• Published 1st Feb 2020
  • 314 Views, 3 Comments

Zipporwhill P.I. and the Show Stopper - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Private investigator Zipporwhill is hired to watch over The Baltimare Trained Animal Show

  • ...
0
 3
 314

Cool Off and Recover

In the little medical room, Zipporwhill sat on an exam table. The doctor, a pink mare named Heart Throb, shined a light into her eyes, nose, throat, and ears even though the last part was not bothering her.

"And it was a red powder which did this to you?" the doctor asked.

Zipporwhill nodded slightly in response. She had tried to talk when she first arrived, but whatever had been used had irritated her throat, and she ended up coughing instead. Fortunately, Celestia had been able to explain what had happened before returning to the judge's booth.

The pink blob leaned forward, and Zipporwhill felt a tongue slide up along the front of her snout. There was then a smacking of lips, like someone was tasting something.

Had... had the doctor just licked her? Why?

"Are you allergic to chocolate, or lactose intolerant?"

Zipporwhill could only give a shake of her head dumbly. What in Equestria was going on? One moment, she was being examined like normal, the next, she was being licked, and now she was being asked about possible food allergies? Was this real? Was Heart Throb even a real doctor?

Said "doctor" disappeared from view.

"Go down to the concession and bring back a chocolate shake," she ordered, voice indicating that she was moving around the room.

Some seconds later, she returned.

"Tilt your head back and open your eyes wide. Try not to blink."

Zipporwhill did as she was told. She watched as something was brought up to her eye, and did her best not to blink or pull away. A cool liquid dripped into her eye, followed by a second, and then repeated with the other eye. There was a fresh burning sensation that made her blink, then quickly faded.

"Capsaicin," Doctor Heart Throb stated. "You can put your glasses back on now. It's what causes spicy peppers and such to make your mouth burn when you eat them."

As Zipporwhill put her glasses on, a tissue was passed to her.

"For your nose."

She took it and started blowing as the doctor continued talking.

"When it comes in contact with membrane tissue, such as the nostrils, around the eyes, or certain parts of the throat, it can create similar burning sensations. Fortunately, there's no known permanent or long term effects to such an exposure. So once the sensation has passed, you should be fine."

The door opened as another pony came in, carrying a milkshake.

"I unfortunately can't do anything directly about your sinuses. You'll just have to let your body flush it out naturally."

Heart Throb took the shake with a wing and passed it to Zipporwhill.

"Drink this," she ordered. "Slowly. Let it cover as much surface area of your mouth as it can before swallowing."

Taking the offered shake, Zipporwhill took a long, slow, drink, letting the thick, chocolaty liquid fill her mouth. Everywhere the beverage touched felt cooler. Not simply making her mouth colder, although it was, but also like someone had put a soothing lotion on a burning rash. The burning sensation did not vanish completely right away, but it did become a lot weaker, a lot more tolerable.

Tilting her head back, she let the shake rest in the back of her throat before swallowing.

"I would suggest that you go home and take a shower immediately," Doctor Heart Throb said, "but I doubt that you're going to."

"The creature responsible is still out there," Zipporwhill replied. Her voice was on the raspy side, and throat still felt tender, but she was able to talk again.

She took another long, slow swallow of her drink.

The doctor let out a snort of annoyance, pink wings flickering against her side. She rolled her eyes and gave a shake of her head.

"Well, there's nothing else that I can do. You're free to go when you're ready."

After taking one last long, slow swallow of the shake, Zipporwhill set it aside and hopped off the exam table.

"Thank you for your help, Doctor," she said as she started for the door.

Outside the room, she found Shadow waiting. The dog sat up as she came out, tail thumping against the wall with excitement. Zipporwhill reached out to pet him.

Just before she could touch him when Shadow started snorting, then shaking his head, followed by pawing at his snout.

Zipporwhill stopped, watching. She recognized the behavior. It meant that something was bothering the dog's nose. But he had been fine just...

The powder! She still had the powder all over her.

Turning around, Zipporwhill grabbed the door and pulled it back open.

"Doctor?" she called out. "What would happen if that stuff was used on animals?"

Heart Throb turned to look at her, brow furrowing as she thought.

"Well, I'm not a veterinarian," she said, "and with so many pets, I doubt the reaction would be universal." She let out a hum as she rubbed here chin. "But all the mammals are certainly vulnerable. The area in their nostrils and around the eyes are similar enough to ponies that it would affect them the same." Her brow furrowed. "Maybe more so since they are more sensitive?"

A frightening image formed in Zipporwhill's mind. The powder released throughout the entire building. Creatures and animals all throughout the building suddenly finding their eyes, noses and throats burning. There would be confusion. Panic. Fear. Some of the animals would lash out, possibly attacking anything that came near, even if it was some creature it knew and intended to help.

And if there was even one of any number of dangerous animals around, lives would be at risk.

"One more question. Do you know if this place has a ventilation system?"