• Published 30th Nov 2019
  • 831 Views, 94 Comments

Reality is a Blur - lLoveRainbowDash



Every day, Rainbow strives to push herself further and further, but can you push yourself too far? Rainbow ends up getting lost, without any idea where she is...

  • ...
1
 94
 831

Chapter One – Flying Fast

Rainbow kept wondering if she could fly faster. Was there anything faster than a sonic rainboom?

There was only one way to find out.

Rainbow Dash chose to fly high above Ponyville. She flew high enough to get over the clouds. She would need as much room as she could get if she wanted to fly faster.

The feeling she got from being above clouds, and high in the sky, was something she could never clearly describe. It truly felt like a pony was free up there. Nopony to get in the way, no clouds up that high, and fresh air. The air was light, but it felt fresh. It had a distinct cool to it that normal air didn't normally have.

Rainbow admired the view of the sun in the sky, along with the light blue sky. The higher up she looked, the darker the blue was, and the farther down she looked, it gradually faded to a lighter blue before a dim white.

Rainbow Dash spoke to herself, "This, right here, is just beautiful."

Before Rainbow could continue admiring the sky, she remembered why she was there.

Right, don't wanna waste daylight.

She readied herself, placing her goggles over her eyes and hovering in one place before quickly dashing off into the horizon.

It took her a few seconds to even out her breathing, but she eventually got it together. Moments later... There it is, the best part, thought Rainbow, still trying her best to keep up the speed from the rainboom.

Not wanting to compromise her mission, Rainbow didn't look behind her. If she did, well, she'd see an amazing display of beautiful colours, each colour seemingly exploding with even more colour from the sunlight beaming through it.

The sound of wind rushing past her was the only way she could tell she was going faster. Hearing the wind slowly growing to a higher pitched whistle gave her proof of what her questions asked, and it felt good. She felt like she could do anything. Anything she wanted.

Rainbow Dash loved flying fast, and this was even better. Now she could fly way faster! Sure, it costs you energy...

...but who needs that anyway?


Rainbow flew for hours. Each hour, she watched the clouds below her. They started joining together, becoming darker and darker as time went by. Soon, flashes of blue light speckled all over the surface of the clouds. The flashes of light were then followed by a dull boom shortly after.

Rainbow started panicking because she couldn't see the ground below; she used it as a sense of direction. She calmed herself down, remembering that she could just turn at a one-eighty degree angle.

Rainbow slowed down, then all of a sudden a wave of exhaustion rolled through her body. She almost passed out, her vision started growing darker.

Rainbow fought back against the exhaustion. Recollecting her thoughts, she took deep breaths, making sure to hover in one place while doing so.

Soon, she calmed herself down, enough to remember what she was doing. Until she forgot which way she was headed...

Which way was I facing?

Rainbow looked around, frantically trying her best to find something to help her find her way. All there was were clouds. Grey clouds. Everywhere. Blanketing Equestria.

"No. No, no. Are you kidding me!?"

She played, through her mind, each and every outcome, each one ending up badly.

"Wait! I can just check under the clouds!"

Rainbow dove for the grey clouds below, until a flash of lightning reminded her of why she shouldn't.

She stopped, pondering what to do again.

Okay, okay. Just wait for another strike, and go right after it so another won't happen while I'm down there. Yes! I am a genius! Beat that, Twilight!

Before she could bask in the feeling any longer, another flash of light showed itself. She dove in once again, this time being engulfed in a grey void. She felt water everywhere. Cold. Wet. Bright and dark at the same time. It was... unnatural.

It took a few seconds to fully get through the clouds, until finally, she breached the other side. Once out of the storm clouds, Rainbow tried her hardest to see the ground through the grey haze of rain.

I need to go lower.

She let herself drop down some more, but not too much. She couldn't see anything. Water pelted her, even from below.

Rainbow would have crashed right into the ground if she didn't go slow. Instead, she landed with a rough hit. The water went up to her knees. The water was a dark brown colour, seemingly bubbling from all of the rain hailing down.

As she made her way through the rain and water, she almost ran into a couple trees and bushes.

Rainbow Dash decided it was enough and tried to fly back up, above the storm clouds. Instead, her feathers had taken in too much water and were soaked through.

She flapped as hard as she could, with the new added weight. Finally, she felt herself lifting off the ground. Once she made it to the bottom of the clouds, the rain had gotten worse, and painful.

Is it hailing?! This is crazy!

She pushed herself once again to make it out of the storm. As a result of the hail, she fell, catching herself just before hitting the ground again. At this point, she was soaked to the bone. Every inch of her was soaked in the cold water. Now she was being bruised by big balls of ice coming down from the clouds.

One of the ice chunks hit her square in the wing, causing her to fall to the ground, this time she wasn't able to catch herself. Rainbow slammed into the ground, it was, at this point, almost as deep as a small pool.

Painfully, she got up, not ready to give up. She started beating her wings as if she were already in the air and trying to make a sonic rainboom. She lifted out of the water, again. She was filled with determination to get the hay out of the storm. She hated being wet, let alone pelted by ice.

She got below the clouds after a few moments of flying, she was mad now. Just as she was about to get into the clouds, a bright light flashed right in her eyes. She couldn't see. Everything went white. Then came the pain. It was as if she were being burnt alive, but only all of it focused into one point and time. Rainbow felt herself go limp, not being able to figure out what happened.

As she fell from the cloud-filled sky, her vision became darkness.