• Published 19th Aug 2012
  • 5,712 Views, 62 Comments

Plush - Closer-To-The-Sun



Spike has been helping Rarity and Sweetie Belle around the Carousel Boutique. In fact, the filly and the dragon have even become better friends, sharing secrets and what not. However, it seems that both of them have secrets.

  • ...
9
 62
 5,712

Ch. 3 Give It All

Chapter 3: Give It All

The next day, Spike returned to the Carousel Boutique brimming with confidence. Sweetie Belle had challenged the dragon to admit his feelings to Rarity, and he felt like he could conquer the world and Rarity's heart. Knocking on the door of the shop, a familiar unicorn filly was on the other side with a smile.

"Hey, Spike! You seem to be in a good mood," Sweetie Belle said, moving to the side for Spike to enter.

"I am! I feel like I can do it, Sweetie Belle. I feel like I can admit my feelings to Rarity," Spike proclaimed proudly.

Closing the door, the filly was surprised by Spike's words, "Really? That's great! Are you going to tell her right now?"

Spike hesitated, "N-No. I think I should wait until later, you know?"

The unicorn nodded, "I get it. I wish you the best of luck when you do!"

"Thanks! Do you think she'll like me back?" Spike seemed to become slightly doubtful.

"Totally! You're surely to win her heart!" Sweetie Belle answered.

The dragon looked to Sweetie Belle, "Heh. You know, thanks Sweetie Belle."

"Huh? For what?"

"Kinda forcing me to do this. I think it was the push I needed to finally say it to her."

Sweetie Belle's face became slightly pink, "No need to thank me! What are friends for? We should get up there to help her though, before she gets mad."

Spike nodded and the two youngsters ran up the staircase to find Rarity in her workroom. She was grateful to see that they had come by. Rarity had Spike and her sister aid her with making a few dresses from the beginning with cutting the fabric and fashioning it on the ponyquins. It was tiresome work for each of them, which is why Rarity treated everyone to a snack during a break. By the end of the day, they had finished three dresses from fabric to simple design.

"Goodness, we certainly got a lot done today! Thank you ever so much Sweetie Belle, and of course you, Spike," Rarity thanked her helpers for the day.

"Yeah, of course, Rarity!" Spike said happily.

Rarity smiled and turned around to clean her worktable. Spike looked to Sweetie Belle who was making a gesture to him to talk to her. After such, the white filly left the room. Spike turned back to Rarity and took a deep breath. Unbeknownst to both Rarity and Spike, Sweetie Belle was just outside of the room, listening closely.

"Um, Rarity?" Spike's voice was calm to his surprise.

"Yes, Spike?" Rarity replied with a pleasant tone, still cleaning and organizing her table.

"Can I….say something to ya?" he was becoming more nervous.

"Dear, I believe you already are, but go on," the mare turned to face Spike.

The dragon knew there was no turning back now. He closed his eyes and continued, "Rarity….I….I think I love you…."

Rarity froze. She looked down at Spike who had his eyes closed and his body shaking. She was surprised to hear the words come from Spike. "Oh….Spike….um…." Rarity was at a loose for words, "I'm flattered that you do but….oh dear….I'm sorry that I'm not interested at the moment…."

The words crushed Spike. He opened his eyes to look up at Rarity. They already had a few tears forming, "Oh, alright….I'm sorry."

Rarity immediately felt bad, "I really am sorry, dahling. It's nothing against you. You are really a wonderful dragon. I do mean that."

Her words did nothing for the dragon.

"Are you alright, Spike?" Rarity was very concerned.

"Yeah….I'll be fine….I think I'm gonna head home," Spike's words were detached.

"Alright, dear….I'm sorry and please remember what I said: you are a wonderful dragon. I'm sorry," Rarity said as Spike was moving towards the door in a sluggish manner.

Spike walked through the doorframe and down the stairs to the door. He didn't even notice Sweetie Belle who was waiting for him in the hallway. She followed after him down the staircase.

"Spike?" the filly called out. No response from the dragon.

The dragon exited the shop and headed to the library, his head hung low. Sweetie Belle watched him from the open front door as he walked away.

Sweetie Belle was deeply concerned, "Oh my…."