• Published 26th Aug 2012
  • 1,114 Views, 131 Comments

Blaze - Blazing_Mane01



The ponies embark with the mysterious Blaze to unravel his past.

  • ...
10
 131
 1,114

Chapter 1.) Enter Blaze

"I gotta... Keep... Going... Gotta get away... From that... That MONSTER!"

Well, that was what I wanted to think, but I was already gasping for air, and, though I already forgot exactly how long I've been running, I'm not going to be able to go for much longer. My wing is broken, and I'm in too much of a bind to teleport. I mean, not that I can't use magic: I'm sure I could use it if need be, but who knows what it would do to me, what with such an overwhelming fatigue coursing through me.

But, then again, where would I go? To teleport requires a strong mental image of the location, and that little detail right there is what screwed me: I've never been out in Equestria besides my little village. The only place I had a "strong mental image of" was my home, and that was destroyed thanks to that freak of nature!

I wanted to shout as loud as my weakened lungs could, but I can't let that creep find me. Ugh, but I'm in no shape to keep running... I'm going to have to find a place to take refuge, a hiding spot...

Wait a minute. Maybe under that kind of overhang will serve as a brief shelter... The way the ground kinda curves into itself, like being inside a small cliff or something. Perhaps I could rest for just a moment, catch my breath fast enough to make it to whatever next shelter might be nearby. In this forest in the middle of the night in the situation I'm in, that seems like a miracle...

The clouds are getting heavy. It's going to rain soon. Rainy nights have always haunted me with nightmares of my family. It was raining when I left the village that morning, three days ago. That's right. I've been running for about three days now. If I don't find some form of SAFE shelter soon, or at least some kind of food material... I fear for my village's history. Right now, I'm the only pony alive to drag it along. Or so I know of.

But that alone wasn't reason enough to me.

"Let it take me," I said in near-defeat. "I quit... It seems pointless to keep going... Maybe that thing'll put me out of my misery..." I cried inside. To have your whole life taken away from you... "DO YOU HEAR ME MONSTER!? I QUIT!! YOU CAN KILL ME NOW!!"

I couldn't throw my hoof in my mouth fast enough. Now I've got no choice but to keep moving. Damn me and my big mouth! I throw a quick berry in my mouth from a nearby bush, and then take off. (wait, berries!? Too late, too far away now!) Every other step, I catch myself muttering... something... See, I don't even know what I'm saying! Literally!

Focus, Blaze! I remind myself. You have a giant monster hot on your tail. If you wanna live, you can't afford to not pay attention! Hit a tree, trip over a rock, anything! You stall for too long, it's game over for you! I don't know where I'm going, but it definitely can't be worse than that monster!

After a few minutes of more running, my body just wouldn't take anymore. Despite my mental encouragement earlier, I've stumbled and fallen to the ground, due to gelatinous transformations in my joints. And, guess what? I can't pick myself up, either. I can't even feel my legs...

So, as the rain starts to come down, I take a moment to reflect upon these past few days. My village has been obliterated along with all its residents, or as I'm aware of. This huge shadow-looking thing persues me, and I take off running. Three days later, after such a valiant effort, it will have all been for nothing. The brown pony with the flame-hued hair and the colorless eyes will most likely die tonight.

I guess this is where I will be sleeping tonight...

Or more appropriately laying, for the drops have begun to drop and the thunder has begun to thunder. Merciless. My life has been just merciless this past week. The rain hits my belly and sizzles away to nothing in a desperate attempt to cool my internal temperature. The heat has gone to my head as well, as every drop that finds me as its landing pad, a pain shoots up. I suffocate from the heat fast enough, though, as I find my eyelids getting droopy and my fire-colored mane serves as an adequate pillow against the cold, bitter ground. I have found my bed, and I think I'm getting comfortable...

Blaze
By Blazing_Mane01

I find myself being shined on by what I believe to be morning sunrise. So I didn't die through the night? Ehh, oh well... Since I have most of my energy back, I can pick up the pace. I take a quick glance at my immediate environment, and continue my trail.

Something about this morning seems way too cheerful, given the predicament I'm in. This place sounds like it's alive and brimming with all kinds of creatures, which must mean this area of the forest is tranquil. But then that must mean I got away from that shadow! I take in a heavy sigh of relief. I can finally take my time and breathe some fresh air. The rain last night has also left some relatively large puddles on the ground, so I'm not really worried about getting thirsty. I do need to get some solids in my belly soon, though... I quickly begin to regret my tactical decision earlier with the berry bush.

I trot up the side of a small hill when my eyes see what I think is an illusion. I blink them so fast, they might have been able to push me back. Nope, what I am seeing is no illusion. It's a town! And it's right in front of me! My excitement gets the better of me as my pace breaks from a trot to a full-out gallop. It's a good half-mile or so still to go, but I didn't care. Once I can get there, I can get something to eat, a place to shower, and if I'm lucky, a hospital bed so my wing can start healing!

Ten minutes later, I start to walk on cobblestone roads. I've worn out my tired lungs again. I can feel my head spinning a mile a minute, whether it may be from excitement or exhaustion. I'm given a firm greeting by this pink pony who, if I'm not mistaken, smells a bit like candy. A big slap on the back and a welcoming isn't what I needed. In fact, it's not what my wing needed either.

"Good morning, Mr. Pony-I've-Never-Met-Before! I'm excited, are you excited?, 'cuz I'm excited, I've never been so-" Her words flew through her mouth so fast. They only made me dizzier, but I managed to cut her off before my head exploded.

"...Help... I need some... *cough* Some food..."

"Okey-dokey-lokey! Luckily for you, I'm throwing a party in that house right across the street! Come on! Last one to the cupcakes won't get as many! Okay, ready, 3 2 1 GOOO!" She darted into the house she had pointed out before I could extend my hoof to stop her. Thanks for lending me a helping hoof, I wish I could yell at her. But apparently she went in and told the other ponies in there because I managed to get a glimpse at a purple face approaching me at a rapid pace before fatigue once again got the better of me...