• Published 18th Aug 2012
  • 8,431 Views, 299 Comments

A Special Night - Zonfic



Twilight gets a suprise visit from Luna one night. Secrets are soon found out about each other.

  • ...
40
 299
 8,431

To Live a Dream

Author's Note:

Yeah this took forever... and the sad part is it's not even that long of a chapter... and I do indeed deeply apologize for that. But as to celebrate the wondrous "joy" of getting my wisdom teeth taken out, I decided to try and finish it up and see what you guys thought. This story is more than likely not even close to over. But I decided that I need your guys help please. I want you guys to tell me in PM, comments, whatever, what you want to happen in the next chapter. I mean location, maybe a pony that comes into the equation, a conflict you perhaps want to see, stuff like that. And I'll see what I can't do. Well thanks for being patient and I hope you enjoy this chapter. Also any grammatical mistakes you see please feel free to tell me. :)

Luna was lying down next to Twilight, the unicorn sound asleep next to her. It was early in the morning, the sun still hidden from view and the moon was gently shining in the sky. Luna let out a content sigh as she looked down at the mare beside her, a smile placing itself on her face. She still could barely believe what had happened yesterday. When Twilight had kissed her on purpose it felt as if a great burden which had been hanging on her for so long was finally lifted from her. She still didn’t quite know what that burden had been, but, none the less, it made her happy that it was gone.

After that kiss, Luna could have sworn that time had stopped for a moment. Every bad or depressing thought in her head had instantly vanished from her mind. All she felt was joy and happiness in that moment, and continued to.

She gently laid her head down next to Twilight’s, leaving enough room for the unicorn so that she wouldn’t disturb her slumber. However, as she laid her head down, Twilight’s gently moved closer to her. Luna just smiled and gently leaned her head towards her, now official, marefriend. She gently giggled to herself, thinking about how ridiculous it had seemed for Twilight to actually like her. Honestly she was surprised at herself. The fact that she had actually developed feelings for the mare was a shock to her. She had thought that she could never truly like anypony like this. However, Twilight had obviously changed that. She didn’t know what had really caused her to fall for the unicorn. It could have been her kindness towards her on that first Nightmare Night. However, that made their friendship, not feelings of affection… right? Perhaps it grew steadily over time and Luna had never truly noticed. But, then what caused Twilight to like her back?

Was it mere pity, perhaps loneliness? Or, had she had feelings for Luna buried within herself? Luna let out a gentle sigh and let herself relax. Letting all those questions into her head was sure to lead to doubts and that was the last thing she wanted right now. To distract herself from the many questions circling around her head, Luna let her eyes wander to the decorations in the house. They were beautiful and filled her with joy as she looked at them all from the sparkling snowflakes to the streamers and ornaments hanging around. It was quite the sight, beautiful actually. As she took it all in she gently let her eyes close and allowed her mind wander. She thought about all the joy and happiness she had experienced in these last few days. She thought about how much fun it had been to have breakfast with all of Twilight’s friends. She thought about all of the joy that was to possibly come in the future.

Due to her losing herself in her thoughts however, she failed to realize that her mind slowly began to wander, not into more of her own thoughts, but into the mind next to her, Twilight’s mind. Her consciousness drifted into Twilight’s as a world slowly began to materialize around her. A grassy landscape filled what was just utter blackness mere moments ago. Trees sprouted up in seconds, blue filled the sky, clouds appeared from nowhere and a gentle breeze swept through the land. Luna slowly opened her eyes and found herself in this peaceful place, slowly looking around and taking in her surroundings, a smile still present on her face.

“I must be dreaming” She said to herself as she began to walk around. It was strangely quiet except for the breeze that still blew every now and then, making its way through Luna’s dark blue fur and her now starry mane, even though it was just a dream. However, to her, dreams were as real as reality itself. Her powers allowed her to manifest into them and interact with them at will. As she continued walking however, she found that flowers of varying colors were beginning to sprout up, butterflies and birds began to fly around in the air around her and the land seemed to become more alive. “I suppose my mind is still making the landscape… interesting, I don’t even remember thinking of this place…” That was when she felt something, or rather somepony, run into her. The force knocked both her and the pony off their hooves and they both landed with a thud onto the soft grass. As Luna slowly recovered herself and looked up her eyes went wide at who she saw. Twilight lay on the ground in front of her, a picnic blanket now sprawled out on the grass in a rumpled heap and a small woven basket with its contents of food spilled out.

A groan was what left Twilight’s mouth as she slowly got up. When she turned around to see what she had stumbled over she gave a confused look.

“Luna? What are you doing here?”

“I was about to ask you the same thing.”

“I was on my way to… to, uh… uh… I actually don’t know where I was going…” She looked down at the picnic basket and gave a confused look. “Now that I think about it, I don’t I know why I was carrying a picnic basket either.”

“Well you must have been going somewhere… For a dream that I know is happening, I’m not having much success manipulating it.”

“Wait… what do you mean by a dream?”

“We’re inside a dream I’m having. But I’m still perplexed as to why I can’t control any aspect of it…” And that was when she realized that this wasn’t her dream. This was Twilight’s. A blush found its way to Luna’s face as the realization hit her. “Oh no…” was all that she could manage to say.

“Are you okay Luna?”

“I-I must depart.”

“Wha- why? How are you going to leave your own dream?”

“Because this isn’t mine… it’s yours. I am very sorry that I have intruded on your privacy.” Her horn was beginning to glow as she was preparing to remove herself from the dream when suddenly Twilight put a hoof on her.

“Well… who says you have to go?” Luna gave her a look of confusion, her horn’s glow slowly fading.

“A-are you saying that… you are okay with me being here?”

“Well, I don’t see why I wouldn’t be.”

“Are you sure Twilight? This is your dream, and dreams can hold many dark secrets… are you sure you wish to take that risk and let me remain?” Twilight just looked Luna right in the eyes for a few moments before going up and placing her lips onto hers. Both of their faces became bright red, especially Luna’s. Even though it was a dream, the kiss felt as real to her as it did in the real world. When Twilight’s lips parted from Luna’s she just smiled at her, the blush still very present on her features. “I-I’ll take that as a yes…”

Twilight just let out a small giggle and nodded. “So, you can enter ponies’ dreams?”

“Yes, after all, I am the Princess of the Night…” Her blush seemed to deepen a bit at the mention of that.

“So then what’s wrong with coming into my dream?”

“Well because I didn’t intend to… Yes I can enter ponies’ dreams at will, however I only do so when it is needed… such as with reoccurring nightmares.” Twilight just smiled at her. “Is… something funny?”

“No, I’m just smiling because of how sweet you are.” Luna’s face went from red to crimson in an instant, leaving Twilight to just giggle at the sudden change in color. With a content sigh Twilight looked around at the beautiful landscape. The sky was pure blue, clouds rolling across the sky, a gentle and cool breeze running through their fur, and small animals scurrying about. “So, this is all just a dream?”

It took Luna a moment to realize that she had been asked a question as she was still trying to regain some of her usual composure, to no avail. “Oh, yes. This is all in your mind.” Twilight sat down, taking everything in, another smile finding its way onto her face.

“It’s beautiful…”

“That is most likely because you’re happy.” The Night Princess said as she sat next to her purple marefriend, looking out at the land as well. The two of them sat there for some time, taking in the relaxing atmosphere and just enjoying each other’s company. That is until Twilight asked a question.

“Luna… what are dreams?”

“…What do you mean Twilight?”

“Well… um… uh… well what are dreams? I… don’t really know a better way to word it.” Twilight had a deep look of curiosity in her eyes as she looked around the landscape once again and then back to Luna with a heartwarming smile. Luna returned it with a small one of hers and took a deep breath.


“Dreams are… many things Twilight. Even I don’t believe I know everything about them. They are something that have always existed… and perhaps always will. But they are many different things.”

“Different things? I’ve only read about dreams being memories that our minds try to remember throughout the day.”

“That’s one form. Some dreams are indeed memories. Some good, some bad. It is our brains trying to process all of what happened within days or weeks, perhaps even months. Yet if we experience it, it feels like merely seconds.” Luna looked right into Twilight’s eyes as she kept talking, and Twilight never averted her gaze from Luna’s. “However, dreams are more than just memories. Dreams are also messages, from where I do not know. Some can be from our conscious, others from our feelings, and still others from who knows where. It’s never quite clear really… but dreams are also a pony’s hopes and goals.”

“How’s that?”

“Because dreams can show ways of accomplishing that hope or goal, but we rarely get the whole message. I believe those kind of dreams just guide us on the right path and it’s up to us to continue on from there.”

“… I guess that makes sense.”

“What are your hopes and goals, Twilight?”

“Wh-what? M-mine? Oh w-well um… to master and fully understand the magic of friendship is one…”

“And have you had dreams that has helped you with that goal?”

“I… well… yes actually…”

“What were they?” Luna had her full attention on Twilight, a smile on her face to help reassure the young purple mare.

“W-well… there was one where I was alone in darkness. I had no idea where I was or how to get out and so I just sat there... wondering what to do. Then I heard someone calling my name. Then another voice and another and another. So I followed them and I came to a light where all of my friends were gathered… and they were calling out to me… when I went to go to them they all came to me with open arms, comforting me…”

“And how did that help your goal?”

“… Because it showed me that no matter what, my friends would always take care of me…” Both Luna and Twilight smiled and Luna leaned down and gave her marefriend a gentle nuzzle which Twilight responded at with a giggle.

“Dreams show us many things… we just need to learn how to see them for what they are.” Twilight just nodded in agreement, and the two returned to silence, looking out at the gorgeous landscape in front of them, Twilight’s head resting on Luna’s shoulder.

“… Do you want to know another dream of mine, Luna?”

“Of course, I’d love to.” A small blush pushed its way up to Twilight’s cheeks as she spoke.

“I want to learn what true love is…” Luna blushed in turn and slowly looked at the unicorn to the side of her, then smiled.

“As do I Twilight Sparkle… as do I.”

Comments ( 10 )

Huzzah :D This is a wonderful story, and I can't wait for more :twilightsheepish: keep up the good work

Really nice! Also there is some idea for the rest of the story:

A good nightmare is nice but she still don't have a body. It is a conflict because there is two things that may happen: 1 Nightmare become jealous of the sensation of have a body and be loved => take over Luna's body or try to suicide in some ways. 2: Try to take a new body by cutting a little part of Luna's soul or something, it's magic so you are free if you explain it.

You COULD take the patern of a angry Celestia about there relationship but I don't recommend it.

There are always the old problem about death. A mortal who dates a immortal must ask himself if that worth the soth and the immortal if i will suport the loose.

I find to bad that you have made luna a virgin who have never know troo love. She is VERY old, she should have at least have one relationship before been banish. With that, she could compare Twilight and the long time lost first love => Twilight thinks she isn't worthy etc... (drama and conflict).

For the location, the idea of winter is going somewhere the ice is wonderful ( waterfall for exemple), doing some icekating ( twilight is very bad => comic + situation ideal for a stolen kiss), take advantage of the long nights to look at the sky (Guess who will love it).

You aslo can introduce some family for Luna or twilight. The reaction of Shinning armor can be a conflict or a funny moment and I'm sure cadance would squee like crasy. with Luna's family,, you could create a little equestria mytology if you feel like it.

It's just some idea, if you want to use them go ahead and excuse my poor english, it's not my primary language.

Well, you seem to have gotten the hang of adding punctuation at the end of dialogue. However, I would suggest going back and fixing the previous chapters, as the constant lack there detracts from the story.

So... I had completely forgotten this thing existed. Still, it's a nice thing to see it continue :derpytongue2:

They visit cadance And Shining, Funny Situations. :trollestia:

Cadance (or Shiny or someone else close to Twilight in her youth) tells Luna about Twilight's secret dream of growing wings and becoming the Aicorn of Libraries .... Alicorn of the Stars is an acceptable alternate choice ... :scootangel:

Adding Shining Armor and Cadence to the plot would be very interesting. Also to make up for some laughs maybe try adding a meeting with Twilight's parents somehow, have you ever tried introducing your girlfriend or boyfriend to your parents? It can be a little terrifying. I love the idea of a good Nightmare Moon to, it certainly is a fresh break from all the evil surrounding her in other stories:twilightsmile:. Maybe you could eventually have her fall for Twilight and become jealous of Luna and have her be like a rival, or maybe even introduce a new pony to be with Nightmare with her own body outside of Luna's.

3569591 so is this story dead...or what?

Having read it in it's entirety I note one thing that should be changed, and I mean this in the least offensive way possible... You use the word 'However' quite a bit. You should look up alternative words. The story remains amazingly cute, regardless of this fact. While I would love to see this story continued, I will respect any decision made about it.

getting my wisdom teeth taken out

My wisdom teeth grew in about 3 years ago, I never got rid of them, it actually fits in my mouth perfectly.

I don't understand why people get rid of them.




Hoping for this story to get continued in the future.



Comment posted April 11th (don't ask questions, it's personal business.)

Login or register to comment