• Published 1st Jan 2020
  • 2,770 Views, 51 Comments

A Day in the Life - TheHardie-Boy



A Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story within the Jake Taylorverse

  • ...
5
 51
 2,770

Fight Back

“Hold our ground.”

Starlight’s eyes widened, both showing a mix of shock and fear. “What?!”

I explained, “We have no choice, but I don’t think they are aware that we know they’re here. Maybe we can defeat them if the other villagers fight too.”

“But how can we get them to help? We can’t warn them from here.”

“Well, I have an idea for that. First, I’ll go out and charge them and you fire some magic blasts as I do. As I run, I’ll yell for the villagers to help, and if it happens fast enough, we could win.”

“Okay, but how will you fight them? I don’t want you to get hurt!”

“Don’t worry, Starlight. I might not have magic, but I’m not helpless,” I assured. “If we all strike hard and fast, we can do this. Just try to be brave, okay?”

Starlight nodded her head with a determined frown. “Okay, I will. Just be careful.”

To ease her, I gave Starlight a *boop* on her muzzle, and she giggled. After that, I gritted my teeth, grabbed a broom -- the best weapon I could find -- and got out of the door as fast as possible. After I was out, Starlight ran out behind me and fired magic blasts, knocking down five of the changelings before they could react.

As I charged, I shouted, “Everypony, come help! Changelings are here! ”

But before I got anywhere close to the changelings, a green beam of magic struck me. I screamed in pain and was knocked to the ground on my back.

“Jake!” Starlight sped to me, gritted her teeth, and fired another blast at the changeling that attacked me, knocking it to the ground.

Around the time that Starlight’s counterattack connected, the other villagers flooded out of their houses and charged towards the changelings. Starlight and the other unicorns fired magic blasts, and the others simply advanced closer, ready for battle. I forced myself to my feet, fought the pain from the previous attack, and charged, holding the broom I came out of the house with.

But the ten changelings separated to surround us while firing more blasts. The beams coming from every direction overwhelmed us, and we all were knocked to the ground from the assault. Out of desperation, Starlight created a barrier around us, but the changelings’ merciless attacks eventually shattered it once she grew too weak to maintain the shield. Soon, the changelings made all of us immobilized in some kind of a green cocoon.

As we were carried away, I could only think about stupid I was, thinking we could have won that fight. Because of me, my marefriend and good ponies might never know freedom again.

Captured