• Published 31st Dec 2019
  • 1,483 Views, 155 Comments

Filly Friends - thehalfelf



In the morning, Vinyl Scratch would be leaving, and Octavia didn’t know if she would ever see her again.

  • ...
2
 155
 1,483

Snore

Snore

It took some doing, but Vinyl and I were able to get a mostly-catatonic Symphonia up to our dorm. From there I was on my own, as Vinyl decided to raid my kitchen. With more than my fair share of eye rolling and effort, I somehow managed to get Symphonia into her bed. By the time I made it out of our bedroom, Vinyl had already planted herself down at our table and was busy demolishing a massive sandwich.

“Make yourself at home,” I snarked in passing, heading into the kitchen myself to do the same.

Vinyl said something unintelligible around her sandwich in reply, which I chose to ignore. I cobbled together my own late dinner and went to join her at our table. We sat in silence while I ate and Vinyl nursed a drink she’d stolen from Symphonia.

“We haven’t done something like this in a long time,” Vinyl mused as I polished off the last few crumbs.

“What are you talking about? You forced me to that nightclub last week, and Symphonia regularly drags me out to bars after practice.”

“That’s not what I meant,” Vinyl replied, fiddling with her empty plate. “Like, the two of us haven’t just sat and talked like this.”

“We talk all the time,” I deadpanned.

Vinyl pounded down her drink and shook her head. “Yeah, I know, but that’s not…”

She trailed off then stood gently shaking her empty drink. “I’m going to get another, do you want one?”

“Sure,” I replied, shaking my head. Vinyl was busy being extra weird tonight I thought as she walked back towards my kitchen. She was gone for several minutes before returning and plopping an already open drink in front of me.

“So, how does that deal with Night-Glo work?” I asked, trying to change the subject.

She shrugged. “It’s pretty simple, really. I’m supposed to provide them with music and they pay me to play it in the club when there isn’t a DJ there mixing stuff. Plus, since we’re on the VIP list, we get some special perks there too: cheaper drinks, getting to skip the line in, and access to their lounge.”

“That is pretty nice,” I agreed. “How much do you have to make?”

“As much as possible to start with, they’re trying to build up their catalog.”

“And you get credited for it somewhere, right?”

Vinyl smiled. “Yeah, there’s going to be a list of all the music posted in the building somewhere, easy to read.”

“All it takes is a little bit of good exposure.”

We both quieted down as something thumped around in my bedroom. I shook my head and walked over to the door. “Symphonia, you okay in there?” I asked, tapping the door with a hoof.

When I received no reply, I opened the door and looked in. Symphonia had half fallen to the floor, accounting for the thump. Her head and withers rested there, while her back half was tangled in blankets up on the bed. I took the time to wrest her unconscious form back into bed and rejoined Vinyl.

“I’ve been thinking of what Midnight Oil told me though,” she said as I retook my seat. “About how Hazelblossom was bragging about me, but wouldn’t actually tell anypony about me.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah. I’m wondering if I should go back to The Underground and tell them myself, maybe get the credit for the music he’s probably still using.”

I took a moment to think before replying. It wasn’t a bad idea in theory, but to be honest I didn’t think anypony there cared, otherwise they would have already called him out. After all, wasn’t that why Midnight Oil said he started his own club? After a few more seconds of thought, I shared all that with Vinyl.

She nodded along until I finished talking. “Yeah, you’re probably right. It still ticks me off though, especially if the bastard is still using my work as his own.”

“There’s not much you can do about it though.”

Vinyl looked over at me and smiled sweetly. “We could go ask him ourselves?”

“Vetoed.”

“Why not?” she whined.

“Because it’ll only get you in trouble and I can’t think of a way to actually make him stop,” I replied. I took a quick drink to give me time to think of a reason she’d like better, or a way to distract her again. “I bet he only wants your attention again. It’s the same reason he sent you that letter, to make you pay attention to him.”

“Why do you have to be right all the time, Tavi?” She sighed and dropped her forehead to the table. I could just barely make out the sound of her glasses hitting the floor a few seconds later.

“It’s tough, but somepony has to do it.” I finished off my drink and stood up. “Now, I’ll get you a spare pillow and blankets, you can sleep on the couch. I have a class in the morning, so—”

I walked towards the bedroom while talking, but stopped at a gentle tug to the fur on my hind hoof. I shook off Vinyl’s magic and turned to look at her, raising an eyebrow.

“Not yet, it’s not a sleepover if you go to bed too early,” she muttered, voice muffled by the table.

“It’s almost two in the morning,” I replied after a glance at the clock. “I have a class in six hours.”

“Skip it.”

“You’re joking,” I said, fighting down a surprised laugh.

Vinyl shook her head.

“I can’t just skip class,” I retorted. I walked over to stand next to her. “That defeats the entire point of being here.”

“Sure you can, you just don’t go. It’s super easy.” She sat up to face me, leaving her glasses on the ground. I was again struck by how odd it was to see her eyes, bloodshot though they were.

“If I don’t go, I don’t learn what I’m supposed to.”

“Come on, be serious. Missing one day isn’t going to hurt anything. You’re already the best cellist I know—”

“Like you know a lot of cellists,” I retorted.

“Except maybe your Mom… that’s not the point though!” She shook her head and powered through. “You’ve been here three years, have you ever missed a class?”

“Yes, actually, I have. I was sick earlier this year, and I had to miss a few days to travel to Manehatten when Grandma Serenade fell down her porch steps—”

Vinyl lurched forward, shoving her hoof at my muzzle. “Wait, she did what? Is she okay?”

Irritated, I pushed her hoof away. “Yes, she’s fine.”

“Good, good.” Vinyl nodded her head a few times. “She’d want you to skip classes tomorrow.”

There was no escaping it this time, the laugh would not be contained. “No, she really wouldn’t.”

“Well you can’t call and ask her, it’s super late, so just trust me.”

I shook my head, exasperated. “You’re committed to being extra weird today, aren’t you?”

“Every extra argument is another few seconds that you don’t go to bed,” she stated proudly. “The longer I draw this out, the more I win.”

It hit me then that she was right. Vinyl wasn’t being weird, at least not without a purpose. She’d already made me turn around and walk from the bedroom. “You’re ridiculous.”

“You know what else is ridiculous? Late night board games! Come on, let’s play.” Vinyl bounded to her hooves and walked over to a shelf holding Symphonia’s small collection of games and started looking through them.

“All these suck,” she announced shortly later. She walked back to me and pulled me to my hooves. “Come on, we’re going game shopping.”

I dug my hooves in to stop myself, and her, from going anywhere. “Vinyl, it’s almost three in the morning. Everywhere is closed, and I still have class tomorrow. I’m going to bed.”

Vinyl turned to look at me, deflated. “Really?”

“Really.”

“Okay.” She stepped forward and gave me a short hug. “Do you at least want to put on a movie and sleep out here?”

I smiled and nodded. “Let me go get my blankets, put something on.”

While Vinyl busied herself in the living area, I slipped quietly into the bedroom. After taking a moment to make sure Symphonia was still mostly in her own bed, I stripped mine down and dragged it all into the main room. Vinyl already had everything ready to go and wasted no time helping me spread my blanket out in front of the couch. She settled right next to me after I sat, and started whatever she’d decided to play.

I fell asleep fast enough that I don’t even remember what we were watching.

The next morning I realized I hadn’t brought my alarm clock out with me. Not that I realized until entirely too late. What I did realize as I slowly clawed my way from sleep was a big ball of warmth pressed against my left side, and a burning pain throughout my head. I smacked my lips, already sick of the taste of my dry mouth, and attempted to roll to my hooves.

The warm spot protested and threw a white hoof over me, pulling me back down with the strength of those very asleep. I squeaked involuntarily in protest, but could do nothing to stop myself from being nestled back into Vinyl’s coat. I simply sighed and leaned back, after all this wasn’t the first time she’d used me as a pillow in the years we’d known each other.

From my place on the floor I heard a key slide into our door lock. I heard the door open and shut, followed by the thunk of a saddlebag being thrown down. Symphonia walked into view, smirk already planted on her face.

“Adorable,” she crooned, pinching one of my cheeks in her magic.

I couldn’t even get a hoof out to wave threateningly at her. “Stop that,” I demanded.

She did, and I breathed a sigh of relief. “You’re right, let me go get my camera…”

“Symphonia,” I warned, “knock it off. I’m not down here because I want to be.”

“Isn’t that your blanket though, Octavia?” she said. “And weren’t you two all cuddled up when I left for class this morning?”

“If I didn’t placate her a bit she wouldn’t…” I trailed off as the last half of her sentence hit me. “Wait, when you left for class? What time is it?”

Symphonia didn’t say, instead pulling the clock down from the wall and bringing it into my vision. Both hands pointed straight up, accusingly. At first I thought she was messing with me so I twisted, to the protestation of Vinyl, to get a glance into the kitchen. The timer we kept on the counter was always fast, so when I read five past noon I knew it was right, technically.

I flopped back against Vinyl, who grunted and shifted, and sighed. “That crazy filly actually made me do it.”

“Oh my,” Symphonia said, fanning herself with a hoof. “On the floor of our living room, no less.”

Not for the first time, I lamented my birth as an Earth Pony. “Be happy I can’t throw anything at you right now, and know that I will get you back.”

“So you say, but you have to escape her first. I’m going to make lunch; you want anything?”

“Sure. Maybe food will get this oaf to wake up,” I replied. Symphonia walked away, leaving me to my fate. After a couple minutes of uncomfortable repositioning, I managed to wiggle myself enough room to move a single hoof. With my newfound freedom, I began poking Vinyl relentlessly, trying to irritate her awake.

“Come on, Vinyl, it’s time to get up,” I crooned, gently wiggling a hoof into her side. “Or at least let go of me.”

It took several minutes of work, but I eventually managed to rouse the hungover unicorn from her slumber. She groaned and rolled over without moving her hoof, pulling me over against her. “Mornin’ Tavi,” she muttered, rubbing at her eye with a hoof.

“Good morning. Could you let go of me?”

“Do I have to?” she asked while pulling me closer.

“Yes.”

I rose to my hooves once she let go and stretched, groaning as my joints popped. With the entire right side of my body a little shaky from laying on it so long I somehow managed to make my way into the kitchen. Symphonia was busy preparing what looked to be a very unhealthy lunch, but there were some things I needed to know.

“Why do you keep calling Vinyl and I adorable?” I questioned in a whisper, barely audible over the sound of popping grease.

Symphonia looked back over her shoulder. “Because you two act like such a cute couple.”

“We aren’t a couple though,” I retorted. She nodded her head towards a cabinet and I dutifully extracted a trio of plates.

“Could have fooled me.”

She stopped speaking, focusing instead on transferring our lunch to my provided plates. Right around then, hooves dragging, Vinyl wandered to the table and plopped down. I took a plate for myself and one for Vinyl over and sat beside her.

“So, how was class this morning?” Vinyl asked.

“Hush.”

Author's Note:

Drunk Vinyl is best Vinyl. Probably.

So I noticed today going to post this chapter how long this story has gotten, and boy if it isn't pretty long at this point. I'm not really able to pinpoint exactly how far in we are, as the last part of the outline is still a little fuzzy, but it's well over halfway at least. I hope you all are having as much fun as I am.