• Published 19th Aug 2012
  • 1,288 Views, 10 Comments

July - 2012 (T.W.G.) - The Writer's Group



I'm not saying this is [i]hilarious[/i] or [i]highly irregular[/i], but...

  • ...
0
 10
 1,288

Incognito - Dafaddah

Author: Dafaddah
Prompt: Derpy is not what she seems.
Title: Incognito


Derpy Hooves got home just in time to help prepare dinner. Her husband was already in the kitchen. He had gathered all the ingredients for one of his signature salads. This time he also had walnuts, maple syrup, lime juice, olive oil and grated cinnamon. The aroma was already enticing, and he still had to toss everything together. So cute! she thought, as he banged about the kitchen in his apron, humming tunelessly all the while.

She sidled up next to him, pressing close and feeling the warm of his muscular body against hers. "You're in a good mood, my sweet." He leaned over and kissed the top of her head. She said she found this irritating, but it usually left her smiling that special smile she only had when she was really happy. This time was no different, he observed while together they set the table.

"It was a good day. Not much mail, and I got a really great cupcake from Pinkie Pie," she said in her low voice. She poked him in the flank with a large wooden spoon, chuckled when he started, and then licked him once behind the ear as a consolation. "And how was your day, Dr. Hooves?" she asked.

The brown stallion finished laying out some bread and butter. "Oh same old, same old, I suppose. Saved the entire galaxy once, and Equestria at least twice, possibly thrice." Satisfied with the table setting he looked up and called out to their daughter: "Dinky, sweetie, Mommy's home and it's dinner time!"

They took their places at the table as the sound of tiny hooves galloping rang through their cozy little house. The foal appeared a moment later, and threw herself into her mother, who picked her up and cradled her with a foreleg to her neck. "Mommy!" she said with foalish enthusiasm. Derpy revelled in the moment of closeness, which didn't last as Dinky started squirming. "Wow, something smells wonderful!" She plopped out of her mother's embrace and took her own place at the table.

"Eat up honey. Daddy made a special salad today," said Derpy, serving her husband and their daughter before serving herself. The youngster immediately plunged her muzzle into her bowl, making happy eating sounds while her parents ate from their own bowls a bit more sedately.

"So, how was school today, darling?" asked Derpy when her daughter had started to slow down a bit.

"Mommy, you'll never believe what Cherilee showed us. Did you know that the earth was round?..." The filly enthusiastically began describing her lessons as her parents listened attentively. Dinner was the family's favorite time, and today was no exeption.

***

Derpy and the Doctor had put Dinky to bed with a sweet little bedtime story about delivering mail to a Dalek planet. They went to their own bedroom, closing the door tight behind them. "This really was an excellent day, my dear, I wish they could all be so." There was a blue flash. "Yes, my love, it was. Our effort to give Dinky a normal foalhood is one of the best decisions we ever made, even if it can lead to some hectic moments." There was a violet flash. Celestia nuzzled Discord. "I love you!" she whispered, as they made ready for bed.