• Published 6th Apr 2020
  • 2,277 Views, 71 Comments

Only Every Time - Ice Star



Every dress Luna owns is a gift she had no say in. Every dress Luna owns was given to her by Celestia. Every time Celestia gives one is a way she tries to understand her sister.

  • ...
7
 71
 2,277

Epilogue

Luna knew where Celestia kept things by way of guessing. Living with Celestia meant that one's intuition could slumber during the day-to-day matters of things, and if one was not careful, it could dull with time. Creatures of predictability like Tia lived according to the winding of their own machinery, free of normal disruptions. That was how Luna knew Celestia would create a place to keep the Elements of Harmony in the castle that only a god could open — at least before sending them off to stay with Twilight Sparkle — or that she would insist on presiding over Cadance's wedding. There were a hundred little predictabilities to pick up on in living with Celestia, and those were only a few of them.

Finding out that Celestia placed the two Waterhorse dresses back in their box and in in a parlor was not an especially atypical thing to predict. To know that she placed them in one of the castle's many parlors in a section of the castle between the Solar Wing's residence and the residential chambers of Luna's own aptly-named Lunar Wing was a doubly, painfully obvious stroke of more than habit.

Perhaps unoriginality was a better word? Luna slipped into the room, not bothering to shut in the door as the parlor's coziness of purple, white, and gold pulled her into its relaxing atmosphere. The decidedly Canterlotian colors glowed merrily under hearth-light were she to choose to stay awhile.

Not having to close doors was just another thing that made Luna feel like she had more room to breathe. Too many times, the very presence of the servants was a cause of discomfort to Luna. With enough effort and a fair bit of magic, there could one day be a substitute for them. Then Luna would be able to be at peace in her own home, but Celestia craved company over inventiveness, though they had survived without servants at their old castle.

But as often as the thought crossed Luna's mind, she knew it was better to enjoy the chances of everyday privacy she was afforded than to become too deeply caught up in how to fix the problem of ponies. She glided noiselessly across the spacious room, soaring low enough with her leap past the doorway that her hooves could nearly brush the fresh vase of flowers atop the table.

A few petals were stirred by her motions, but did not fall. This meant two things. The first was that Luna's motions were as delicate as ever, and her skill in flight as unearthly as was expected for an Alicorn. Secondly, if the petals were that strong and healthy, it meant that the flowers were fresh. That was a sure sign as any that Celestia had been here recently, and Celestia was not somepony who entered spaces for idle purposeless fun.

Right atop a large cabinet was the box that Luna sought. The bow was just as obvious as ever too. Only Celestia would leave something that she deemed a surprise to be squirreled away for when it was needed atop a cabinet filled with knickknacks. The objects of the display were specifically dishes, all done in the kitsch style that Celestia was desperately overfond of, mostly gaudy dishes — yes, of all the things in the world to show off, dishes! — with chipped paint and rosy-cheeked minotaur calves that were sculpted in the most uncanny ways.

Truthfully, Luna wouldn't have been surprised if the whole aesthetic was cultivated by a league of diabolical grandmothers who needed a bit-making scheme to last for generations. And what would be a more lasting trend than to pawn off what even flea markets would forsake?

Smiling, Luna landed with a sound equal to what a small bird would make. Her hooves touched down and as soon as they did, she slung her saddlebags from her back with the nonchalance of a schoolcolt. She plopped the bag on to the table without care, humming as she did so. Then, Luna lowered the box from the top of the cabinet, her turquoise aura shining in the glass panels of its display as she did so.

Out floated her dress, and thus started Luna's careful examination of the piece. She had spent the past couple of days thinking about the best kind of solution to her dilemma. Certainly, it wasn't a dilemma that should even be, but Celestia seemed to have forgotten that not everypony around her was a servant or Faithful Student to supervise every choice of.

It wasn't that Luna didn't know how to tell Celestia that she shouldn't act that way which was difficult, it was how Luna could think of so many ways to do so. They pulled her mind in every direction and swarmed one another with each possibility, like a burlap sack of butterflies. Luna was just bursting with too many of them, and every time she was certain the best way had come to mind, another six or seven had floated into place.

Talking to those who thought they were the center of the world would always be infinitely easier than those who did not know that they acted so.

That was part of why Luna asked for no compromise. She was as much of an adult as Celestia, in need of no foalsitter or parent to hold her hoof like the little filly she wasn't. Over the past two days, Luna had woven a careful plan in her mind — she wouldn't break Celestia's desire for them to match their outfits at all.

Instead, she would capitalize on how wonderful the Waterhorse dress would look in her vision of it as a Waterhorse blouse! Already, the thought of the finished project was dancing in Luna's head, so tangible and caught in that fantastic half-a-dream state. She was already giddily imagining the rest of her own touches she would add: the color of the flowers she would pick for a wreath around her head, the pattern she would attempt for the hem, if she should shorten the sleeves some...

A pair of wickedly sharpened shears levitated out of Luna's saddlebags, carefully cradled within the grasp of her magic. She poked her tongue out, the last few notes of the song she had been humming fading away as she concentrated on the project before her. A few snips would be rid of the troublesome skirt, but then the real work would begin. Luna hadn't the faintest idea how to sew anything that was not a wound — though, surely now was as good a time as any to pick up a skill as useful as learning how to hem. Oh, she was sure Celestia would be pleased to see Luna take up the task — maybe Tia would even let Luna in on a few of her sewing secrets!

So busy was she that it took a few snips for Luna to recognize the sound of metal horseshoes in the distance, and by the time she was startled upright she had snipped more than half of the skirt away so that it hung only by a few threads after all of Luna's ragged cuts.

Turning, Luna saw the door being pulled further ajar and the expression of her older sister transform from placid cheer to abject hurt.

"LUNA!" Celestia shrieked, shocked, and as wounded as the two halves of the dress that fell to the ground, completely severed.

Comments ( 23 )

Great, another Ice Star fic to read. It's feeding time.

10523690
Go vore literally anything else.

Should have known Celestia wouldn't have learned. But hey, even if this isn't quite the ending Luna would have hoped for, nothing quite beats the wonders of spite. Or, something akin to it anyway.

Poor Rarity though, you know she's not going to be too happy about this, but I'm sure if asked she'd be perfectly happy to make a suit for Luna.

Well Luna isnt happy. What does Celestia have to complain about? The last time Luna was unhappy things didnt end well.

I do have to question why Luna has never bothered to contact a seamstress or tailor about getting some suits made. Couple of dozen shirts, ascots, and handkerchiefs in an array of colors and you can reliably match anything someone else is wearing. Also a tux. Pretty sure it’s impossible to look bad in a properly fitted tux.

Well at least Discord’s going to have some fun. Though now that I think about it he doesn’t really dabble in that theatre of emotions, betrayal and possibly anger.

10524491

Well at least Discord’s going to have some fun. Though now that I think about it he doesn’t really dabble in that theatre of emotions, betrayal and possibly anger.

Huh, did I give any impression that Discord would be involved?

10523858
I'm sure she would too; if Luna can work up the courage!

10523914

The last time Luna was unhappy things didnt end well.

Indeed. 👀

10523933

I do have to question why Luna has never bothered to contact a seamstress or tailor about getting some suits made. Couple of dozen shirts, ascots, and handkerchiefs in an array of colors and you can reliably match anything someone else is wearing. Also a tux. Pretty sure it’s impossible to look bad in a properly fitted tux.

Being excessively used to where she is and hoping for a compromise and things to get better, mostly. The story is still set around season four, which is somewhat early into Luna's return. Custom clothing is something of an oversight to be expected.

10523818

Luna is correct, dresses are uncomfortable, and I don't just mean physically. There's something about them that just.... Never feels right. Further discomfort about them also comes from instances where you're obligated to wear one, I think. At that point you're just reminded of every other time it's happened, and it just makes everything feel worse.

This is just the tea. Dresses and skirts are banned. Friendship ended with dresses and skirts. All my homies hate dresses and skirts. They are glorified potato sacks.

You should read more Luna stories. 👀

This was GREAT! Loved the ending, so appropriate. xD Actually, this relationship portrayal makes Luna's betrayal much more believable. I mean, great job man. I love that this happens soon after Luna's reformation so we get to really see the state of their relationship. It makes me wonder if Celestia is even more unbearable now than she had been 1,000 years ago since she's been calling the shots all this time and is now thoroughly rooted in her ways. I loved how you described Celestia as being unaware that she acts like the center of attention, and to see how Luna goes about addressing it. This whole story is so real and natural.

10530613

It makes me wonder if Celestia is even more unbearable now than she had been 1,000 years ago since she's been calling the shots all this time and is now thoroughly rooted in her ways. I loved how you described Celestia as being unaware that she acts like the center of attention, and to see how Luna goes about addressing it. This whole story is so real and natural.

Thank you so much for your insightful comment! This right here is basically where you nailed it. She's less overbearing than she would have been in the past, as she's making legitimate attempts to turn her control towards understanding her sister. Celestia just doesn't understand that she shouldn't be doing that kind of controlling, meddling behavior at all. She is too rooted in her ways to figure out that what she's doing isn't okay.

10623995
Yeah I can tell with lunas comment of the people who don't realize that the world revolves around them. Even based on previous stories you can tell that Celestia doesn't really improve, if at all even. For instance in all the sunset stories it kinda just hits like Celestia not realizing that she's raising a child and said child obviously grew attached and wanted love so therefore vied for her attention. Which eventually resulted in her gtfo. Luna here is really just doing what makes sense. She even thinks Celestia will be happy that she wants to take up hemming and sewing. Really it just hurts watching Celestia have such a fucked connection with everyone she loves due to her ruling as an immortal leader. I remember reading a story about this and Sunset was picked up from an orphanage by Celestia, essentially adopting her, and sunset wanted her to love her as her daughter and vise versa. She then grew envious of cadence for being called her niece, despite Celestia also ignoring cadence as well. Celestia sends them to vibe with castle staff and Cadance finds shining, sunset finds no one bada bing bada boom you gotta fucked up childhood right there.

10624004

due to her ruling as an immortal leader.

It actually doesn’t have to do anything with her being immortal or a leader, and way more with her mental health and worldview.

I remember reading a story about this and Sunset was picked up from an orphanage by Celestia, essentially adopting her, and sunset wanted her to love her as her daughter and vise versa. She then grew envious of cadence for being called her niece, despite Celestia also ignoring cadence as well. Celestia sends them to vibe with castle staff and Cadance finds shining, sunset finds no one bada bing bada boom you gotta fucked up childhood right there.

I’ve never heard of this story.

10624127
I forgot the name and It stopped getting updated in like 2018 and i was absolutely livid when I found out, however plot was that plus Cadance and Twilight getting tossed into the mirror portal during the Canterlot invasion by the changelings during the wedding. It was made by a guy who had human Starlight with Mao Zedong on her face as a pfp.

10624223
Oh wait, I know that story now that you mention those details. I read it before. I remember the profile picture.

10624260
Yeah, I am still pissed that its not getting updated because it was damn good.

10624430
It looks like the author’s not writing at all any longer and cancelled it. I can’t really blame someone for retiring.

10624455
Yeah me neither but it was really good.

Damn, gender dysphoria is a bitch, isn't it, Luna? So is having a sister who is trying so hard to be "perfect" that she tramples right over you. I really feel for Luna here... and Celestia, too, to a lesser extent. So much of this could be resolved with decent communication, but that's more difficult than it sounds... God knows that life (and stories) would be easier if people could just talk to one another without fear of judgment or shame, but things just aren't that simple.

Really enjoyed the expounded conflict here, as well as the glimpses of Luna being/feeling her true self. The story's ending was a swift punch to the gut, as you are so good at doing. I suppose it was time for my daily dose of patented Goth Horse Princess Feels, as it were. :ajsmug:

10658058
Believe it or not, there is actually no gender dysphoria in this story. It's tied to my main stuff. While what Luna is experiencing is similar enough, it has nothing to do with her gender and everything to do with her self-expression and gender presentation. Though it isn't usually used for someone with Luna's orientation, I'd say that she's a mare of what we would call soft butch in terms of how she wants to present herself and acts. She just loathes that she's had an overbearing ultra-traditional femme sibling push this on her for years and years. I suppose that can come across as similar to being trans, but Luna doesn't have any problems with her assigned sex. She's cisgender, but gender non-conforming, and that can still be a rough road for her and other creatures in the same boat.

I remember LOVING this story when I first read it, but not quite knowing why. Now I know, however - I relate to Luna in this situation. Dresses have always made me feel uncomfortable, and I just... despise skirts with a passion. I can never explain why I hate them so much, I just always feel like they're blowing around or flaring up and goshdarnit I don't want to have to keep track of what my clothes are doing.
Also, I have a... VERY conservative sister who has tried to convince me that women wearing pants is actually sinful. Her whole Instagram is about "true modesty", and I remember one particular time she told me she was shocked because she had been praying and God "wasn't calling her to talk about how pants are sinful." Yeah she pissed me off sometimes.
Anyway, top-notch story, per usual! This one is definitely going in my favorites. 👍

10695161
I was hoping that folks with your experiences would find this relatable. This is exactly what I was trying to share with this story. Unfortunately, a couple comments made me wonder if I accidentally overshot the awkwardness and unpleasantness of having gender non-conformity expressed by making it draw too heavily on the times when I was forced to wear dresses prior to my transition.

Wonderfully executed story here. I can see why you were featured in TCC56's most recent Recommendsday blog. I very much enjoy seeing the sisters' dynamic put in this partucular light with their mortal desires and flaws on display. The descriptions sing and are simply wonderful. Thank you very much for sharing.

11279099
Thank you so much for reading! I’ve been forced into something of a scattered lurker role lately due to university and related setbacks, which has had major impact on my writing. Despite this, seeing people still take the time to leave comments means so much to me and reading them is a good reminder that my stories are still thought of fondly.

Login or register to comment