• Published 24th Dec 2019
  • 353 Views, 6 Comments

The Kids Aren't Alright - Octave Storm



"There is a war coming, and you better pick your side. There is no reasoning with the beasts, we can only fight for what's ours in hopes that we will one day win."

  • ...
 6
 353

A Bad Trip I Couldn't Get Off

Author's Note:

CW: mentions of malnutrition

Against the dawning sky, the air hummed, thick with beating insect wings. The thing about the changelings was that their sheer numbers and ability to reproduce quickly kept them going. They were used to the cruelty of Chrysalis and knew how to fight from young, sending drones that had only just mastered their shapeshifting abilities out. It was just like the old times again, where everyone had numbers instead of names.

At the hive, some complained about how it would be better if they had not betrayed Chrysalis. They would be in a better state, they wouldn't be part of this war. There was so little food now, since war thrived on bitterness and mistrust. They were constantly hungry, feeding on what little love their enemies had to offer before leaving them for the dead. It was a small consolation that most of the other kingdoms were not fairing much better, the ponies crops ruined by the flames the dragons had incinerated their lands with and everything else to damaged to sustain life. Dragons had the jewels of course but more than that was needed to sustain them.

A changeling surveyed the battlefield, barely recognizing Sweet Apple Acres. The changelings had been trying to advance for weeks now, defending the Everfree Forest from the lovey-dovey ponies. For a moment, they felt a pang in their heart. It was hard to have an individual thought now, the commands too loud to disobey. Had..? Had they once been here, back before the war? They couldn't remember why. It might have just been a dream. Had this place ever been anything other than trees burnt crisp and stained red?

They landed at an empty patch, holding back from the rest of the forces. It felt strange to have holes in their legs again, a sense of emptiness that sent shivers down their spine. Before they could dwell on the thought any longer, they charged ahead, fangs bared for all the world to see. They... They didn't want to be running right now, they wanted to be safe in the hive. Yet, they had no say in it, charging at the nearest non-changeling they saw.

Just before they sank their jaw into the pastel-colored pony, the pony's eyes flashed blue-green and they turned into a changeling. "Don't do that again," The first changeling said, shoving them roughly.

"I'm a scout, newbie." The second changeling pulled themself up quickly and kicking the first while they did. "Didn't anyone tell you to look at the cutie mark?" They growled, glaring.

"Oh yeah, I'm totally going to look at some pony's gross flank before I rip their throat out," The first changeling replied coldly before flying away, trying not to be horrified by the words that had left their mouth. They hadn't been trained, they had been stuck in a forgotten corner in the damp hive before a guard came over and told them that they were needed outside. They had been told that they would already know what to do, the hive would tell them. If they tried and focused really hard, they could almost remember why they were in that corner. Although, there was never time to dwell on the reason, with the hive guiding their every step.

It wasn't long before the changeling found themself battling a young foal with light green-blue and pink mane, ribs poking through. She looked at school-age, a blank flank. No matter how much they tried, the changeling still charged forward at the child. A yellowish-green blur knocked the filly out of the way, taking her place. The clear love for the younger one made the changeling's mouth water and just as they were about to feed, their vision snapped back into place.

They resisted the hive, attempting to hide their fangs. Their vision blurred in and out as they tried to focus on the familiar looking pony in front of them, the three turtles that marked his flank.

"Sandbar?"

Sandbar scooted away in fear, hiding the filly behind him. His eyes were wide with fear and he kept edging away,

The changeling pushed the love they had stolen from the filly back into her, filling her with fresh energy. It was the least they could do before they succumbed to the hive again. They didn't know why they knew the pony's name, nor why they were doing this but it just felt right.

A sharp white glow cut into the changeling's vision and they shut their eyes, trying to block out the pain. This is it, they thought to themself.

The voice came, a bare, frightened whisper.

"Ocellus?"

Sandbar's thoughts were racing. The changeling probably recognized him and was taking on the face of his old friend to destroy his mind. He pushed his sister back a little more, hissing to her, "Go hide. You shouldn't be here."

"I was looking for you!" The foal protested, clinging to Sandbar's leg.

Ocellus crouched down, studying her forelegs. They were whole again and it felt good, they were solid enough to carry things. Like books. The hive was in a far corner of her mind and she was getting accustomed to this again. She couldn't remember the last time she had felt like this, so complete.

"How I wish I could have met your sister in more favorable conditions," Ocellus whispered, trying to remember who she was, or who she had been before the war.

"Are you-?" Sandbar must be dead, no way this was really happening.

"Is there any way for me to prove it to you?" Ocellus wracked her brain, trying to think of something that would prove it. "We were at the Castle of the Two Sisters. Silver had just discovered stairs, I was happy because there were pillows and all those books-"

"Ocellus." Sandbar smiled at her, something sad and warning. "We will meet again soon, but I hope not as soon as I think." He held out his foreleg, which was bandaged and probably infected. His eyes were bright with fever, yet glazed dull. His cheeks were hollowed out and Ocellus couldn't tell if he was already dead.

"Sandbar! I can..." Even without Sandbar saying anything, she knew that there was nothing she could do. She was weakened by hunger, the other changelings all turning to her to feed when they went hungry because she had done something she shouldn't have. In her metamorphized form, she still trembled as she stood, dizzy with fatigue.

There were no more words, just the two that lay on the battlefield as time slowed around them.

Ocellus was still the meek changeling Sandbar remembered, always ready to be kind to others even when she should not be. His vision was already clouding when a black figure dealt a blow to Ocellus's head, making the traitors end faster than it would have been. The changeling turned away from Sandbar in disgust and he crawled to her, taking her into his forelegs as the world faded, the final curtain call.

Comments ( 6 )

10002156
I based this off the song by FOB but the one by the offspring is an absolute jam too

jeez i dunno who left that thumbs down and i'm glad i got feedback but i'd love to know how i can improve too? don't suppose you'll read this comment tho but I guess thanks for the read if you're here?

I legit liked and faced this just for the name now I'm gonna check it out

Holy this is darker then nightmare moons coat

Is it bad like really bad I'd want to make a alt to this fic of the young 6 still in the war but fighting to protect each other and end the war?

Login or register to comment