• Published 26th Nov 2019
  • 305 Views, 8 Comments

In The Beginning - flutterJackdash

  • ...
 8
 305

4. Pinkie Pie

“You are a very silly pony!” said a bright, bubbly voice from behind her. It had been preceded by the world seeming to go still, freezing in place, no motion in anything, not even light. And light there was, a dazzling array of colors exploding in the sky like nothing she had ever before seen. It amazed her, but then there was the voice from behind her.

A bright pink filly with a shockingly curly pink mane trotted up next to her, and sat on her haunches. She stared at the sky, beaming all the while.

Pinkamena tilted her head, her pin-strait mane cascading down the side of her face and pouring over her snout as she gazed into the bright eyes of this bubbly pink filly.

“Who are you?”

“Potential!” the bright filly answered as she quickly turned to look back into Pinkamena’s eyes.

“What?” asked Pinkamena, raised an eyebrow concealed by her mane.

The bright pink filly suddenly began bouncing around, her color and attitude clashing in every way with the dreariness of the rock farm. She seemed to be emitting a spring-like sound with every movement she made, which only confused Pinkamena more.

“All the rest of the days of your life can be spent smiling! And making other ponies smile! You don’t smile enough now, why don’t you smile Pinkamena?” asked the bright filly, continuing to bounce around Pinkamena.

“I don’t have anything to smile about,” replied Pinkamena, settling onto her haunches and sighing.

“I don’t believe that at all! What about your family? Maude? What about that? They’re here, you love them don’t you?” asked the bright pink filly, continuing her chaotic bouncing dance around Pinkamena.

“I do, yes,” replied Pinkamena.

The bright pink filly halted her hop mid-air, all momentum just gone she stood in air as though on something solid. It was unreal, Pinkamena could not fathom how this was possible. But, she was seeing it with her own eyes.

Then again, nothing about any of this made any sense. Nothing was moving, trees were caught mid-sway in a sudden gust, just suddenly without motion. It was all so much to take in, she was beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed.

The bright filly trotted calmly in front of her and put a hoof on her shoulder, gazing deeply into her dark blue eyes.

“Pinkamena… It’s okay, you’re safe… There’s a lot going on, I know that, but you’ll be okay, and so will your family,” she said.

Pinkamena swallowed a lump in her throat, and nodded at the bright filly.

“You can trust me, okay? You know me better than you think you do, and I know you better than you know yourself, okay?” the bright filly said softly.

Pinkamena nodded again.

“Find your strength,” said the filly, moving her hoof to Pinkamena’s chest and pressing firmly over her heard, “in here. You can get past this, you can survive. Find your laughter, and your smiles, and spread them everywhere… Okay?”

Pinkamena blinked, taking a shuddering breath and nodding.

“I know what you’re thinking about right now, and it’s not okay to think that way. You can do better than that,” said the filly, withdrawing her hoof a moment, before wrapping Pinkamena in a tight hug, “You don’t have to be alone. You have your family, and you can make lots of friends.”

Pinkamena swallowed again, burying her muzzle into the filly’s neck.

The bright pink pony gently rubbed Pinkamena’s back, closing her eyes and nuzzling Pinkamena’s mane.

“You’ll live, Pinkamena… And you will never regret it,” she said softly.

“How…?” asked Pinkamena, her voice brittle.

“Smile. Laugh. Find friends, make them smile. It’s so easy that way, because for every smile you give out, you get two in return that you never even asked for. Right now? This moment is special, it’s important for you… You just won’t understand why until much later.”

Pinkamena sniffled, breath shuddering as she struggled for words.

“I have to wait?”

“To understand? A bit, yes. But to feel better? That won’t take very long, maybe tonight? You could put together something by tonight, I’m sure of that,” said the filly.

“What do you mean?”

The bright pink filly leaned back, taking Pinkamena’s face in her forehooves and gently turning her to face the sky lit up by a sonic rainboom frozen in time.

“Do you see that?”

Pinkamena nodded, “It’s amazing, the greatest thing I’ve ever seen,” she said.

“What do you want to do with that?”

“I want to share it, it’s too special not too!” cried Pinkamena.

The bright filly beamed, and nodded.

“Then share it!” she said.

Pinkamena turned and found only the dusty farmland around her, then everything came back at once. A shockwave of sound and force pushed through the barren land and tossed her mane into an unmanageable curly mess. She stared at the sky, at the flow of colors just washing over everything.

It was amazing, truly. She had to share it, somehow. She was getting an idea of how that would work.