• Published 22nd Dec 2019
  • 892 Views, 152 Comments

TimberTwi Tales: First Impressions - CapNTilfy



Twilight Sparkle and Timber Spruce have had chaotic lives, and now their paths cross... TimberTwi Tales #2

  • ...
33
 152
 892

Of Battles Internal and External

Gloriosa walked through the cave reverently, as though it were a sacred site. She felt relaxed. Unfortunately, there was no time for relaxation. She had to get to work. She reached the spire, and stretched out her hand to grasp the last two geodes...

Gloriosa's eyes widened as she heard footsteps off in the distance behind herself. She hid in the shadows, then listened intently for the new arrivals.

"Whoa..."

"This place is beautiful..."

Gloriosa recognized those voices. Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle! How did they find the only open path?

"There's Equestrian magic here," Sunset said in surprise. "I can... I can feel it!"

Gloriosa shifted, and another voice spoke up. "Did you guys hear that?"

Gloriosa's eyes widened. Spike, Twilight's dog, was with them too!

"Hear what," Twilight asked.

"I... I think I smell something else in here. Someone else!"

Gloriosa sighed. No sense in hiding any longer. She stepped into the light. "Let me save you the trouble, Spike."

Twilight, Sunset, and Spike all yelped in surprise.

"How did you three find your way in here," Gloriosa asked.

"I heard your fight with Timber, so I followed him," Sunset said, folding her arms. "I lost him, then stumbled into the rock quarry. I called Twilight to follow me." She narrowed her eyes. "My turn to ask a question. Why are you 'using magic all over the place'?"

Gloriosa scoffed as she walked towards the white spire. "I don't think you'd understand, Sunset Shimmer. Timber certainly didn't."

"I beg to differ," Sunset said, then grabbed Gloriosa by the arm. Her eyes glowed a bright white for a moment, then went back to normal as she let go. She stood frozen for a moment, an expression of shock on her face.

"Are you okay," Twilight asked.

"Yeah. I am." Sunset gave Gloriosa a sympathetic look. "Gloriosa... why didn't you say anything about Camp Everfree being in financial trouble?"

Gloriosa gasped. "Wait... how did you know?" She paused for a moment. "You have magic too? I thought it was just your friends!" She neared the spire while keeping an eye on the three.

"Gloriosa," Twilight said. "Do you even know what you're doing? If you take those last two stones, who knows what'll happen!"

"Oh, I know what'll happen. I'll save Camp Everfree!" Gloriosa ensnared Sunset, Twilight, and Spike. She grabbed the remaining geodes, then became engulfed in light.

Once the light disappeared, Gloriosa emerged in an entirely new form! Her red hair was now neon green and waving. She sported a dark green dress covered in ivy. Her necklace now contained all seven geodes. She leered at the three with her tar-black eyes. "Sorry, girls... but I've got a camp to save." She left the cave, then closed it with the rocks.

Gloriosa grinned widely, but something in the back of her mind bothered her. She shook her head, then floated over to the clearing.


Another earthquake caused Timber to nearly fall flat on his face. His heart raced as he finally reached the rock quarry, only to see it sealed off by large boulders. He grit his teeth and swore under his breath. He was too late. Where could she have gone?

Screams from the camp's clearing alerted Timber, and he ran as fast as he could.


Gloriosa reached the clearing, then grinned widely. "Attention, campers!" Something didn't feel quite right.

Trixie gasped. "It's Gaea Everfree!"

Flash panicked. "She's real!"

"We're all gonna die!" Bulk Biceps hid his face in fear.

Timber reached the clearing and saw the twisted, magically corrupted form of his sister. "Gloriosa?! What are you doing?" A chill ran down his spine.

"That's Gloriosa," Applejack exclaimed in surprise. "Am I goin' crazy, or are her feet not touchin' the ground?"

"Freaky-deaky," Pinkie said while somehow being in midair.

"I have an announcement to make," Gloriosa said. "Filthy Rich wants this to be the last session of Camp Everfree... but don't worry. I've got this!" She clawed into the ground, and brambles sprouted out of the ground and enclosed the camp, destroying the dock in the process.

A nagging feeling crept through Gloriosa.

Applejack, Pinkie, Fluttershy, Rarity and Rainbow Dash leaped out of the way, just narrowly avoiding the brambles.

"Oh, come on," Rainbow roared. "We just freaking finished that!"

Timber stood still, horrified at what Gloriosa had become. He watched as she enclosed the mess hall, then forced himself to snap out of it. He had to save the campers... he had to save Gloriosa. He had to do something!

Timber saw his axe on a tree stump. He narrowed his eyes in determination, then grabbed it and began to hack away desperately. The brambles and vines were cut, but more took their place. He swung again, only to feel resistance. Turning around, he yelped as Gloriosa looked deep into his eyes.

Time seemed to slow down as Gloriosa gazed coldly at Timber. She remained silent and still for a moment, then threw his axe off to the side. Her cold stare slowly morphed into a sinister grin as she slowly ensnared his hands in vines. Why did a part of her feel awful for what she just did?

There's nothing you can do.

Timber remained still. The situation was hopeless...

Pinkie Pie ran up to Timber and put a small amount of sprinkles on his vines. One small explosion later, he was free.

"Thanks, Pinkie."

"No problemo! Find someplace safe." Pinkie grinned, then joined her friends as they began their efforts to save Camp Everfree.


Spike had gnawed his way out of Gloriosa's vines, and had just finished freeing Sunset and Twilight.

"Nice work, Spike," Sunset said, patting him on the head. She went up to the boulders and pushed hard against them, but they didn't budge. "Twilight," she said as she turned around. "You have to use your magic!"

Twilight grit her teeth. She didn't want to risk Midnight getting free! "I don't think I can lift something that big!"

"It's our only chance of getting out of here and helping our friends!"

Twilight looked down at Spike, who gave her an encouraging nod. She took a deep breath, then exhaled and gently set him on the ground. She walked up to the boulders, swallowing nervously. She closed her eyes, then concentrated.

Twilight grunted and strained as the magical power flowed through her. A bright blue dot appeared on her forehead, but she pressed on. She didn't want to lose her friends!

The boulder moved, and Twilight stopped, nearly falling over were it not for Sunset catching her. Now free from the cave, Twilight, Sunset and Spike hurried to the clearing.


Filled with rage, Gloriosa confronted Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie, Rainbow and Applejack. "Why are you fighting me?! I'm doing this to save our camp! I'm doing this for you," she gestured to the girls.

Something about this felt off.

Rarity laughed nervously. "Gloriosa... let's just think about this for a moment, shall we? I mean, I think Camp Everfree is absolutely delightful, but I just don't know that I'm quite ready to give up my weekly trips to the spa."

"'To the spa..." Gloriosa shook with fury. "To the spa?!" She summoned roots and sent them after the girls.

"Oh, crap."

Rainbow hurried over, only to be tripped by a vine. She slammed into her friends, causing them to topple over.

Gloriosa's lower half became covered in the roots, turning herself into a tree.

Timber ran to Gloriosa in a full-on panic. "Gloriosa! This isn't the way!"

"I appreciate your concern, Timber, but I've got this!" Gloriosa summoned large roots to ensnare Timber.

There was a tiny feeling of sadness in Gloriosa, but she paid it no mind.

"No! You don't!" A lump formed in Timber's throat. His greatest fear seemed to be coming true...

...he was going to lose his sister.


Sunset and Spike pushed and pulled against the brambles, but nothing had happened.

"Twilight," Sunset said. "Do you think you can use your magic?"

Twilight bit her lip. "I-I don't want to use too much. Midnight Sparkle could take over!"

Sunset grunted in frustration, then took Twilight's hands and clasped them with hers. "Twilight! Our friends are in there!" In a flash of light, she ponied up.

Twilight hesitated for a moment, then sighed. "Okay." She closed her eyes, then focused...


"Please, Gloriosa," Timber begged. "What you're doing is crazy! You have to listen to me!"

"That isn't Gloriosa," Sunset said from behind.

Twilight and Spike emerged from an opening in the brambles, and the magic dissipated. Twilight shuddered as they closed behind her.

All I need is one more push... and I'll be free!

"Twilight," Rarity exclaimed.

"Sunset," Applejack said in relief.

"You're okay!" Rainbow smiled.

Sunset and Twilight hurried over to Timber. "That isn't your sister," Sunset said. "It's someone who's been consumed with Equestrian magic!"

Timber looked up as the brambles extended and began to form a dome. "Whoever you are, you have to let my sister go!" Tears began to run down his cheeks. "Please, Gloriosa, come back! I need you!"

Oh please god no I don't want to be alone

Timber watched helplessly as the vines consumed Gloriosa. "Gloriosa!"

Sunset grabbed Twilight by the arm and pulled her away as Timber was buried under wood.

The dome had been completed, and green thunder struck and crackled all around the clearing, causing even more vines to sprout from the ground.

Sunset and Twilight found themselves surrounded, and the rest of their friends hurried to them.

"Rarity," Applejack shouted.

Rarity stepped in front of everyone, then extended her arms outward, creating a diamond barrier that became a dome. "I can't... keep this up forever," she said in a strained tone.

"It's up to you," Sunset said, grabbing Twilight. "You can use your magic to pull the brambles apart!"

"No! There's too many of them!" Twilight hugged herself. "It would take too much magic. I can't!"

"It's the only way! You have to embrace the magic inside of you!"

"What if she takes over?" Tears ran down Twilight's cheeks. "What if instead of saving everyone, I turn into Midnight Sparkle and only make things worse?"

"That won't happen," Sunset exclaimed, then gave Twilight a reassuring smile. "We won't let it."

It's a life or death situation... what will you do, Twilight Sparkle?

Twilight grit her teeth, then focused on her magic with all of her might. The brambles budged, and she felt just the faintest hint of doubt.

A crack formed in Rarity's shield, and she fell over from exhaustion.

"Come on, Twilight," Sunset said as she grabbed Twilight by the arms. "You have to be stronger than she is!"

Twilight focused harder... then everything went white.


Twilight opened her eyes to find herself in a pink void that resembled outer space. Stars twinkled, and bits of clouds passed her by.

Midnight Sparkle appeared before Twilight, laughing menacingly. "You will never control me. I will always be a part of you!" She transformed into green energy and enveloped Twilight.

Twilight grew black wings, and her eyes glowed green. A magical horn protruded from her forehead. "NO!" She cowered.

"Twilight!" Sunset appeared from behind her in a pillar of red light. "Listen to me! You are in charge!"

Rarity appeared in a pillar of white light. "You are a light, darling! A force for good!"

"Yeah," Rainbow said as she appeared in a pillar of blue light. She cracked her knuckles. "You can kick the darkness' butt!"

Pinkie appeared in a pillar of pink light. "We're here for you, Twilight!"

Applejack appeared in a pillar of orange light. "And we'll be here no matter what!"

Fluttershy appeared in a pillar of yellow light. "We believe in you!"

"You are not Midnight Sparkle," Sunset declared.

Twilight opened her eyes. "No," she said as her eyes stopped glowing. "I... am... Twilight Sparkle! And the magic I carry inside me is..." she balled her hands into fists as her horn and wings cracked. "...the Magic of Friendship!" The wings and horn shattered, and everything went white again.


Now fully confident in herself, Twilight sprouted purple wings as her magic reached a new level. She shot out of Rarity's shield, then flew up to Gloriosa and began to part the vines.

Gloriosa appeared from the vines. "No! Stop!" There was a sudden crackle, and her geode necklace broke. The geodes separated, then went to Twilight and her friends. In the hands of their new owners, they spun for a moment, then glowed and disappeared, causing the girls to transform!

Magical energy surged through Twilight and her friends, and an explosion of lasers and light obliterated the bramble dome as bright green sparks fell.

All was at peace again.

Author's Note:

Yes, that's where I'm leaving the chapter. I hope you'll understand why when the next one comes out. :raritywink: