• Published 1st Jan 2020
  • 9,098 Views, 4,088 Comments

Twilight Gets a Puppy, Season 4 - TDR



New gods, spiky vines, singing fish, ghost dogs, theatrical mishaps, and a new enemy seeking to destroy everything, The Sparkle siblings will have their hooves, paws, and claws full this season.

  • ...
28
 4,088
 9,098

PreviousChapters Next
Trout Ya!

Author's Note:

Alright here with another please read.

I now have a Kofi page. https://ko-fi.com/tdrtgap

I'm using this to commission more art for TGaP since i'm poor .

Currently i've purchased 4 pieces and have another two on the way from donations.

The Artist is https://www.deviantart.com/xxmarkingxx, though i have another one or two in mind if he gets swamped.

Feel free to suggest scenes or characters from TGaP, SiS or any of my other works you would like to see done, and if there's enough interest in those scenes[and funds for it] and the like i'll commission the work.

Here is the second image I commissioned.

JYNX

Now as a disclaimer, i am using this for fan art, not to live off of or anything and if you don't want to donate or don't feel like it , the fic is still gonna be free as are any images that come up from the donations.

Twilight Gets a Puppy
Season 4
By TDR

Trout Ya!

[Rainbow Falls, early mid Winter]

“Why am I doing this again?” Sunset huffed, sitting at a podium looking out over a crowd of ponies and other creatures milling around an open field full of booths and tables. The crisp air was enough to send a chill down everyone's spine, though the first heavy snowfall had yet to hit.

With Hearths Warming coming, the Rainbow Falls Traders Exchange was held at the near perfect time to find that gift for a hard to shop for pony on your list. A few scattered industrial grade magical heaters kept the chill away enough for ponies to enjoy wandering around the countless stalls.

“Because there is always a princess in attendance to settle disagreements over whether a trade is fair or not. And since the rule is that a trade is fair as long as both ponies get what they want, there's never been a disagreement.” Twilight offered.

“You're the Princess!” Sunset snapped.

“Nope!” Twilight stated.” I refused. You however are the daughter of the current ruler of Equestria and therefore an ACTUAL Princess, therefore again, this is your problem.”

“Seriously Sparkle!?” Sunset growled.

“Yup, have fun.” Twilight grinned trotting off with a large collection of books she had brought to trade leaving Sunset to fume.

“You have no idea how hard it is to shop for some one who has literally everything.” Rainbow Dash grumbled looking around the table before her at the odd glass lamps.

“Oh, I can imagine.” Fluttershy nodded, looking at the bird whistle she had traded her bear whistle for. It had been a rather simple trade and was one of the first things they had done.

“Yeah you might, Pinkie's real hard to shop for too.” Dash muttered. “i mean she loves getting anything, but what does she really want? What are you getting her any way?”

“I can't tell you, she's around and you know how she always pops up at the wrong time.” Fluttershy offered gesturing lightly with a wing to a poofy pink mane bobbing in the crowd.

“Fair enough. I don't suppose you have an idea what I can get Prince?” Dash asked.

“How about a ribbon?”Fluttershy said after a moment of consideration.

“A ribbon?” Rainbow Dash asked.”Pretty sure that's something you wrap gifts with not give as a gift.”

“Oh, you are right, but the ribbon would be wrapped around you.” Fluttershy nodded.

“Around me ? What are you......” Dash froze her eyes going wide as her face turned bright red.

Fluttershy simply tittered at her friends reaction.

Sombra ignored Applejack and Rarity's bickering about pie tins and made his way over to a small area that seemed to be taken up by a number of blacksmith booths.

The work was good but there was nothing he was really interested in until he came across one trading ingots and unrefined ore.

On top of the usual ingots of iron, gold, and copper, there were more exotic ones, such as nickel, mithril, and bauxite, though the latter three were in much smaller bars.

There was one silvery ore that drew his attention in the collection of rarer ores. Reaching out a hoof he picked it up, turning the small ingot over in his hoof. It was far lighter than anything he had seen before with it's sheen. As he lifted it he took note of an odd bluish glow around the ingot.

“Oh very good, I was afraid I was going to need to hit you.”

Sombra raised his head looking into the green eyes of a reddish furred kitsune who sat behind the table with a long iron pipe clutched in one paw with a bit of smoke wafting from the end.

“One does not use magic with metal unless you are looking to enchant it after it is worked.” Sombra snorts moving his hooves to see if there was any give in the bar before he tapped it a bit.” Anything else cheapens the material.”

“Well well, it seems you know your stuff.” The kitsune smirked.”Not many unicorns do.”

“Humph.” Sombra offered.”What is this material?”

“Ahh that is an oddly special bit of ore. I have had it in my collection for quite some time. What I have been able to find out is that it is a material called Starmetal, collected from a fallen star, it has many compounds similar to iron, but there are other unknown materials that the stars decent from the heavens smelted to the base iron forming something wholly unique.” The kitsune offered his five tails swaying behind him. “The material has an effect when it comes in contact with some one who has been blessed by the god of the night sky, that blue glow you see about it now. Other wise though it tends to disrupt enchantments much like mithril does”

The kitsune considered.

“Oddly I've only see that glow when the bar is touched by a nox-cal.” the kitsune considered.

“Likely anything she's touched, hmm.” Sombra turned his head looking around spotting the moon dog wandering along with his brother, further away then he was willing to yell. He'd test the theory later “ What is it you want for this?”

“This is a trading fair, the question is, what are you offering?” the kitsune smiled.

Sombra shifted pulling his saddle bags off with his magic drawing out a few odds and ends he had made at the forge, a pair of daggers, some foals puzzles, and a bit of jewelry he had made of gold when he was bored at one point. The spread also had a few old patches and the remains of a number of antique coins and ravenged swords.

“What are these?” the kitsune asked picking up one of the patches.

“A few old Guard patches from the War of Night. The enchantments on the old palace kept most of the barracks preserved fairly well, these were in a pile of old clothes molding in the corner of a room. The weapons as well, though the preservation spells did not hold the metal as well as I like.” Sombra offered.

“These are near priceless artifacts.” the kitsune trailed off, picking up and looking over one of the patches.” The bits you could get for one of these patches alone from a collector would be a fortune.”

“I have no need of bits.”Sombra stated.

The kitsune stared at the pony before him for a moment frowning lightly.” And you are trading these for the bar?”

“One of them.” Sombra corrected. “You explained yourself how valuable it is. All it would take to get more of the ore would to have Luna throw a snit fit and try to crush something from orbit.”

The kitsune stared at Sombra with a deeper frown.

Sombra matched his gaze.

“The patch and two of the foal's puzzles.”

“Done.”

“You want me to trade all my books for a broken pen?”Twilight raised an eyebrow looking down at the little pegasus filly.

The filly nodded.

“Alright, fine. You got yourself a–“ Twilight began reaching out a hoof to shake the fillies hoof.

Suddenly there was a pink form between the two of them.

“STOP!!!!!” Pinkie Pie shouted. “What are you doing!?”

“I was trying to get rid of the excess books from the library. Most of them are older tomes or ones with a newer editions that cover more.” Twilight explained.

“For that?” Pinkie pointed accusingly at the filly holding the feather pen. “Do you Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally want that!?”

The filly huffed.

“Well, not really, no, but...” Twilight began.

“Ohmygosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh! I can't believe that almost happened! But luckily, it didn't happen, thanks to me.” Pinkie Pie beamed.

“What the hay are you talking about?”Twilight demanded.

“According to the rules of the Exchange, a trade is only fair if both ponies end up with something they want. You can't break the rules! Did any pony see you do it? I don't think any pony saw!” Pinkie Pie looked around before leaning down menacingly in the face of the filly.”But you're not gonna say anything, are you?! Haha, I'm just kidding! Or am I?! Sometimes I can't even tell!”

Pinkie Pie might have gone on though her rant was cut off my a grip of magic closing around her mouth.

“Pinkie you know that you are my friend, and I do appreciate you trying to look out for me, but do not threaten a foal with whatever unknown horror you can think up.” Twilight stated as Pinkie squeaked around the muzzle gag.

“Okay, what are you going to do with these books?” Twilight asked the filly.

“Read them, what else do you do with books?” the filly responded clearly confused.

“Some of these are higher reading level books you might not understand.” Twilight stated.

“Well, how do I get to a higher reading level?” the filly blinked.

“By reading books above your reading level.” Twilight explained.

“Uhh, isn't that what I'd be doing with these?” the filly flattened her ears.

“Precisely.”

“Uhh.” the filly questioned.

“Oh don't worry these questions are not for me they're for her.”Twilight pointed at Pinkie Pie. “ Do you still want to trade?”

“Yeah, I like books.” the filly nodded.

“Then we have a deal.” Twilight smiled feeling a twinge of something with her magic.” Remember if you don't understand something you can always as for help, and when you are done with the books pass them on to a library or some one else who will read them.”

“Okay!”

“So..... how were you going to carry all these home?” Twilight asked finally letting go of Pinkie.

“Uhhhh.” the filly considered looking at the towers of books.

Rahs smiled as he and Spike wandered the exchange. Spike had managed to trade for the comic he had been looking for fairly early, though he was currently in super protective mode of it now, despite having put it into a steel briefcase he now carried around handcuffed to his wrist.

Rahs did not understand comic book collectors.

Still he was on the look out for a few things himself. Hearths Warming was only a few weeks away and while most of his shopping was done, there were still a few here and there he wasn't sure of what to get.

Spike and Twilight were easy, a miniature kit he didn't have, or some paints, and a book she didn't have which was fairly easy given the release dates of some books. Mom had forced Twilight not to buy books for a month before Hearths Warming and thankfully that stuck.

Shining and Cadence were a little harder, but not by much. Chrysalis was going to be surprised by the chocolate sampler he sent, though he had gotten the one that was a prank mix, hot sauce, and high caffeine. The idea of the drunk changeling queen running around with her tongue on fire just amused him to no end.

And the best part was he could blame it on Celestia.

Comet Trail was getting a few out of season durrians he had managed to find, though despite being friends with the guard captain there was no way EVER he was going to order that damn fruit for him again. It would take weeks to get rid of that smell.

He also had a collection of holiday cards to send out to all the ponies and other creatures he had been in plays with over the years, the list was quite sizable even cutting out the jerks in the bunch, and the ones he lost contact with.

Of course he had the eight by ten autographed Glossy of himself to send to Shirley, something he would get a matching one of from said now famous actor, but that was a joke the pair had been doing for some time. He kept all the ones he got in a scrap book though evidently Shirley had a few of the ones he sent in picture frames around his mansion. Something which had confused the heck out of a reporter doing an interview at one point.

Rahs sighed a little, he was in a play coming up and it worried him. It was the first one he had managed since becoming a god really and everything was coming too easy for him. The script was already memorized, his timing was spot on and he could feed lines to everyone else in the entirety of The Peanut Cracker play.

He was the mouse king of course, he couldn't seem to get free of the bad guy / monster roles, but still it was a big part, it had been a while since he had one of those.

It was just too easy. He wasn't sure if he had just gotten that good or it was because of his portfolio. It worried him a little that the only reason he was doing well was because of becoming a god due to his sister becoming one. He rather understood Rarity's refusal of Luna's offer now. Was he good because he was good, or because of what he was.

Not that his inner musings mattered, he still showed to every practice, because the show must go on, but that was neither here nor there.

Let's see who else was on the list. His biological family were being invited to a big cook out with a large number of meat dishes being presented, mostly bacon, cause it was the best gift.

He was helping Sweetiebelle with her gift to Luna, mostly funding it, whatever it was, and Celestia was getting cake.... like always.

Then there were the problems.

The girls who were interested in him.

Applejack was covered. She had expressed interest in trying to learn how to cook things other than apples so he had gotten her a fairly sizable Griffonese cookbook.

Jynx was a bit harder and required Rarity's aid, though finding a nice dress in her body type that Rarity could properly adjust had been a pain.

Shining had offered his two cents when it came time to find something for Saturnia. And by that Shining had just shown up at the Ponyville hive, asked her what she wanted directly, then split the list between himself, Cadence, Chrysalis, and Rahs.

Rahs had never heard of sugared fruit bats before, but he had sampled one before buying a box and it was pretty good even if he couldn't taste the sugared part of it. Seems it was indeed some sort of delicacy for changelings.

Sunset had been a bit of a pain to figure something out, she had also been a fairly expensive one. Neightendo it seemed had a competitor that created some sort of large tablet device of crystal. It could socket movie crystals and have documents written on it as well as play various games and take pictures.

It sounded like that cell phone thing he had heard her talk about so he managed to track one down. A bit pricey, but it wasn't like he didn't have a good number of bits lying around from all the nonsense he had done. Plus he had Celestia cover half the cost because she had no idea what Sunset might want, so this gave her an excuse to buy all the accessories for the device for Sunset.

Trixie thus far he hadn't found anything just yet. Which was one of the reasons he was here. He had considered a dress or even some cute stuffed animal given how she clung to the one he had won her in the past. Though while looking through a fair sized collection of theater memorabilia one pony had, he found a book.
An old script in fact.

A very familiar old script.

A very familiar old script that had him holding the pony running the stall up by the neck the other claw as he shoved the book into his face.

“Where did you get this!?!?!”

“GAH!!” the pony yelped flailing.

“Rahs put him down.” Spike shouted. ”What are you even doing!?”

Rahs offered the book he held to Spike who looked it over.

“Is this a play book? Beauty and the Beast at North Canterlot theater.....?”Spike read opening it. “ It's autographed......didn't they only give these out to the actors and stage hooves?”

“Woof.”

“Yeaaaah,okay, hey mister if this is stolen, the guards are gonna be the least of your worries.” Spike sighed closing the book. ”There are only thirty three of these things in existence and I know one was destroyed. And clearly my brother here knows you were not given one.”

“It it was part of an estate sale. I picked up a whole bunch of stuff from some pony who died. I brought that to the trade show because it's autographed by Shirley Drebbin.” the pony stammered.

Rahs blinked looking at the book and setting the stallion back down opening it and noting the name with a small wince. The owner of the script had been one of the older stage hooves that worked with Miss Broadway a lot, Priss Flamenco. She was also one of the ones Rahs hadn't managed to keep up with.

“Bark.” Rahs sighed.

“He says he's sorry about that, but only those who were part of the play were given these.”Spike translated. “His names in this one too. It's a theater thing.”

“I .. I suppose I understand. I take you are interested in trading for it then?” the stallion rubbed his neck.

“Ruff.” Rahs nodded, pulling one of the autographed Daring Doo books he had been given to trade. Something that drove his sister insane, but he still wasn't much a fan of the series despite having read it all to try and pick out Saturnia's parts and who else some of Darings references were. And maybe find a clue as to where she learned how to understand moon dog.

Unfortunately there was no luck there.

“Daring Doo?” the pony considered before shaking his head.” Nah , never been much of a fan, autographed or not, it's clear you want this a good bit, so you need to sweeten the deal a bit.”

Rahs growled lightly about to suggest that perhaps the stallion might want relief from all the nightmares he was surely going to have when Rahs told the moon dog watching this stallions dreams to take a vacation, but he stopped himself. He had just grabbed this pony by the neck so it was his fault in the first place. He considered a moment before reaching back into his coat and pulling out a pair of ticket stubs to Hinny in the Hills, both signed by Shirley, who played the bandit chief, and the lead actress Teresa Collins. Rahs had another two at the house given how many times he went to see that play while it was in Canterlot, but still.

“Woof?” Rahs questioned.

“Deal.” The stallion agreed.

PreviousChapters Next