• Published 30th Nov 2019
  • 1,132 Views, 20 Comments

Longing for the Past - Fantasia



In another world wrought with disaster, and ravaged by conflict and war, Twilight Sparkle finds herself at wits' end from suffering heartache after heartache, and finds herself longing to return to a simpler time, when friendship was magic. Her past.

  • ...
3
 20
 1,132

Tensions Rising

Celestia and Luna were the first to set hoof in the small, rural town. Attracting the attention of whatever ponies were on the street, they began warning them that Ponyville was no longer safe, and to head straight for their homes and lock the doors once getting there.

If the changelings had already integrated with the townsfolk, their only way of knowing would be if one attempted to leave.

Not long after the princesses began to warn ponies, did airships descend from above, carrying with them Canterlot's soldiers. They filed out, their voices barking orders that disrupted the once quiet town. They stationed themselves in front of houses, at every street corner, the four corners of Ponyville itself, and the roads leading in and out of it.

Pegasi guards surveyed the skies, keeping a watchful eye out over the horizon.

Twilight and Rainbow Dash tentatively walked the streets of this new and unfamiliar scene.

Everything was eerily quiet.

"This feels... wrong," Twilight murmured, peering ahead of herself anxiously.

"I know what you mean," Rainbow agreed. "It's like whenever Zecora would come into town, all those years ago... Everypony's afraid, confused... on edge even."

"Maybe we should have stayed in Canterlot, had I only known we'd be returning to this..."

"I know it feels icky, Twilight, but it's only temporary—a-and besides! You're needed here, I just know it."

Twilight lifted her sullen gaze to meet Dash's, when her friend's eyes all of a sudden turned towards the direction of something else, her ears picking up on a couple of raised voices.

"So what do you mean to tell us? That changelings may already have invaded?"

Luna stepped back, holding up a hoof in reassurance. "That is not what I am inferring—"

"But is it not true that one of us could already be a changeling?"

"Lyra Heartstrings and Bon Bon," Rainbow muttered softly, saddened by the sight. "They're so close, it's no wonder they'd be stressing out over this more than anypony else... Well," Rainbow looked back over her shoulder at Twilight. "Looks like we found your calling."

Twilight remained silent, finding her spirits slowly being lifted.

"Looks like it," she agreed with a renewed sense of confidence, before walking on over.

Once she was within earshot, Twilight greeted cheerily, "Hello, Girls."

The two ponies however, jumped in fright at the sound of her soft voice.

They turned around to face the newcomer, and instantly cried, "Changeling!"

Twilight's eyes narrowed.

Lyra and Bon Bon paused, then shot each other a scrutinizing glare.

"Like you're really worried," they both hissed at the other.

"Girls, girls," Twilight beseeched them. "It's me... Twilight."

"Twilight?" Bon Bon repeated, incredulous.

"I did not believe it at first either," Luna chimed in.

The two of them glanced up at Luna, then back at their supposed friend, remaining on edge.

"If you're Twilight," Bon Bon began to ask; "what's with the crystals?"

Twilight averted her eyes.

"It's armor," she explained. "For my own..." She sighed heavily. "Protection."

"Against what?" Lyra pried. "Twilight, you've never needed armor before."

"Things change, Lyra," Twilight simply replied. "Chrysalis, she... threatened my life recently, and... when it comes to fighting her, well... I don't exactly have the best track record."

"Ooohkay, but it's just... your voice sounds so, well... hollow—a-and you yourself seem so... jaded. It's unlike you."

"I've been through a lot, Girls, but it really is me. Lyra, you used to live in Canterlot! We... were friends with one another, and a few other girls from our school!"

Lyra raised an eyebrow. "What were their names?"

"Uh..." The question gave Twilight pause. "I, um..."

Her eyes darted back and forth for an answer as her mind struggled to remember.

"I don't know," she admitted with a sigh in defeat, after a couple moments.

She peered away, scuffing the ground in shame.

Lyra pursed her lips.

"Okay, I believe you." Twilight lifted her head, dumbfounded. Lyra looked back at her with a friendly smile. "The Twilight I knew could never remember."

"Oh, great judgement," Bon Bon chastised her, shoving her shoulder lightly. "Here's an idea. Maybe she doesn't know because she's a changeling!"

Lyra narrowed her eyes, and was about to refute when Twilight reached her hoof out between them.

"Girls! Neither of you are changeling, and neither am I! I came here with Rainbow Dash, so... if you don't believe me..." She looked over her shoulder and motioned with her eyes to her friend. "Ask her."

Rainbow in turn, replied with a meek wave of her hoof.

Lyra and Bon Bon's expressions turned wry.

"How do you know she's not a changeling?" Lyra accused.

"I..." Twilight's gaze lowered, and she gave it some thought.

"She has chosen to share her love with me—rather than keep it all to herself. A changeling would never do that."

Both of their mouths fell open at the revelation.

"So... you and Rainbow—?"

"Care for one another, yes," Twilight replied without a moment's hesitation. "And as long as you show compassion for one another, then you have my word that you're both who you say you are."

Lyra and Bon Bon each turned away in embarrassment, clutching their forelegs with their other forehooves.

Lyra was the first to sway, biting her bottom lip before turning and asking, "Do you care about me, Bonnie?"

"Oh of course I do, Lyres. Why do you think I was so bent out of shape when it was revealed that you might be a changeling? You're my best friend."

The two shared a brief embrace, during which Bon Bon's eyes shot open.

"The changelings!"

Her and Lyra separated, reminded of the current situation.

"Get someplace safe, Girls," Twilight cut in. "Keep one another safe until this all blows over."

"I could help," Bon Bon offered, Lyra looking back at her in surprise.

"I didn't know you had experience fighting monsters," Twilight remarked.

"N-no, I... i-it's not that..." Bon Bon's cheeks turned a shade of red. "I just... You'll need help, won't you?"

Lyra took on a look of understanding as she turned back to Twilight. "Bonnie's right, Twilight. This is our home too."

Girls... Twilight stared back at them in wonder of their commitment. "I... I appreciate the gesture, but... if you really wish to help, then... keep each other safe. Okay? I can't bare to lose another friend..."

Lyra and Bon Bon's ears flopped, and they nodded solemnly.

"Good luck, Twilight," they each murmured as they stepped past her, and proceeded to safety.

"Mm hm," she replied without paying much attention.

"Well I must say, you handled that well," Luna remarked, lifting Twilight's gaze to meet hers.

"Even though your mind is corroded, it seems you really can be of use here after all."

Twilight glared back at her.

"I could say the same about you."

Luna's brow raised in surprise, bearing a hurt look.

"I did not mean—!" she tried to explain, but Twilight had already turned, hightailing it away from her.

Her steps slowed to a stop once she was an equal distance away from the princess, and Rainbow.

It dawned on her right then, just exactly what she had said... and shook the dreary realization from her head before carrying on.

"Twilight?" Rainbow asked in concern, once she was within range. "What's wrong?"

Twilight's gaze turned crestfallen. "I... lost my temper again, Dash."

Rainbow nodded softly in understanding, lifting her right foreleg to wrap around her girlfriend.

"Luna knows you didn't mean whatever it was you said," she consoled her, bringing her in close.

Twilight remained quiet for a moment before giving her head a soft shake.

"I'm not sure she does..."

Her response piqued her girlfriend's interest, but before she could question it, the sound of her own name being called stole her attention.

Rainbow peered up to see her other four best friends all galloping towards her.

Girls...

Twilight backed quickly out of Rainbow's embrace at the sound of the voice, and stood aptly by her side, keeping her gaze averted.

"Rainbow! Thank goodness we found you," Rarity remarked in relief.

"We heard changelings were on their way, and were worried about ya," Applejack chimed in.

"And that's a total buzzkill!" Pinkie exclaimed in a single stot before freezing in place.

She blinked, catching sight of the mystery mare cloaked in crystal, standing beside her friend, and dashed over to her while midair.

"Twilight?" Pinkie immediately asked, poking the side of Twilight's face. "Is that you in there—?"

"Yes," Rainbow cut in, shooing her hoof away. "Yes, Pinkie, it is."

She let out an irritated huff just as the others all looked at her funny.

"Well, what on Earth are you doing wearing something so horrid, Dear?"

"And, um... intimidating—i-if you don't mind me saying," Fluttershy quietly noted.

Twilight shook her head. "It's alright, Fluttershy. This is for my own protection. It's... armor," she reluctantly explained.

"Well, whatever for?"

"Yeah, and how come we don't get any? We're all in danger too—!"

Pinkie was silenced by Applejack grabbing her tail, and tugging her away from Twilight. "Now now, Sugarcube. Don't go crowding Twilight like that. Ah'm sure that whatever reason she has is a good one."

Twilight's hoof hesitantly scuffed the dirt road. "Chrysalis... threatened me in the dead of night, and... without my magic, I couldn't fight back. I can't even throw a punch, so... because I'm such a major player in this conflict, I was asked to wear this."

She looked around at all her friends' faces, and it looked as though they had bought into her and Rainbow's little lie.

Well, she thought glumly... It wasn't a total lie.

"I do say... Chrysalis, here in Ponyville? Are you alright?"

"I am, Rarity. I'm just a little shaken up, but... motivated at the same time. Chrysalis didn't just threaten me, she... threatened all of you, and Ponyville too! I couldn't just sit by knowing that my friends and hometown were in danger."

"That's so kind of you, Twilight, but... if you don't mind me asking... What can you possibly do in that, um... armor?" Fluttershy asked.

"I was, uhm... told that I can create crystal constructs—b-by just willing it really!" The others sans Rainbow all cocked their heads at her.

Twilight closed her eyes, and centered her thoughts, pointing a hoof at an empty patch of road.

"If I just focus..."

The ground slowly began to shake, and from where she aimed her hoof, came forth a single, sharp column of crystal from the ground, taller than any one of them.

Her friends all jumped back slightly, and even Twilight found herself staring in awe of the monument, then down at her own hoof in wonder.

"Well Ah'll be..."

"That's amazing, Twilight!"

"Simply dazzling!"

"I guess..." Twilight agreed, still a little shaken. She glanced over at Rainbow in uncertainty, then back to the rest of her friends, explaining, "I can't beat them without all of your support, though, so... can I count on you to help me?"

"You sure can!" Pinkie exclaimed.

"We'll gladly defend our very own princess," Applejack duly noted, the others nodding in agreement.

"Please don't look at it like that, Girls. I may be royalty, but I don't want any of you risking your lives for mine—that's why I have this armor. No, we'll defend each other, as friends, and as citizens of Equestria."

The four of them looked back at her admirably.

"How humble," Rarity remarked.

Rainbow all the while, looked at her girlfriend with a fond smile.

That's the Twilight I know.

Twilight smiled to herself, slipping back into thought. I really thought Rainbow would end up encompassing all of my thoughts. Being back here in Ponyville though, with all my friends, I'm starting to realize that I do care for them all equally, just in different ways. I don't think I could stand to lose any of them...

"So, ah... sundown, is that correct?"

Twilight's train of thought derailed, and she looked back at Applejack. "I'm sorry?"

"The changelings, Sugarcube."

"Oh, right! Yeah," Twilight affirmed, looking towards the sky. "Sunset..."


Twilight paced back and forth before Rainbow, keeping her eyes fixed on the setting sun.

"What the hay," she murmured, puzzled. "They should have shown up by now..."

"Maybe they chickened out," suggested Rainbow, but Twilight shook her head, remaining adamant.

"Chrysalis is no coward, Rainbow Dash. Or, well, I mean... she isn't exactly noble, but... nothing scares her. She even went hoof-to-hoof with Celestia at my brother's wedding!"

"That's true," Rainbow lamented, her ears flopping while she averted her eyes.

"No, she definitely has something up her slimy, sinister sleeve... but what?"

"Twily! There you are!"

A weight lifted from Twilight's shoulders at the sound of her brother's voice, and she turned to greet him as he approached, clad in armor.

"Thank goodness you're alright. I meant to come looking for you earlier, but I just couldn't up and leave my post."

"It... it's okay, Big Brother. I didn't even know you were here—not that it's surprising. You were there with me in Whinnyapolis too." The two slipped into silence for a moment, with Twilight hesitating on what to say next.

"Uhm, Brother... a-about my appearance—"

"You were attacked, Twilight. There's no shame in that." Twilight lifted her head, looking back at her brother, astonished.

"You... know?"

"Celestia filled me in. Man, when I get my hooves on that insect, I'll—!"

"Shining, please..." Twilight urged.

"She disguised herself as my wife, attacked Canterlot, threatened your life, and now your home too!" He sighed, dropping his shoulders in dismay, before smiling apologetically toward the six of them. "Sorry if I'm getting a little hot under the collar, everypony, I'm just... sick of it."

"We all are, Sugar. We can't blame ya."

"What Applejack said!"

Rainbow glanced over at Twilight who stood still, seemingly lost in thought.

"Twilight?"

Rainbow elbowed her side, capturing her attention.

"Hm?"

"What're you thinking about?"

"Only what my brother just reminded me of..." She turned her attention back to her brother. "Shining, what if... Chrysalis never actually gave up on Canterlot? I mean... w-what if she's been after it this whole time?"

"Twilight, that's—?"

"Preposterous?" she dared him to say. "I'm the smartest one here, Brother. Don't you dare undermine—!" She caught herself before she said another word, raising a hoof over her mouth. "Oh gosh..."

"It's alright, Twilight," her brother assured. "We're all just under a lot of stress right now, and I never meant to suggest that you're not smart, it's just... we would never leave Canterlot unprotected. See, when the princesses are away, and even when we're not around, Celestia entrusts her most prized student—second only to you of course—with creating a force shield around the city."

"I... did not know Celestia entrusted any of her students other than me," Twilight answered truthfully.

"I've seen her around a few times. I believe her name is Sunset—"

Twilight eyes slowly widened. Her brother's words were drowned out by her suddenly increasing anger, and fear.

"Unbelievable," she murmured, stepping past her brother before galloping as fast as her hooves could carry her down the dirt road.

"H-hey!" he shouted, raising a hoof as if to reach out to her. "What did I...?"

Shining turned to his sister's friends, who all looked just as taken aback.

Rainbow turned to him first, bearing a smile of reassurance as she unfurled her wings.

"No worries. We'll find out what's got her so stressed."

She sped off, blowing back the manes of everypony with the force of her takeoff.

"Mhm," agreed the remaining four in unison, before galloping off in pursuit.

Twilight's mind was in a haze, her thoughts focusing squarely on finding Celestia.

"Princess! Princess Celestiaaaa—!"

"Twilight?" Twilight's eyes widened as she stopped dead abruptly, gazing up to see Celestia hovering down before her.

Her hooves touched down, and she immediately went to her student's aid.

"What is it? I could hear you halfway across town."

"Princess," she pleaded, "please... I have reason to believe that the changelings aren't after me, o-or Ponyville, but Canterlot!"

"Canterlot?" Celestia pulled her head back, skeptical of the idea. "Why ever would you think—?"

"I believe that Chrysalis never meant the literal sunset. No, I believe that your student Sunset has aligned herself with the changelings!"

Celestia remained silent, narrowing her eyes at the accusation.

"I thought I taught you better than to see the worst in ponies, or to even have such thoughts. I have as much faith in Sunset Shimmer as I do you, Twilight."

Twilight stood impatiently, her gaze drifting past her mentor, and what she saw caused her eyes to grow larger.

"Sunset may be rash, and have a slight temper, but she's also one of the ponies closest to me. No, I have the utmost trust—!"

"I don't mean to interrupt you, Princess... but look!"

The force field that was supposed to be shielding the city was nowhere to be seen, and black smoke billowed into the sky above.

Celestia's eyes slowly widened, trembling at the sight.

"It is not what you think," she softly uttered. "I... refuse to believe...!"

Twilight cautiously raised a hoof. "Princess—"

"Sunset is not responsible!"

Twilight jumped, startled by the outburst.

"No," she continued in a softer tone, her eyes darting back and forth for an answer. "Something... s-something must have happened to her, or... or gotten a hold of her somehow."

Twilight's gaze fell, the quivers in her mentor's voice telling her more than she was willing to let on.

"Twilight!"

Her head perked up slightly at the sound of her name being called, recognizing it as Rainbow's voice.

She glanced back over her shoulder at her five friends. Everypony...

"Twilight! Princess Celestia! What on Earth is going on?"

"Canterlot." Celestia narrowed her eyes up at the capital city. "It is under attack by an unforeseen enemy. My student Sunset Shimmer was left in charge of the city's defenses while Luna and myself left, but I fear something terrible has happened to her in our absence."

"She switched sides," Twilight murmured gravely, urging her teacher to believe her. Her five friends all turning to look at her, their curiosities piqued.

Twilight's eyes averted as Celestia proceeded to glare down at her. "I'm telling you..."

Celestia turned back ahead, looking on towards the city.

"I will get to the bottom of this," she swore, spreading her wings.

"Please," Twilight reached out towards her, "let us—!"

Before she could get another word out, Celestia lifted herself off the ground, en route to the smoldering city.

"Help you..."

Rainbow came up to console her.

"I just don't understand," Twilight lamented, shaking her head. "The princess trusts me completely. In all the years she's been my mentor, she's never once doubted me..."