• Published 9th Dec 2019
  • 1,158 Views, 14 Comments

For My Love - Jhoira



Even in old age, Applejack is Rarity's great comfort.

  • ...
4
 14
 1,158

Perception

Rarity groaned a little as she turned over in the bed. She had been sick for so long she couldn't remember. It wasn't terrible, she still had her knitting. Thankfully she was a unicorn so she could keep herself busy. Though her work wasn't runway-worthy any longer it was still warm. She would send Applejack into town to give away any clothes she finished. That was the highlight of any week, when she got to finish another sweater or some such and hear about how some young foal had something nice to wear now. But the highlight of her days was about to happen.

Rarity smiled as the door opened, as she knew it would. Applejack stepped into the room and looked as radiant as she had ever been. Though Rarity wasn't sure how Applejack had weathered the years so very well. It looked as though she was younger by half a decade and some change. But that didn't matter to Rarity. The kindness, care, and love that was ever-flowing from her mate was the most important part of her life.

"Hello, darling." Rarity shifted up slightly, so she could look Applejack in the eyes.

Applejack smiled in return, walking over to her bedside and depositing a vase, newly filled with flowers. "Good morning Rarity, how are you feeling?"

Rarity absolutely beamed at the flowers, staring at them for long moments. "Oh, darling. They are so beautiful. And I am doing well this morning." Her smile brightened as she looked back at Applejack. "Do you have a busy day ahead of you?"

Applejack nodded her head slightly. "Yes'm. We have lotsa apples to pick. It'll be a bumper crop this year for certain."

Rarity nodded, about to go back to staring at her new flowers before she gasped loudly. "Applejack! Where is your hat?"

There was a long, pregnant pause between the two. Applejack just smiled and shook her head. "I left it up on the hill. Don't worry though, I'll be going out there right after I'm done visitin' you."

"Goodness, you had me worried there, Applejack." She settled back into the pillows of her bed. "You know I made you that hat."

Applejack nodded with a slight chuckle. "Yes'm, I know."

"Oh dear, have I already told you this story? Oh, wait... No, you were there weren't you dear? I'm sorry... I know I'm... It's harder for me to... It's..." Rarity trailed off, huffing slightly. "What... What were we talking about darling? I forget."

Applejack patted Rarity's hoof gently. "You were telling me about making the stetson."

Rarity nodded hesitantly. She was fairly certain she'd told Applejack this story before... Should she tell it again? "Darling, haven't I told you this story before?"

Applejack nodded and smiled. "Yes you have, but tell it again, you like telling it." Sitting down and watching intently Applejack seemed ready to listen.

Shaking her head Rarity couldn't help but chuckle. "Oh no, darling, we can save one of my repeated stories for a cold evening when you don't have work to be doing, can't we?"

Applejack chuckled in response and nodded. "Of course, you won't be going anywhere until you tell me that story again."

Rarity giggled a bit. "You should tell me a story then too."

"What story do you want to hear, Rarity?"

Rarity flushed gently, she always gave the same answer, even before she had started to forget things, and now even more so. "What about how you fell in love with me?"

Applejack chuckled and shook her head. "That story takes hours to properly tell, and as you said I do have work to do out there. Lots of apples to buck."

Rarity let out a small bark of laughter herself, sticking her tongue out at the other pony. "Oh sure, I use it as an excuse, so you just have to do the same." She tilted her head slightly. "Fine, perhaps we can tell each other stories this evening then? When you're done with work?"

Applejack nodded in response, holding up a hoof. "I promise." Before she moved her hoof up over her eyes. "Pinkie promise, so you know I'm telling the truth."

Rarity couldn't stop her frail frame from rocking slightly with her laughter. "Darling, you're the element of honesty. You always tell the truth."

Rarity closed her eyes for a moment as Applejack turned to leave. Deciding that perhaps a short nap before her knitting might be in order. She was so very tired recently she could barely complete a project a week. But it was still progress, it still helped. Her eyes snapped open before she could fall asleep though, summoning her strength she reached a hoof out towards Applejack. "Applejack!"

Turning around Applejack hurried back over. "Shh, it's alright Rarity, I'm here." Patting Rarity's hoof gently.

Rarity looked to the side, eyeing the beautiful flowers she'd been brought. Taking a long moment to pick out the most beautiful rose from the bunch, she levitated it. Pausing a moment so she could take a long, luxurious sniff of it. Closing her eyes to enjoy the full scent of the rose. The memories it called up of Applejack giving her an entire bouquet on their first date. Then she opened her eyes, continuing the rose on its journey over to Applejack. "For my love."

Applejack paused for a moment before gingerly taking the rose in her mouth, nodding. "Thank you, Rarity. I know just where to put this."


Applebloom walked up the short hill near the farmhouse. Approaching the small family cemetery that the Apples kept there. Past the older gravestones for Bright Mac and Pear Butter, past the one for Granny Smith and stopping at the newest grave. Looking up at the heavens she smiled gently. "Don't worry sis, I'll keep lookin' after her 'til she catches up to you." Laying the rose that Rarity had given her earlier down in front of the gravestone. Leaving Rarity's gift, 'for her love,' for her love.

Comments ( 14 )

This was a pretty good story, I especially liked the twist at the end. However, there are a couple of grammar mistakes but it's nothing too bad. If you like I can help you edit this because this is a very nice story. : )

9980609
Well certainly. If you want to do that I'll be happy to put in the edits. I tend to just get them to a nice service level of no typos and fairly well structured but I don't put a ton of time utilize editing myself.

9980624
I understand, but still this is a very nice story and I really enjoyed reading it.

Short and (bitter)sweet. That last paragraph made my heart sink. :fluttercry:

...Oh. Ohhhh.

That was a wonderful twist at the end.

This is really good. Really sad, too...
That last paragraph... oh my. What happened?! :fluttercry:

9981542
Well besides the obvious I didn't think of anything specific.

9980888
Yeah, I've been on a kick recently to make my shorter stories exactly 1k words.


9981318
Thank you. ^.^

That.. not sure why I did that. That was definitely not something I needed today. Well written with an amazing ending. Just wasn't the right day for me to decide to get around to this one.

9991562
I have no idea who you are and literally only know you through this site. And yet, you're a good friend.:twilightsmile:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

dammit, you really got me with this one ;__;

I was all invested into the fluff until the gut punch at the end, thanks. :pinkiesad2:

Login or register to comment