• Published 11th Nov 2019
  • 2,259 Views, 131 Comments

Rise Of the Dragon Queen - Mystic Sunrise



A new power is rising on Equus. And five ponies stand at the center of it.

  • ...
30
 131
 2,259

Blue Orb

This, Lavender Rain decided as she tried to keep her flight steady, was probably the dumbest thing she had ever done in her whole life. No doubt about it.

Her trip from Ponyville had been uneventful. With no other destination in mind, she had gone to Fillydelphia for she had family there that she had not seen for a long time.

While the reunion had been great and had eased her concerns, the feeling that had drawn her away from home had begun to grow in intensity. It wasn't painful, but it was becoming harder and harder to fight.

And a growing part of Lavender refused to fight it. It felt too right, too pleasant, to fight. Why it had started to grow while she was with her family she didn't know though.

But after a few days, the call had become too irresistible to ignore, so while she would have loved to stay longer, she had eventually left the city behind and gone into the wilds of Equestria.

This part of the Eastern Seaboard was well known to Pegasi. Even those who had never lived in Cloudsdale knew of the area. Most called it the Stormwracked Coast.

None knew why the storms there grew up out of nowhere or why they seemingly hovered over one area in particular, least of all Lavender herself.

Her family had stories of those who had tried to control or disperse the storms. Very few had come away without injuries of some kind, though none had been life-threatening.

It was if something were controlling the storms from the center, where all converged in time. Something that wanted nothing to do with ponies or Equestria at all.

Yet here Lavender was, going to the exact same spot, for reasons that she still couldn't explain, but it felt right all the same, and so far nothing had happened to her.

Whatever the reasons for the storm, she thought as she dodged another lightning bolt, she had never seen storms like this before. Ponyville wasn't known for its bad weather, but even they knew strong weather when they saw it.

This was something else. It wasn't natural at all. Something had to be at the center of this, but what? Lavender could probably answer that herself as she continued through the rain.

Assuming she came through this in one piece at all of course, and at the moment, she wasn't sure if that was possible. Maybe she was losing it, but the storm seemed to be getting stronger if that was possible. But every fiber of her Pegasus magic was telling her that the storm was indeed getting stronger as if it was testing her.

As if it wanted her to fight her way through it and find the source of it all. How that made sense she didn't know, but in her heart, Lavender knew it to be true. Just getting there was proving hard enough though.

Lavender was known as one of the better members of Ponyville's weather team (top five according to Rainbow Dash herself no less), but she thought even Rainbow would have trouble flying through this weather.

Not that she would ever tell her that of course. Oh no. She would never hear the end of it if she did, and she respected Rainbow too much to even think about saying that to her.

But if her feelings were right, she should be close to whatever was out there. The trouble was that she had no idea of what she was even looking for, and if she found it then what? Her saddlebags were still in Fillydelphia, not that she had brought much, to begin with.

Just as the thought finished, Lavender caught sight of something in the distance, illuminated by a flash of lightning. Was that a cave? Or was she losing it? At this point she would take whatever she could get, she turned her wings in that direction. Going by the flashes of light, it didn't seem to be very big. But if it gave her shelter from the storm for a while, then Lavender wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Besides her wings were getting tired from all of her flying.

After a few more moments, she saw the cliff face rear up before her. As she thought, there was a cave in the side of it. It was more than big enough to let her land inside and walk around. As she landed inside and let her wings finally rest, Lavender vowed to never complain about weather duty again. Not after flying through all that.

Loong around, it didn't appear that the cave had ever been visited before. It went off into the gloom and a distance she couldn't make out, but for the moment she was happy to just be out of the rain as she shook herself to try and dry off.

Another crash of thunder and flash of lightning made her jump in surprise. That had sounded like it was right on top of her. For the moment, it looked like she had nothing to worry about. Or so she hoped anyway.

As another flash illuminated the cave, Lavender was surprised to see something resting on the cave floor not a few feet away from her. Odd. Did somepony leave it out here?

Walking over, she was surprised to see what it was. It was an orb, blue in color, and just big enough to fit in her hooves. It was beautiful for sure, but how did it get out here?

And why did it feel like it was calling her? In fact, it was calling her to her she realized after a moment. But since when could an orb ever do that to somepony?

She shook her head. Whatever was going on, it felt wrong to leave it here. Nopony could ever find it if she did and it didn't feel right to just leave it all alone.

But how would she carry it? She had no bags with her. Even if she went back to Fillydelphia to get them, there was no guaranty Lavender could find the cave again.

The orb seemed to guess her thoughts though. Even as she watched, it glowed for a moment before vanishing from the cave floor. In a moment she felt it secure itself tightly but comfortably around her neck.

Looking down, she found a pair of dragons looking up at her. They had enveloped the orb now. She smiled at the feeling that was washing over her at that moment. "I guess you don't want me to leave huh?" She asked.

The dragon's heads nodded eagerly. Or maybe she was just seeing things. Giggling at the thought, Lavender admired her new accessory. The blue stood out nicely next to her deep lavender coat. The orb's colors almost matched her light blue mane.

Looking back at the entrance, the storm still raged outside, but it felt like it had begun to lighten up a little as if taking the orb was calming it. For the moment Lavender was more than happy to wait it out here in the cave. It was dry and she had no place else she needed to be at the moment.

"To Ponyville then. We are almost together now girls. Our time is almost here."

***

The final head of the mural filled in with a flash. Now all five heads had color, the last being blue. Outside the temple was now fully rebuilt, and now it too waited.

***

Across Equestria, Pearl, Twilight, Pumpkin, and River all felt one more string tie them together, and in their minds, the faces of those they sought were now clear as day to them.

Unnoticed, their orbs also connected. Only a few strings remained now, and then their time would come.

***

On their train north, Twilight and Pearl scooted as close to each other as they could. Neither seemed to notice they had though. Even though they had just met, it felt like they had known each other their whole lives.

Unfelt, Pearl's connection to her parents was severed. At the same time, their connection to her was severed as well. None of them would ever know they were family.

Across Equestria, all things connected to her disappearance vanished and the memories of the event were erased as if they had never existed, to begin with.

***

Coming down to Canterlot, Pumpkin felt her orb begin to warm up. She smiled as the feeling filled her. She would not be stopping for long in the capitol it seemed. She had no reason to.

Unfelt, her connection to her parents lessened.

***

From the west, River felt a new bond form with one she hadn't met yet, yet it felt right all the same. She was never going back to Vanhoover now. The school was something she no longer cared about.

Author's Note:

The last orb related chapter is here. Now we move on to the fun stuff. Twilight and Pearl have already met each other. Up next is the rest of the girls.

How they met is the next chapter. In Ponyville of course. Where else in Equestria would they meet? Twilight and Lavender already live in the town.

Pearl has no reason now to go back home. Neither does Pumpkin or River. The universe rewrote itself so they have no ties to anypony anymore from their past lives.