• ...
9
 23
 1,967

Match Made

"So what do you do?"

Marc looks up and sees a young woman sitting across from him with a blank expression on her face. "I'm sorry?" he responded.

"What do you do?" she asked again.

"Oh, uh, I kinda run this music blog."

"Uh huh, where are you from?"

"Right here, in Pennsylvania."

The woman pulls out a tablet and taps it at a brisk pace without another word.

"So......what's your name?" Marc asks awkwardly.

"Bon Bon." she says flatly, still staring down at the tablet.

"What do you do?"

"I don't like to talk about work."

"Look, I hate these things too. You know, I feel like everyone in the room can tell that we're on a first date."

"No one's paying attention." she shrugs. "So, if you could be any animal, what animal would you be?"

"This.....this isn't going very well, is it?"

"Yeah, no, this is over." Bon Bon nodded. "You can go. Good luck out there."

Surrounded by awkward silence, Marc grabs his things and leaves the cafe in confusion.


"Well, it's official, Sunset." Marc sighs, walking into his apartment. "I'm gonna die alone."

"What?" Sunset yawns, rocking herself off the living room couch. "Don't say that."

"Sunny, I've looked and I've flirted with half of the women in Pennsylvania, and I'm honestly starting to think that my soul mate just doesn't exist. You know, she's like a myth, like Bigfoot!"

"Dude, she exists, she's out there." Sunset reassures. "Just like Bigfoot."

"Ugh, I need cider."

"You're out of cider. Look, Marc, you just need to broaden your horizons. Stop meeting weird randos on the street and start meeting them online."

"Online?" Marc scoffs. "Online dating?"

"Yeah."

"No. Look, I don't want some algorithm telling me who to hook up with, alright? I just wanna meet a cute girl, you know, with a pink streak in her hair, a cool tattoo and a pair of nice......big.........glasses. And she has to be a Rolling Toms fan."

"Oddly specific, but there are 413 eligible women that are Rolling Toms fans within a 2 mile radius of this apartment." Sunset states, staring at her phone.

"Wait, really, what's that?"

"Make-A-Match, dude. Everyone's on it."

"Why are you on it?"

"I'm not on it, you are." she snickers. "I made you a profile."

"What, when?"

"Last night when I drank all your cider."

"Sunset!"

"Come on, man, look at ALL of these women. "

"Alright, fine, I'll do it." Marc grunts. "But seriously, stop drinking all my cider."

"No promises. I can't afford it, you can, so I drink it."


"At Make-A-Match, there's someone out there for everyone." the CEO states on an internet video Marc and Sunset are watching. "Sign up today, and we'll find your 100% perfect match guaranteed. Welcome to love. Welcome to Make-A-Match."

FIND YOUR PERFECT MATCH.

The icon that appeared on Marc's phone said.

Sunset gives him a smug grin as he taps the screen.

SEARCHING FOR MATCH.

It read on a pixelated heart pulsing around the screen. After a brief moment of loading-

MATCH FOUND:

TWILIGHT
100% MATCH

"Twilight?" Marc utters.

"I've met her, she's smart, she likes hanging out..."

"I mean, she's cute, but this is my 100% match? I don't see a cool tattoo anywhere-"

DING!!!

"Oh, dude, she winked you." Sunset chuckles.

"She what?"

"She checked you out and she likes what she sees. Just ask her out already."

"T-This is just too weird. I can't do it, I'm out, no."

"Marc, you are going on a date with this girl if I have to pump you full of benzodiazepine and drag you there myself."

"Fine, but only because I am desperately lonely."

"Now that's the spirit!"


Later that night, Marc goes down to the local bar in search of his "perfect match". There, he spots a nerdy woman with a pair of thick glasses at a table alone staring at the television.

"Uh, Twilight?" he waves as he approaches her.

"Oh, you must be Marc, hi." she greets warmly. "I got us two daiquiris, is that okay?"

As he shakes her hand, Marc notices the long pink streak in her hair all the way down her ponytail. "Yeah, uh, actually, that's my favorite drink." Marc says in astonishment.

"Mine, too." she giggles.

"I like your glasses, by the way."

"Oh, thanks. I wear a few with different colors once in a while. Some of them mix well with Deena."

"Deena?"

Twilight rolls up her sleeve to reveal an impressively detailed tattoo of a DNA strand, to Marc's shock. The evening goes on smoothly as the two share their love of music.

"Are you familiar with a guy named Chris Cross?" Marc asked.

"Uh, a.k.a. my childhood crush from age 14 til now." Twilight laughs.

"You're kidding!"

"Nope, I saw him in his last concert here years ago, I basically went through puberty on the spot."

"Are you being serious, cuz I was literally at that same show."

"No way."

"Yes way, the way they did that double encore-"

"Where they closed it off with-"

"Sailing!" they said simultaneously.

"Heh, you know I have been told that I bear a striking resemblance to Chris Cross." Marc chuckles.

"I mean, I wouldn't say 'striking'." Twilight ponders. "But I can definitely see it."

Suddenly, the catchy tune catches the two off guard.

"Sailing?" Marc gasped . "Come on, how is this happening right now?"

"Well......I did put it on the jukebox like five minutes ago, so..."

"Oh. I see."

Their friendly smiles soon fade away as they slowly lean into a deep, passionate kiss.

Two months later...

"Well, it's official, Sunny." Marc laughs, strolling into the apartment. "She's the one."

"Wait, what?" Sunset utters. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about Twilight. She's.......dude, she's.....amazing! I'm gonna give her a ring. Not an engagement ring, but like a really nice ring."

"..."

"..."

"Okay, uh, have a seat, Casanova." she sighs, scooting over as Marc plops down beside her. "How long have you seen her? A month, maybe two?"

"Yeah, but.....I feel like I've known her my whole life."

"Sure, but if you wanna make it to three, maybe you should cool your jets."

"Alright, I get it, I understand, but we're 100% compatible. The app said so!"

"Forget what the app said."

"Come on, you're the one who set me up on the whole thing. Thought you'd be stoked for me."

"I am, I am, it's just.......I don't wanna see you get hurt."

"Alright, so.....you're saying just slow things down?"

"Yes." Sunset nods.

"Play it cool."

"My man."

"Okay."

"Good."

Later....

"I love you." Marc blurts out.

"W-What?" Twilight says.

"Twi, these last two months have been amazing and I-I just keep thinking about spending the rest of my life with you. You're my soul mate, Twilight."

Twilight hangs her head, giving Marc no eye contact as she clears her throat. "A-Are you sure?" she mutters.

"Are you not sure?"

"L-Look, it's not you, I just.....I don't have time for anything serious right now."

"But.....we've spent every single night at your place since we met."

"And it's been great, it's just my residency interviews are coming up, so...."

"So..."

"So....maybe you should go."

"Uh, o......o-okay. This is, uh, our first big fight." he chuckles sheepishly. "It's quite a milestone, huh?"

"Marc, just stop." Twilight groans.

"Look, someday, we're gonna look back on this and laugh."

"Marc!"

"Come on, we can make this work. If you wanna go slow, we'll go slow."

"I'm serious, goodbye!"

Confused, heartbroken with no other options, Marc heads for the door only to pause with a stern gaze. "No." he grunts. "No, I'm not gonna just walk away, I can't. Look, I know that you're scared, I'm scared too. But you and I.......we're made for each other."

"I can't do this." Twilight says, pulling out her phone.

"This is something that we'll tell our grandchil-"

Suddenly, two strong men in all black outfits burst through the door and restrain him as Twilight watches.

"Ow!" Marc yelled. "Whoa, hey, what are you guys-"

His cries are silenced as a small burlap sack is thrown over his head.

"I got his legs, let's move!" one of the mysterious men says. "Tech Support to HQ, Romeo is in the bag! Moving to extraction point."

As the sound of a truck draws near, Marc frantically gathers all his strength to break his legs free and kicks Man #1 back long enough for him to pull the sack off and ducks as he returns with a punch, knocking out Man #2. Marc punches Man #1 down, stunning him before rushing back to the apartment.

Moments later...

"Sunset?" Marc pants. "Sunset, where are you?!"

"Marc?" she sighs.

"Sunny, I'm freaking out here."

"W-What's going on?"

"T-They tried to kidnap me! I-I was at Twilight's place, and-"

"Wait, what's going on with Twilight?"

"I-I don't know, she dumped me and then these guys-"

"She dumped you?" Sunset groans. "I told you to play it cool."

"Yeah, I-I know, I just-"

"It's okay, come here." Sunset coos, pulling a shaken Marc into a tight bro hug.

"I love her, Sunny." he sighs. "What am I gonna do?"

Soon, Sunset points a taser-like gadget into Marc's neck, zapping him unconscious and dropping him.

"Package is secure." she states.