• Published 19th Aug 2012
  • 2,856 Views, 15 Comments

Heart Of Gold - Closer-To-The-Sun



After an accident on the farm, it's up to Fluttershy to nurse Big Macintosh back to health. Can she do it without shying away?

  • ...
2
 15
 2,856

Ch. 3 The Nurse Who Loved Me

Chapter 3: The Nurse Who Loved Me

The next day, a number of clouds were tossed across the Equestrian sky. This was the weather that Fluttershy liked the most. It wasn't hot nor chilly, just perfect for enjoying the outdoors. However, this was not the reason why was trotting along today. Instead, she was on her way to Sweet Apple Acres. The pegasus made a promise to Applejack and Big Macintosh that she would return to help treat the stallion's injuries.

The yellow pony arrived at the farm. She trotted up to the porch and knocked on the door of the Apple home. As she waited she used one of her hooves to reach back to her saddleback. Fluttershy gave a sigh of relief when she felt the bandages inside. She was worried that she might have forgotten them.

The door in front of the pony opened to reveal a small yellow filly with a large pink bow in her red hair, "Howdy, Miss Fluttershy!"

"Oh, hello Applebloom. Are your siblings home?" Fluttershy asked meekly with a warm smile.

"Yup!" Applebloom exclaimed with a large smile. She didn't move.

Fluttershy stood in silence and started at Applebloom with a puzzled look, "Um….could you go get them for me….if you don't mind?"

"Oh, right! C'mon inside!" the filly spoke as she turned to scamper off to find her sister.

Fluttershy trotted slowly in and closed the door behind her. When she turned around, she saw her orange earth pony friend trotting towards her.

"Howdy, Fluttershy. Ya here to help Big Mac out?" Applejack asked.

"Oh….um….yes, I brought some medicine that will help his….um….injury," Fluttershy felt weird talking about the injury that the stallion had suffered.

"That's mighty nice of ya. C'mon, ah'll show ya where he's at," Applejack made a gesture to her friend to follow.

Applejack led Fluttershy upstairs to Big Macintosh's room. The two mares entered the plain room. The pegasus noticed there were only a couple of things in his room such as his bed, a dresser, and his harness. On the bed, there was Big Mac laying on his stomach, similar to how Fluttershy saw him the day before, just with bandages around his torso. His head was at the foot of his bed, looking forward at the wall, and on top of a pillow for support.

"Hey there, Big Mac, Fluttershy is here to help ya out. Ah know I told ya not to move or nothin', but whatever Fluttershy here tells ya ta do, ya do it. Got it?" Applejack said to her brother as she stood in his line of sight.

"Eeyup," the red colt replied.

"Good. Now, I gotta get back to buckin' those apples. Take care of my brother while ah'm gone," the blonde maned mare spoke as she trotted down the stairs.

Now, Fluttershy was alone in the room with Big Mac. Neither spoke for quite a bit of time. The pegasus finally was able to snap out of her dazed state. She rummaged through her saddlebags. She pulled out a small herb.

"Here, Big Mac. This is a special type of herb that will help make a speedy recovery," Fluttershy said as she trotted into his line of sight. She placed the plant in front of his mouth, "Um….it might not taste that good, but….um….I hope you don't mind…."

"Okay," the stallion replied in his low voice. He stretched his neck out to grab the herb with his mouth. Be began to chew it and his face reacted with disgust. He was able to bare the awful taste.

Fluttershy was worried, "Oh dear, I'm sorry you had to eat that, Big Mac….I do promise it will help."

Big Mac smiled, "It's alright, Miss Fluttershy."

The pegasus then pulled out of her saddlebag a roll of bandages, "Um, now I should take off the bandages that Applejack put on you and reapply them. How does your back feel?"

Big Mac spoke, "It's feeling better, but still quite tense."

Fluttershy nodded, "Okay then. Um, I'll take the bandages off now."

She moved from his line of sight and to the side of his bed. She began to take all of the bandages off slowly. The pegasus had to admit that Applejack did a great job at placing the bandages on her brother. With his coat out from underneath the bandages, Fluttershy looked at Big Mac's back. Placing a hoof on the area where the branch hit, she asked, "Does this hurt at all?"

"Not as much as yesterday, though it is tense," Big Mac replied.

Fluttershy thought for a moment and her face turned red. She figured it could work to help, but she was extremely nervous at the mere thought of it. She figured she should ask before she does anything. "U-Um….Big Mac?" Fluttershy was visibly shaken.

"Eeyup?"

"I-I could massage your back. That c-could help ease your tension and even speed up your recovery….i-if you want…." Fluttershy's face was a bright red. She was thankful that Big Mac couldn't see her embarrassed face.

Big Mac hesitated to reply, "Alright then."

With her face burning, the flustered Fluttershy confirmed his reply and then carefully placed her hooves lightly on his back. She was shaking slightly because she had never gave a massage to anypony before. She had given massages to help relieve stress in rabbits, chickens, and even bears, but never a pony. Placing her hooves firmly on Big Mac's back, she began rub his back. It really seemed to be helping the stallion as the painful look on his face was beginning to disappear. Soon a small smile was on his face. This made Fluttershy smile as well, knowing she was doing well with her bedside manner.

"Is this helping, Big Mac?" the pegasus asked shyly.

"Eeyup, very much so. Thank you, Miss Fluttershy," the stallion spoke.

"Oh, no need to thank me Big Mac, really," Fluttershy insisted.

She finished massaging back and got her bandages to wrap Big Mac's torso up again.

Packing her things into her saddlebag, Fluttershy gave instructions, "I think you will be able to walk on your hooves tomorrow and be good as new the day after that. So no farm work until then. Also, no sweets or the herb won't take full effect," she blushed before continuing, "And….if you don't mind….could you not tell anypony about the….massage?"

"Ah won't, Miss Fluttershy," Big Mac warmly smiled to Fluttershy.

The pegasus smiled back with a pink tint, "Alright then, I should head back home then."

Big Mac spoke as Fluttershy was beginning to leave, "Miss Fluttershy?"

"Hmm?"

"Sorry about all of this. And thanks."

Fluttershy smiled and brushed it aside, "It's nothing Big Mac, I'm just more than happy to help!"