• Published 14th Feb 2020
  • 7,378 Views, 294 Comments

Scenes From a Life (Post-Villainy) - Jade Ring



Glimpses into the lives of Tirek, Chrysalis, and Cozy Glow after they settle down in Saddleburg.

  • ...
7
 294
 7,378

Mother (Figures) Day

Prompt: “Cozy Glow has some questions about how Chrysalis really feels about Mares Day.”

The door to the room of the spa that held the mud baths finally clicked shut, and Cozy Glow cracked open an eye. Ensuring the coast was clear, she looked over at the room’s sole other occupant. “Alright. You’re good.”

No response.

The young mare, barely out of fillyhood, sat up slightly, shifting the warm mud-like mixture in which she sat. “Mom? You can change back now.”

“Hmm?” The mare called Shutterbug stirred in her own mud bath and used her magic to lift a cucumber slice from her eye. “Oh, sorry. I nearly dozed off there.” The mud bubbled like boiling water as emerald flames coated the mare. When they faded, the former Queen of the Changelings sank further back with a sigh. “I really needed this after that last batch of school pictures…”

Cozy Glow arched an eyebrow as she noticed which form Chrysalis had chosen. “Wow, you really are relaxed, aren’t you?”

Chrysalis’ magic once again lifted the (now slightly singed) cucumber slice from her eye and grimaced as she beheld the creamy white of her purified form.

Cozy Glow giggled as she settled back into her own mud bath. “Don’t worry. I won’t tell Papa.”

“You’d better not.” Chrysalis floated the vegetable slice into her mouth and chewed slowly. “It would be terrible to have to kill you on Mares Day.”

The two former villains shared a laugh before sliding into a relaxed silence. After a while, it was Cozy Glow who sat up again. “Mom?”

“Hmm?”

“Do you remember our first Mares Day?”

Chrysalis smiled wistfully. “How could I forget? You brought me that card you made in class, your father brought me breakfast in bed…”

“...Followed by the two of you kicking me out of the house for an hour…” Cozy Glow muttered.

Chrysalis continued like she hadn’t heard her. “And then you told me about the Mares Day special at the town’s new spa.” She sighed as she shifted in the mud. “So it’s been for the past two years. It looks like we accidently created a family tradition.”

“Well, I don’t see why part of the tradition has to be me having to entertain myself for an hour after I make you breakfast.”

Chrysalis smirked as her mind was filled with images of bulging red biceps. “You have your way of showing appreciation on Mares Day, and your father has his.” Something clicked and she sat up, barely catching the remaining cucumber slice. “Wait. You make me breakfast in bed?”

Cozy Glow rolled her eyes. “You really think papa knows how to make heart shaped pancakes? Papa? Who somehow manages to set fire to juice?”

Chrysalis glared as she plopped the slice into her mouth. “And all this time he’s been bragging about how hard he works on those pancakes…”

Cozy Glow giggled as she raised a hoof from the mud and examined it. “Can I ask you something?”

Chrysalis, who really just wanted to sink back into the mud and plot her imminent vengeance on her deceitful husband, swallowed her cucumber and nodded. “If you must.”

“Why has this place become our Mares Day thing? I mean, the mud bath and the massage, I get. But why do you bother with the hooficure? Or getting our manes done?”

“I can’t enjoy getting my mane done?”

“Well, sure you can. But it’s not your actual mane. You’re disguised the whole time.” Cozy Glow shrugged. “I guess I don’t understand why you spend bits on something that’s just an illusion.”

Chrysalis was quiet for a moment. “You… you stopped calling me ‘Mama.’”

Cozy Glow looked over sharply. “What?”

“You still call Tirek ‘Papa,’ but for the past few months I’ve just become ‘Mom.’”

“Okay…” Cozy Glow wasn’t quite following.

“It’s something I thought I’d be used to by now. My other children… my hive, I mean… when they were tiny larva they’d call me ‘Mommy.’ Then they’d grow, and a few would just call me ‘Mom.’ Before I knew it, I was just ‘Your Highness.’”

“You definitely don’t have to worry about me calling you that.” Cozy Glow offered with a small smile.

“It’s just…” Chrysalis sighed. “I never realized how much I would enjoy actual, real motherhood. Not just being a queen surrounded by drones that just happened to hatch from my eggs. It was my love for you as a daughter that caused this…” She gestured at her reformed visage. “…just as much as my love for your father did. I’ve done my best to be an actual mother for the first time in my life, and I hope I’ve done a good job…”

“You have!” Cozy Glow leaned forward. “You’re the best, Mom!”

“I just didn’t realize how fast you’d grow up. And now all of a sudden, I’m not ‘Mama.’ I’m just ‘Mom.’” She sank into the mud. “I thought I’d have more time…”

Cozy Glow sprang from the mud and crossed the room with a single flap of her wings. She landed in Chrysalis’ tub with a wet splat and hugged her mother tightly. “Do you want me to go back to calling you ‘Mama?’”

Chrysalis returned the embrace and smiled. “I want you to call me whatever you want. And I want to keep coming here every Mares Day. A few bits for a hooficure and a mane cut I could do myself with magic is a small price to pay for a special day with my daughter.”

Cozy Glow pulled back and smiled. “Happy Mares Day, Mom.”

Chrysalis smiled back. “Thank you. I love you.”

“Love you more.” A smirk began to creep across Cozy Glow’s face. “So, you want me to call you whatever I want, right?”

“Within reason.” Chrysalis sniffed. “And please don’t become one of those children who calls their parents by their first name.”

“Whatever you want…” Cozy Glow started to rise from the tub. “…Your Highness.”

“Oh, you little…!” Chrysalis lunged for her daughter, but the filly was already airborne. The changeling gave chase, and soon the two mares were racing around the room, laughing and giggling as mud fell like dark rain to the floor below.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Tirek looked over the bill in his hand at the pair of mares before him. “It says here that we wouldn’t have to pay this if the two of you had just cleaned up your own mess.”

“Psh, and spend Mares Day cleaning? Where’s the fun in that?” Cozy Glow rolled her eyes. She looked at her mom and winked. “Besides, what’s a few extra bits for a special day with my Mom?”

Chrysalis smiled, her heart full to bursting.

Tirek smiled as well. “That’s a lovely sentiment, and I’m glad you feel that way.” He passed her the bill so she could read the amount. “Because that’s coming out of your allowance.”

Cozy Glow looked at the amount and her eyes shot open. “On second thought, maybe you can put a price on a special Mares Day…”She muttered as she made her way to her room.

Tirek’s grin faltered when he saw his wife’s smile fading as she looked at him. “What?”

“Oh nothing. But we do need to have a little talk later.” Her eyes flashed dangerously. “About heart shaped pancakes.”

The enormous centaur suddenly felt very small. “Uh… I love you?” He felt himself shrink further when her expression didn’t change. “I’m in trouble, aren’t I? And not the fun kind.”

“That depends.” Chrysalis nodded towards the kitchen. “Let’s see what you can cook up for dinner.”

Tirek very nearly galloped from the room, and soon the sound the pots and pans could be heard.

Chrysalis sighed in contentment as she settled back on the couch and closed her eyes. “It’s good to be the queen…”