• Published 19th Aug 2012
  • 1,288 Views, 10 Comments

July - 2012 (T.W.G.) - The Writer's Group



I'm not saying this is [i]hilarious[/i] or [i]highly irregular[/i], but...

  • ...
0
 10
 1,288

The Grey Mare - GWFan

Author: GWFan
Prompt: Derpy isn’t what she seems.
Title: The Grey Mare


Sparkler and her little sister Dinky Doo rushed into the hospital lobby only to hear a horrible scream come from the next room. Almost immediately, Sparkler saw a familiar pony she had seen around Ponyville many times. “Rainbow Dash!” she called out as the cyan pegasus looked back at her. “We came as soon as we heard. What happened?”

Dash appeared a bit confused at their arrival but complied, “Derpy Hooves got electrocuted by a storm cloud and now she’s acting weirder than ever.”

“Derpy?” Sparkler looked in the room where the scream had emanated from. “That’s our mother, Ditzy Doo.”

“Derpy has kids?”

“It’s complicated. And her name is Ditzy.”

“Ditzy? I know they look alike but that’s not Ditzy.”

“I would know her if I saw her!”

“Wait a minute,” another voice filled the room. “Perhaps I can clear this up.” Dash, Sparkler, and Dinky all looked when a strange stallion walked in.

“Who are you?” Dash asked.

“I’m the Doctor.”

“Doctor who?”

“Just the Doctor. Look, this is a bit of a complicated story but let me see if I can condense it. To put it shortly, I am a time lord.” Dash and Sparkler appeared completely unimpressed, if not completely unconvinced. “I suppose I should be used to that reaction by now. Anyway, I know this may be hard to comprehend but the mare in there… let’s just call her D for now… basically, I recruited her to be my assistant some years back and we traveled all across time together, saving civilizations, righting wrongs, and generally helping people… err ponies. Unfortunately…” The Doctor peered into the room where the grey mare was still screaming. “I failed to rationalize the sort of side effects time travel might have on an individual such as her after so many time jumps.”

“What do you mean? What kind of side effects?” Sparkler asked.

“It seems that in order to cope with the tremendous pressure of time travel, she developed a split personality complex. Thus both Derpy Hooves and Ditzy Doo were born.”

“They’re the same pony? I never knew that. I always thought they were twins or something,” Dash remarked.

“But which one is the real personality?” Sparkler asked.

The Doctor looked askance of them. “She is both and neither.” Another scream filled their ears and the Doctor winced. “The fact of the matter is I fear her electrocution somehow made her two selves aware of one another. She’s having an identity crisis and her simple mind can‘t handle it.”

“What do we do then? Can’t we help her?” Sparkler pleaded.

The Doctor was silent a moment. “I don’t have an answer for that.”

Abruptly a grey mare burst into the room. “Doctor!” she screamed when she saw him. “Doctor, please… who am I? Am I Derpy Hooves or am I Ditzy Doo? I just don’t know anymore.”

The Doctor stared at her, unable to answer. Dash turned away, not sure how to address her friend. Sparkler wanted to cry. Then Dinky Doo stepped forward and looked up at her.

“You’re neither,” she said softly. “You’re just mom.” And she hugged her.

Though silent for a moment, the grey mare slowly smiled. “You’re right. I’m mom.” She hugged her daughter tight and cried a few joyous tears. “I’m mom.”

The End