• Published 6th Dec 2019
  • 1,675 Views, 34 Comments

Remembering Harmony - milesprower06



Princess Twilight Sparkle reflects on the past months since the defeat of the Storm King and Tempest Shadow, and everything they had lost along the way.

  • ...
4
 34
 1,675

How We Remember

Twilight's ears perked at what sounded like wind whistling through leaves and branches. She felt what she's pretty sure was dirt under her hooves. She could only assume she stood in a forest, judging from the sounds, which was all she could discern, because there was nothing but black all around her.

"H-Hello?" She asked. The breeze was chilly against her coat, and it sent a shiver up her spine.

"M... M-Mercy..." A strained voice echoed through the trees.


Princess Twilight bolted up in bed, nearly sending her comforter flying off of the end of the bed as she drew in several deep breaths, remembering where she was, her castle in Ponyville. She looked over to her bedroom window, and saw the sky begin to glow orange with the imminent rise of the morning sun.

Taking another deep breath, she swung her back legs over and got up out of bed, stretching and taking a few more deep breaths. Starlight was largely unable to combat these recurring nightmares because of how short and sudden they were. For the past three months, the Princess of Friendship found most of her nights like this. Even if she couldn't remember what she had dreamed about, she rarely woke up feeling well rested.

Quickly running a comb through her mane to get rid of the bed head, she stepped out of her bedroom into the corridor, and began to make her way towards the kitchen, wondering if her mind was ever going to give her a break during her sleeping hours. She honestly wasn't sure if it was part of the grieving process, or survivor's guilt. The memorial up in Canterlot was nearing completion, would that grant her any reprieve?

She supposed she would have to wait and see.

Over the last quarter year, nearly all the homes in Ponyville were either repaired or rebuilt, decreasing the size of and eventually eliminating the vast camp that had been placed behind the castle. If she was honest, she badly missed having displaced ponies in here every evening and morning, it gave the castle a badly needed life to its halls. But as homes were rebuilt, the castle began to empty out, as did the camp behind it, which had been an almost nightly gathering spot for snacks and songs.

Now that the town was beginning to inch back towards what could be considered normal, Twilight began feeling as empty as her castle. In the first month, funeral services were held almost daily for the lives lost in Canterlot. She had made it a point to personally attend as many as she possibly could, watching as the cemetery on the west side of town expanded faster than in any other time in the town's history.

Knowing that she wouldn't be able to bear attending all of the separate services of her fallen friends, she had asked each of their families if they would agree to a group service for the six heroes who had met their ends in Canterlot. Completely understanding the Princess of Friendship's point of view, they all agreed. She wasn't able to keep it together during her dedication, and truth be told, there wasn't a dry eye in the group of hundreds who had come to pay their last respects to the modern heroes of Equestria. Twilight had hoped that it would start to get better after that, but seeing how there was nothing left to bury, her emotional state didn't improve much. The ghosts of the past were all around her. Sugarcube Corner, Carousel Boutique, the cottage, the farm, and the weather patrol all reminded her of the friendships that had been cut short.

For as brutally as she had defeated the Storm King in the throne room of Canterlot Castle, it wasn't that action that was keeping her restless at night. No, what she still had trouble accepting in hindsight was what she had done to his lieutenant, Tempest Shadow, outside an old cave-turned-mineshaft in the town of Foal's Peak. After following residual traces of her magic down the northeast coast, she had descended to a small town, that had been massacred by offensive spells. Because she wasn't going to risk Tempest getting away, she hadn't taken the time to look for survivors. It had been a close match, but Twilight triumphed with the amplified power of three alicorns and the Elements of Harmony.

When the crippled unicorn had asked for mercy, Twilight blasted her into the cave, and collapsed it down on her, along with half the mountain, burying her barely alive. The look of fear in her eyes had stuck with the Princess of Friendship every day since.

When the dust had literally settled from their fight in front of the mountain, a small detachment of E.U.P. came down and confirmed that there hadn't been any survivors hiding; forty ponies had been killed in the streets and in their homes. It was one of the most horrifying things she had ever seen, and so far, the only residents lucky enough to escape had been away on travel; an old mare and her grandson. The E.U.P. had directed them to Ponyville, and Twilight had put them up in one of the castle guest rooms while she figured things out. It didn't surprise her when she came into the kitchen and saw the elder earth mare already there, pouring a fresh cup of hot coffee.

"Good morning, Quartz Crystal. How's Citrine?" Twilight asked, grabbing a clean cup of her own.

"Sleeping in. She's been improving."

"I'd actually like to talk to you about her situation, and yours. I'll be honest, I really don't see Foal's Peak recovering, at all." Twilight told her.

"I've started to come to the same conclusion, Princess. Hard not to expect something like that when nearly the entire population is wiped out. Pour souls..."

"Miss Cheerilee's classes are starting up in a few weeks. If you'd like, I can assist however I can in helping you and Citrine settle permanently in Ponyville." Twilight offered.

"Th... Thank you, Your Highness. It would probably be an easier transition for Citrine than if we were to move somewhere bigger. I know things will only get better as further rebuilding is done."

"I know it's a daunting task, but if you'd like to return to Foal's Peak and help with laying the victims to rest, we can arrange foal care services."

"I don't think I'll be going back, Princess. Besides, last I heard, somepony has already started with that."

"Really? Somepony else made it out?" Twilight asked.

"No, she had moved away quite some time ago. Her name is Glitter Drops. When she heard what happened, she returned and has been working with your E.U.P. squad for the past couple weeks."