• Published 17th Aug 2012
  • 8,155 Views, 374 Comments

Tales of Ponyville - RainbowDoubleDash



Six mares, six tales, all connecting together

  • ...
12
 374
 8,155

1. Stormy Weather

I hurt somepony once. Bad. It was the worst day of my life.

The funny thing is – ha, ‘funny,’ it isn’t really funny, it’s horrifying – is that I don’t even remember what made me do it all that well. I’d always been so good at just keeping everything inside, and this didn’t really seem all that different. It was summer flight camp, I was just a filly and he was just a colt, and I flubbed a turn or a aileron roll or something and got the lowest score in the camp, or near the lowest. And the colt – his name was Hoops – said something about my name, ‘Raindrops,’ being good ‘cause dropping like rain was all I was good at.

Ha. Ha ha. It was nothing I hadn’t heard before. Nothing I hadn’t dealt with and kept all bottled up inside before. But the next thing I was aware of, I was seeing red, and there was screaming, his and mine – him in pain, me in rage that had finally just boiled over and to the surface. And it was taking two coaches to pull me off of him and stop me from just continuing to pound into him. Then there were sirens, and police…

…long story short, I was still just a filly, and the judge decided that it was a ‘heat of the moment’ thing, that Hoops was at least partially to blame for goading me and harassing me. There were some court-ordered therapy sessions for me and community service and I had to switch schools. But Hoops…

Hoops’ right hind leg was broken in three places. His shank was essentially dust. They had to bring special unicorn doctors and surgeons up to Cloudsdale to fix him, and to this day he still walks with a limp. Still has a restraining order on me, too.

I could have broken his wings the same way I broke his leg – nothing would be worse for a pegasus than wings that didn’t work right. I could have really crippled him, for life. I could have killed him. A part of me knows that no matter how bad what I did was, it could have been worse. I tell that part of me to shut up. I know what I did wasn’t as bad as it could have been. It was still horrible. Still the worst thing I have ever done to anypony – worse than anything that anypony else I know has done to anypony else. But even worse than that happy fact? Worse than anything? I know I could do it again. Easily.

I don’t know why I’m angry, but I am, all the time. It’s always there, just beneath the surface. Everything makes me angry. The way my father takes forever to say or do anything. The way my mother is so hyperactive. My little brother’s bug collection. My boss. My co-workers. My friends. Everything.

Me.

I’m angry at myself, all the time. I’m angry at what I did. I’m angry that I could do it again. Sometimes I get so angry that I fly into Whitetail Wood and find this clearing and just fill it full of rocks and then spend hours, hours, just breaking the stones apart with my bare hooves, imagining that it helps, imagining that physical destruction somehow helps me and my anger issues. But it doesn’t.

There’s only one thing I know that calms me down. One thing that’s somehow able to wash away everything I feel just beneath the surface, douse out the fire and cool the embers and just expose what I think, what I hope, deep down inside, is the real me…

---

The virga – precipitation that would never actually reach the ground as it would evaporate too fast – was thick as Raindrops flew through the clouds that had gathered over the Everfree, three thousand feet in the air, wings spread wide and hooves spread out as she focused on the feelings in the sky around her: the pressure, the moisture, the wind speeds. Tingling sensations ran all along her feathers and to special sensory organs contained in the alulae of her wings and the near the frogs in her hooves, sensory organs that all pegasi possessed.

She liked what she was feeling through them as the virga ran across her coat, through her main, and soaked her feathers. Here, in the skies over the Everfree Forest, weather was allowed to run wild and free. Well, not so much allowed, as it insisted: the weather-magic of pegasus ponies was almost entirely negated by the strange, ancient magic that permeated the boughs of the forest and stretched high into its skies, higher than any pegasus pony could fly. However, the Everfree didn’t rob pegasi of their ability to sense weather and the atmosphere around them.

At length – after feeling her way through the storm and letting the virga render her completely soaked – Raindrops supposed that it was time to head back, and so started heading east, back to the edge of the Everfree Forest where Ponyville’s on-duty weather patrol had set up a cloud platform to keep an eye on the burgeoning Everfree storm. After several long minutes she dipped low, under the cumulus congesti that floated over the Everfree, and spotted the cloud platform where several pegasi were already waiting for her: Sunlight, Airheart, and Thunderlane, who had been part of this forecast patrol into the Everfree and had arrived back before her; Blue Skies, who had simply been on-duty and had organized the forecast team’s routes; Cloud Kicker, the second-in-command of Ponyville’s weather patrol and who was actually managing to look calm and collected for once. This was probably because of the last pegasus on the cloud platform: Rainbow Dash, manager of the Ponyville weather patrol and the self-proclaimed (but, Raindrops had to admit, probably correct) fastest flier in Equestria. The cyan-blue pegasus with a polychromatic mane and tail kept pacing around on the cloud, or taking to the air and flying a few loops and circles around it, or landing on it with a poomf and just lying in place, staring into the Everfree.

Raindrops, for her part, did her best to ignore her boss’ antics as she alighed on the cloud platform and shook herself dry (or at least moderately less wet), pleased that at least she was here – it was far too common an occurrence for the weather manager to flake out or put off jobs like this. A part of Raindrops wondered exactly what had dragged the Rainbow Dash from her cloud-home this morning, as it certainly wasn’t the storm building over the Everfree Forest. However, Raindrops decided that whatever it was, she liked it, as it had meant that her boss couldn’t think up an excuse to fly off when Raindrops and Blue Skies had glided on up to her, resting in the branches of an apple tree, and explained the situation with the Everfree storm.

Hence, the forecast ponies that Rainbow Dash had sent in – brave pegasi who would travel into the air over the Everfree and attempt to ascertain the nature of gathering storms, the threat they posed to Ponyville’s weather, and, in sum, how much work everypony was about to have for the next several hours.

“Finally,” Rainbow Dash said as Raindrops finished shaking herself off. “We’ve only been waiting here forever, Dropsy.”

Any other day, Raindrops would have, at the very least, shot a lethal death-glare Dash’s direction for calling her ‘Dropsy’ – a nickname she made no secret about hating. Currently, however, the jasmine-coated pegasus was soaked to the bone with rainwater, which for Raindrops translated into being basically in a good mood, good enough that all she did was flutter her wings a few times, sending some water droplets Rainbow Dash’s way.

The weather manager of Ponyville didn’t seem to notice, or care. “So?” Rainbow Dash asked, scuffing a hoof on the cloud. “Was it worth waking me up for this? I was having a great nap, you know.”

The four forecast ponies looked between each other, before Sunlight, a white stallion with a blond mane, slowly shook his head. “Well, that depends. The storm is large. Near as I can tell it stretches from one end of the Everfree to the other. And the virga is thick.

“…but…?” Rainbow Dash asked, leaning in.

“Well, it’s not really all that much of a storm,” Airheart said, looking back at it. “I mean, it’s huge, but only in the area it’s covering. Otherwise there isn’t really thunder or lightning or even much strong winds. Just incoming praecipitatio, and not even hard.” Praecipitatio was the technical term for any kind of precipitation that actually reached the ground, as opposed to virga; in this case, it was referring to what unicorns and earth ponies would simply call ‘rain.’

“Barely worth calling cumulus congesti,” Thunderlane added, referring to the most basic kind of raincloud: tall, dark, bursting with water, but easy to make and direct and rarely having any kind of nasty surprises in the form of lightning or ice. “If we were making those for praecipitatio, you’d probably chew us out and bust us down to patrolling the Whitetail Wood.”

Rainbow Dash leaned back, sitting on her haunches with one hoof to her mouth as she considered, taking a map and planner from Cloud Kicker as she did and looking over the weather schedule for the next month.

Inwardly, Raindrops sighed as she settled down onto her stomach and turned her attention to her two front hooves. From the sound of things, she was about to have a long, boring day on the job playing what amounted to sky-janitor. The Everfree ‘storm’ would try to roll over Ponyville in the next few hours, and she, along with the rest of the on-duty weather patrol, would be stationed at the edges of the Everfree and basically spend their time bucking clouds away once they crossed out of the forest’s airspace. Wait, buck, wait, buck, wait, buck…it would be monotonous, boring, soul-draining, and that was saying something since Raindrops loved the rain, as exemplified by her cutie mark of three falling water droplets. Still, she supposed not every storm could be laden with cumulonimbi.

“Okay,” Rainbow Dash said after a moment. “Show of hooves: who wants to just let this storm do its thing?”

Raindrops looked up at that, blinking several times and ears perked up. Everypony else seemed surprised as well. “Huh?” Blue Skies asked.

“Well, look,” Rainbow Dash said, turning the weather schedule for the next month around. “We were planning on doing a big storm next week, right? Why don’t we just let this storm do its thing and then have next week’s storm be smaller? I don’t think it’s worth the effort of breaking this one up.”

“I dunno, boss,” Sunlight said, fidgeting. “A lot of ponies might have had plans today.”

“Yeah, and some of those ponies were named Rainbow Dash,” the weather patrol leader countered. “I dunno about you guys, but I don’t want to spend the next five or six hours hovering and bucking clouds that aren’t going to do anything but get a few ponies a little wet.”

“Plus it’ll make things easier down the line,” Cloud Kicker observed. “And the entire reason we have the storm scheduled next week is because the Farmer’s Union asked for more rain since the last few weeks have been too hot. Next Tuesday was the only day we could get the pony power to build up a storm that was big enough, but if we just let this thing roll over…”

“This isn’t just so that you can sleep the day away, is it?” Thunderlane asked Rainbow Dash.

She shook her head. “I’d never leave Ponyville hangin’!” she declared, though Raindrops knew from experience that this was not entirely true. “Look, like I said, show of hooves. It’s a vote, okay? Who wants to spend their day bucking away at some clouds just ‘cause a little praecipitatio that we need anyway is showing up early?” Sunlight, Thunderlane, and Blue Skies all raised their hooves. “Okay,” Rainbow Dash added, “and the ponies who actually want to do something with their day?”

She, Cloud Kicker, and Airheart raised their own hooves. Sunlight looked to Airheart like she was some kind of traitor, though the pink mare’s only response was a bright grin. “Hey, I have a date tonight,” she said.

“Three against three?” Blue Skies asked, then looked to Raindrops. “Hey, you didn’t vote.”

“Yeah, no abstaining,” Rainbow Dash added. “’Specially not since we’ve got a tie otherwise.”

Raindrops considered for a few moments, before standing on the cloud and grinning brightly, something which startled everypony else – Raindrops was not the most emotive of ponies normally, or at least didn’t show positive emotion much. “A little rain never hurt anypony,” she observed.

Thunderlane rolled his eyes. “Yeah, big surprise; it’d rain every day if you were in charge.”

Raindrops opened her mouth to object, then thought a moment before closing it and nodding fervently. The three water droplets on her flank weren’t for nothing, after all. A cutie mark wasn’t simply what you were good at, it was what made a pony happy. And Raindrops loved the rain. The smell of it, the feel of it running through her coat and along her primaries, the weight of it in her mane, the sound it made – oh the sounds it made as is struck wood or glass or stone or leaves. Running up in puddles, turning boring dirt into wet muck…

And this. This was a special treat – an uncontrolled storm. A rain shower that nopony was going to try and direct or contain or shape. It was simply going to run its course, go where it willed, wet what it wanted…maybe one rain shower in a decade was allowed such freedom. And Raindrops intended to enjoy every moment of it.

---

My little pony, My little pony
Ahh ahh ahh ahhh...
My little pony
Friendship never meant that much to me
My little pony
But you're all here and now I can see
Stormy weather; Lots to share
A musical bond; With love and care
Teaching laughter; It's an easy feat,
And magic makes it all complete!
You have my little ponies
How'd I ever make so many true friends?

---

As Raindrops flew home a few hours later, after having finished up the rest of her normal patrol shift, she kept glancing behind her, looking at the Everfree storm to make sure that it was still there, still coming. And it was, drifting east from the Everfree Forest and towards Ponyville in a slow, inexorable way. It wouldn’t be long now – fifteen minutes at most, and then the first drops of rain would begin to fall. Already, she could feel the air around her wings and hooves moistening, clamming up as if in anticipation as the storm pushed the air ahead of it forward, heralding its arrival.

She was – she was giddy with anticipation. There was absolutely nothing that could ruin her good mood right now, not with a wild, free rainstorm on its way. Some things could come close, though. Like, for example, the sight of her little brother, Snails, sitting on the roof of her home.

Raindrops blinked a few times as she landed on thatched roof herself, as quietly as possible behind him – Snails seemed to be focusing intensely on something. Leaning to the side slightly to get a better look, she saw that he was looking into an glass jar, the cover of which he had poked holes into. Inside the jar was a large insect, though one Raindrops recognized quickly as a harmless cicada. Snails’ special talent, which he had earned last year, seemed to relate to what Raindrops could only term as ‘creepy crawlies’ – he was certainly always interested in them, digging up larvae and examining them, spending hours staring at spiders spinning webs, drawing comparative pictures of the different patterns on the shells of snails, and so on.

Of course, if he wanted to study a captured cicada, there were better places to do it than the roof, especially seeing as he didn’t have wings the way Raindrops or their parents did. There was a guard rail surrounding the roof, but that didn’t change that it was dangerous.

“Hi, sis,” Snails said after a few seconds. Raindrops wasn’t surprised that her had heard her – he was fairly perceptive, and Raindrops was, to put it mildly, heavy-hooved. He looked back at her, a smile on his face. “Look at what I found!”

Raindrops trotted along the roof to join her brother, looking in at the cicada. The insect inside was crawling around, looking for a way out, but its legs couldn’t find any purchase on the smooth glass interior of the jar. Snails had a small bug collection in his room of the house – a bug collection that was, fortunately or unfortunately, subsidized by their mother, Shutterbug, a photographer by profession but also an amateur entomologist who had always encouraged Snails’ love of all things creepy and crawly. The bugs were all kept alive and well-fed, and Snails had a tendency to release them after about a week or two, anyway, in order to make room for new bugs.

“You gonna keep it?” she asked.

Snails considered his sister’s question for a long while, before shaking his head. Even as he did, he took the jar in his mouth and opened it, turning it over and pouring out the cicada. It landed on its back, but quickly righted itself, turned over, and flew off, its gossamer wings buzzing rapidly as it did so.

Raindrops and Snails watched it go, before she turned back to her little brother. “Okay, what’s wrong?” she asked.

Snails sat up, not immediately answering as he scuffed a hoof on the thatch roof beneath him. “Today in school Silver Spoon called me dumb,” he said at length.

Raindrops scowled. Her good mood wasn’t gone, now, but it was put on hold at that. “What did you do?”

“I called her dumb too.”

Raindrops suppressed the urge to compliment her brother on that. “You…should have gone to get your teacher, if she was bothering you,” she said. She felt like she was almost betraying her own foalhood when she said that – but then again, the fact that she had not been one to do that had caused her no end of grief back in Cloudsdale.

Snails looked dejected. “Silver Spoon said that she wasn’t dumb because she didn’t have a sister who hit her in the head and made her dumb – ”

“What?” Raindrops demanded, wings flaring. Good mood – gone now. Snails looked up at Raindrops’ exclamation. The pegasus retained enough presence of mind to not be focusing her glare on her little brother – instead, she was looking around Ponyville, trying to remember if she knew where Silver Spoon lived. “I can’t believe that she’d…that…she’s a…I’ve never hit you!”

Raindrops had anger problems. She knew she had anger problems. She was also unusually strong for a pegasus – indeed, she was unusually strong by earth pony standards as well. These two in combination had not always ended well in the past. More than one random stone, or innocent tree, or other harmless, inanimate object, had broken under one of her hooves as she tried to physically work out her anger on something. And she hadn’t always been the best at keeping it in private, in the gym or Whitetail Wood, where nopony would see her rage.

But she had only once struck a pony in anger, and that was years ago, back in Cloudsdale, when the pony in question had decided to spend a day tormenting her about her unusually slow, clumsy flying abilities – and to this day walked with a limp in his right hind leg.

Raindrops hated herself for that. She always would. In an instant she had gone from being a clumsy flier in school with a few acquaintances – not even real friends – to being pegasus non grata, to be avoided at all costs lest she flip out again and cripple somepony again. Even switching schools hadn’t helped at all; her reputation had followed her. Only after Snails had been born – a unicorn, not a pegasus, and so incapable of living in Cloudsdale – and her family had moved to Ponyville, had she at last finally escaped what she had done.

Snails was watching Raindrops closely. “I told Silver Spoon that,” he said, “but she just said that you hit me in the head so hard that I don’t remember, then I said that all you’ve ever given me was noogies, and she said that that was how I got brain-damaged.”

Raindrops’ right eye twitched, and she had to struggle to remind herself that Silver Spoon was a little, spoiled rotten filly who, while probably deserving of her anger, did not deserve to have Raindrops burst in on her home and shout at her. “You are not brain damaged,” she insisted.

“I am dumb, though…”

“You’re…you take a little longer to figure things out,” Raindrops said. “That doesn’t make you dumb. A dumb pony wouldn’t know about thoraxes and…um, elly-tones…”

“Elytron,” Snails said. “Um…elytra for more than one…” He smiled a little as he said that, though it dropped quickly. “But that doesn’t mean I’m not dumb…nopony cares about bugs other than mom and Snips, and mom just likes to take pictures of them, and Snips just likes to look at them…”

Raindrops stared at her little brother. “You’re not dumb,” she insisted. “I promise you, Snails. You’re not. Silver Spoon is just trying to make you feel bad.”

“Why?”

“Because she’s a b…not a very nice pony,” Raindrops responded, catching herself before she could say a bad word around her foal-aged brother. “You see things a little differently, take a little longer, but that does not make you dumb. Okay?”

Snails considered Raindrops’ encouragement for several moments before nodding slowly. Even as he did, Raindrops’ ears twitched, as she heard the first drops of praecipitatio – rain, in this case – begin to fall. On particular drop, a fairly large one, landed right on her snout, splashing her eyes a little. She smiled widely, looking to Snails. “It’s gonna rain,” she told him. “You better get back inside.”

Snails nodded, not asking if Raindrops would be coming in as well – she never came in during the rain. Before heading downstairs through the trap door built into their home’s roof, though, he took a few steps forward and nuzzled Raindrops. “Thanks, sis,” he said.

Raindrops couldn’t help but smile, as she used a hoof to squeeze him close. “No problem,” she assured him.

---

Raindrops had been hoping to grab a quick bite to eat before the rain began, but her talk with Snails had taken up too much time. Not that she regretted it in the slightest, and besides, that would just make dinner, when she finally got around to it, all the more satisfying.

She flew from her house, and from the center of Ponyville, for that matter, towards the fields that surrounded the (admittedly large) farming community. At a guess, when she at last settled down, on a rock in the middle of a wheat field, she was probably on the property of Sweet Apple Acres. The Apples made their fortune with their namesake product, of course, but they were wealthy enough, and savvy enough, to know better than to rely on a single crop. Then again, they were also wealthy enough to afford to move any rocks, no matter how big, that sat in the middle of their fields, so she supposed that the rock she had alighted upon was probably proof that this wasn’t an Apple family field.

It didn’t much matter to Raindrops, though. It was quiet, it was out of the way, and there was nopony around to watch as she spread her wings wide, staring up at the sky as the thick, gray cumulus congesti began to float overhead in earnest, and burst open.

One drop, then two. Three. Four. For a moment, Raindrops deluded herself into thinking that she could count all the drops that would fall on her – but then five and six and seven all touched down at nearly the same time, and eight, or maybe nine, splashed right into her eye, distracting her for a moment, and she lost count as the cumulus congesti simply burst open.

Raindrops allowed herself a full, bright smile as the rain came falling down onto her, cupping her wings so that rain would soak her thoroughly. Even as most of the drops of water became lost in the general storm, she could feel a few trickling down her primaries, down the length of her wings, getting under her feathers. Her wings were angled in such a way that soon streams of water were flowing along them, getting under all her feathers before finally leaving her wings, flowing down her barrel and her flanks before joining in a sluice that was running down the rock.

The rain flowed across her face, too, down along her snout and under her eyes, across her scalp and through her mane, or down under her jaw and along her throat and chest as she continued to stare up and just watch the water fall all around her. Her ears were perked, as she listened to the white noise all around her, the rain catching on sheaves of wheat, or hitting the dirt below, or the rock underneath her, or just her.

She stood slowly, beating her wings a few times, sending the water off of them and in every direction, only to cup her wings and get them as soaked as possible, just to repeat the process again, and then a third time. On the fourth try, she instead angled her wings over her so that the rain would flow from her extended primaries down to her alulae, and then off of them and, in small but constant streams, into her open, waiting mouth.

It probably looked utterly ridiculous, if anypony had seen her, and she was grateful that nopony could – she felt no need to have to explain anything she chose to do right now to somepony. The rain flowing across her feathers and her coat, soaking her skin concealed beneath both, felt like it was stripping away everything – her exasperation at her boss, her desire to find Silver Spoon and teach her a lesson in manners. Her concern for her brother was washed away, too, along with everything else. The rain didn’t distinguish between her loves and hates, her good side and bad sides. The runoff that flowed from her and onto the rock, gathering in puddles and soaking into the earth underneath Raindrops, was made from equal parts water, hopes, and fears. At length, it even took away the heat in her chest, at the back of her throat and the base of her skull, the tension in her muscles, always pulled taut, always ready to snap and spring and shout and shove and hurt…

…the rain washed over her, and soon all that was left was just her. Just Raindrops, a young pegasus mare staring at the sky in wonder. Water could fall, would fall, inevitably found its way to the ground and the muck and the oceans…but it could rise, too. It could soar through the sky…

She laughed. The laugh came from nowhere and returned just as quickly, but the smile that it brought with it remained. She shook her mane, sending water droplets flying everywhere, and looked to the rock beneath her. It’s top had a kind of bowl in it, a hollow where rain water was gathering. Raindrops put her hoof in it, swirled the water around, withdrew, then stomped, sending the water flying.

She laughed again. She pranced in place, hooves landing on rock with no intention of breaking it, instead simply to hear the sound of her wet hooves striking wet stone, simply to see the water flow and splash as she did so.

At length, she beat her wings, this time taking to the air. The rain water that was soaking her through didn’t seem to weigh her down at all as she flew. If anything, she felt lighter when soaked. Everything that had been weighing her down had flowed off of her and run into the earth. Sure, the water should have made her heavier, but compared to the burdens she normally carried…

“All my life had lacked elation
“Nothing but exacerbation
“Of my temper and frustration
“‘Til I could just buck ‘em all,”

“And I tried to be resilient,
“Buckle down, stand up, and bear it,
“But it tore apart my spirit,
“Left me trapped within a squall.”

The song came from the same place as her laugh, but it stuck around longer. Music was something that came naturally to many ponies at many points in their lives, but it had rarely visited Raindrops. Still, she was a pony, at the end of the day – and if now was the right time for music, she was going to indulge it.

“And I tried to keep it all in
“Never show the blazing rage I was in
“If I hurt somepony when I didn’t mean to,
“I didn’t know what I was gonna do,”

“Then the rain would come pouring down
“And wash away any lingering frown
“Douse the fire in my heart that was tearing me apart
“And it gave me the words to this song:”

Raindrops soared through the sky, twisting, turning, sending rain in every direction as she flew. She laughed between verses as she flew upside down beneath the cumulus congesti, tapping her hooves against it. This would send water flowing out in great streams that soaked her thoroughly, which was exactly what she was hoping for.

She didn’t just fly, though. As she soared, she spotted puddles, and would let herself fall from the sky and into them, sending water everywhere. Completely unaware of the world around her, Raindrops would roll over in the puddles, wings and legs flailing as she soaked herself completely. She would be covered in mud within moments, of course, but then she would take to the sky again, crash through some clouds and soak herself, getting the mud off of her and sending it back to the earth.

It was glorious.

“Though I’ve bungled all my bangles,
“Left my life twisted and mangled,
“The rain helps me to untangle
“All the things that trouble me!”

“Sure my temper’s always rising,
“Sure they find me terrifying,
“But the rain’s reenergizing
“Lifts me up and sets me free!”

“Hahahahaha!” Raindrops cried out in sheer jubilation as the song finished, performing an aileron roll as she soared through the praecipitatio-laden sky. She didn’t care that she was a slow flier; at the moment, it felt like she was going a million miles an hour. Up, down, left, right, forward and backwards, stomping in mud puddles, cleaning herself in clouds, just to fall back down and repeat the process over and over again.

What the hay, she thought. Encore.

“Though I’ve bungled all my bangles,
“Left my life twisted and mangled,
“The rain helps me to untangle
“All the things that trouble me!”

“Sure my temper’s always rising,
“Sure they find me terrifying,
“But the rain’s reenergizing
“Lifts me up and…”

Her song drifted off when she saw it: the puddle, the puddle to end all puddles. The ultimate puddle, which even from her height of five hundred feet, she could tell was perfect, the perfect blend of mud and water, the perfect depth, a nice grassy bottom…it looked like it was in somepony’s backyard, but Raindrops was sure that they wouldn’t mind if she went crashing down for a quick soak. She tucked her wings against her barrel and let herself fall to the ground.

Four hundred feet…three hundred feet…the puddle was so enticing…two hundred feet…it was six inches deep…one hundred feet, fifty…

Splash. Raindrops landed perfectly, on all four hooves, sending rain flying up in all directions, but she didn’t remain that way for long as she let herself fall onto her side, wings flapping as she splashed around in this puddle, mud soaking her, covering her in grit, or trying to, but water in the puddle would soak her through just was quickly. She covered herself in it, dunked her head in the puddle and swished her mane about, did the same with her tail, stood, and simply began prancing in place.

I love rain, she thought. I love rain, I love rain, I love rain!

"I love rain!"

“What are you doing?”

Raindrops froze at the voice. Glancing, she suddenly realized that she recognized this back yard – this house – and the blue-coated, silver-maned unicorn pony, levitating a cup of coffee in front her mouth, that the garden belonged to.

Raindrops stared at Trixie Lulamoon.

Trixie stared back, one eyebrow raised.

----

...you know what? I don't even care. It's raining. I'm soaked to the bone. I'm covered in mud. And I couldn't be happier right now. So I don't even care that Trixie just caught me splashing around like a little filly.

I've seen her drunk. So that probably makes us even. And besides which - I really do think that, when I'm like this, when the rain has soaked through my coat and my feathers and down into my skin, and my bones, and my heart, that it leaves behind nothing but the real me.

And how could I not want my friends to see that?