• Published 15th Mar 2020
  • 1,041 Views, 7 Comments

A Pegasus Promise - Waterwindearthfire



In a tragedy's aftermath, Fluttershy will take on her to honor a promise she made to a dear friend.

  • ...
4
 7
 1,041

Chapter 6 - Blooming Anew

Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness in thinking creates profoundness.
Kindness in giving creates love.
- Lao Tzu, earth pony -

“Oh! My! Sweet! Celestia! This is bothering me to no end!”

Rarity dropped the eraser. She had reviewed that design several times over the last week and was still annoyed. Although she was confident that she had not only met all the requirements but even created another couture gem, something was amiss.

The dress that would result from her work would be superb, undoubtedly, but it would not represent its owner. And Rarity still couldn't figure out why.

Lost in thought, her eyes eventually fell on the other dress in her shop, her most sublime creation, the black dress she had designed for Fluttershy in anticipation of Rainbow's funeral.

Proudly displayed on the central ponyquin, the black dress hadn't been moved for four months, since Rainbow was buried. Rarity always felt a deep sadness when she laid eyes on the elegant dress as the glow of the jewels that adorned it often reminded her and Fluttershy of the one that had left them.

She had put all her ardor, talent and tears into the making of this treasure that she had willingly given to Fluttershy.

But now Rarity feared she had lost her magic touch making Fluttershy's dress. She laid her eyes one more time on her newest sketch, looking for the problem.

This simply won’t do! Is it because of the jewels? Some of the accessories maybe? What can I possibly be missing? Think Rarity, think, think, think!

The unicorn gently massaged her temples, dreading the long hours ahead. And although her client wasn't expecting her dress for another three months, Rarity had already fallen behind on her original schedule. But never would she dare start cutting the fabric without being sure of the final design.

Using her magic, Rarity picked up a pencil through her… artistic mess. The movement of the pencil pushed away a few sheets of incomplete sketches that gently landed on the floor among other sketches and some poorly sharpened pencils.

After a tiny sigh, Rarity leaned back over her sketch again, studying the patterns, the curves of the dress and its dimensions. She placed the tip of her pencil on the paper and drew an elegant line...

Until the pencil’s tip suddenly broke, leaving a trail of lead on the paper.

Very much like the pencil, Rarity's patience had just broken.

“Oh you little, insufferable and vile inanimate object!” began Rarity, ready to break the pencil into dozens of pieces and throw them away to the other side of the room.

Fortunately, before she could sketch out a single gesture, the front door of the shop opened, ringing a small bell, and a melodious voice called out her name from the entrance hall.

“Rarity?”

Oh! My sweet Fluttershy!

Rarity wisely regained control of her emotions. Her name resounded like a charming melody rocked by the tenderness of Fluttershy's tone. As Rarity put down the pencil and tried to put up a serene facade, discrete steps announced Fluttershy's arrival in the room.

“Rarity,” Fluttershy repeated softly one more time when she saw her friend. “I’m back home.”

Recently, Fluttershy had confessed to Rarity that she had started to consider Carrousel Boutique as a second home, a place where she felt safe. But what Fluttershy didn't know was how moved Rarity had been by this revelation.

And from that day on, those simple words always managed to fill Rarity's heart with happiness and warmth.

“Welcome home dear”, replied back Rarity with a little smile.

Fluttershy gave her a shy smile back. Then she walked into the room, towards Rarity, her smile turning into a worried expression.

“What’s wrong Rarity? You look... exasperated.”

“I... Well, yes!” Rarity marveled at Fluttershy’s insight. “Though it’s hardly something of importance... How could you tell by just looking at me?”

Fluttershy laughed melodically.

“I’m starting to get better at knowing you. And...”

Fluttershy showed Rarity the mess in the shop.

“This chaos might have given me a clue.”

“Oh my,” Rarity said with a chuckle, “It really does look a little bit messy isn’t it? I think it’s time I call it a day.”

“Good idea Rarity, you look very tired, you need to take a break.”

Fluttershy's face suddenly lit up and she grabbed Rarity's hooves between hers.

“Rarity, I’ve just thought of something. Let’s go to the spa, just you and me!”

If Rarity was at first surprised by Fluttershy's offer, it was with a sincere smile that she responded to her friend.

“What a sweet and marvelous idea, Fluttershy, I gladly accept your lovely invitation. Let me grab my purse and we’ll be on our way.”

“Oh! Um... No, please,” timidly intervened Fluttershy. “I... I mean, it’s on me this time. I’ve been trying to figure out how to thank you for all you have been doing for me, for taking care of me and helping me every time. So I... I really, really want to treat you to the spa.”

“Fluttershy, I assure you that you don’t need to feel like you owe me something, it has been a pleasure to have you here and...”

“Rarity, I’m trying to be assertive, kind but assertive, so please don’t make this hard for me.”

Fluttershy’s shy but nevertheless cute attempt made Rarity laugh. Fluttershy joined in soon after.

“You win dear,'' said Rarity once she regained her composure. “I’ll let you treat me to the spa. Oh! Fluttershy?”

“Yes?”

“Thank you. I’m glad to have you around.”

“You’re welcome Rarity.”

Fluttershy displayed an air of triumph, proud to have stood her ground and won.

_________________________________________

A few hours later, the two friends were basking in the warm water of the spa.

Rarity had spent a lot of time praising Fluttershy’s constant progress.

Fluttershy had managed to change her fate and happiness was finally making its way into her heart.

And from that day on, Fluttershy had only moved forward. Rarity was nothing but happy, of course, and yet…

“Fluttershy, we don’t hang out together as much as I’d like to,” admitted Rarity while tenderly smoothing the sensitive feathers on Fluttershy’s left wing. “If only I could find what’s wrong with the dress I’m working on, I could spend more time with you.”

Fluttershy was too happy to let Rarity lead the conversation, allowing herself to be pampered. She let the unicorn play with her long pink mane as she so loved to do. It was one of Rarity’s simple pleasures that Fluttershy would never dare to take away from her.

After all, it was also pleasant for her.

When Rarity began to smooth out the feathers on her wing, the one she couldn't reach well because of her wounds, Fluttershy began to sigh. A happy sigh. The softness of Rarity's hooves were a soothing balm over the pain her training was causing.

A good pain after all, since it testified of her progress.

The massage did her a lot of good, but soon she had to start fighting a growing desire in her lower abdomen. Her entire attention was focused on not moaning too much, as she did every time Rarity stroked her sensitive feathers.

Fluttershy was convinced that Rarity had noticed the subtle change in her moaning. She had probably sensed that Fluttershy’s simple pleasure had made place for a burning desire, a growing need. Fluttershy just had to wait a little bit more for Rarity to stop the massage and give her a little respite, like she always did.

Ra… Rarity?

To her surprise, Rarity did not stop. She began to massage other parts of her body, adding to the excitement she felt rising inside her. Fluttershy could no longer suppress the thrill. Everywhere, under Rarity’s caresses, Fluttershy's skin shivered with pleasure.

Oh! My! Goodness! St… stop teasing me Rarity!

Her cheeks were on fire and her breath became shaky under the effect of intense impulses. She was no longer able to think clearly. She needed a distraction.

Fast.

When Rarity confessed her regret, she jumped at the opportunity.

“Teach me Rarity!” almost cried Fluttershy, panting and burning with desire.

“Wha... what do you mean Fluttershy?”

To Fluttershy's great relief, her reply had managed to distract Rarity long enough for her to interrupt her massage.

The wave of desire that had overwhelmed her slowly receded and she turned to face Rarity.

To her astonishment, when she saw Rarity's expression, Fluttershy realized just how confused her friend was. Rarity was so focused, lost in her thoughts about her dress, that she probably hadn't even noticed what had just happened between them, what she had triggered in her body.

Fluttershy should have felt relieved. Why then was she disappointed? Why then was she hoping Rarity to sensually start massaging, caressing, touching her body again?

What am I thinking. She’s just a friend, Fluttershy! Nothing more! Don’t do something stupid!

“You... You said that you would like to spend more time with me but working on your dress takes too much of your time. I... I say teach me how to make dresses. We can spend time in the workshop, together. I can help, even if it’s just a little.”

Then she waited in awkward silence, barely daring to look at Rarity.

Rarity had a puzzled look. She was seriously evaluating Fluttershy's proposal.

“Teach you, you say?” pondered Rarity. “I surely could use some help at the boutique and teaching could be an interesting opportunity. But you, Fluttershy, are you sure you want to do this?”

“Yes, I’m sure,” simply replied Fluttershy with a big smile.

Rarity also had a wonderful smile on her face.

“Then I accept! Of course I accept! My dear Fluttershy, you don't realize how much you mean to me. Now, more than ever, so thank you! Thank you so much, Fluttershy!”

Rarity tenderly embraced the pegasus. And Fluttershy, very moved, returned the gesture with affection.

“It’s a pleasure Rarity. You have done so much for me in the past few months that I want to do the same for you. I also want to spend more time with you.”

“Oh, we will! We are going to have so much fun!”

_________________________________________

At the counter, Fluttershy took care of the bill as she insisted while Rarity waited patiently by her side.

“Thank you dear, but know that next time will be on me.”

Fluttershy turned her head towards her friend.

“Rarity it’s okay this was a gift I’m not expecting you to...”

“Fluttershy, I’m trying to be generous. Charming and generous,” teased Rarity “So please don’t make this hard for me.”

Remembering her own words from earlier, Fluttershy couldn't help but laugh heartily followed closely by Rarity.

After greeting Aloe and Lotus, they both walked out of the Spa.

Left alone at the counter, Lotus turned to her sister, her two big eyes sparkling with happiness.

“Miss Fluttershy looks better don’t you think?”

“Yes, I thought so too. It’s reassuring to see that miss Rarity took such great care of her friend,”

Friend? Seriously Aloe? We know they’ve been living together for a while. And now? Look at them! They are paying each other’s spa bill! I’m telling you, these two have been sleeping...”

_________________________________________

“... together? Yes I think we can manage to work together on some ensembles. I will take care of the most difficult task while you, my dear Fluttershy, will help me with the minor task. I have no doubt you’ll be a perfect...”

_________________________________________

“...bottom! She has to be, Aloe! Miss Fluttershy is too pure and innocent. She wouldn’t dare to be the...”

_________________________________________

“... top! And I’m always aiming for it, Fluttershy, but I want you too tell me if I’m putting you in a embarrassing...”

_________________________________________

“... position Lotus, we are care provider not a matchmaking service. Their relation is not our concern until they tell us about it.”

“But Aloe! You have to admit, it’s almost a certainty! And I must say I’m a little jealous. I mean, Rarity has such a nice...”

_________________________________________

“... plot! It was exquisite. All that love and devotion! That book has been a source of inspiration ever since I read it. I’m sure you’ll love it Fluttershy.”

“Thanks, I’ll take good care of it.”

“Oh I’m sure you will. But I must warn you that it contains some scenes that are quite...”

_________________________________________

“... sexual! I mean, do they not feel the tension? Even our sauna can’t produce that much heat! Everytime I come in, I feel like I’m intruding on something special.”

“I know the feeling Lotus. And in retrospection, we should not be surprised. After all we did prank miss Rarity into teaching her some ways to make a pegasus...”

_________________________________________

“... very excited Rarity. They all are whenever I go to the cottage. They all gather around and they have so much to tell.”

“Alright Fluttershy. I’ll go with you tomorrow. We will feed your animals. It will give me a well deserved break from work. Oh! Sweet Celestia, it’s getting late dear, shall we go to bed?”

“Yes, please. Wow, we’ve been talking a lot, I’m exhausted.”

_________________________________________

“It’s love, I can’t see it another way Aloe. Our favorite clients are in love... I call it, it has to be or I’m doing something wrong.”

“Yeah! Your job!”

Aloe joyfully threw a towel at Lotus.

“Now fold the laundry Lotus, so we can close the spa and get home where you’ll have all the time to fantasize about miss Rarity.”

“Okay, okay. I see how it is. What about you Aloe? Who would you date between miss Rarity and miss Fluttershy?”

Aloe winked at her sister

“Miss Fluttershy of course. She’s the best choice!”

“NOW LISTEN HERE YOU LITTLE...”

They closed the spa, laughing and teasing each other.

_________________________________________

“Magnificent work Fluttershy! This scarf is simply exquisite! Who knew you had such talent hidden inside of you?”

“It’s all because of your teaching Rarity. You gave me some great advice.”

“Oh please dear, my teaching could not have produced such an interesting pattern. This one’s all yours. And it’s lovely.”

Rarity was holding the fruits of Fluttershy's efforts in her hooves.

A purple scarf with a subtle gradation of two darker shades of purple towards the tips which only the eye of an expert, such as Rarity, could detect.

The most incredible thing, however, was the fine details that held the scarf’s padding in place. The seams, a fine line of white thread, were arranged in crystals of the same shape as those that adorned Rarity's side. Together, the crystals formed a bunch of elegant snowflakes that grew bigger towards each of the scarf’s ends..

Fluttershy had worked hard over the past two months, between her flying sessions, to implement Rarity's advice and produce this scarf that she felt so proud of.

Rarity, for her part, could not help but appreciate Fluttershy's innate talent for fashion. She knew that the pegasus had an interest for it, but she could never have imagined the ease with which Fluttershy had learned the fundamentals of sewing. They’ve been at it for no more than two months and yet...

Rarity had found much more than just a talented and dedicated student. She had found a partner. With Fluttershy by her side, the unicorn felt more inspired than ever. She had thought her work was enjoyable before, but since she and Fluttershy had started working together in the studio, Rarity was adoring her work.

Fluttershy would always bring judicious remarks that the unicorn didn't always think of. And on several occasions, many of Rarity's sketches became more complex as they became the product of two minds. Under their combined efforts, Rarity continually explored new styles that she and Fluttershy were eager to try out as soon as possible.

Fluttershy still had a lot to learn about the art of the dress but Rarity had already asked her to work with her on future projects. To which Fluttershy gladly agreed.

“I’m happy you love the scarf Rarity. Because it’s yours. I did it for you. As a token of appreciation for the dress you made for me.”

“Oh Fluttershy! Come here, you!” Rarity happily replied, hugging Fluttershy in a tight embrace. “I’m so lucky to have you around. Thank you so much for the scarf. I’ll wear it as soon as winter comes.”

“You are very welcome Rarity. It’ll keep you warm,” whispered Fluttershy in Rarity’s ear, hugging her back.

“I love warmth,” replied Rarity with the same sweet whisper.

“Me too,”

Still sharing their embrace, neither Fluttershy or Rarity knew if they were still talking about the scarf.

_________________________________________

Fall season has arrived in full force. The leaves were turning red, orange or yellow. They were beautiful but they would soon start falling, blown away by the cold breeze.

Fluttershy felt a chill down her spine, her wings trembled, feathers fluttering.

“How’s ya wing Fluttershy? You hurtin’ from practise? You can tell Redheart to take it easy ya know.”

Fluttershy smiled.

“Oh no Applejack, I’m fine. It’s just a little chill, that’s all. And... I’m not practising with Redheart anymore...”

“Huh? Ya... Ya had a fight or somethin’?”

“No, nothing of the sorts. She just thinks that I don’t need help anymore, that my rehabilitation is complete. So she will be helping other patients.”

“It... sounds like a good thing... So why do ya look so glum?”

“I’m a little sad it has to end... These sessions mean a lot to me...”

Fluttershy took a deep breath.

“But it's okay! I’m okay with my session ending. After all I have...”

“... Yes? Ya have what?”

“I... huh... I have a... a better confidence in myself”

It was Applejack's turn to smile.

“Ya truly do.”

Fluttershy turned around to hide her blushing face from Applejack. She almost said Rarity and for a strange reason she shied away and blurted something else.

Why am I reacting like this? As long as I have Rarity close by, everything turns out fine. I shouldn’t be embarrassed to say it.

As soon as Rarity had some free-time, she spent it with Fluttershy. Fluttershy was charmed by each of Rarity's little attention towards her. She loved the reassuring presence of her friend beside her, which protected her from the torments of loneliness.

It was similar to the friendship she once had with Rainbow.

Was... because Fluttershy had to admit that it started to feel somewhat different.

When Rainbow friendly ruffled her hair, she would never blush as she did whenever Rarity tenderly stroked her hair.

And when Rainbow would accidentally graze Fluttershy, and their flanks touched each other, she felt no discomfort. But when the same thing happened with Rarity, Fluttershy felt strange shivers crawling all over her body.

And that particular session at the spa! Even months later, Fluttershy could never forget the feeling that overwhelmed her at that moment. She could easily remember the feeling of Rarity’s caress all over her body. She had failed to stifle some moans of desire at that time.

Luckily for her, Rarity was too focused on her thoughts to grasp the situation. It didn’t have any impact on their friendship. Or did it...

Is... is that only friendship I feel? Am I.... falling in love.... with Rarity? And if yes, how does she feel about me? ...Oh Fluttershy! Look at you! You’re so silly, you shouldn’t have these kinds of thoughts...

“... mmer please?”

Fluttershy shook her head

“I’m sorry... What?”

“Can ya pass me the hammer, please?”

“Oh! Yes! Right away Applejack!”

“Ya’ve been quiet for quite some times sugarcube. Ah almost thought I lost my partner for a second there. Do ya need some time off or ya’re still good to repair the fence?”

“I’m sorry, I was thinking about something and I ended up lost in my mind. But it’s fine, I’m fine! And I really want to repair the fence today. So thank you for coming all this way to help.”

“Ah wouldn't be much of a friend if I didn't lend a hoof when ya needed one, so don't ya sweat the small stuff, t'was my pleasure ta help ya. And I also had mah reasons. Ya remember 'bout the surprise I told you a few months ago?”

“I... think I do?”

“ Well, it's almost finished! Pinkie helped me to get som'things done so everything's gonna be ready soon. In three days, Rarity and ya're invited to Sweet Apple Acres to a soirée to celebrate all your hard work and showin' ya mah tribute to Rainbow. Can ya tell Rarity for me?

“Of course Applejack. I’m sure Rarity will be pleased”

“Thanks. And now, let’s get t’work these hooves!”

Applejack winked at Fluttershy, who responded with a shy smile.

_________________________________________

While Fluttershy and Applejack were working hard, Rarity was trying to figure out her biggest puzzle. The mystery of the dress in her workshop. It seemed to taunt her every time she laid eyes on it, challenging her to find out what was wrong with it.

The deadline was coming up at the end of the month and she still hadn't gotten past the sketching stage.

That was annoying and somewhat worrisome.

Rarity had the shop to herself since Fluttershy was gone at her cottage to do some chores. That upset her a little, she could have used Fluttershy’s insight to resolve this mystery. And since working with Fluttershy was much nicer, the studio always seemed duller when the pegasus wasn't there.

Before getting down to work, Rarity stopped by the kitchen to make some tea that she could enjoy while working on her sketch. As soon as she put the kettle on the stove, her front door opened with a loud bang.

Far from being surprised, Rarity could almost already guess the identity of the intruder who had just invited itself into her home. An overexcited voice finally convinced her.

“RARITYYYYY! RARITYYYYY!”

The voice became louder and louder as the sound of a gallop towards the kitchen was heard.

“RARI... OH! There you are!”

Rarity's little sister stopped her cavalcade as soon as she saw her.

“Hello Sweetie Belle. How nice of you to join me. By any chance, would you have forgotten about ringing the doorbell like I told you last time?”

“I... I’m sorry Rarity, I just forget because it doesn’t look that important to me.”

“Well, it will become important at some point in your life Sweetie. Not just the doorbell of course... What I’m trying to teach you are manners. It’s important to have good manners, ponies tend to be more kind with somepony who shows an ounce of decency.”

“Ounce of decenwhatnow?”

“Aaaaand it seems like it’s gonna be a lesson for another day... So, what brings you here Sweetie?”

“I need to talk to you about something important.”

“Oh really? What is it?”

Before Sweetie had time to tell anything, the kettle made a shrill sound. The water was ready to be poured and the tea was ready to be brewed.

“Oh I’m sorry Sweetie. Can this wait just a few more minutes?”

Sweetie nodded.

“Perfect! Be a dear and go wait for me in the workshop. I’ll just finish things here and we will have some tea while I listen to your important thing. Is that good?”

“Okay.”

Rarity put a blend of leaves in the kettle, took two cups and magically lifted the whole tray. She made her way to her workshop.

When she entered the room, Sweetie Belle was perched on top of her table, looking at the drawing she was meant to work on.

“Careful Sweetie! I beg you! I can’t lose whatever small progress I made on this design. So please come and join me so we can talk,” invited Rarity while magically gathering a pile of purple cushions for them to comfortably sit on.

Once her sister was nicely tucked next to her, Rarity started pouring tea in her cup. A subtle cinnamon’s aroma started pleasantly floating in the air. Rarity’s favorite tea was already making wonders as the unicorn felt her body relax.

“Now, what did you want to talk about?” asked Rarity, carefully holding the cup, waiting for her sister to take it.

“Well... We had a discussion at school today,” began Sweetie, holding her cup with her hooves. “It was about love. About our important somepony.”

“Oh my! Such an interesting subject!” beamed Rarity. “So what about it Sweetie?”

“Miss Cheerilee talked about the signs that shows we have a special somepony, like making plans with them, wanting to spend time with them. She also said that when you truly love somepony you’re ready to do empre... imporba...”

Improbable?”

“Yeah! That’s the word! Miss Cherilee said that when you truly love somepony you’re ready to do imporbable things for them, things to show them how you care and love them.”

Rarity didn’t even try to correct her.

“Well, Miss Cheerilee seems to be a smart mare. More importantly, she’s right Sweetie. Being in love usually changes you for the better. You might end up doing things you wouldn’t normally do on your own, just for the sake of that important somepony. In the end, it’s not so hard to imagine you might end up making things together like projects, travels. Have foals, maybe.”

Ahhhh summer filly love, how exquisite…

Rarity smiled. She was happy that her sister started to take interest in the affair of love. She was at that age and Rarity was more than happy to answer whatever question Sweetie would have.

“Is there someone in this room who would be in love by any chance?” teased Rarity.

“Well, yes. You are!”

Rarity was so surprised that it took several seconds before she regained her composure.

“Ex… Excuse me, Sweetie, surely I misunderstood, you said I am in love? That is news... To me, at least. And who, if you please, is the lucky one?”

“Fluttershy,” simply said Sweetie Belle without flinching as Rarity started choking on her tea.

“I... WHAAAAT?” said Rarity in a high-pitched voice, heart pounding. “Now hold on just a second Sweetie Belle!”

Deep breath Rarity! Deep breath! in and out, in and out... aaaand calm...

“Sweetie, what could possibly make you think I am in love with Fluttershy?” finally asked Rarity in a more normal voice.

Well you kinda do everything with Fluttershy now, and... and I really, really like Fluttershy. But I could not do all these imporbable things for her like you do. You go to the spa with her, you go on long walks with her, you work on dresses and cook and tend the garden with her. A garden, Rarity. You. Tend. A. Garden!” said Sweetie Belle as if all of this was evidence.

“But... but these thing can hardly qualifies as proof that I am in love with Fluttershy,”

“It’s not just that! You took care of her when she was at the hospital, you helped her bathe when she was hurt, you sang her to sleep often. And once she was out of the hospital, you invited her to stay here.”

“That is only natural, Sweetie! I don’t...”

“You are living together and you want to work with her in the future! I might be young but I can tell you are different when she’s around, you smile more often. Your dresses are more beautiful because you work on them together. I can tell there is something about you two. See! Even now! You’ve been beet red since I said you love her!”

“Okay, okay! You made your point! You provide some very insightful arguments... It’s just that... I... I never quite saw my relationship with Fluttershy like this... I think?”

“Why not? Fluttershy is a kind mare. I like her. She could be a very nice somepony and I can tell you are happier when she’s around. So why not? I wouldn’t mind if she was your somepony.

“I don’t think I would mind either Sweetie, I... I just never envisioned things that way before.”

“I felt like I had to tell you, because you didn’t seem to see all those signs! I’m sorry if it has made you uncomfortable... I didn’t want to trouble you.”

“Oh Sweetie!” said Rarity, bringing her sister in a tight embrace that made her giggle. “This is certainly not the conversation I was thinking we would have, but I am glad nonetheless. I know that I like Fluttershy a lot and yes, maybe I have started to get feelings for her, but that is something I will have to look for myself when my emotions will have calmed down. I just can’t think straight now.”

She then let go of Sweetie Belle and took another sip of tea, she needed to think about other things. She really did. Her sister’s words were... impactful to say the least. She needed a distraction.

She looked at Sweetie Belle who was carefully drinking her hot tea.

“Say Sweetie, was the rest of your day uneventful or did Cheerilee mentioned other mind-blowing subjects?“”

_________________________________________

An hour had passed while the two sisters energetically discussed their day. The sky was beginning to turn dark when Rarity decided that her sister should return to their parent's house.

Just before she left, Sweetie Belle confided one last thing to her sister.

“I like your design,” said Sweetie Belle showing the drawing on Rarity’s workbench. “I bet Fluttershy will love her dress.”

“What? that dress? Oh no, no, no. It’s not for her, Sweetie.”

“Are... Are you kidding me? Are you sure it’s not for Fluttershy?”

“Positively, why?”

“The dress is green...”

“Yes, to match the buttery coat of my client!”

“Some of the accessories are pink...”

“Pink complements green perfectly I’ll have you know!”

“You designed a butterfly brooch!”

“I most certainly... did...not?”

A quick glance at her sketch however, told her otherwise.

The evidence was there, in the lead line of the sketch. Her sister was right, she had added these details and colors without even realizing it.

“Oh! My! Sweet Celestia! you are right! This... this is a dress for Fluttershy!”

“Told you!” said Sweetie Belle with a victorious smile. “I have to go now, bye Rarity! I love you!”

“Love you more!” distractedly replied back Rarity as she bent over the sketch once again.

Rarity vaguely heard the bell on her door chimed as Sweetie Belle made her exit. Her mind was entirely focused on the piece of paper on her desk.

That was it!

The thing that bothered Rarity from the beginning was the fact that she was designing a dress for the wrong owner. She designed the dress with the unconscious thought of another mare in mind.

A pegasus that she had learned to appreciate over the days spent in her company.

A pegasus to whom she taught the art of dress and who would become a work partner and with whom she tended a garden, a project she would never have done of her own volition.

The same pegasus who lived with her and shared her bed, with whom she confided and took pleasure in cajoling.

Maybe Sweetie Belle was right after all, her heart seemed to try to tell her something, and for once she was interested to listen to it.

She leaned back over the sketch again, overwhelmed with those happy memories, and a smile blossomed on her face. Now that she knew what was wrong with the dress, she had a thousand ideas for altering it.

_________________________________________

Rarity put the finishing touches on the sketch. She could start working on the cutting and assembly the very next day. She was truly happy with the result and for once, she could say that the dress would really belong to the right owner.

It was so simple, and yet, without her sister's advice, Rarity would still be at the drawing board looking for something that should have jumped right out at her.

The front doorbell rang joyfully and a gentle step was heard towards the workshop. Rarity turned around just in time to see Fluttershy enter.

The cool evening air had coloured her cheeks with a subtle tint of red, could not help but notice Rarity.

“Rarity, I’m back home,” said Fluttershy with a beautiful smile.

“Welcome home, dear,” said Rarity with an equally charming smile.

These three words had never sounded so wonderful to Rarity’s ear.

“How was your day Fluttershy?”

And Fluttershy told her all about it while Rarity listened quietly, smiling. These days, Fluttershy's passion ignited her speeches, and her stories always ended up putting Rarity in a cheerful mood.

This time around was no exception, and Rarity found that hearing Fluttershy tell of her adventures plunged her into a bewitching serenity. She loved those moments with her friend.

“Oh! Rarity?”

“Yes, dear?”

“Applejack would like to invite us for a soirée in three days. Would you... would you like to go with me?”

“A soirée? Heaven’s yes! It would be a pleasure!”

Fluttershy had a happy little laugh.

“I’m happy to hear that Rarity,” blushed Fluttershy. “I really am.”

Suddenly, Rarity grabbed Fluttershy’s hooves between her own. Her eyes were shining with hope.

“Fluttershy darling, if we are to go to this event, can I be selfish enough to make a request?”

“What is it? I’ll be happy to oblige if I can.”

“Could you...” cautiously began Rarity. “Could you wear your dress for the event?”

Fluttershy glanced at her precious dress.

Her expression became worried and Rarity waited for her response in a frozen silence. The unicorn didn't even dare to breathe as the silence of the pegasus kept on going.

“I... I don’t know what to say,” finally said Fluttershy. “I... I guess it’s time I start using it more often. I... I mean you did spend a lot of time on it. It would be a shame to not wear it from time to time.”

Her eyes returned to Rarity's who took a deep breath, impressed by the determination she could read in them

“Okay, Rarity! I... I will wear my dress at Applejack’s soirée!”

Rarity breathed a sigh of relief.

“And I will wear your scarf, darling. Evening tends to be a lot cooler these days. And I’m eager to wear the scarf you put so much effort into,” said Rarity with a genuine smile.

“Yay!” said Fluttershy, clapping her hooves with overflowing joy. “Oh! It’s getting late! I should start supper!”

Fluttershy headed for the exit. But just before leaving the room, she gave Rarity one last look.

“Don’t come near the kitchen, I want to surprise you! And no peeking okay?” begged Fluttershy

“I promise I won’t,” said Rarity with a little laugh. “Thank you dear, I’ll leave the supper to you.”

The answer seemed to satisfy Fluttershy.

“Great! I’ll let you work on your things now.”

As Fluttershy trotted happily towards the kitchen, to prepare her mysterious supper, Rarity returned to her workbench, her heart fluttering. She suddenly had a lot of inspiration.

A ballet of ribbons, fabrics, threads and needles surrounded her as she let herself be swept away by a whirlwind of creativity.

Fluttershy had never ceased to bring her comfort and joy in every one of the charming little attentions. Remembering her sister's words earlier in the day, Rarity could not help but wonder who had changed the most for the benefit of the other.

Fluttershy or her?

The answer seemed obvious to her.

Thank you for everything, my dear Fluttershy.

_________________________________________

Fluttershy put the plates on the table. Rarity had recently delighted her with her favourite meal, she wanted to do the same.

Once she discovered the surprise, Rarity became speechless, charmed by Fluttershy's efforts.

They enjoyed a meal with, as a starter, a salad with nuts, cheese, tomatoes and olive oil. The main course consisted of a truffle and lentil gratin and a rosemary sweet potato side dish.

To top it all off, Fluttershy, having long searched for her host's favourite dessert, proudly presented to Rarity a raspberry yogurt cake topped with a layer of dark chocolate chips. All served with two bottles of good wine.

Rarity spent a pleasant evening away from the stress of her busy schedule. Fluttershy, on her part, was simply and sincerely enjoying her friend's delight.

If Rarity was happy, so was she. That was all that mattered.

_________________________________________

Shortly after supper, Rarity suggested to Fluttershy that she accompany her to share a digestif. She had opened a bottle of "Special Berry Punch" vermouth.

Rarity and Fluttershy had spent the rest of the evening talking for a long, comforting time They finished the bottle late at night.

At bedtime, comfortably tucked under the blankets, Fluttershy, half asleep and a little drunk, surprised Rarity by kissing her tenderly on the cheek.

“Good night Rarity,” Fluttershy whispered gently as she curled up against Rarity.

Although alcohol played a major role in this, Rarity felt her cheek getting hot under the effect of Fluttershy’s kiss. The kiss had surprised her, but she certainly did not regret it.

Fluttershy, you're so bold! I would never have thought you capable of such a thing, Rarity wondered, but after a few seconds, she nevertheless allowed herself a smile and laid a tender kiss on the forehead of the pegasus.

“Good night, my darling, and thank you for the supper,” whispered Rarity. “It was lovely.”

_________________________________________

Three days later, after a short visit to Rainbow's grave, Fluttershy and Rarity happily discovered Applejack's surprise.

A cider tasting event.

Applejack, after a surprising harvest of zap apples, had succeeded in creating a very special cider in honor of Rainbow and Fluttershy; the "Shy Rainbow Cider". Fluttershy was given the very first bottle of this rainbow-coloured cider.

The transparent bottle showed five slices of different colors. Each colored section was separated from the other by a thin layer of ice that prevented the mixing of the different liquids while allowing the cider to remain always cool.

The instructions were simple. Taste each of the unique ciders. A stem was provided with each bottle to break the delicate layer of ice that protected the next section to be enjoyed.

Fluttershy took her first sip.

The red layer was an ordinary apple ice cider, used to titillate the taste buds in order to whet the appetite.

It’s so good! But it was to be expected, it’s Applejack’s cider after all.

Then came the yellow layer.

Huh? Wow! I can taste honey in it! And it’s subtle, not aggressive. Just the perfect mix! That is fantastic!

The green layer was even sweeter that the previous one.

Oh! There’s caramel in this one, it’s so creamy! I really, really like this one. It’s getting better everytime. I can’t wait for the next one!

The blue layer was an ambitious mix of apple cider and cinnamon that surprised everypony.

Spicy? Is that cinnamon? I wasn’t expecting this, it’s a surprisingly refreshing taste. It’s even better after the sweet caramel one. How bold of you Applejack!

The last purple layer was a cider mix with dark chocolate. A unique and delicious taste that offered a perfect finish to the "Shy Rainbow Cider".

Oh Applejack, you really pushed your limits for that one! And it’s so good! That last part, especially, is sure to please a certain unicorn I know.

The cider was a marvel of ingeniosity that earned Applejack a loud cheer, satisfied although somewhat embarrassed by all these compliments.

As always when Applejack made cider, the event attracted a large portion of Ponyville’s population who were absolutely stunned with the result of the whole Apple family's work.

Fluttershy, dressed in her black dress, spent a pleasant evening with Rarity. The two of them took pleasure talking and partaking in the tasting ceremony.

Strong ties had formed between these two since Fluttershy moved into Carousel Boutique. They had forged a friendship that now almost rivalled the one Fluttershy had with Rainbow.

But is it just friendship or more? wondered Fluttershy for the umpteenth time. Something that was happening more and more these days.

She loved Rarity's overflowing generosity and benevolent presence. And although these two things made her deeply uncomfortable during their first night together, Fluttershy had learned to get used to it and, to some extent, to appreciate it. Often even, and this idea always made her blush, she had to admit that she liked the contact of Rarity's warm coat against hers, the unicorn's caresses in her hair, her massages to relieve her sore wings...

Enough!, said the pegasus, feeling the blush on her cheeks, her legs suddenly weak. Calm down Fluttershy! You can't think of her in that way, she's your friend!

She shook her head vigorously and then tried to focus more on the conversations of the guests beside her.

Fluttershy received many nice comments during the evening. Those who had never seen Fluttershy's dress before that evening were speechless in front of the masterpiece of beauty that Rarity had created. As for the others, they had the opportunity to remember how beautiful Fluttershy was in her splendid dress.

Fluttershy, red in embarrassment, was troubled by so much attention but nevertheless took great pride in the encouragement and congratulations concerning her recovery.

Rarity, for her part, received many rewarding comments about her design skills and received many promises for future orders. She had to admit to be flattered.

Rarity's cheeks were also a little rosy because of the incessant praise she received, although her embarrassment had absolutely nothing to do with the obvious embarrassment she saw on Fluttershy's face.

But that was what she loved about Fluttershy, her cute shyness and humility. She idolized the natural beauty of the pegasus.

At the beginning of her stay at Carousel Boutique, Fluttershy seemed lost, uncertain, but in the recent months, she had adopted a calmer, more serene pace. Rarity was happy about it and, although she would never admit it, because a lady should not think about such things, she appreciated when Fluttershy stuck to her at night, she liked to feel the regular breath of the sleeping pegasus on her coat, the softness of her mane, of her body...

Enough already Rarity!, said the unicorn, feeling a little more red, her legs becoming flickering, knowing very well that Applejack's cider was not causing this. You must calm down! You simply can't think of her in that capacity! She's your friend after all!

In turn, she mingled with the surrounding conversation to chase away those ideas she considered more than immoral.

The two friends managed to distance themselves from their thoughts long enough to almost forget them until, during the evening, at random in a conversation, Fluttershy and Rarity exchanged a look and a smile.

Their last thoughts immediately came back to haunt them again and they began to blush intensely. They quickly looked away when they heard a familiar voice speaking to them.

“How is your cider "Miladies"?”Applejack asked them in a more or less appropriate imitation of Rarity's vocabulary.

“Oh! Oh! It is simply divine, my dear, you absolutely have to give me the recipe,” Rarity commented, playing the game while trying to forget her last haunting thoughts.

“Hum...She's right... It's delicious, Applejack,” Fluttershy whispered in her sweet voice, also trying to calm her imagination, which coloured her cheeks with dark red.

“Thanks girls, it means a lot to me. And do ya... well...” Applejack began with an embarrassed look. “Do ya think Rainbow would have loved the cider?”

“Don't you fret dear. I know she would have enjoyed this exquisite cider,” assured Rarity.

“Rainbow always thought highly of your cider Applejack...And I'm sure she would have loved this one more than the rest,” Fluttershy added with a shy smile. “That's a very beautiful tribute to her. And... I really like the name you gave to your cider.”

Applejack smiles generously at her friends, her doubts gone.

“Thank you girls! And I like that name too. "Shy Rainbow Cider", it's a mighty fine name to represent two extraordinary pegasus.”

_________________________________________

Pinkie and Twilight finally managed to join them a few minutes later.

Pinkie moved around jumping on the heads of the other guests (her impossible lightness wasn’t a big deal since everypony knew that Pinkie had always had the power to break the laws of physics) to the great discouragement of Twilight who followed her and apologized to all those who had served as Pinkie's steps.

“Urggh Pinkie!!! I don't know how you make this, but you have to stop jumping on everypony's heads! This behavior is simply...”

“Impossible to make head and tail of?” innocently suggested Pinkie with a big smile.

Putting words into action, Pinkie, with a frightening bone snapping sound that would have frightened old Granny Smith herself, made a movement only she was able to do.

The pink mare now seemed to have her head where her tail normally was and, inversely, her tail gave the illusion of being where her head was a few moments before.

That triggered the hilarity of several guests from the surrounding area. Twilight, for her part, was prepared for a new round of admonition.

“Sometimes Pinkie, I swear that...”

“You'd like to have my head on a platter?” Pinkie told her while literally holding her head on a tray.

More bursts of laughter. Twilight’s stupor was too much.

After a long moment of silence, she gave up. Her laughter joined the chorus.

“Okay Pinkie, I give up... for now. But someday, I will find how you do all these crazy stuff even if, right now, it's way over my... Urggh...”

It was too late and she knew it. Pinkie leaned towards Twilight with a mischievous look and a big smile on her face.

“Say it Twilight, don't be shy,” gently teased Pinkie. “Say it or else I will say it myself.”

Twilight hesitated for a moment and then sighed, resigned this time.

“Your strange behavior is way over my... head...”

More laughter, all around her. Pinkie was the first, quickly imitated by Applejack, Fluttershy and Rarity and, finally, Twilight. They were all having fun.

Everyone was happy.

_________________________________________

Surrounded by her friends, Fluttershy had a fantastic evening, one of the most pleasant she ever had following Rainbow’s death.

She considered once again her incredible progress. For the past seven months, her determination had enabled her to beat all the discouraging prognostics about her. She was stronger than ever, had regained her former strength and her future seemed bright.

She took a sip of the blue part of her cider thinking about the last five months before the end of her promise. On a toast to Applejack's delicious cider, she smiled.

She was progressing so well, five months was enough time.

Fluttershy broke the last layer of thin ice in her bottle then drank the purple section to the last drop. She then looked to the sky, towards Luna’s moon and silently renewed her promise.

Rainbow, I’m gonna make that sonic rainboom!

Author's Note:

Hi everyone,

So here's the link to this chapter's image done by FoxInShadow. Careful this is a NSFW Deviant art Gallery: https://www.deviantart.com/foxinshadow/art/Spa-Bonding-870481965