• Published 9th Nov 2019
  • 719 Views, 4 Comments

A Journey of Two Apples - onekface



Applejack is conflicted with her feelings for her brother

  • ...
2
 4
 719

More Problems

Chapter 4: More Problems

Fluttershy nodded politely to the well-dressed waiter who gallantly escorted them to their table by the window. The restaurant she brought him was decently full tonight meaning that business was good. Which was good for her as well as she loved the place. It was one of the very few restaurants in Ponyville that allowed other animals to wander in unhindered. There was a record player tuned in to some old classic music playing in the distance which brought much needed ambience to the place.

The waiter handed them their menus and promised to return to take their order in a few minutes.

Oh? There was a special on the daisy sandwich. Three for the price of one. She might just have that and call it a day.

“Hmm… the strawberry soup looks lovely. What will you be ha…” Fluttershy paused when she looked up from her menu to catch Big Mac tapping the flower vase at the center of the table. He looked at it curiously and laughed every time it bloomed and lit.

It didn’t take long for him to notice that she was starring and quickly hid his face behind the menu. “S… sorry.”

“You don’t visit restaurants often, do you Big Mac?”

“Nope.” He answered dejectedly. Of course he wouldn’t. He worked in a farm. It provided him and his family everything they needed. Not to mention that he and Applejack were quality chefs of their own, making the bestest darn apple-based pastries this side of Equestria. Didn’t really have much of a reason go out and eat.

She laughed his worries off. “Well don’t think too much about it. I remember being afraid of coming to one of these places before. Give the place a try. I’m sure you’ll come to love it as I do.”

“Oh… ok?” He forced the answer out. “Thanks.”

“Don’t mention it.”

“Can I take your order?” The waiter returned not a moment too soon.

“Yes. I would like the carrot soup special.”

The unicorn jotted it down on his pad before turning towards Big Mac. “And you sir?”

“I’ll uh…” Big Mac grumbled inwardly. “I’ll uh… have what she’s having.”

Fluttershy couldn’t help but giggle.

xxxxxxxxxx

“Egads!” Pinkie Pie gasped thrice over as she watched Fluttershy’s date from afar. She hid herself in a far off bush with a single telescope, dressed in military camouflage, her eyes bulging off like goop. She didn’t want to believe at first but she couldn’t deny it with all the evidence staring at her in the face. “Fancy tux? Flowers? A romantic luxurious dinner, and laughing with casual conversation!? It really is a date! I don’t believe this! Fluttershy really is going out with Big Mac! This is big big news Gummy!” Her gator blinked. “I know right? But this is totally gonna blow everyone’s mind!”

“Oh now that’s something I wouldn’t mind seeing.”

“Aww you silly gator. I always knew you’d love a good… eh? Disco—mphhh!” Her mouth vanished before she could scream at the Chaos Lord who mysteriously appeared beside her.

“Ah uh. We can’t have you screaming.” He waggled his gryphon finger at her. “Have you forgotten the first rule of sneaking? We can’t have you giving our position away.”

“Mphhhhm!”

“Well if you must know, I’m keeping an eye for my friend Fluttershy, obviously. I mean… why else would I be here?” He gestured to his surroundings. “It’s definitely not because of the crowd or the food.”

“Mphhhhmm phhhuuhmm!”

“Fine fine. I’ll give you your mouth back. Just promise that you won’t scream. I just cleaned my ears recently and I don’t want any of your gunk clogging it up.”

With a snap of his fingers Pinkie’s mouth returned.

“So it’s true!?” Pinkie exclaimed.

“Volume please?”

“Oh… sorry. YOU KNEW!?”

The Chaos Lord recoiled from her outburst. “Knew? Knew about what? That Fluttershy is going out with that big red looney from the farm?” She nodded. “Then in that case… no. I didn’t know. Honestly, I’m just as confused as you are.” That was a total lie but she didn’t need to know that. “You know what? I should probably take pictures. You’d think they might want to keep some memoires.”

Pinkie began to hyperventilate. “Oh this is big. Like really big! Like REALLY REALLY BIG! How am I supposed to break this to Applejack and the others? No! Maybe I can keep this a secret. Yeah. Keep it to myself and wait for Fluttershy to tell the others. Then I won’t have to go through the process of awkward silence and judgment!”

She paused again as her mind raced. “But what if she doesn’t tell them and I make things worse by keeping it to myself!? ARGHHH! I’m in a paradigm!”

“It’s paradox dear. And do you know that you talk to yourself more often when you’re panicking?”

“I have to tell them.” Pinkie began pacing around the floor. “No. I don’t. I keep it to myself. That’s the ticket!” Another pause. “But what if things go horribly and we’re forced to pick sides!? Arghh! This is torture!”

“Speak for yourself. I’m actually enjoying this one-pony show of yours.” Discord laughed from his corner while munching a bag of popcorn. “Please continue. Don’t mine me at all.”

“ARGHHHHHH! Twilight!!!!!” She dashed off into the distance before the restaurant security could apprehend her.

“Well… that escalated quickly.” Discord stated before teleporting himself away.

(Fine Hoof)

“That was a lot of fun. Certainly a lot more than what I’m used to.”

“You can say that again” Applejack agred as they left the restaurant. “Not that I have a lot of experience with blind dates.”

“Same here.” Advocat nodded in agreement. “We should definitely do this more often. But maybe we should pick someplace else. Like… a place where the food on the menu is easier to read and have us not look like complete idiots as we try to pronounce them.”

“Pffft! Ain’t that the truth.” Seriously, how was anyone supposed to know what they were getting with those ridiculous names? What was the difference between soup and chowder? “But if you want, maybe you should come by my place. My granny can whip up some of the best flapper jacks in town. And you won’t have to answer to a waiter either.”

The stallion’s face beamed. “I… will take you up on that offer.” They smiled and chuckled softly before another awkward silence took over. “So uh… what happens now? I’m not really sure what happens at the end of the date? Do we hug? Hold hands or…”

“Why don’t we leave it with a tap and leave it for the next time?” Applejack suggested turning a bit red herself. “Leave things on a good note for both of us. And all things considered. I’m glad Rarity set this up for us. I wouldn’t know what to do otherwise.”

“Heh… that I can agree on.” Advocat nodded back though he did look somewhat disappointed. “I’ll see you around then Applejack. You’re the best date I’ve ever had. I hope we go on more of them.”

Applejack hummed airily as she made her way back. Despite every little misshaped that happened on this date she had to admit that it was probably the first proper outing she had with another stallion. The guy was just as awkward as she was which made it easier for her to connect. Advocat was a gentleman true and true. He even got her flowers and not to mention he was quite the looker. That jawline, the muscles on his legs, even his mane looked like they were combed to perfection. She was even convinced that some of the patrons were looking their way, eyes lit with jealousy. Well sucks to be them because she drew the winning lottery.

“Well someone looks like she had a nice night. Don’t you agree Twilight?”

Applejack rolled her eyes as her friends flushed out from the corner with small knowing smiles on their faces.

“I think you might be onto something.” Twilight replied chuckling.

“It was fine.” Applejack followed suit, adjusting her hat. “It was a heck of a lot better than all the others I had these last few days.”

“I take it we have a winner?”

“Well… that kind of…”

“Did you kiss!?”

“What? No I di… Apple Bloom?” The Cutie Mark Crusaders burst out of hiding. “What in the world are you doing out here so late?”

The little apple shied away like a caught canary. “Sorry Big sis. Big Mac and I were wondering what you were doing out so late so I followed ya. And when we heard that you were going out on a date, well we just got all curious. I didn’t even know you were looking for a special-some-pony.”

“Apple Bloom. I’m a grown up pony. I can handle myself. Besides what I do in my time is my business. You got no right sticking your noses in it.”

“I… I know. Sorry. We were just worried you were getting into trouble, that’s all.”

Applejack opened her mouth to scold but decided to let it be. She had been acting weird with her family these last few days especially with Big Mac. It’s only natural that they’d get suspicious. In fact she had to be grateful that they’ve left alone for so long as it is.

“Wait…” Applejack gasped. “Does… does Big Mac know about this?”

Apple Bloom raised a brow. “About your date? Uh… I don’t think so. Why?”

“Well don’t tell him. I don’t want him getting any funny ideas about me looking for some special-pony or he’ll never let me hear the end of it. Just… keep it a secret between us for now. Ok?”

“Uh… ok?”

“Good. Now run back home, all of’yall. And tell granny not to wait up.” With a goodbye wave, the foals quickly rolled off into the distance, cackling and giggling, already formulating rumors on her date. “Geez. And to think I raised them better than this.”

“Don’t sweat it Applejack.” Twilight reassured her. “She and Big Mac were just worried about you. I’m sure she didn’t mean any harm. But more importantly, tell us about your date.”

Rarity’s face beamed, her hooves clapping together in excitement. “Oh yes! You absolutely must, my dear. We could hear you two laughing off like you had gone mad. Tell us everything. Spare no details. No matter how small. I want to know how your first true date went!”

“Well… it was… nice.”

……

They waited patiently, anticipating more from her. “And?”

“That’s it.”

Rarity’s eye twitched. “You have got to be joking.”

“Well what can I say? It was really nice.”

“Nice? NICE!? B… but darling. You… you were…” The fashionista breathed in deeply to calm her nerves. “I was hoping for something a little more dramatic. Do you know how hard it was for me to get you a date with that stallion? He’s Advocat! The future owner of the vineyard outside Ponyville. I’d say he ranks at the top 5 of the most eligible bachelors in town.”

“How was he?” Twilight asked also somewhat curious. “You guys looked like you had fun.”

“We did!” Applejack replied with a chirpy tone. “He was… absolutely perfect. I never thought I could talk about farm stuff with other ponies. He knew all of the hard work put in the fields, and he does all the hard work with his hooves.”

“And not to mention very handsome.” Rarity reminded which made her friend blush. “I was actually surprised he wasn’t taken.”

“He’s definitely my kind of Prince Charming. Strong, awkward, a good listener… and I can totally see us together.”

Their smiles slowly turned upside down when they sensed her tone changing. They’ve all read enough drama books to know where this was going.

“I’m… sensing a ‘but’ in that sentence.” Twilight dreaded.

And indeed there was a but. A big but for that matter.

“But it just doesn’t feel right.”

“WHAT?!” Rarity stormed and paused when she noted other ponies staring. She coughed into her hoof before calming down. “What are you talking about? I thought you said he was perfect! A pony’s prince charming!”

“D… don’t get me wrong. I like the guy sure. And I think he’ll be a great partner and all. But he’s just…” Her heart sank as well as her head. “He just ain’t Big Mac.”

“This again!?” Rarity fumed, her horn on the verge of casting a silence spell. “Darling, you do realize that we are doing this for you to get over your um… unusual infatuation. How on Equestria are you still hung up on him?!”

“I know! It’s weird!” The Earth Pony admitted. “Advocat and I had a great time. But even though we got along, all I could think of was… Big Mac, sitting there with me.” She sighed, wanting to bury her head in the ground in shame. “I don’t know you guys. Maybe there’s something wrong with me.”

“There’s nothing wrong with you, Applejack.”

“Speak for yourself, Twilight.”

“Rarity. Come on now. I think she’s already miserable enough knowing that she’s harboring these feelings within.” Twilight tapped her wounded friend on the shoulder giving a supportive smile. “Perhaps we’re looking at this all wrong. Rarity’s solution was a good shot but it might not be what we’re looking for.”

“Well I’m open to suggestions. Because right now I’m feeling more miserable than ever.”

“Don’t worry. You’ll get through this. We just need another solution. Something without the help of other stallions.”

Her answer came in the form of a rhyme that whispered from behind. “If aid is what you are seek, then perhaps I can offer a peek.”

“Zecora?” Twilight recognized the zebra instantly. “What are you doing here? You don’t usually leave the Everfree forest at night.”

“It’s not every day I leave the safety of my walls, but tonight I am doing eh… what you say… house call?”

“She’s here for me.” Applejack explained. “I kinda… went to her first with my problem.”

“Applejack came to me for an answer to her heart. But back then all I had were words and promises apart.” Zecora added. “I see you have turned to your friends for assistance, I take it you found some… resistance?”

“A lot of resistance!” Rarity clarified. “It is just absolutely…”

“Rarity!” Twilight scolded before turning back to the shaman. “Zecora. I take it you know Applejack’s feelings?” She nodded back. “You said you had a solution.”

The zebra quickly pulled a vial from her saddle with a red liquid in its content. “A potion I made from herbs and fruits, a remedy to crush your feelings to its roots.”

Applejack’s face brightened as if the gods themselves answered her call. “You mean you got a cure? Well why didn’t you say so? Gimme a splash of that stuff.”

But Twilight quickly blocked her, holding the vial with her magic. “Hold on a second Applejack.” She cringed a bit. “No offense Zecora. But this problem doesn’t seem to be the kind that can be solved with magic or alchemy. Messing with emotions can have unexpected consequences. Maybe it would be better if we solved this naturally?”

“On that matter we both agree, there are just some things in this world we must let be.”

“Twilight! What gives girl?”

“I know that you don’t like these feelings Applejack. But you can’t just solve all your problems with short cuts. This is a matter of the heart and it can be very delicate.”

“So what? Are you saying I should just bottle up these feelings forever?” The apple asked, her hoof trying and failing to reach the vial.

“I’m just saying you need to be patient and find a proper solution.”

“My ‘Solution’ is in that vial. And you’re keeping it out of my reach. Now give it!”

“But Applejack.”

“No buts!” Applejack snapped. “I can’t go on like this anymore. I don’t want these feelings. I don’t want to be that weird mare that’s got some crazy crush. Please Twilight. I just want to get rid of this and be done with it. I want things to go back to normal.”

Twilight wanted to protest but she snapped her mouth closed when she saw the desperation in her friend’s eyes. She wanted to help but she also knew that magic and potions weren’t always the best options.

“Zecora. What does this potion do exactly?”

The shaman shrugged. “It calms the body, soul and mind, allowing anypony to unwind.”

“Any side effects we should look out for?”

“None that I know of.”

Twilight turned towards the vial and carefully inspected the contents. She dabbled a bit in alchemy and curatives but she never read nor heard of any potions that could suppress one’s feelings. But then again there were plenty of other recipes that she didn’t know of.

With a defeated sigh, she lowered over the vial. “Are you sure you really want to do this Applejack?” Her friend nodded back without hesitation. “If you’re sure… then I won’t stop you.”

Applejack took the vial and opened the lid. There was a weird smell coming from it. Like rotten eggs mixed with sour fruit or something. She swirled the liquid for a bit, glancing over her friends who watched her with mixed reactions. There was some hesitation in her movement but that was quickly dashed away by her purpose.

She needed to be rid of these feelings if things had any hope of going back to normal. She didn’t want to hurt Big Mac or herself. At this rate she was practically ready to rip her own heart out if push came to shove.

Taking a deep breath in, she lifted the vial and drank its content in a single large gulp. The taste was actually… surprisingly not as bad as it smelled. It was kind of sweet actually. Not as good as their home-brewed cider but it was a good contender. After making sure she drank to the last drop she slowly turned to her friends who stared intently at her, all looked as if they were expecting her to grow a second head or something.

“Well?” Rarity asked. “How is it? Did it work?”

Applejack scanned herself, just to be sure that she didn’t grow an extra limb. “I dunno. Was something supposed to happen?”

“Let’s give it a test then.” Twilight suggested. “Think of Big Mac. Try to picture him in your mind. What do you feel?”

Applejack did so and thought hard. She pictured her brother tending the field, bucking apples from trees and standing by the house waving at her with his casual smile. It was surprisingly easy seeing as she saw him almost every day of her life.

She listened intently to her chest waiting for it to start beating to the rhythm of an invisible drum. She waited… and waited. But it never came.

Her heart remained… docile. Calm even. Her face didn’t flush and her sweat glands didn’t go into overdrive.

“Guys…” She said at last, a smile slowly forming on her face. “I… I think it worked! I don’t feel it anymore!”

“Really?”

“Yeah! I’m thinking about Big Mac. But all I can think of is how tight lipped he is!” She jumped up with glee. “It totally worked! I’m cured! Woooooohoooo!” A joyous relief spread over the apple as she pranced around like a newborn pony.

“And you’re sure you don’t feel any different?” Twilight asked.

“Other than a little tickle on my belly, I think I’m fine. That potion really did the trick. I don’t think of Big Mac any more than I need to!” She let out a laugh. “Thanks Zecora. I feel right as rain now.”

“No thanks are needed for this debacle.” The shaman shrugged again. “But I wouldn’t mind my payment to be in apples.”

“I’ll bring you the whole barn!”

“Just a basket… please.”

But just as Applejack celebrated her lost love the gang was interrupted by a spectacular drop by Pinkie Pie who magically appeared out of nowhere.

“Guys! Guys guys guys guys guys guys! I’ve been looking all over for you!” The party pony cried out to them in a near panicked manner. She spoke so fast that she even missed some of the words in her sentences. “You have to… you are never gonna… it’s gonna blow your…”

“Whoa there. Slow down Pinkie. Breathe.” Twilight ordered to which the pinkette complied. “We’re kinda in the middle of something right now.”

“Oh… right. How was the date? Was he talkative like the last guy or was he moody like my sisters?” Pinkie quickly snapped out of it. “No wait! Not important! I have to tell you guys something really really really REALLY huge!”

“Well it certainly can’t be any bigger than Applejack’s love life.” Rarity pointed out.

“But it is! It’s about Big Mac!”

Applejack waved it off. “Oh you’re slow on the draw there Pinkie Pie. We solved that problem just a minute ago.”

“Really?”

“Yup.” She nodded with so much confidence she might’ve even fooled herself. “Go ahead. I won’t even feel a thing.”

“Oh… ok then?” Pinkie shrugged and breathed in. “Big Mac and Fluttershy are dating!”

Applejack’s smile slipped from her face and shattered into a million pieces on the floor like glass.

(Ponyville outskirts)

Big Mac was a hopeless romantic. At least he thought he was. He wasn’t really sure what would actually count as a romantic date at this point. He heard a few pointers from some of the ponies in town but they often differed in terms of preference. But right now, he had to admit that this stroll on the road was kind of something that he would read in a cheesy romance novel.

With just him and Fluttershy, they walked along the cobbled road of the village prancing beside a row of flowers. Fireflies adorned the way, illuminating the rivers and streams while stars glittered in the moonlit sky. Trees ruffled in the wind as the nocturnal animals kept themselves hidden giving the two some privacy.

Greater novels have been written with less.

“That was a wonderful dinner. Don’t you agree?”

“Eeyup.” Big Mac agreed wholeheartedly. The food, the ambience. They were all just perfect. And now this quiet stroll down the road fitted as a perfect ending. “Good food too. Especially the carrot.”

She chuckled back at his dreamy state. “Well maybe next time we’ll order a separate dish.”

“Eeyup.”

“It was delicious though.”

Very delicious. Who thought that the carrot stew would’ve made an appetizing meal? They grew a few of them in the farm but they always took them to the market immediately after they finished harvesting. Maybe he’ll ask Granny to keep a few to try out a few new recipes for the future. He was sure his siblings would love them too.

“It’s also nice of you to walk me home. Even though you didn’t have to. The forest isn’t as scary as it used to be. Not after Twilight put those wards up.”

“Nope.” Big Mac sternly replied. As much as he knew how Fluttershy can handle herself against monsters and animal, Granny always says that you should never leave a pony to walk at night. His parents’ ghost would shake their heads in disapproval if he did.

They arrived at the cottage not long after. Fluttershy’s pet rabbit came and greeted her the second she opened the door along with all of her animal friends. Judging by the messy table and the scattered food lying around, they were waiting for her.

“Oh I’m sorry dearies. I didn’t intend to make you all worry.” She cooed to them, nudging her nose at Angel. “I was just having so much fun that I lost track of time. But I’m back now so you can all relax.” After a quick pat on every last one of them, she turned back to Big Mac who stood by the door. “Sorry. They can be overprotective sometimes. You know how they are.”

“Eeyup.”

“Now remember what I told you Big Mac. I know that you care a lot for Applejack but it’s best to give her some space and let her come to you. No need to invade her privacy.”

“Eeyup.”

“Good boy.” She chuckled. “Now… I don’t suppose you’d want to come in for a cup of tea.”

“Nope.” He declined politely. “Family might get worried. Like your friends.”

Ah… that was true. “I can’t argue with you there. Well… maybe next time then. Are you sure you can get back to the farm on your own?”

“Eeyup.” He said puffing his chest confidently. “This pony ain’t afraid of nothing. Thanks for uh…” His cheeks darkened a bit. “Thanks for helping me out. I think I needed this.”

“You’re very welcome. We should do this again if you’re ever feeling down or need someone to talk to. I might not be good in conversations… but I can give an ear if you need it.”

Huh… for once someone actually used that phrase for him. It felt… weird.

(Ponyville)

“A date?!” Twilight gave a hefty gasp as Pinkie delivered the punch line of the joke she never threw. Everyone who was there had a face of shock though Zecora didn’t really have much of an understanding. “Big Mac and… Fluttershy? Together? On a date?”

“That’s what I said!”

“Are you sure darling?” Rarity inquired. “This is Fluttershy we’re talking about. OUR Fluttershy.”

“Could you have mistaken?”

“Nope!” Pinkie sternly replied. “I was sure of it. Saw the whole thing with my own googly two eyes. They were definitely on a date.”

“That… doesn’t sound right.” Twilight rejected such a notion. Fluttershy wouldn’t date Big Mac. Not after knowing how Applejack felt. “Maybe it was someone who looked like them. Ponyville is a pretty big place.”

“Oh it was them alright.” Another voice interjected startling the gang. “I was with her the whole time. And trust me, I know Fluttershy better than all of you combined.”

“Discord!?” Twilight nearly cursed. “What are you doing here?”

“Why? Can I not be here? It is a free country after all, isn’t it?” The princess shot him a glare. “Oh fine. If you must know, I was keeping an eye on my friend, Fluttershy while she was going on her ‘date’ with that red guy. Big Mickey or something.”

“S… so it really was them?” Rarity bit her hoof, tone dripping with concern. “My word, such a scandal.”

“Oh it is. I even took pictures to prove it.” Discord then produced said pictures with a snap of his fingers. “Here’s one with Big Mold and Fluttershy going to a fancy restaurant. This one is when Big Red tries to easy properly… and fails. Here’s one where Big Man gives flowers to Fluttershy. Oh and this one is where they’re taking a leisurely walk back to Fluttershy’s home.”

“That’s… surprising.”

“I know, right!? Who would’ve thought that a country raised pony like him would be quite the gentlepony? I almost expected him to fail spectacularly in some way. But nope. He was straight and true as an arrow.”

Twilight wanted to reprimand Discord for his choice of words but decided to ignore him and turn back to the apple in the area noticing how she hasn’t said a word for a while now. “Applejack? Are you ok?”

“ME!?” She replied with a wide-eyed smile and a twitchy eye. “Course I am! Why wouldn’t I be?”

Rarity gave her a worried look. “It’s just that you have that strange… look on your face.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ve always… looked this way.” Her smile wiggled deeply. “I don’t feel no nothing. Flutter-shy can do whatever she wants. And Big Mac c-c-c-c-c-an date whoever he likes!”

Twilight and Rarity shared a glance. “And you’re… cool with that?”

“Hehehe… hahaha… I’m cool with it.”

“Really?” Pinkie asked. “You don’t… look cool at all.”

“I’m totally cool. Cooler than a cold cider on a hot summer day. Cooler than the ice on the tallest mountain. Cooler than the stone we’re standing on!”

Discord’s smile on the other hand, widened. “Oh my. I think we might’ve broken her.”

“Not helping!” Twilight scolded. “Applejack. Listen. This is probably just all a big misunderstanding.”

“What’s there to misunderstand?” Applejack chuckled out of character. “Big Mac broke up with Sugar Bell. Now he’s dating Fluttershy. That’s all there is to it. Nothing else to say. Nothing else. Ha-hahaha! Besides… Zecora’s potion worked, didn’t it? I’m feeling good. I AM good. Yup yup. Nothing’s bringing me down. Nothing at all.”

The gang couldn’t help but falter back and stare. With each passing word, Applejack sounded more and more like a record that was on the verge of breaking and tearing itself apart before ripping its soul out and dumping it into a garbage fire and then spreading its ashes into the wind.

She berated and mumbled on for a good minute before her tears burst out like a broken dam. Her words choked within turning from a wild ranting to sobbing.

“Oh darling. Please don’t cry.” Everyone but Discord crowded around her.

“I’m… I’m not.” She sobbed. “I just got something in my eye, that’s all.”

“How come?” Twilight spoke up. “I thought Zecora’s potion helped.”

“My brew was meant to suppress her ire, but it cannot reject what the heart desire.” The shaman explained.

“But why?” Applejack asked, pleading for an answer. Any answer. “I don’t want to feel this way. Why am I being so obsessed with this? I shouldn’t be like this. What kind of a sister am I to feel so…”

“It’s alright darling.” Rarity reassured her. “It’s not the end of the world. But look on the bright side.”

“Which is?” Pinkie rolled her hoof around expectantly.

“I was actually waiting for one of you to fill out the blanks. I can’t do everything, you know?”

“Well I say this requires an intervention. A big one!” Pinkie suggested.

“No.” Applejack stopped them. “If Big Mac is going out with Fluttershy, then that’s their business. Who am I to get between their happiness?”

“But Applejack…” Twilight cooed at her. “What about your happiness? You have just as much right to be happy as any other pony here.”

“I’ll… find a way. Somehow. At least… this way I know Big Mac is taken. Maybe this is… a good thing.”

“You don’t truly believe that. Do you?”

“I have to Twilight. This is for the best. For… all of us.” Applejack sulked, lowering her hat to cover her eyes. “I should probably get on home before Granny starts wondering where I am. Later guys.” She didn’t bother to wait for a reply before she started trotting on home leaving her friends unable to do anything but watch her go. She hid her face under her hat covering the tears streaming down her cheeks.

A sour taste was left in the mouths of her friends. Even Discord who reveled in madness felt a little tinge in his conscience.

Once she was out of sight, Twilight shook her head. “I don’t know about you guys, but that doesn’t feel like a proper ending for this story.”

“Of that we all agree, because that left a hole inside of me.”

“But what shall we do Twilight?”

Pinkie raised her hoof up. “I got an idea! Let’s all go to Fluttershy’s place and demand answers!”

“And ask what? Why she’s dating Big Mac without telling any of us?”

“Actually Rarity… Pinkie does have a point.”

“I do?” The pinkette jolted, surprised. “I mean… of course I do!”

“The only way we’re getting any answers is from the source. We’ll ask Fluttershy. I’m sure there’s a reason why she did it.”

“Awesome! Let’s storm the castle! I’ll bring my mace.”

“Peacefully Pinkie.”

“Awww…”