• Published 8th Dec 2019
  • 1,880 Views, 7 Comments

Darker Shadows - ScorchingFlamesInc



Everypony questioned what made Cozy Glow evil. But a few nights before Twilight Sparkle's coronation, a shocking visitor shows up at her castle, holding answers to Cozy's past. It's not what you think.

  • ...
3
 7
 1,880

Chapter 2: Broken

A decade ago... Prudent's POV

"Infertile?" I asked in disbelief. "W-what do you mean infertile?"

"I'm sorry, Ms. Sagacity," the doctor said, holding a clipboard with his magic aura. "But according to these tests, you're just not fertile. No tumors. No cysts. Just infertility. That's all we know."

I gulped the huge painful lump forming in my throat. I have wanted a child for so long. Just hearing I can't conceive is bringing me to the brink of tears.

But I tried my hardest to stay calm.

"The only other suggestion I have for you is adoption," the doctor said. "Since that is the only alternative."

I nodded, still trying to hold back the tears in my eyes.

"Take as much time as you need. When you're ready, just go to the lobby, sign some paperwork, and you will be good to go."

I got off the bed.

"No, no. It's fine. I can sign it. I insist..."

The doctor shrugged.

"If you say so..." he said.

With that, he opened the door, and exited the room. I immediatly followed.



Thirty minutes later...



The streets of Manehatten were dark as I made my way closer to home, walking along the right side of the road.

The street I lived on was probably the darkest area of Manehatten. While all the streets were bright due to the many lights, where I lived was nearly the opposite. There were no lights on buildings, and there would be only one streetlight every few blocks. While the other streets had beautiful buildings and ponies wearing wonderful clothing, MY street had more dirty buildings and clothes. Plus, crime was more likely in my street.

Another disadvantage of my home was how far it was from work. Without a cab, it would take me at least 30 minutes to get to work. I didn't mind though.

By this point, the streets were as dark as they would get, meaning I'm almost home. If my special somepony was there, I would tell him the news. Otherwise, I would tell him tommorow.

Yeah. I had a special somepony. He wanted kids like I did. Just not as badly.

Anyway, as I resumed making my way closer to home, another thing happened that made my day even worse.

I was using my wing to carry my purse. Another thing about me was that I usually used my wings instead of my hooves or mouth.

Anyway, in the corner of my vision, I saw an orange aura surrounded the purse and yank it from my wing, bringing it into the alley next to me.

I made the mistake of looking at the alley where the purse went. When I looked at the direction it went, I suddenly saw a pony holding it for a split second before the purse struck me across my face. Hard. My eyes shut when I was hit, and when I opened them and looked at where the thief went, he already vanished around the alleyway corner.

I didn't even go after the theif. For all I know, they could be in a gang. And it would be too dark for me to find them in an alleyway.

My face felt bruised, and I could tell my right eye was puffy from the contact, because some of the swollen flesh obstructed my view.

For the second time today, I tried my best to not cry at my rotten luck.

As I made my way closer to the apartment building I lived in, I wondered how things could get any worse!

When I finally arrived, I opened the enterance, checked in with the clerk, and began searching for my room.

It didn't take long for me to find my door since it was so close to the lobby. Room 15. Under the number, was a dirty note. A plastic bag was next to the door.

I checked the note.

It was from my special somepony.


Prudent,

I am writing this note to tell you a secret I have kept from you...

I am dating somepony else.

When she discovered I was also dating you, she gave me the option. It was either you or her. I chose her.

I apologize, but that was what I chose. I wish you the best of luck, and if you are ever with child, I wish you luck with caring for it.

Oh, and she is getting over a phase where she would steal stuff. Don't worry, she didn't do much. When she came with me on my last visit herem she went inside to use the bathroom. No biggie. Sure, I told her you apartment number. But I promise that you are fine.


I didn't even bother reading the rest. it didn't matter anyway. It was just his signature.

His stupid, stupid, signature.

I picked up the plastic bag with my left wing and used my right wing to search the pocket of the coat I had on. I immediatly found the keys and took them out. At least I had keys in my pocket.

Opening the door, I saw that my apartment was extremely cluttered.

Looking around, I saw junk scattered on the floor. Not only that, but I discovered that some of my things were missing.

She didn't use the bathroom... I realized. She actually had the guts to barge in here and steal everything! I'm suprised that airhead of a colt she's dating didn't find out! Then again, she probably hid everything somewhere and made up an excuse for what took her so long...

I placed the plastic bag on the counter and began to look around.

I felt relieved when I saw that all the big things were still here. My fridge, table, couch, all of it. I noticed that the expensive small stuff was gone. Including... MY JEWELRY BOX!!!

When I saw it was gone, I looked under the small table it sat on and breathed a sigh of relief. It was still there. A very valuable gold and diamond necklace was taped to the bottom of the table. It was a family heirloom that was first obtained almost 500 years ago. I felt glad that the mare didn't look under the table during her theiving spree.

I went back to the kitchen, opened the plastic bag, and took out one of the items that was in there.

My former coltfriend's homemade jelly.

I told him I liked it when I first tried it. But you know what?

I hated it.

I put the jar on the counter when I heard a knock from the door.

Hoping it wasn't somepony I didn't want coming over, I went to the door and looked through the peephole. It was a mail pony, a unicorn, levitating a stack of mail. He must be working the night shift. Why he knocked on the door at this time of night, I have no idea.

I opened the door.

"Yes?"

"Um... are you Miss..." he looked at letter resting on top of the stack and read the name. "...Prudent Sagacity?"

"Yes... that is me," I replied.

He handed me a stack of letters.

"These are for you."

I took them with my wing.

"Thank you."

He nodded and then trotted away.

I closed the door and went back to the counter, before opening the first envelope.

It was a note.

I read the note.


Ms. Sagacity,

We regret to inform you that your services at the Manehatten Therapy Center are no longer needed.

We ended up getting the requirement to get rid of some of our oldest workers. And you are one of them.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

The Manehatten Therapy Center


I dropped the note, my eye twitching. That was the second time today I lost something through a note!

I resumed opening the rest of the letters. They were all bills!

And worse, I didn't have the money to pay for them!

That was the last straw! First, I discovered I couldn't conceive a foal! Then, I got hit in the face with my purse before it was stolen. Later, my former coltfriend dumped me through a letter! And then as I searched my apartment, I discovered that I was robbed again! And to top it all off, I got fired along with getting a ton of bills!

Breathing heavily, I picked up the jar of jelly and threw it against the wall. On impact, the jar immediatly stattered and glass flew all over the place. Unfourtunatly for me, one of the pieces recoiled and flew past my right cheek, cutting it open.

"ACK!!!"

I yelped as the glass cut my cheek before breathed heavily and then I lowered my head. Blood dripped out of the cut and onto the floor, and the tears were already starting to pour.

I stayed that way. For about 30 seconds. Before I finally brought my head back up and made my way to my room.

My bed was still there, fourtunately. The covers were ruffled, though. Probably because the theif searched the covers for anything hidden.

Slowly, I crawled on the bed and curled into a ball.

And that was where I stayed for the rest of the night, as I finally began crying at full force.

Author's Note:

I didn't know how to handle this. Whether you think Prudent is overreacting or not, I tried.

Link to poll: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/881006/poll-which-crossover-fic-should-happen

Link to other stories (if you want to read them. You don't have to): https://www.fimfiction.net/user/345991/CartoonopolisAdventures/stories

Feel free to make theories on what will happen. And always let the brony or pegasister within conquer your creativity.