• Published 8th Dec 2019
  • 480 Views, 11 Comments

Parallel - Octave Storm



Parallel lines are lines in a plane which do not meet; that is, two lines in a plane that do not intersect or touch each other at any point, completely in sync but never touching.

  • ...
 11
 480

Chapter 5

Lemon swung her feet absentmindedly, losing herself to the resounding bass from her headphones. Music was her drug, luring her in with sweet promises and colors, subduing her until she never wanted to leave. Classes had ended rather early today and the sun was bright and shining. It was pleasantly cool with a little breeze and the afternoon would be wasted cooped up at home. There was the park, of course, with its calm but the idea of checking out the music store she had spotted at the mall the other day was also tempting. Either that or she could choose to roam the city until she knew it like the back of her hand, like her playground. Maybe there would a nice cafe somewhere that she could spend her afternoons at, doing her own thing?

I sound just like Limo, she thought to herself with a wry smile. It wasn't that it was a bad thing, it was a mere observation. She checked the time and grinned to herself before getting off the bus at the next stop, swinging herself around the pole.

She was lost in the music, her hands miming a guitar as she walked, although danced would be the closest word. She didn’t need to look where she was going, able to recall where the music shop was from her visit last weekend. Lime was always jealous of her spatial memory that, despite his special interest in mapping, still held an edge over his. With her body and her mind completely focused on the song, she could almost forget where she was. It could have been a cool afternoon over by the cafe and Lemon could have been jamming out with her friends. The smiles on their faces and how they felt the music like she did, just without the colors, that was enough for-

Lemon grunted in surprised as she bumped into someone. She winced as her eyes tried to focus with the bright mall lights slicing their way into her vision. It took her a few moments to register who it was. With a slight jerk of their head, a smile, and a thumbs-up, the person continued on their way, walking to their own tunes that blasted from their headphones. “Wait!” Lemon called out, finally finding her words.

They stopped and turned, staring at Lemon expectantly.

“What’re you listening to?” Lemon signed as she spoke, a nervous habit that often made its appearance when the girl was startled but forced herself to speak anyway. As a kid, she had been taught to sign as she spoke whenever she could since her stilted mumbling was a struggle for nearly anyone to understand. She had kept it up for a while, liking that it gave her something to do with her hands rather than to just dangle them awkwardly by her side.

Their eyes lit up and they pulled their headphones off, offering them. Lemon grinned and they traded. The other person’s music wasn’t exactly Lemon’s preferred style but it was pretty cool, something definitely worth rocking out to. She didn't notice how easily they understood each other without words, accustomed to doing the same with her siblings.

Not bad, they signed with a small smile, before returning Lemon’s beloved headphones.

Lemon’s sign language was rusty since she hadn’t used it in a long time and only signed basic words when she freaked out. “Dubstep’s pretty cool too,” she commented, signing the words she knew.

Surprised you sign. I’m V-I-N-Y-L Scratch.

Lemon Zest.

Vinyl grinned and fumbled with their things for a moment before pulling out their phone. They handed it to Lemon, open to the contacts page. Even without words, the meaning was clear. The two swapped numbers and Lemon’s phone lit up with a message almost immediately.

hey (: not every day you find someone else so much like you haha

"You think?" Lemon replied, laughing. Maybe why Lemon didn't question the signing and texting was because she herself didn't talk much before. Now she was more outgoing but back then? Nah. "This is going to be a weird question but I can't tell if you're male or female or neither-" Her phone vibrated, cutting her off.

female enough. cool with she or they or yknow whatever. wanna head to the music store?

Lemon grinned and that was all they needed.


Lemon and Vinyl sat in comfortable silence, or rather the lack of it, on a bench at the park. The sun was setting but Lemon didn't want to go home just yet. Besides, not like she had any homework she couldn't finish quickly. It had been an afternoon of few words but much fun. It was uncanny, how they both preferred not to speak and how they were pretty much the same about their music, lost in the beat.

have to go soon, promised tavi i'd go see her perform. see you around?

"Yeah, I should go anyway." Lemon stared out distantly. It was like she had some sort of connection with this other girl but she couldn't place what it was or how she felt about it. She smiled for a moment at Vinyl before she got up and began walking to the bus stop, her hands in her pockets.

Vinyl was practically a stranger but something about her felt so familiar. Lemon couldn't help but want to see her again, maybe spend another afternoon just chilling out at the music store. All Lemon knew about her was that she went to Canterlot High, another school in the area but not quite at the city, and had a friend named Tavi who was a musician. That would have to be enough for now.

The bus ride back was slow as the girl basked in the setting sun, trying to comprehend what had gone on just now. She changed her song to the dubstep that Vinyl had recommended and watched as the dark blues swirled around, tiny specks of silver illuminating them just like a starry night sky. She smiled to herself, peaceful against the curiosity that burned inside.

The bus ride back to town was a short one but time seemed to pass slowly, creeping by. Octavia had taken a cab home and Vinyl sat by herself on the bus, watching the indigo and navy sky blend into itself. What she wouldn't give to have the sleepy girl curled up against her, her head resting on Vinyl's shoulder as the bus carried them back to town. One day she would have that, even if it wasn't the way she wished it would be. Her mind drifted over to the afternoon, remembering Lemon's bright spark that followed her around everywhere she went and her quiet understanding buried under her loud music, almost like something pent up against brick walls of melodies and bass. Vinyl shuffled her playlist and smiled slightly, watching the colors melt and fade.


"Lemon Zest! Where were you?" Her father's voice rang out once she reached home. "I expect you to be accountable for yourself and that means telling me where you are at all times."

"Sorry, Dad," Lemon mumbled, shuffling her feet as she stood awkwardly in the doorway. Her headphones hung around her neck, almost drooping. Her cheerful presence had melted away in an instant and all that was left was this.

"What was that?"

"You never expected me to keep you posted previously, I could go anywhere I liked back at home," Lemon cut in, her voice raised such that her words were clear.

"Lemon, that's not the same as it is here, at home. Be more careful from now on." Lemon's father stepped aside to let her pass, standing next to his wife who stood quietly by him. His words were deliberate but the tone now soft. He hated to yell.

"Citron, you can't expect them to do that. They're teenagers and you're being too harsh on her. You know this isn't easy," she whispered to him, the lines on her face etched deep with worry.

Citron sighed and mussed up his hair a little. "I worry about her, a big city isn't the same as a small town. She could have gotten kidnapped, or lost. It's past sundown and I got so-" His hair stuck up weird and he looked as if he had been running on nothing but pure caffeine for the last 48 hours.

"Be kinder to her, alright? It's not easy for any of the kids. As much as I hate to say this, we can't shelter them forever."

"Anything for you, princess."

Lemon rounded the corner as her parents finished speaking and walked to her room. It wasn't being fair on her parents, she should have told them that she would be out. They had always meant well for her and her father was always so paranoid as it was, she didn't want to make things worse.

She put her things down in her room gently before heading to her brother's room, knocking gently on the door before opening it. When she had worries on her mind, her brother always knew what to do. Lime sat on his bed with his guitar, humming a tune.

"Oh hey, kid. I was practicing just now, wanna have a go?"

"Have my own," Lemon replied, sitting down on the bed next to him and slumping back. She stared at the ceiling for a while. "I feel bad for Dad, I know he doesn't mean to snap at me. Why do I have to have all these problems? If I were a normal kid, he could just work and not worry about me all the time."

"It's not your fault, it's never been." A pause. "The next time you go and wander around, bring me with you. I want to map out the mall and the park without checking. Gonna do exact distances and all. Even if you were a "normal kid"," he said in air quotes, "Pa would still worry, that's what he does."

"We can make special trips for that, go when it's less crowded," Lemon muttered flatly, Vinyl still on her mind.

Lime frowned. He knew his sister well enough that he could tell when something was wrong. "Anything happen today?"

"I met someone, they're nice... I guess? They just give me this weird feeling that's grey enough that I can't figure out what it is." The ceiling, Lemon concluded, was a plain old ceiling and quite boring. She should put up glow in the dark stars, Lime always loved those.

"I'll be here, alright?"

"Hm."

Lime turned his attention back to his guitar, playing the notes individually. It had been so long since the two jammed together but he just sank into the music, playing a song that they both knew.


hope i'm not disturbing you but my school's got this epic party next week, wanna go? i'll smuggle you in :P also i'm djing !!

cant, sorry

the noise and the people, right? it's ok but if you change your mind... won't force you to mingle, you can listen to your own jam

ill see, gonna do stuff now tho so goodnight

Lemon put her phone down, ignoring the screen that lit up as she turned to her laptop, opening up FL Barn. It was a school night and she usually tried to avoid doing this but she had a wicked idea for a track. Seeing Vinyl and talking with Lime had given her the colors she needed to create something truly unique.

She was in her element, ignoring the numbers at the bottom left of her screen as time marched on. It wasn't perfect and she wasn't sure if she would ever share it but Lemon was proud of her work, the way only a creator could be. She gave a dazed smile before saving it and powering down her laptop. She checked that her phone and headphones were plugged in before collapsing on her bed. Hyperfocus really took the energy out of her.

Just as she was about to drift off to sleep, her alarm rang.

"Shoot."

Author's Note:

Oh? Are these parallels?

also a short chapter because I'm rushing this before I head overseas