• Published 2nd Jan 2020
  • 3,522 Views, 165 Comments

Dreams' Horizon - DrakeyC



How far do you think a dream can take you? For Twilight Sparkle, that question is not one easily answered.

  • ...
8
 165
 3,522

Chapter 13

Twilight scanned the index of the book in front of her and saw what she was looking for. “Princess, page 212…” She began flipping to the page.

“Uh, Twilight?

She paused and raised her head at Minuette’s voice. Her friend gestured to the table in front of her. “You wanna eat before it gets cold?”

Twilight looked down; Minuette had brought lunch for everypony today, a mash-up of various kinds of pasta noodles and cheeses with sauce, portioned out from a large plastic container in the center of the room. “Right. Sorry.” Twilight lifted the fork she had left stuck in the noodles and popped it in her mouth.

A bit heavy on the cheese, but well-seasoned. She chewed and resumed reading.

“What are you looking for, anyway?” Lemon asked. She peered at the cover of the book. “I haven’t looked at a copy of Tales of Olde since I was in elementary school.”

“I know.” Twilight absent-mindedly nodded. “I wanted something more simple and basic that I could look at over lunch. I’ve looked at books that go in-depth on the Tribal Era and they didn’t have anything. I thought something more general might have a lead.”

“The Tribal Era?” Moondancer leaned closer. “What would you be researching in regards to that?”

“Princess Luna.”

“Luna?” Lemon asked. “Who’s that?”

“Twilight’s dream girl mentioned her.”

“Yes, she said–” Twilight paused to register Twinkleshine’s remark and then gave her a small pout.

Twinkleshine smirked in response before continuing. “Sunset mentioned the name ‘Luna’. She thinks it could be a lead.”

“Not just Luna, Princess Luna,” Twilight said. “You don’t casually mistake the name of a Princess, and Sunset…the way she said it…” she shook her head. “She wasn’t making the name up.”

“So?” Twinkleshine shrugged. “If there was another princess out there, I’m pretty sure we would have heard about it by now.”

“Exactly.” Twilight speared a cluster of pasta noodles on her fork. “I don’t think she exists anymore. But I’ve heard of her before. Not by name, maybe. But I know I’ve heard somewhere that there were two princesses in ancient times. I just can’t remember where.”

Moondancer murmured. “There are a few accounts of two princesses in ancient legends and myths. But they’re exactly that – legends and myths. Historical records from the Tribal Era are extremely scarce to begin. And when you take into account translation errors from Old Ponish, authorial liberties with the material, how much of it was second-hoof recordings of events that happened years if not decades earlier…”

Twilight nodded. “Yes, I know. But it’s worth a shot, isn’t it?”

“Honestly, I would say no.” Moondancer gave a small huff. “Some of those old stories talk about four princesses, or five, or even six. Not to mention it’s vague when they’re conflating accounts of alicorns with princesses, even though there are numerous princesses from those times that weren’t alicorns. History like that is too unreliable. Legend, speculation, and fact are all rolled together until you can’t tell them apart.” She gave a deeper huff and a groan. “It’s why I’ve said that having an Ancient History class at this school is misleading. A more apt name would be ‘Ancient Theorycrafting’.”

Minuette waved a hoof. “We know, Moony; if you can’t easily index it, you don’t like it.”

Moondancer adjusted her glasses and sniffed. “I’m hardly so pedantic.”

Minuette looked at the large plastic container of pasta in the center of the table. “There’s extra if anypony wants some. I guess Luster isn’t coming today.”

Twinkleshine shook her head. “She has some studying to do, so she went to the library.”

“Okay, good.” Minuette gave a short nod and a small smile. “I like having her back at these lunches. Things feel back to normal again.”

Twilight paused in her reading and raised her head. “That’s because they are back to normal. It’s settled, we told you girls that.”

“I know.” Minuette gave a small shrug and smiled again. “I just mean it’s nice. I tried to talk her into coming here, or to visit her between classes. I don’t like when my friends aren’t getting along.”

She spoke to Luster on her own? She never mentioned that. Luster didn’t either. Twilight stored the thought in the back of her mind for later. “Well, we are getting along. She’s just not here.” She closed the book and sighed. “And the answers I’m looking for aren’t here either.” She lifted the book and put it away in her bag on the floor, the magic aura around it flickering and fading to drop it in.

“You take Ancient History, right?” Lemon asked. “Maybe you can ask Professor Byblos after lunch?”

“I spoke to him already, he just said what I have: there’s a few scarce accounts of two princesses, but nothing concrete.” Twilight looked at her pasta and lifted her fork. “I thought a less professional-level book might be more open to including less substantiated claims, but it seems not.”

“Well, there is another option,” Twinkleshine began. “You could ask Princess Celestia directly. She’s immortal...ish. Isn’t she?”

“Yes, ‘ish’.” Twilight smiled softly. “I planned exactly that, actually. I’d have gone to ask her now, if I could. I made an appointment to see her after classes.”

“Why couldn’t you see her now?” Lemon asked. “Busy?”

“No. She’s not here.”


When Twilight was a filly, her mother had entered some sort of writing contest. The prize was to have her work showcased in the magazine she had written for, and four tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala. Between her young age and her general distaste for luxury and pomp, Twilight hadn’t had much interest in attending. But her brother was going, so if she stayed home she would have been left with a babysitter who insisted on treating her like she was a mere infant. She had opted to spend the evening with her family.

Had she been a bit older and able to understand that it was a rare opportunity for non-members of the nobility to attend an event held at Canterlot Castle, she may have appreciated the occasion more.

“Wait here, please.” The unicorn guard nodded at her, and then turned and marched down the corridor and around a corner. Twilight looked from side to side and saw a bench she presumed was for visitors, walked over, and sat down. She took a moment to breathe and calm herself. As she lifted her head to look around, her efforts failed.

Canterlot Castle was a marvel to behold, Equestria’s oldest and most impressive feat of architecture. Even though she was a young adult now, the walls still towered over Twilight as they had more than a decade ago. Everywhere she looked there was gleaming pristine white and gold; the walls, the ceilings, support columns, windows, picture frames, wall sconces. The only decoration not in those colors was the carpet, a rich crimson that ran most of the width of the hall. She wasn’t sure which fixtures were actually gold or some other metal, or what kind of stone the structure was made from, but it was an impressive sight regardless.

The castle wasn’t loud, but there was a gentle bustle about things. Ponies that were clearly of noble families walked past, noses pointed in the air and family crests embroidered on cloaks and scarves and other articles of clothing. A few pegasi in guard armor flew overhead and down the corridor to the exit. She also caught sight of a cart further down the hall and a unicorn wiping down a picture frame.

“Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight yelped. In her examination of the castle, Celestia had practically snuck up on her and was a few hooves away from the bench and coming closer. Twilight stood up and bowed her head. “Princess. Sorry, I didn’t see you coming.”

“There’s no need for apologies, Twilight.” Celestia stopped in front of her, chuckling and gently shaking her head. “How are you?”

“I’m well, thank you.” Twilight lifted her head. “I’m sorry to bother you on your day off. Or, not. I mean, I’m sure you’re still very busy here.” She forced a smile.

“Yes, I devote as much time as I can to the school, but Equestria cannot run itself.” Celestia leaned closer. “And if you knew the nobility like I do, you’d be grateful for that.” She winked and gave a small smirk. Twilight felt her tension loosen and her smile turned genuine.

A small grunt made the two turn their heads to a noble couple, a white stallion and a pink unicorn mare. The stallion sputtered and avoided eye contact. “Apologies, Princess, I did not want to interrupt, but I was just wondering if, perhaps we could…” he gestured a hoof forward. “Go around you?”

“Oh, certainly.” Celestia stepped aside and politely nodded as the two passed by her, mumbling apologies and gratitude. While they continued on, Celestia looked down at Twilight. “Perhaps we should walk and talk, rather than stand in the hall?”

“Of course. Lead...on.” Twilight nodded. Celestia turned and began moving, and Twilight trotted next to her, falling into step. Celestia turned a corner and Twilight followed her. She glanced up at the Princess for a moment, long enough to tell she was looking ahead, and then turned her eyes the same way. The passages in the castle all looked the same to Twilight, but she could tell that Celestia knew where they were going.

Already a stroll in the castle felt different than a meeting with her at her office in the SGU. Paradoxically, it felt less formal. At the SGU the Princess was the absolute authority that Twilight reported to about her friends and her classes. Here, she was walking and talking to Celestia like she would her friends. Without a desk to separate them, it felt more personal. She felt the tension on her body loosen and her steps became less stiff.

“What did you need to speak to me about?” Celestia asked softly.

“Um...yes.” Twilight coughed into a hoof and frowned. “I wanted to ask something. And this may be very strange, perhaps even personal or private, but I’m just taking a shot in the dark.”

“I’m listening.”

“Okay…” Twilight took a breath. “Do you know somepony named ‘Princess Luna’?”

Celestia froze in mid-step, her hoof still in the air.

Twilight stopped and turned to her. She felt a chill run down her spine and pushed past it. “You do.”

“Yes.” Celestia closed her eyes and quickly shook her head. “Forgive me, Twilight. That is a name I’ve not heard in a very long time, especially from other ponies.”

Twilight nodded. “May I ask who she was?”

Celestia looked at her evenly, then lifted her head and stared off into space. Twilight waited patiently, trying to decipher what she was thinking, but had no success. After several seconds, Celestia turned around and began walking back the way they had come.

“Come with me.”

Twilight waited a moment to see if Celestia would say anything more, then trotted after her.


The double doors at the end of the hall pulled open and the guards bowed their heads as Celestia and Twilight passed them. Celestia paused and looked back at one of them. “Please close the doors. Inform anypony looking for me that I am currently occupied and will be with them shortly.”

“Yes, Princess.”

Celestia stepped forward and the doors creaked shut, a thud echoing when they had fully closed.

Twilight slowly turned her head, her eyes taking in the room before them.

At a glance, it was not entirely dissimilar from the other areas in the castle they had seen coming here. It was a large assembly hall with pillars lining a wide carpeted walkway toward a raised platform at the other end. Natural sunlight lit the room, streaming in from massive stained glass windows on the sides. What caught one’s attention was not the layout or the architecture, but the decoration.

Instead of the white and gold of the rest of the castle, contrasting swirls of soft pink and pale blue wove around the pillars. Similar stripes interlaced on the edge of the carpet underhoof, running over tiles of repeating black and white. Starbursts of dark blue and purple and deep yellow and pink blanketed the ceiling and reminded Twilight of the onset of dusk or dawn.

“What is this place?”

“The Hall of the Two Sisters.” Celestia walked past her and to the side of the room.

Twilight quickly moved to keep pace and looked up at her. “Hall of the Two Sisters?”

“Luna is – was – my little sister.”

Celestia stopped and lifted her head. Twilight looked up with her and gasped.

Before them was one of the numerous stained glass windows in the hall. The pieces of colored glass created a scene of a grassy hill with numerous ponies running in a circle. Above them, rays of light streamed down from an emblem that was half shining sun, half radiant moon. Two stylized alicorns circled it on either side, one pink with a pale pink mane, the other blue with a deep blue mane.

“In the earliest years of Equestrian history, Luna and I ruled the land together. In those times, when our kingdom was smaller and Canterlot had not yet grown into a town, this hall was where we sat our thrones and saw ponies who visited us.”

Twilight looked back and forth over the image of the blue alicorn represented in the window. “...So...all of those old stories about two alicorns…”

“Are truthful.” Celestia let out a long breath and stepped closer to the window, her eyes trained on it. “I regret that they are merely stories. My memory of those times has begun to fade, it was so long ago. I could not fill in all the gaps in history even if I wanted to.”

“Long ago?” Twilight turned her attention to the princess. “How long?”

Celestia gave a wistful smile up at the window. “Almost a thousand years, now.”

“Whoa.”

Celestia’s smile faded and she looked down at Twilight. Twilight looked back with wide eyes. “I mean! Just, you hear about Cele–er, you, being immortal, and you think ‘wow, that’s a really long time’, but how long exactly. And everyone asks ‘is she actually immortal or just really old?’ Not that you’re old, I meant...”

Celestia raised a hoof and Twilight stopped. She took a breath and swallowed. “I’m sorry. It’s a lot to take in.”

“I know.” Celestia looked back at the window. “I wish we had kept better records of those days, rather than my half-forgotten anecdotes. There is much wonderful history that has been lost to time.” She swept her hoof to the side and began walking along the windows.

Twilight followed her. Each alcove had a different window in it, and she took in each one with renewed awe. A blue alicorn – Luna – gliding through the night sky, streams of magic flowing from her horn onto sleeping ponies below; Celestia wreathed in flame and rising over a great red dragon; the sisters standing before a trio of ponies, one of each race, with their heads bowed.

“Each window here commemorates an event in Equestria’s founding. Luna and I brought the three quarreling leaders of the tribes together and convinced them to set aside their differences for peace. They had more in common to cherish together than differences that were deserving of hate. But, when the time came to draft the formal treaty that declared them one kingdom, the question was asked who would lead that kingdom. And – quite to our shock, considering their history of strife – they unanimously agreed that it should be the two ponies who belonged to neither tribe, yet embodied the goodness and magic within them all.”

“Alicorns.” Twilight stepped up to the window with the three ponies kneeling before the sisters. “They named you and Luna their rulers.”

“Yes. When our castle was completed, we held our coronation ceremony in this room. I was crowned Princess of the Sun, and Luna was the Princess of the Moon.”

Celestia smiled softly. “Luna’s cutie mark symbolized her connection to the moon. As alicorns, our powers already surpassed normal ponies, but when the moon rose, her magical prowess was enhanced to outstrip even mine. We shared duties between day and night. I attended to the affairs of the kingdom in the day, while Luna spent her nights cleansing nightmares from sleeping foals and hunting monsters on the outskirts of Equestria. She was as brash as she was fearless.”

Twilight lowered her head. “I’m sorry.”

“For what?”

She turned her head and saw Celestia giving her a quizzical look.

“When I asked about Luna, I didn’t think that maybe…” Twilight stepped towards Celestia as she spoke and paused when she was in front of her. “You keep talking about her in the past tense. So...”

Celestia’s face darkened. “Yes.”

“I’m sorry,” Twilight repeated.

“Do not be, Twilight. You could not have known.” Celestia put a hoof on her neck and guided her to walk alongside her again. The two stepped back onto the carpet running down the middle of the room. “As I said, it has been a long time since anypony has spoken Luna’s name. I regret that so many records of her have been lost to time, but my limited knowledge cannot fill in the holes in history. And the things I could share are things I would rather not. She was a Princess to all, but she was a sister to me. I keep my memories of her where they belong and are most needed – my heart.”

“And then I came prying…”

“No.” Celestia shook her head. “You asked an innocent question. And I have not minded giving you an answer. I think sometimes that I’ve made a mistake, shutting this room from the public. I always enjoy showing it to others, on the rare occasion there is cause for it. I loved Luna as dearly as anypony has ever loved their sister. It is one thing to write of her for a textbook, but to speak of her in conversation, that is a rare opportunity. One that I cherish.”

Celestia lifted a hoof to the dias at the end of the room. Twilight stepped towards it and looked up.

A small flight of stairs ascended to the dias. On one side was a pedestal holding a life-sized statue of an alicorn, carved from a dark stone. Deep green eyes seemed to be looking down at Twilight. Her mane and tail were nebulas of stars swirling in the air behind her, made of fine glass that gave off a gentle glow in the light.

“What happened to her?” Twilight asked softly.

“...She died.” Twilight heard Celestia breathe deeply. “There was an…attack. Luna and I had no choice but to fight the creature ourselves, to defend our ponies. I did not see what happened. I only know that when the beast was felled and I looked for my sister...I found her, but it was too late to save her.”

Twilight approached the dias and carefully put a hoof on the edge. “You’ve lived alone for a thousand years?”

“Yes.” Hoofsteps let her know Celestia had stepped closer to her. “Not a day goes by that I don’t miss her. Each one is a day apart that we could have been together, and I regret each one more than the last. But...”

Twilight noticed Celestia’s voice grow quiet and turned her head. The alicorn stared up at the statue of Luna, her eyes clouded. Twilight turned fully around and waited a moment, but Celestia remained silent.

It’s like she forgot I’m even here. “Princess?”

Celestia blinked and when she opened them again she was looking at Twilight. “Forgive me, Twilight. I was merely thinking.”

“Why did you bring me here? Why tell me all this?”

Celestia raised her head again and inhaled deeply. “I admit, I am not entirely sure…” She looked back at Twilight. A new expression came over her, one that Twilight couldn’t decipher. “I...I wanted you to know.” Celestia gave a short nod. “Your dreams have given you so many riddles and mysteries to untangle. I am grateful that I could be of help with at least one.”

Twilight recalled her manners and bowed her head. “Thank you. I know it goes without saying this is something personal and important to you. I appreciate you sharing it.”

“Of course, Twilight.” Her expression hardened only slightly. “Although, if you don’t mind, I would ask you not to tell others about this. As you said, this is personal to me, and I don’t think the history scholars out there would appreciate me upending their research.”

“Certainly. My muzzle is sealed.” Twilight nodded and pantomimed pulling a zipper across her mouth.

Celestia turned around and gently gestured her head forward. “I still have some spare time before my next meeting. Would you care for something to eat? I could at least see you to a waiting area.” The two began walking back towards the doors of the room.

“I’d like to, but I actually have some studying to do tonight.” Twilight looked sheepish as she rubbed her neck. “I’ve been spacing out during some of my classes and a friend is letting me copy her notes.’

“Not paying attention in classes?” Celestia hummed. “I do hope that doesn’t affect your grades. I would deeply hate to have to give you a B.”

No!” Twilight shrieked, her eyes bulging. “No, no, I’m catching up!” She stopped when she heard Celestia’s laughter. “Oh. You were joking.”

“Twilight Sparkle, your passion for knowledge has amazed me more and more with each passing year, and that holds true now as before.” Celestia smiled wide at her. “I daresay you could skip classes entirely save to complete tests and turn in assignments, and still likely graduate at the top of your year...though, do not take that as permission to try.” She punctuated the comment with a chuckle.

Twilight blushed under the praise. “I won’t. Thank you, Princess.”

The two reached the doors and Celestia rapped lightly. When they swung open, she looked at one of the guards, an orange pegasus. “Would you please show Twilight to the front doors?”

“Of course, Princess.” The guard bowed his head and then turned his attention to Twilight. “This way.”

“Have a good evening, Twilight.” Celestia gestured a hoof towards her in a small wave.

“You too, Princess. I will. ” Twilight waved back and then looked ahead to follow her guide.

With her guide calmly leading her forward at a steady pace, Twilight was left with her thoughts. Princess Luna. Amazing. An old pony’s tale about two alicorns is really true. I wish I could learn more about her. But, no. Celestia said those memories are personal. I can’t pry in the Princess’ affairs. Nevermind the fact it’s the Princess, it would be rude for anypony.

She absent-mindedly pulled to the side to allow a servant with a cart of cleaning supplies to pass her. I’m certain I had never heard the name ‘Luna’ before. As if I needed further proof Sunset really exists. But where did she hear the name? That could be a clue. If I could find out where Sunset heard about Luna from, maybe if she read it in a textbook, I could see who borrowed it last.

As she descended a curving set of stairs, Twilight frowned. Sunset said she had asked Princess Luna for help. She’s spoken to her. But that’s impossible if Princess Luna died a thousand years ago. What could she have meant? She took a breath. Okay. Examine this calmly and logically. Sunset claims to be in contact with Luna. If I presume this is true, how could this be possible? Time travel? That far back, unlikely. Spiritualism? Not implausible but also unlikely. And neither of these explains how Sunset knew about Luna in the first place.

I’m missing something. There was the way she said it too, ‘the Princess’. As though I would refer to Celestia. It was so casual. Why? Twilight grunted. “This is too confusing.”

“Something wrong, miss?” The guard in front of her slowed his pace and turned his head.

“Erm, no, it’s nothing.” She waved him off without glancing at him. Perhaps there really is some sort of distortion of perception in the dream after all?

“Whoa!”

Twilight jerked and stopped as the guard descended in front of her and stumbled forward. He looked himself over and reached up to adjust his helmet. When he noticed her watching him he awkwardly coughed and faced forward. “Apologies, miss. Let’s continue.” He folded his wings and walked forward.

Twilight walked a bit faster until she was beside him. “Are you alright?”

“Yes, thank you.” the guard frowned and she saw his wings flex. “I became momentarily disoriented while in flight. I’ll keep my hooves on the ground for the time being.”

She nodded and murmured. After a moment or two she turned back to him. “While we’re walking together – er, what’s your name?”

“Flash Sentry, miss.” The guard turned his eyes her way and gave a polite smile and nod.

“Okay, Flash, hello. Since we’re walking together for now, a hypothetical scenario.” Twilight took a breath. “Say that you were having very odd, very unusual dreams, but for some reason you were convinced they had a deeper meaning behind them. Except that the things happening in the dreams make no sense. What would you do?”

Flash’s eyebrows lifted. “That’s a very specific and yet very general ‘hypothetical scenario’.” He rocked his head and thought. “For help on something with your dreams, I can’t say. Sorry, but I don’t know you well enough at all to offer any thoughts.”

“...That’s fair.” The two rounded another corner. Twilight recognized the main entrance hall before them, a grand staircase stretching up the wall and splitting in either direction. Flash led her down the steps, past some nobles coming up the other side, and across the floor to the doors. “Here you are.”

“Thank you.” Twilight stopped at the doors and glanced at him. “And, sorry for my weird question. I’ve just got a lot on my mind.” She gave a forced chuckle.

“I figured.” Flash gave a more genuine smile this time. “And, if you’re still thinking about that ‘hypothetical scenario’ with your dreams? Try asking a friend for help.”

“That’s what I was here for, actually.” Twilight waved at Flash and then trotted out the doors.

Her hoof touched the second step from the bottom when she stopped, and her eyes went wide.

Ponies coming and going from the castle continued on their business around her. A few muttered under their breath as they were forced to go around her. Twilight didn’t notice any of them. Her body was still, but her mind was racing a mile a second.

She mentally replayed her actions since seeing Celestia, trying to recall every word they had exchanged. She had nowhere near that level of recollection, but she remembered enough to be coldly certain of something.

Her hooves shook under her and her breath caught in her throat.

“Your dreams have given you so many riddles and mysteries to untangle. I am grateful that I could be of help with at least one.”

Twilight slowly turned her head to look back at the castle, the sun gleaming behind its spires and making them cast shadows over her.

I never told her where I heard Luna’s name.