• Published 3rd Dec 2019
  • 3,254 Views, 153 Comments

Fraternal - Melody Song



Daring Do and Rainbow Dash find out why they look so similar.

  • ...
5
 153
 3,254

Meetings

Rainbow pushed open the door to her house and was tackled by a white blur. Daring backed away, leaving with a flap of her wings. She pressed against the outside of the house, listening.

"Rainbow, where have you been, we were so worried about you." a stallion said

"Correction. Soarin was worried about you. Fleet and I were a little concerned, but you're a grown mare for Celestia's sake. You can take care of yourself."

The mare who said this was Spitfire, Daring recognized the voice from her near encounter with the mare. The other two must be the stallion and mare Rainbow had mentioned, Soarin and Fleetfoot. She smiled a little at the part about a stallion being worried about Rainbow. Even though she had never mentioned liking anypony, Daring was sure that the hug Soarin had pulled Rainbow into meant something was going on between them.

"Well, thanks for being worried about me. E-especially you Soar. But I was fine." Rainbow said.

"Who wath the pony you came in with?" another mare asked. Daring assumed this was Fleetfoot. 'Fleet' was probably a nickname.

"Oh, um...that was one of my other friends."

"Her coat was too dark to be Fluttershy, and none of your other Ponyville friends can fly." Spitfire reasoned.

"Did I say she was from Ponyville?"

"No. But who else could it have been?"

"Seriously Rainbow, where were you?" Soarin asked again.

"I-I was visiting the pony you saw, I asked her if she wanted to come see Ponyville." Rainbow replied

"You know what I love about you Rainbow?" Spitfire asked

"I thought you loved-" Rainbow tried to respond

"Metaphorically speaking." Spitfire interrupted before she could finish.

"That I'm a really good flyer?"

"No. That I can tell when you're lying."

"I'm not!"

"Really? If that friend of yours was just visiting you, then why'd she run away?"

"She, um...she's shy."

"Dash..."

"I can't tell you, okay!" Rainbow blurted out. Daring shook her head.

"Geez, she's bad at this." Daring thought.

"Then I'll go out there and find her myself. She can't have gone far. Come on Fleet." Spitfire said.

Daring almost gasped before remembering to be quiet. She opened her wings, preparing to take off. Hoofsteps sounded, and she rose into the air, trying to stay out of sight. She saw two mares leave the house. One was obviously Spitfire, her coat was yellow, and her mane was the color of fire. The other mare had an ice blue coat and a snowy white mane.

Daring pulled up into the air, but the Sphere was still in her saddlebags. She had managed to balance herself previously, adjusting to the weight in one side of her saddlebags. But now that she took off without a single thought other than to get out of there, the bag slipped. Daring snatched for it but it fell straight past the two mares. Daring dove down after it, unfastening her cloak before diving so she could go faster. A rainbow blur joined her, and she knew Rainbow had followed. The two friends reached and grabbed the saddlebags just before it fell through the trees, lifting it as one.

"I could have grabbed it myself." Rainbow said as they flew back up to her house.

"You were busy distracting them. You're a terrible liar, by the way."

"Am not!" Rainbow protested as they reached just below her home. They hovered in midair, debating the topic.

"Please, even I wouldn't have bought that lie, and it was about me." Daring scoffed

"Sheesh, you know I could let go of this. Or better yet hurl it into oblivion."

"You wouldn't dare."

"You're the one with 'dare' in her name. You tell me." Rainbow replied mischievously

"Daring Do?" Daring swore under her breath and glared at Rainbow.

"Don't blame me, you heard our conversation. I didn't say anything."

"What is a fictional character doing here? Did Twilight mess up another spell?" Spitfire asked

"No." Daring was a little offended

"Guys, she's real. A.K Yearling's the made-up one." Rainbow explained as they set the saddlebags down at the hooves of the mares and stallion.

"Pseudonym." Daring supplied. Rainbow cocked her head, making Daring roll her eyes. "It means fake name."

"Right. That." Rainbow said

"I don't buy it." Spitfire said

"If you're really Daring Do, then who'th your wortht rival?" The other mare asked. Her lisp was obvious, but Daring didn't give it a second thought.

"I'd say Caballeron poses the biggest threat ever since we both swore to stay away from Ahuizotil's jungle." Daring replied smoothly. The mare's eyes widened.

"Thweet Celethtia." she breathed

"Daring, this is Spitfire, Fleetfoot, and Soarin." Rainbow told her, and Daring nodded to them.

"Is this where you've been Rainbow?" Soarin asked, looking at her.

"Well, yeah. Daring wanted some help looking for this treasure, so since I helped her figure out where it was, she asked me to come along."

"How do you know her?" Fleetfoot asked

"We met about...maybe two years ago?" Rainbow asked

"That'th about the time that Ring of Dethtiny came out." Fleetfoot recalled

"Rainbow and her other friends helped me destroy the rings." Daring explained

"What were you looking for thith time?" Fleetfoot asked

"Does it have anything to do with why you flew after a saddlebag that's easily replaceable?" Spitfire asked

"The saddlebags are replaceable, sure. But this..." Daring reached in and lifted out the Crystal Sphere of Khumn "Is definitely not replaceable."

"The Crythtal Thphere of Khumn!" Fleetfoot exclaimed

"The what?" Soarin and Spitfire asked

"They don't read the books." Rainbow explained to Daring.

"Well, in that case, allow me to fill you in:" Daring shifted the sphere in her hooves. "This is the lost Crystal Sphere of Khumn, which has the power to heal any ailment."

"Tho the legend ith real?"

"Yep. Hey Spit, remember when I clipped my wing during Trials Week at Wonderbolt Academy?"

"Yeah...?"

"Well, it's perfectly healed now." Rainbow said, extending her wing.

"You got to touch it?" Fleetfoot asked

"We kind of had to in order to get it out of where it was trapped." Rainbow shrugged.

"So what are you doing here. Shouldn't you be on your way to a museum?" Spitfire asked

"Well..." Daring looked away.

"Let's get the sphere inside. We'll explain there."

Author's Note:

I didn't originally plan to put Spit, Fleet, and Soar as main characters in this story, but I have because it's important that Rainbow and Daring have others who will help them and not dismiss Daring's dream as just a dream.

~Melody Song