• Published 13th Dec 2019
  • 455 Views, 14 Comments

(Hour Long Movie) Murder on Hearths Warming - DakariKingMykan



A pony is found dead, but who did it?

  • ...
43
 14
 455

Closing Act: What are friends for

CLOSING ACT

The days passed by silently, and word of Numeral’s suicide had spread. Many ponies were mean to him, especially his boss and co-workers were most upset to hear, and the boss felt he had played a bad part in it all by dismissing him and not caring why he was distraught.

Numeral’s house was now up for auction, but many ponies didn’t seem to interested knowing some-pony died in it.

Shifty was really upset, and brought the news straight to her father, and admonished him for the horrible things he had said to his own son, her brother.

For the first time in his life, her father looked ashamed and upset with himself. He was ashamed of his son, and did say he was dead to him, but now that he was really dead really got to him.


Applejack’s reputation was safe, because every-pony knew her apples were not naturally poisonous.

Sad to say, Lip Smear had it the worst!

Steel Hoof broke up with her, still disgusted that he was just some sort of pawn in boosting her image, and that her feelings for him were of dishonesty and selfishness.

The newspapers also telling stories of her shallowness-- dumping Numeral and dating a stud pony just to better her image-- that really sullied her reputation and was bound to have super negative impact on her business.

…And it did!

Her new store was opened, but not that much of a crowd gathered. Mayor Mare and her council did come to cut the ribbon, but they too felt rather awkward being around a pony like Lip, and knowing what she did.

Of course she still got some business, that of the same prestigious and arrogant ponies that felt glad that Numeral was dead, but they also admonished her for dumping Steel Hoof, not knowing or caring it was he who dumped her.


Spike, though upset with Lip for her actions, he felt she was being treated far too harshly.

“Isn’t there anything we can do for her?” he asked.

Twilight pondered and realized, “Yes, I think there is. After all, it is Hearth’s Warming Eve.”

Lip Smear sat in a hotel room, all by herself and the curtains were drawn shut. She felt far too ashamed with herself to look outside at all the glittering lights and every other pony who was trying to salvage their own Hearths Warming after learning of what happened.

No she had no colt-friend, a dwindling reputation, and worst of all a conscience full of extreme guilt.

All she could think of was Numeral, and remember how much he really meant the world to her and how she betrayed him, and though she was not responsible for the murder, she still felt like it because she drove him to kill himself.

She lay on her bed shaking painfully and letting out tiny sobs into her pillow.

Suddenly, there was a knock at her door. She looked up from her pillow and dried up as best she could.

She looked through the peephole in the door and was surprised to see, “Rarity…?” and the others there as well.

She opened the door and Rarity stepped in first and gave her a soft smile. “Happy Hearths Warming, Lip Stream”

She levitated up a small soft object rapped in red parchment paper.

Twilight, Starlight and Spike each brought a fancy present as well, and Applejack had brought a fresh baked apple pie and some hot cocoa in a big thermos.

“But… I don’t understand.” said Lip.

“It’s Hearths Warming, Lip Smear,” said Twilight “And though it can’t be ignored what happened because of you, we can’t bear to think of you here all alone and hurting.”

Applejack nodded, “If there’s one thing Granny Smith taught me, it’s that no-pony deserves to be all alone on Hearths Warming, no matter what they may or may not have done.

Not quite sure if that applies to all things, but… eh.”

Lip shed another tear, but it was more sadness than cheer. “I really don’t know how I’m ever going to go on. I can’t stop thinking about Numeral, and how… how he…”

She broke down and began to sob softly.

“Oh, please don’t cry dear.” Rarity said tearfully. “I know it hurts, and I must admit, I was shocked myself to hear all this when I solved the case.”

“I thought no-pony would ever want to be near me again.” sobbed Lip “I wouldn’t want to be near me after what I did.”

“Lip…” said Starlight “We can’t deny you did make an extremely poor choice, and for all the wrong reasons.”

Lip looked ready to burst into loud sobs, but Twilight quickly said, “But we understand why you did, because you were being pushed around by others and treated very badly.”

“No joke,” agreed Spike “If any-pony talked like that to me or my friends, I’d give them a piece of my mind… at least verbally.”

Rarity cleared her throat, and handed Lip the gift she had made her. “I know this will not really make things seem better, and it may take long time as well, but I’d like you to have this, which I made especially for you.”

Lip wiped away her tears and opened the gift. Inside was a pure white scarf with wavy stringed-ends. It even sparkled a little bit due to the shiny yarn Rarity had used.

She had never seen anything so beautiful. “You made this for me?”

Rarity smiled lovingly, “That’s what friends do, even in the darkest of times, and you really could use some now.”

Lip looked as though she was going to cry again, and everyone huddled around and gave her a big group hug to warm her.

It was unknown if she would be able to pick herself up and get on with her life, but whichever way, she would never forget the great burden that was forever scarred into her life.

“I’m sorry, Numeral. I know it means nothing now, but I didn’t want it this way.”


The scene faded back into the reading room, as Vincent addressed his audience.

“And so ends “The Murder of Hearths Warming.”

The wolves howled, and the ominous music started up again as he closed off his show.

“Tune in next time for more mystery adventures from the casebook of Detective Rarity, and all her pony friends in their quests for justice and truth.

Until then, I’m your host, Vincent Thrice, saying farewell… from Mysterious Theater.”

Lightning and thunder shook the eerie skies outside the window, as he casually looked over, nodded slowly at the darkness, and then relaxed in his chair, alone in his study.

The show was over!

Author's Note:

And as usual, to the my little ponies...

Comments ( 3 )

hearts warming took a whole new meaning that day, where trees were being trimmed and where carolers were singing, and where dolls were being stitched over fireplaces. a body was dropping. There are many hearths warmings I'll never forget, but none so bittersweet as this. detective rarity, signing off.

10919306

You think that was bad? Try FIF 12 and 20

10919314
fif 20 was action-packed and bone chilling.

haven't seen 12 but I've seen 14, also great for subverting my expectations

Login or register to comment