• Published 22nd Dec 2019
  • 903 Views, 152 Comments

TimberTwi Tales: First Impressions - CapNTilfy



Twilight Sparkle and Timber Spruce have had chaotic lives, and now their paths cross... TimberTwi Tales #2

  • ...
33
 152
 903

A Talk Among Nature

Twilight and Rarity reached a clearing in the forest, then stopped.

"What the hell, Rarity?!"

Rarity flinched as her blush deepened.

"Timber and I were just having a nice conversation, and you eavesdropped on us?!"

"Twilight..."

"I thought you knew better than that!"

"I'm sorry..." Rarity looked away, clearly ashamed of herself.

Twilight relaxed slightly, but was still angry. "Care to explain to me why you were listening in?" She folded her arms.

Rarity heaved a sigh as she looked away. "I was initially going to check in on you, but then I saw you and Timber talking, and getting along..." She trailed off. "An old habit of mine returned."

Twilight raised an eyebrow.

"When I was a child, I used to watch so many animated movies. You know the ones... star-crossed lovers, talking animals... It got to the point that I was enamored of the feeling of romance!"

Twilight looked at Rarity skeptically. "What does that have do with your eaves-"

"Darling, let me finish."

Twilight closed her mouth.

"In grade school, every time I saw a boy and girl talk to each other, I'd hide in the bushes, hoping that something would come from their conversation. Perhaps a hug, or even a kiss on the cheek!" Rarity giggled, then sighed again. "So when I saw you and Timber talking..."

Heat rose to Twilight's face. "That's no reason to do what you did!"

"I know, Twilight, I know... and the worst part of it all was that I was almost certain Timber was going to ask you out. And I ruined the moment. I truly am sorry."

Twilight's shade of red darkened slightly. "A-Are you s-sure?!"

Rarity snorted. "Just as sure as I was when I told you I thought he liked you."

"W-What about you? I'm surprised I haven't heard of you dating anyone if you're into romance yourself!"

Rarity barked a mirthless laugh with a wave of her hand. "Lord knows I've tried, Twilight, but in this world of teenage hormones it's hard to tell who wants to get into your pants from who wants to get into your heart."

Twilight frowned. "Rarity..."

"Just look at me, Twilight," Rarity said as she posed, showing off her hourglass curves. "I've seen boys and girls ogling me when they think I'm not looking." She twirled, revealing toned legs and thighs then stopped on one foot. "And don't even get me started on my breasts," she said as she rolled her eyes.

Twilight looked away, blushing. She had to admit, Rarity did have one of the larger busts among female students.

"I mean," Rarity continued. "They just stare or pretend to grab them from a distance..." She looked downhearted. "Is it too much to ask to find the right man? The kind of man who'll take you by the hand wherever you go with him. The kind of man who'll kiss you like it's been a month since you've seen him when it's only been a few hours. The kind of man who tells you he loves you with all of his heart every day."

Twilight was at a loss for words.

"I just want to be in love, Twilight. To be held close. To experience true happiness, the kind that all those damned fairy tales promise. I want to experience the Ultimate Act of Love, intimately holding hands with my lover in the process..." Rarity heaved a deep sigh. "Yet, here I am, living vicariously through other people's romances via eavesdropping and trashy, smutty novels." She smiled sadly. "It's kind of pathetic, isn't it?"

Twilight shook her head. "No, Rarity, it's not. It's perfectly normal to want to be loved. It's a basic human need."

Rarity scoffed. "A basic need that hasn't been met," she said bitterly. "And here you are. You didn't want to be in love, and you seem to have found someone!"

Heat rose to Twilight's face. "I'm not in love with Timber. I mean, yes, I like him, but I hardly know the first thing about him!"

"Well you've got the rest of the week for that, darling. As for me..." Rarity sat down and propped herself up against a tree. "I'm going to sit and wallow in self-pity."

Twilight opened her mouth.

"Don't you even think about giving me that 'I'm sure you'll find the right man', speech," Rarity snapped. "It sounds so patronizing and disingenuous. Just... just leave me be." She lifted her legs up and held them in her arms.

Twilight began to walk away from Rarity as the fashionista lowered her head, then stopped for a moment. As much as she wanted to speak to Timber some more, there was a more pressing matter she had to deal with.

Twilight slowly walked back to Rarity, then sat down and put a supportive hand on her shoulder.

Rarity raised her head. "Twilight, I thought I said I wanted to be left alone."

"You were right, Rarity."

"About what, darling?"

"I do have the rest of the week to get to know Timber better, but I also have time enough to be there for you, and it looks like you need me."

Rarity's eyes widened. "Twilight..."

Twilight hugged Rarity. "I'm not going anywhere until you feel better," she whispered.

Rarity returned the hug with a happy sigh. "I'm sorry that I lashed out at you like that. Love is sometimes a bit of a touchy subject for me."

"So I've noticed."

Rarity and Twilight held each other closely, enjoying each other's warmth.

"Twilight! Rarity!"

Rarity and Twilight looked up to see Timber heading towards them.

"There you two are. Is everything okay," Timber asked.

"Yes, everything's fine, darling," Rarity said with a genuine smile. "Twilight and I just needed to talk about some things."

Timber raised an eyebrow and folded his arms. "Girl talk?"

Twilight giggled. "Something like that."

"As long as everything's okay..."

"Speaking of which," Rarity said. "How's Gloriosa?"

"Oh, she's around. She just went for a long walk to clear her mind. She only does that when she feels really troubled."

"Are you sure she doesn't need any help," Twilight asked.

"If she really did, she'd come to me." Timber smiled. "Trust me, she's going to be just fine."

Rarity stood up and dusted off her shirt and shorts. "Well, now that 'girl talk' is over, I suppose I'll be on my way. Oh! Twilight?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you."

Twilight smiled. "What are friends for?"

Rarity returned the smile, then walked off, leaving Twilight and Timber alone.