• Published 26th Nov 2019
  • 305 Views, 8 Comments

In The Beginning - flutterJackdash

  • ...
 8
 305

1 Fluttershy

The Wind.

The deafening roar of the wind rushing past her and whipping her mane into the air above her.

The wind, tearing through her wings and ignoring her flailing legs completely.

It was the only sound in the world, nothing else could break through that terrifying barrier of noise. Worse, somehow she had become turned around while in freefall and could no longer see the ground approaching and she was in too much of a panic to correct herself with her wings. She watched in terror as a feather pulled free from her wing and danced in the air, becoming as minute as Cloudsdale had just moments before.

Finally, she just closed her eyes. Resolution, or was this resignation? No matter, dead either way. She took one last breath and tucked her legs to her barrel before everything became quiet and slow all at once. She found a thousand fluttering sensations on her back as she lost so much speed and touched down on the ground gently. She lay on the ground, in the soft damp grass, and refused to open her eyes. It was unbelievable, but maybe that was the thing, that this was too good to be true. She lay in a ball, with her eyes squeezed shut.

A sudden bang broke the silence, followed by the chattering of many panicked creatures, followed by... nothing. All sound had completely erased from existence in an instant. It seemed that everything went still all at once, and then she heard it, a voice. A timid voice, it sounded so familiar, but she didn’t know why.

"It’s okay, Fluttershy... It’s okay...," the voice spoke, quietly and comfortingly. She felt her breathing even out, her heart slow down. Everything had changed, she had fallen from Cloudsdale and was as far from her family and friends as she had ever been. Would Zephyr be okay? What about Rainbow Dash?

"Open your eyes, it’s okay... Everything is okay now, okay?" You're safe and sound, you’re on the ground, and you have nothing else to worry about...," the voice said again. It was so gentle, so kind, but she couldn’t quite place it. It seemed so eerily familiar though.

She took a deep, relaxing, breath before opening her eyes. The first thing she noticed was a cloudburst of pink objects that seemed to hang suspended in the air. Butterflies? And lots of them, too. Why were they so still? Oh no! Had they been hurt?

"No no, it’s okay... They’re okay. Please look at me," said the voice. She swallowed, and obeyed.

She turned to see a filly no bigger than she, a coat of yellow and rosey mane with aquamarine eyes. Wait...

"Are... Are you... What?"

"I'm something inside of you, and I know that’s hard to understand... even a little scary, but please try to understand and listen."

Fluttershy just nodded mutely in response.

"I know that you're scared... You will be for a while yet, but you’ll grow, you’ll get better. It's okay. The only thing that’s happened is a very loud noise has frightened all of the creatures around here," she indicated the squirrels, bunnies, and various birds frozen in mid scatter all around her. It was surreal, what could even do this? She didn’t really understand her own weather magic, let alone the magic of unicorns or other creatures, so this was beyond her.

"What's happening?"

"Right now? Something scary has upset all the creatures, but they trust you... They'll be your friends, just welcome them openly and stay kind... Do you think you might be able to calm them down? I think so, I believe in you," said the other filly with a warm smile.

"Oh... oh my... um... yes, I mean, I think so? Maybe?" she replied.

"Trust me, Fluttershy, you can do this... Nopony can do it better. The creatures need you more than ever right now, so it's time for you to be brave and help them, okay? I think everything will be okay, you'll find your way back ho-"

"Oh! But... Oh but this is ever so nice, just, right here? I mean, so close to the ground? A fall from this height is surely not dangerous, right?"

"True, and you'll find a place down here near the ground someday... But be patient with yourself, and wait for that time. I'll be waiting for you, Fluttershy."

"Oh, I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to interrupt you, that was so rude of me," she said.

"But you feel it, don't you? You're finding a calm, and they'll feel it too, your friends," she said.

Fluttershy felt her breathing, delicately extending a gangly foreleg and observing how rocksteady it was.

"Yes, I think so."

"Good, now I'll join you, and together we'll help these creatures to calm down, okay? Then one day, we'll meet again. You'll see."

"We'll take the very best care of them!"

"Mmhm!"

Fluttershy's clone stepped carefully toward her, and she approached her clone at the same time. Briefly their snouts touched, and all sound returned to the world. The creatures continued to scatter, only now Fluttershy was a pony on a mission. It was time now to help those that were more scared than she was.

"Wait! It's okay" she said softly, as she chased after the bunnies. The explosive noise passed and a gust of forceful wind pushed through the meadow until it was completely calm. She carefully went around and assured each and every creature that had been scared, until finally they all congregated around her at the base of a tree. It had been like talking to other ponies, as though she knew their own language and could speak it fluently. She was in love with all of them, and knew instantly that she'd do anything to protect and care for them.

At that moment a strange tingling sensation erupted from her flank and caused her to look down. Three pink butterflies had appeared there, her cutie mark well and truly earned. She nuzzled a bunny and smiled to herself. She knew now that everything would be alright

Author's Note:

So it begins