• ...
3
 90
 2,619

Waterlogged Bonus

Meanwhile at the Hudson Shoreline…

Percy

“I exercise a lot. That’s why,” Rainbow Dash replied to me when we got to where one of the flood zones were. And I was right, water was surging everywhere around the beach where Dash ran us to. I hop out of her arms and survey the scene around us.

Off to the right of use where the shore was supposed to be I see that the shore doesn’t exist anymore. It has been completely submerged in the water from the Hudson river. Ever since I gave those water spirits that sand dollar it seems that he has kept his river cleaner than it was. With the water looking so clean and shining under the moonlight it kind of looked peaceful almost. Except for the screams that were coming from the people bobbing in the water that had advanced far onto the streets. It seems that they had been knocked over and swept away by the current.

“Dash, can you go check on the east river and harlem banks to make sure that they are fine? If I had to guess then I would say that this will be the only section of Manhattan being flooded.

“No problem,” She quickly ran off and while I continued thinking of the best strategy she came back not even panting. “I checked all the other shores and you’re right. These are the only banks that are being flooded. The only problem is that the flood last for miles in both directions. What are we supposed to do?”

I thought it over for a moment then came up with a plan, “Say Rainbow, how fast can you run?”

“I’ve never tested it before but if Sunset is right about me being as fast as my counterpart then I can break the sound barrier if I try hard enough.”

“Think it’s fast enough to run on water?” I smirk her way as I dig through my pockets looking for my wallet. Realization dawns on her face and she thinks for a second.

“I haven’t ever tried it before except...Oh! I ran on the water once before when me and my friends were stuck on an island.” She then ran off for a second and came back a second later with 2 people in her arms soaking wet. “I can carry 2 people at once before I start to sink. I learned that the hard way.”

“Okay, I’m going to need to to run on the water and get as many people out as you can before the authorities arrive ok?” I tell her this after she set the people down and they started running off.

“Shouldn’t I be stealthier than that? What if people notice me using my power?” She sounded worried for the first time since this mission started, “Or what if I can’t get everyone out and someone drowns?!”

I grab her hands and look in her eyes as I tell her, “Dash, don’t worry. You’re so fast that I doubt anyone would be able to tell it’s you by the time you pick them up and place them down. Not only that but there is this thing called the mist that makes it so humans can’t see supernatural things as easily.” When she still looked at the water hesitantly I say one more thing that seems to shake her out of it, “And the more time you spend worrying the more time people have to drown. SO GO!”

She nods her head with a solemn look on her face and she rushes off. In less than 10 seconds people start getting lined up on the dry land. They all looked confused but they don’t seem scared other than from what just happened. Thankfully it seems the mist is working hard at making sure the mortals don’t figure out what is going on.

After being reassured of what is going on I find what I was looking for in my wallet and dive down in to the water. As I’m swimming and getting near the bottom I start yelling in the water, “Hudson! HUDSON! Yo, I got something if you help me!”

“What is it?” I turn around and see the eyes of the Hudson River water spirit looking at me. I take out the two sand dollars in my pocket and show them to his eyes. They go wide and they blink out for a second before his entire body appears before me, “What do you need me to do? I’ll do anything you need!”

“Nothing much, you know how your river flooded the street?”

“Yeah? I don’t have enough strength in me to pull back the entire flood if that’s what you want.”

“No no no. That isn’t what I was suggesting at all. I just want you to keep everyone who got swept up floating in the water until they get help. Deal?” I wave the sand dollars in hopes of sealing the deal. He brightens up and takes the dollars instantly.

He starts circling his hand as he puts the dollars into his version of the Aether, “They should all be floating now, I won’t let any of them sink as long as I am still alive.”

“Thanks Hudson! I really appreciate it! I’ll come every once in a while to help clean up around here when I can!” I wave as I start swimming up to the surface.

Before I get to far away I do hear him yell one last thing my way, “Thanks kid! Come by anytime!”


Rainbow Dash

Ha! Perce was right! I can easily get all of these people before they sink! I’ve already helped 50 people in the last 10 minutes! Although as I go on longer I am getting slower every minute or so. I’m not used to using my speed for long periods of time. I only lose 1 or 2 mph or so every time. It’s not much but it will stack up eventually. When I started I was working with 550 mph. I’ve dropped to 535 from that time. Eventually I’m going to have to slow down enough to stay above the water while keeping my energy up.

This would be easier with Percy but he dived down 5 minutes ago and still hasn’t come back up. I would be worried if he wasn’t the son of Popeyedon but I know he is working on a way to make saving these people easier and faster. I work in a zigzag sort of way going from person to person to street. Thankfully there is enough moon and streetlight for me to see all the people bobbing in the water. I hear some kids over to my right and before I can do anything I see the water gushing them towards the street on it’s own power. I smirk as I see a figure almost riding the water as they control the water to push citizens to the street.

“Awesome!” I yell to Percy before I start working in the opposite direction. I check my current speed and I noticed that it’s dropped to 527. Damnit. I need to work faster otherwise I’ll have to drop down to 200 before I save even 100 people. I start moving in tighter lines so I can collect people faster than I was before.

Before long not only are my feet moving at superspeed. But my hands are too. As I pass people my hands scoop them up faster than a normal human can blink. My mind is beginning to think of it like I’m stealing the people from the water. I don’t know why but as soon I started thinking like that my body started to act craftier and faster. Almost like it was built for working like this.

Within 30 minutes I’ve stolen about 180 people from the waves. Even though my hands are beginning to move faster my legs are still slowing down. Since starting it’s dropped to 450. As I go on longer they start slowing even more. 10 minutes ago they increased to losing 5 mph a minute. I’m guessing that eventually that they will start slowing even more than that.

I push the thought aside as I get back into the game. It doesn’t matter if I go slower, I can still save people no matter what. Not only are my legs slowing me down but my clothes have become soaked, adding another 20 to 30 pounds onto me. I considered taking them off but decided against that since it would be too awkward.

Where are those damn rescue people? Have I just not reached them yet? Damnit! I think as I steal 2 more people who are bobbing. I probably could have gotten all of the people out by now if there weren’t so many people who were stuck in their cars and vehicles. Plus I have to avoid all the debris that is also floating in the water. It’s weird because a lot of stuff should have sunk by now. Oh! Like that hotdog cart right there! Hm, I wonder if any of them are still good? I could use a hotdog...Ugh! Focus Rainbow! She slapped her own face to get herself back in the game. But it was weird about what was going on. It was almost like the river itself was rejecting everything and keeping it floating it up. It was handy with keeping all the citizens floating but it was a pain in the ass since she also had to be wary of the debris.

She then heard another scream and went to save the person who was yelling.

3 hours later…

It only took 3 hours but we were able to get all of the people out of the water. As I expected I had to go down to 200 mph in order to stay up and still be able to save others. All in all I think we did a good job. There weren’t any deaths and there were not many injuries to people who were in the water.

“Good job Perce, although I am pretty sure that I saved way more people than you did,” I bragged to Percy.

He smiled and looked at me, “Oh yeah how many people did you save?”

“I saved 400 all by myself,” I smirked at him.

“I saved 400 people too…” His smile fell as we both came to the realization that we had tied.

“OH COME ON! How did you save so many people! I saved so many people!” I basically yelled.

“Well I just surfed and sent people to shore as I saw them. I was moving slowly but could send a lot of people at once.” He said.

“Well I was moving super fast but I could only save about 2 people at a time,” We both looked at each other and looked in the other’s eyes. In that moment I knew a rivalry had sparked between us. I decided to put it aside for the moment since it was too late and I was exhausted. “Let’s just get back to the museum, deal?”

“Deal,” And with that I picked him up again and we raced off back to the museum with the moon shining above us the whole way there. Who knew I would find a rival today.

Author's Note:

Hey everyone! Sorry for leaving you all off there for so long! I hope you like the first bonus chapter! I thought that this story needed some more action after the first chapter and I wanted to see how I could do with it! Thanks for reading!

-Ballisticzebra