtles. Had he let them out in a random body of water back home, they would almost certainly have been gone by the next day. Fluttershy seemed to have a way of communicating with the small reptiles. Apparently, they stayed in the stream out of respect for her.

He picked up the four turtles and placed them in a large basket. When he finished collecting them, Jack returned to the cottage. "Ok, Fluttershy, I'm ready to go now," Jack said.

"That's great," said Fluttershy as she picked up a bag of food.

A few minutes later, they arrived at an area downstream where the channel widened into a small river. Jack carefully placed each of his turtles onto the bank, and one by one, they scurried to the water. Fluttershy began sprinkling a hoof full of fish flakes into the water, and several carp came to the surface to gulp them up. As Fluttershy poured more flakes into the water, Jack's turtles joined in on the feeding frenzy, extending their long necks from their shells to grab the flakes in their beaks. Jack ripped his shirt off and leaped into the river with a clumsy cannonball.

After swimming for a few minutes, Jack noticed Fluttershy timidly poking at a strange-looking turtle. Upon further inspection, he saw it was attached to a thin tube. Determined to figure out what was up, he swam to the opposite bank of the river where the tube seemed to be coming from. He pulled himself out of the river and followed it over a small mound, where he found Pinkie Pie holding the tube and Rainbow Dash looking at Fluttershy through a telescope.

“What are you two doing?” he questioned.

“Ahh!” exclaimed Pinkie Pie as she jumped up and squeezed the tube.

"Oh, Jacky, you scared me!" said Pinkie Pie. "Me and Rainbow Dash were just pulling a prank."

"Oh, really?" Jack asked. "Hey, Rainbow Dash…" he started before noticing that Rainbow Dash was nowhere to be found. "Where'd she go?"

"Huh, I'm not sure," said Pinkie, rubbing her head. "What are you even doing here, Jack?"

"Fluttershy wanted to play with the animals in the river, so I decided to take a swim," answered Jack.

"Wait, Fluttershy!?" Pinkie Pie asked, frantically jumping into the air. "Please tell me that there was somepony else there. It wasn't just you and Fluttershy, right?" she asked nervously.

"Uh, no, just me and Fluttershy," said Jack as he scratched his head. "Why?"

"Oh no, this isn't good," said Pinkie as she slowly poked her head over the mound.

“What are you talking about?” asked Jack as he looked to see what Pinkie was so nervous about. “Oh.”

Across the river, Fluttershy sat soaked to the bone and wailing like a newborn.

“What did you do?!” asked Jack with a sharp glare.

“Me and Rainbow Dash were looking for somepony to prank, and Dashie said she knew just the pony," explained Pinkie. "I had no idea she was talking about Fluttershy. If I knew, I would have stopped her."

"Well, we better go comfort Fluttershy now," sighed Jack.

Jack and Pinkie swam back to Fluttershy, who was still sobbing.

"Hey, Fluttershy, Pinkie's here. I think she has something to say to you," said Jack as he placed his hand on her back comfortingly.

“I j-just d-don’t underst-stand why anyp-pony would d-do that," she sobbed.

"I'm so sorry, Fluttershy, it was a mistake," Pinkie Pie said with a grimace.

Jack and Pinkie spent the rest of the day calming Fluttershy down. Before leaving, Pinkie Pie promised to find Rainbow Dash and get her to apologize too.

June 27, 2020

Rainbow Dash’s House

Rainbow Dash had never been as stressed as she had been these past few days. She felt like a steel beam bending under the pressure of a poorly designed building. She had found out that she was wrong about Jack, but she was far too stubborn to admit that to anyone else. Far worse, her outburst at Jack and Apple Bloom had left Applejack refusing to speak with her. She needed a distraction, something, anything to take her mind off the stupid mistakes she had made. Luckily for her, that distraction came with the ring of her doorbell.

When Rainbow Dash answered the door, she was met with a familiar face. The Griffoness at her door was Gilda, her old friend from flight camp.

"Hey, Gilda. Long time no see!” said Rainbow Dash.

"Hey, Dash…" Gilda started. "Uh, you alright? You look like you just flew into a tornado."

"Oh, no, I'm fine, uh, I just got out of bed," answered Rainbow Dash.

“Good to hear! You want to hang out?” asked Gilda.

“You know it! I’ll race you to that cloud over there!” Rainbow Dash said as she took off.

“You’re on!” shouted Gilda as she raced after her.

Sweet Apple Acres

Jack was hanging out with Apple Bloom as he normally did on Saturdays. Today they were meant to be studying for their upcoming division test. However, at the moment, they were just goofing off.

“Wait, so she painted the entire orchard?” Jack asked, stifling a snicker.

"Yup, Applejack spent most of the day washin' 'em off," Apple Bloom giggled.

“Honestly, I doubt anyone other than Pinkie Pie could have done something like that," Jack sighed. "It’s certainly more impressive than anything I could pull off.”

“Like what?” asked Apple Bloom.

"Well, I used to do one prank at a summer camp where I would unscrew the showerhead in a cabin and put in a packet of red Kool-Aid before screwing it back in," Jack answered.

"What's Kool-Aid?" asked Apple Bloom.

"It's a powder that's used to flavor water," Jack answered.

“Wait, so, if it’s red, wouldn’ that make the water comin' out of the shower look like blood?” asked Apple Bloom uncomfortably.

"Exactly," Jack answered, completely oblivious to Apple Bloom's discomfort.

“Doncha think that’s kinda mean?” asked Apple Bloom.

"I guess, but it's still funny," Jack answered before changing the subject. "Anyway, we should get back to work.”

"So, do ya know the answer tuh this one?" asked Apple Bloom, pointing to the worksheet.

42/7=

"Six," Jack answered with a yawn.

“How are ya able to figure 'em out without doin' any of the work?” asked Apple Bloom as she rubbed her head.

"Oh, um, we already covered this stuff at my old school," Jack said. "It's pretty much just multiplication in reverse."

“Oh, wait, so that means this one must be eight!” said Apple Bloom as she answered the last problem on the worksheet.

"Yep," said Jack as he pulled out the answer sheet.

The two friends hung out for another 20 minutes before Applejack came to inform them it was time for Jack to leave. "Time tuh go, Jack, Fluttershy's here to pick ya up."

“See you later, Bloom," said Jack as he grabbed his bag.

"See ya, Jack," she said as he walked out the door.

Jack walked out of the Apple’s farmhouse to find Fluttershy waiting for him.

“Do you think you’re ready for the test?” she asked.

“Of course, I'm ready. I learned this stuff when I was still a child," Jack answered.

"Oh, um, right," said Fluttershy with a blush.

“You forgot I’m not really a child, didn’t you?” Jack asked with a sigh.

"N-no, of course not," Fluttershy said quickly.

“Sure you didn't," Jack said, rolling his eyes. "So, what are we going to do now?"

“There's a family of ducks I usually walk through town around this time," said Fluttershy.

"I'm assuming you want me to come with you," said Jack.

"Um, yes," Fluttershy answered.

"Ok then," said Jack.

Ponyville Marketplace

Fluttershy led the Duck family through the marketplace while Jack made the nearby ponies aware of their presence. As he walked through the town, Jack noticed Pinkie Pie sitting outside of a café and was about to say hello when he heard an angry voice.

Hey!

Turning around, he found Fluttershy being stared down by a griffon more than twice her size.

"Please excuse me," said Fluttershy.

"I'm walkin' here!" the griffon shouted angrily.

“Oh, um, I'm sorry. I-I-I was just trying to...” Fluttershy said as she slowly backed up.

“I'm sorry, I'm sorry," the griffon said mockingly. “Why don't you just watch where you're going, doofus?”

"Come on now, she said she was sorry," said Jack, stepping between Fluttershy and the griffon.

“Stay out of this, ape!” the griffon said as she raised a claw.

Almost instinctively, Jack pulled his pocketknife out. However, as he unfolded the blade, it was slapped out of his hand by the griffon. Staring him in the eye, it let out a deafening roar. Jack's eyes briefly flashed from greenish blue to emerald as a strange sensation overtook him. Before he even had time to think about it, the feeling was gone, and the griffon was flying away. Jack looked around to see Fluttershy gathering up the frightened ducks and Pinkie Pie running towards him.

"Are you alright, Jacky?" she asked.

"Yeah," Jack panted. "Who was that?”

"That's Gilda. She's a friend of Rainbow Dash," answered Pinkie Pie.

“What’s her damage?” Jack asked with a scowl.

"I don't know, but she's been a real jerk since she got here," Pinkie said.

“Why would Rainbow Dash want to hang out with someone like that?” asked Jack as he picked his knife out of the dust.

“I have no IDEA!” shouted Pinkie Pie. “But somepony needs to do something about it. Nopony treats Fluttershy like that!”

“I’m assuming you already have something in mind then?” Jack inquired.

“Yep!” Pinkie answered with a smile.

"Are you going to tell me?" Jack asked after a few seconds.

“Nope! Come by Sugarcube Corner in an hour, and you'll see!” she answered as she ran off.

Sugarcube Corner

"Are you sure you want to go?" Jack asked Fluttershy. "If you'd rather just go home, you don't have to be here."

"Oh, um, I'll be fine," said Fluttershy as she trembled.

"If you say so," Jack shrugged before opening the door.

"Welcome, Fluttershy, welcome, Jacky!" said Pinkie. "Come on in!"

"Uh, glad to be here, I guess," Jack said.

“Why don’t you two go mingle,” suggested Pinkie Pie.

"Alright then," Jack said as he and Fluttershy walked over to Twilight.

“Oh, Fluttershy, Jack, how are you two doing?” asked Twilight upon noticing them.

"I'm alright," Jack answered.

"I'm ok," said Fluttershy, avoiding eye contact.

The three of them talked for the next few minutes until Applejack and Rarity walked by.

“Who's this Gilda Ah've heard nothing about?” asked Applejack.

“I hear she's an old friend of Rainbow Dash," said Rarity before adding. “A griffon, so rare.”

“You've met Gilda, right?" Twilight asked. "What's she like?”

“Oh, um, well, I'll tell you later, Twilight," said Fluttershy as she looked to the ground.

"She's a bitch," Jack answered bluntly.

"Oh, I don't know if I'd go that far," said Fluttershy, squirming at Jack's language. “Uh, let’s go talk to Pinkie Pie.”

The two of them walked up to Pinkie Pie, who was still welcoming ponies.

“Um, Pinkie Pie, about this party for Gilda. Umm...” Fluttershy started. “Do you really think it's a good idea? I me….”

“Don't worry your pretty little head about mean old Gilda," Pinkie interrupted, invoking a glare from Fluttershy. “Your auntie Pinkie Pie's got it all taken care of.”

“I'm a year older than you," Fluttershy said, continuing to glare as Pinkie walked off.

Pinkie had left to speak with Gilda, who had just arrived with Rainbow Dash.

“Gilda! I'm so honored to throw you one of my signature Pinkie Pie parties, and I really, truly, sincerely, hope you feel welcome here amongst all us pony folk," said Pinkie as she extended a hoof.

Gilda decided to accept the hoof, only to be shocked by a joy buzzer, much to Jack’s amusement.

Ha! Serves her right!” thought Jack as he watched Gilda glare at Pinkie.

“Oh Pinkie Pie, the old hoof-shake buzzer," said Rainbow Dash as she walked up. “You are a scream!”

“Yeah," Gilda said with a nervous chuckle. “Uh, good one, Pinkie Pie.”

“Come on, G, I'll introduce you to some of my other friends," said Rainbow Dash as she walked into the crowd.

“Right behind you, Dash!” said Gilda before she turned to Pinkie. “I know what you're up to," she said accusingly.

“Great!” said Pinkie cheerfully.

“I know what you're planning," Gilda growled.

“Well, I hope so," Pinkie giggled. “This wasn't supposed to be a surprise party.”

“I mean, I’ve got my eye on you," said Gilda with a glare.

“And I got my eye on you!” said Pinkie as she got in Gilda’s face. “Everyone, I'd like you all to meet Gilda, a long-time, dear friend of Rainbow Dash. Let's honor her and welcome her to Ponyville," she said as the other ponies cheered.

Throughout the party, Gilda fell for prank after prank while Jack and the ponies looked on with amusement. Meanwhile, Applejack spent her time avoiding Rainbow Dash.

"You seem to be going out of your way to avoid Rainbow Dash," Jack said as he walked up to the orange mare.

"Yeah, what of it," said Applejack with a huff.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

"You should know, you were there," she responded.

“Huh?” said Jack in confusion.

"She yelled at you and Apple Bloom fer no reason," she answered, raising her voice slightly. "She should know better than tuh treat foals like that."

"I'm not really a foal, you know," Jack said.

"But Apple Bloom is," said Applejack with a glare. "If you can't understand why Ah'm angry, maybe ya shouldn' be hangin' around mah sister."

Jack was about to respond when Gilda finally snapped with a loud roar.

“This is your idea of a good time? I've never met a lamer bunch of dweebs in all my life!” she yelled as she flew in the air. “And Pinkie Pie, you! You are queen lame-o with your weak little party pranks! Did you really think you could make me lose my cool?” she seethed inches from Pinkie's face.

"You have done that yourself!" Jack called.

Ignoring him, Gilda flew up to Rainbow Dash and wrapped her arm around the blue mare. “Well, Dash and I have ten times as much cool as the rest of you put together! Come on, Dash, we're bailing on this pathetic scene," she said as she started to walk away. “Come on, Rainbow Dash. I said, we're leaving," she yelled upon realizing Dash wasn't moving.

“You know, Gilda, I was the one who set up all those weak pranks at this party," said Rainbow Dash angrily.

“What?” Gilda asked in shock.

“So I guess I'm queen lame-o,” Rainbow Dash added with a glare.

“Come on, Dash, you're joshing me," Gilda squirmed.

“They weren't all meant for you specifically; it was just dumb luck that you set them all off," Dash explained in disappointment.

“I shoulda known, that dribble cup had Rainbow Dash written all over it," Pinkie Pie said to Spike.

“No way, i-it was Pinkie Pie! She set up this party to trip me up, to make a fool of me," Gilda said stubbornly.

“Me? I threw this party to improve your attitude. I thought a good party might turn that frown upside down," Pinkie responded, tilting her head for emphasis.

“And you sure didn't need any help making a fool of yourself. You know, this is not how I thought my old friends would treat my new friends. If being cool is all you care about, maybe you should go find some new cool friends someplace else.” Rainbow Dash added.

“Rrgh... yeah? Well, you, you... you are such a, a flip-flop, cool one minute and lame the next. When you decide not to be lame anymore, gimme a call.” Gilda said.

After the argument ended, Gilda slammed the door and left. Rainbow Dash apologized for bringing her into town, and Twilight apologized for accusing Pinkie of misjudging the cranky griffon. The party ended a few hours later, and Jack and Fluttershy headed back to the cottage.

“What do you plan on doing tomorrow?” Fluttershy asked.

"I'm going to hang out with Apple Bloom. Now that we've finished studying, we should have time to do something fun," Jack said as they walked inside.

Author's Note:

Looking for an editor to improve my writing. While I think my plot is decent, I feel my delivery and writing style leave a lot to be desired.
As was pointed out by Deltorix in the comments. I originally had the party for Gilda take place at the library when it happened at Sugarcube Corner in the show. As much as I'd like to say this was a clever way of showing that Jack's affecting the timeline, the truth is it had been several years since I had watched the episode and only skimmed through it a bit before writing this chapter. As such, I have edited the chapter accordingly.
Next time: Jack gets a job doing maintenance at Sweet Apple Acres.

PreviousChapters Next