• Published 6th Apr 2020
  • 2,267 Views, 71 Comments

Only Every Time - Ice Star



Every dress Luna owns is a gift she had no say in. Every dress Luna owns was given to her by Celestia. Every time Celestia gives one is a way she tries to understand her sister.

  • ...
7
 71
 2,267

Chapter 1

"Sister, how terrible do I look?" Luna was staring out the window, expression unusually sour, but her magic was clutching at the fabric of her dark dress. Deep blue-black fabric swept down in a cascade against the floor where Luna wasn't hiking it up in bunches. Such was the fate of the brand-new item.

"Luna, you would look just fine if you didn't wrinkle the fabric so. Let it go." Celestia's own light skirt flowed with her every step. Coral and pink waved with nearly half the grace of the Alicorn's movements. "You look great."

Celestia, the one who had ordered both their dresses months ago, offered Luna a diplomatic smile. "Come on, there's a whole charity gala to enjoy."

Luna didn't move. Even her mane was still for a few breaths. The eyes of the moon goddess still swept over the visible urban isle of Manehattan and her high-rises with the harsh, jarring disdain that Luna showed next to nothing else. This was the mare that fell in love with every wild place; now she was shooting a sulky stare through steel and distant street pavement.

Celestia held her own breath in, uncertain. With Luna, she could only pretend to know what to say; at least that was the case most of the time. There were few things that bothered her more than that.

"Everypony will love your dress," she offered again. “You should be happy about that. Just think of how pretty everypony else will think you are.”

Luna gave a reluctant kick at the back, the skirt flaring, billowing behind her before settling again. "This is incredibly uncomfortable. It's..."

Luna's thoughts ran faster and longer than her mouth could capture them. That was one of the few aspects of her that Celestia had learned to read in her eyes.

With Luna trailing off again, losing herself to her musings and unfinished sentences, Celestia could only presume that the fault was in the skirt. The dress was a feminine, elegant waterfall of fabric. If Luna found it uncomfortable, it likely only needed to be reined in.

Without a second spared, Celestia gave a few matronly tuts and was at Luna's side. The glossy black belt at Luna’s enviously lean waist was obviously too loose. Clearly, it was far more of a problem than the dark moon clasp that was supposed to aid in the way the fabric hung from Luna's body. The poor mare must feel like she was draped in the whole cloth making up all the castle's curtains. Next time, she would order something with a proper waistline for Luna, like the gift she had gotten her for Twilight's coronation.

Every dress Luna had was a gift, and every one was from Celestia, who needed no occasion to give the former gifts. Because of Celestia, Luna had a whole wardrobe of gorgeous custom gowns for events like this one, and she never had to ask for a single one. Many were pretty, moon-and-star themed things too. Each and every one was accumulated since her return, along with many other gifts that Celestia had always presented to Luna with immaculate wrapping and perfectly tied bows. Those other gifts never seemed to get as... complicated, confusing responses, though.

Golden magic clung to Celestia's horn, and with a single movement, she pulled the belt.

"TIA!" Luna yelped, her whole form flashing with alarm and mane swirling to reflect the suddenness of the gesture.

Celestia would have gasped if she hadn't been smacked right in the face when Luna's wings flared out. Instead, she tasted feathers for a moment while the sound of sharp, near-ragged breaths reached her ears.

Lighting her horn once more, Celestia suppressed the sounds of gags as she plucked tufts of navy feathers from her mouth, from her teeth, and even the few that managed to get in her mane.

Blehph. Gfft. Heffk. Ech.

Luna's wings were clean and well-groomed; Celestia hadn't expected otherwise, but she also hadn't preened Luna's wings since they were both little Alicorn fillies ages and ages ago, before Equestria was even a thought. Surprise 'meals' of feathers weren't going to dampen the unpleasantness, either.

"Oh, Tia, I'm sorry—”

"Don't be. Please." There was more urgency in those words than she had counted on. No matter how Luna's lithe form was covered or how her wings were still-half flared (and with clear discomfort, no less) Celestia could see that belt had been pulled far, far too tight. Luna couldn't breathe right, and her wide, surprised eyes...

...she was caught up in mistakes, apology... oh goodness, they were both out of it today, weren't they?

Why was it the puzzling, little differences that always led them so blindly into these kinds of situations? Most of all, Celestia was frustrated by why they must have such differences in the first place.

Before Luna had another 'sorry' grace her lips or could do anything else, Celestia managed a rare bit of speed and pulled her belt loose with her magic so that Luna wasn't forced to clench her stomach in so unnaturally, like a mare caught in the middle of dry heaving and left frozen that way.

Large, gasping breaths met Celestia's ears as she watched Luna suck in the air without a bit of composure.

"Luna, I am so sorry. Please know I only intended—”

"Tia..." Luna gasped again, grounded in getting her breathing steady and strong again. "You mustn't apologize over the silly belt. I... I just wanted a suit." There was something forlorn in the downcast look she gave the floor. "I've always wanted a suit." She pauses, adding, "Some suits."

Celestia really only wanted Luna to feel pretty. To do something purely familial, and what could be more like family than sharing pretty clothes, girl talk, trinkets, and the fabled 'twinsies' that all the foals found so ‘radically hip’? She was aiming for a connection to somepony she really hadn't always known, and often still did not. A mare, just like her. Her own kin, who she wanted to feel beautiful and as lauded as Celestia knew she herself was. The clothes really could make the mare, and being a gift, they were petals that Luna could bloom in, smiling and as graceful as a rose wreath awarded at a beauty pageant...

Luna just shrunk like a violet in these. She stood by, neutral...

"A suit..." Celestia tried to shift her gaze so it wasn't direct and instead traveled down her own legs. Luna loved the jewelry Celestia got for her. She was looking so nice in the earrings and shoes that had been designed along with the swathes of indigo and flowing skirts she apparently couldn't stand. Why didn't she at least like the dresses?

Luna nodded like a mare stranded in the desert would if asked about wanting water to quench her thirst. The constant, indecipherable light in her eyes was dancing again. "A crisp, sort-of handsome mare's suit."

Celestia's throat was tight. Luna had always dressed so... plainly? Rather stallion-like? Oh, she wasn't sure what to call it, just that Luna had gone through cross-dressing phases and all sorts of things in the times past. But didn't she see that she had winning looks like this? The kind of things publicity swooned over, ponies complimented, and was just absolutely worth prancing in?

"We won't be able to do anything today..." Celestia began, her mind already aiming to tread carefully, to assemble all the right words.

"I know, Tia." Luna's eyes had a lingering joy to them, but Celestia saw how fast it was retreating. Their joined dressing rooms were already feeling loose and airy again.

"Next time," Luna supplied, magic touching her dark tiara as carefully as she spoke. "There is always a next time." Something bright and hopeful lurked in her words.

Celestia's smile felt weak, but it didn't show. "I think we can just put a pin in this as a whole, don't you?"

Luna's light was all gone. The abrupt wordlessness of things reigned between them. Celestia could not even remember when Luna's eyes had found the city outside again and had begun to raise the silent moon above the ocean beyond the city, or how sunset bled to dusk because she had not even heard Luna's magic twinkle.

Author's Note:

I’ll drop the next (totally new!) chapter when I get around to it; until then enjoy the spruced up part from my scrap anthology.