• Published 19th Aug 2012
  • 5,716 Views, 62 Comments

Plush - Closer-To-The-Sun



Spike has been helping Rarity and Sweetie Belle around the Carousel Boutique. In fact, the filly and the dragon have even become better friends, sharing secrets and what not. However, it seems that both of them have secrets.

  • ...
9
 62
 5,716

Ch. 2 Times Like These

Chapter 2: Times Like These

The white filly and the purple dragon were quick with finishing the task that Rarity had given them. They both went to inform Rarity that they were done, but after seeing the unicorn working intently on her designs, Spike and Sweetie Belle both agreed to leave her alone. With this, the two went out for lunch.

"So Spike, what do you wanna get to eat?" Sweetie Belle asked as they left the Carousel Boutique.

"Oh, anywhere is really fine. I'm not too picky," Spike smiled to the filly.

Sweetie Belle's face lit up, "Alright! I know just the place!" She used one of her hooves to grasp one of Spike's claws, dragging the baby dragon through the Ponyville townscape. Spike had a bit of trouble to keep up with the excited pony, but managed to not trip on the way.

Sweetie Belle finally arrived at her destination. Spike looked to see that she stopped in front of a familiar pony's cart. It was the Apple family's apple cart. From behind the cart, an orange pony with a blonde mane smiled as she tilted her hat to them.

"Howdy there, welcome t' the Sweet Apple Acres' Apple Cart! What can I get fer ya?" Applejack automatically gave her sales pitch verbatim before recognizing her customers, "Well, if it ain't Spike and Sweetie Belle!"

"Hello, Miss Applejack!" Sweetie Belle said with a musical touch to her words.

"Hey there, could I get an apple fritter?" Spike asked. The aroma was extremely tempting to the hungry dragon.

"Sure thing, and fer Sweetie Belle?" the earth pony asked turning her attention to the white unicorn.

"Apple juice, please!"

Applejack nodded, "Comin' up! That will be two bits!"

Spike pulled out the coins to pay for the both of them, setting them on the cart for Applejack. The orange mare turned around with the order, handing both of the youngsters their respected order.

"Thank ya kindly fer stoppin' by!" Applejack called as Sweetie Belle and Spike walked away.

"Thank you!" Sweetie Belle shouted as they walked away before turning her attention to Spike, "And thank you for paying for me, Spike!"

Spike took a big bite of his fritter, "Notta probblehm!" His mouth was full as he spoke.

The filly giggled before she took a sip of her juice, "You know, I think Applejack gave us an odd look."

"Huh? Why?" Spike tilted his head to the side.

"Well, you did pay for me….and we are together," she hinted, blushing slightly a faint pink.

Spike raised an eyebrow in puzzlement.

"Like a couple."

The dragon spat his food out from his mouth in surprise, "WHAT?! We aren't anything like that!"

"I know!" Sweetie Belle reassured him, "But Applejack might of thought differently just by that."

"But we aren't! I mean, I like ya and all; you're a great friend. But I got my sights set on Rarit-" Spike covered his mouth with a claw, but it was too late. A sly smile came across Sweetie Belle's face as her eyes narrowed onto the dragon. "Sweetie Belle….you better not say anything…."

"Oh, whatever could you mean, Spike?" the filly played dumb.

"You can't say anything, got it?"

"On one condition," Sweetie Belle was going to have some fun with her friend.

"Name it," Spike didn't like where this was going.

"You have to tell her. Deal?"

He was right, he didn't like where it was going, "Fine, just not a word to anypony, got it?"

Sweetie Belle nodded before she began to laugh aloud. Spike blushed and tried to hide by continuing to eat his apple fritter, "Come on….can you stop laughing already?"

She continued to laugh until she was able to catch her breathe, "It's times like these I'm happy were friends!"

The flustered dragon was not amused, "Moments when I say something embarrassing?!"

"Yup!"

"Just wait until I find out something embarrassing about you!"

"Like what?" Sweetie Belle asked with confidence.

Spike couldn't think of anything quick enough to say, "Um….I….don't know. But when I do, just you wait!"

Sweetie Belle laughed a bit more, "I promise, Spike, I won't tell anypony. Just as long as you keep your end of the bargain, okay?"

The dragon was still a bit sore, "Deal."

Sweetie Belle smiled and drank a bit more of her juice, "Come on, we can still have some fun today."

The two youngsters spent the rest of the day playing games, walking around Ponyville, and enjoying each other's company.