• Published 6th Nov 2019
  • 7,562 Views, 568 Comments

Crushed: The Beginnings - Silent Wing



After a tragic accident, a young man wakes up in the Castle of the two pony sisters and is now presented with a second chance at life.

  • ...
30
 568
 7,562

PreviousChapters Next
23 A day full of Surprises part two

A series of firm, but still polite knocks on the door to my office is what draws my attention from the last security reports. Annoyed about the unexpected interruption, I allow the waiting Pony in. “Aren't you and Pikewound supposed to oversee the training of the new recruits, lieutenant?” I ask surprised about the sight in front of me.

“Yes, Sir.”

“Then what are you doing in my office?” I ask slightly confused, since I hadn't been expecting to see anypony for the next hour.

As he tells me that there had been an incident at the training field a short while ago, I realize that I won’t get my work done anytime soon. With that in mind, I put everything away before I ask him to tell me what happened.

“I hope you didn’t run off to your marefriend. You know that is something I don’t tolerate.” I remind him at the last time he did this and how it delayed the promotion to his current rank, as he starts with an excuse why he wasn't able to fully witness, how it came to the situation.

“No Captain, I simply had some really urgent business to attend.” Silence dominates the room for a short moment after this, before he asks me something odd.

“With your permission I would like to use a spell my sister taught me, to show you my memories of the situation, since I doubt you would believe me otherwise.”

Immediately after I gave him permission to do as requested, he projects his memories on an empty space of the wall. I watch attentively for the next twenty or so minutes and I have to agree with him. Never would I have believed his words on this and even now I am troubling to accept what I just saw.

I think for a while about it, unsure what course of action I shall take, so that this never happens again, before going with the most obvious. “How is Corporal Pikewound doing, lieutenant?”

“He can count himself lucky, Sir. If recruit Wing had put just slightly more strength into her buck, she would have sterilized him. Otherwise, he will be fine. His horn should regrow without any problems and in around three weeks, he will be able to take up his duties again.” Lieutenant Armor informs me about his injuries and I flinch slightly. His injuries aren’t too bad, but there is one small fact that confuses me slightly.

“Did you just tell me that this filly is a recruit in the Royal Guard, lieutenant?” I ask surprised, unsure if I heard him correctly.

“No, Sir.” He replies immediately, before he adds something that surprises me even more. “But she is a member of the Night Guard and obviously Princess Luna’s protege.”

It takes me a moment to comprehend everything I learned in the last half hour and as I recount every detail of the fight in my mind, I come to one conclusion. “What a shame, she would have been a large enrichment for us.”

With that said I dismiss lieutenant Armor, before I leave the office myself and begin my search for Princess Celestia. Hopefully, I can convince her this time to dishonorably discharge that idiot Pikewound, but with him being a Noble, it isn’t as easy as I would like.

“Two more months, only two more months and nothing of this will be any of my concern anymore.” I remind myself that my retirement isn’t too far away anymore and can only wonder who Princess Celestia will chose as my successor. True, lieutenant Shining Armor has the best chances with his connections to the Royal family, but there are other, more deserving candidates as well.


Luna, Silver Sword and I had been talking now for a while. Well mostly Luna had been talking, while the two of us were listening, since we left the other Guards behind earlier. Even if I already knew a good part, of what Luna told us, there had still been the occasional new bit of information.

However, most interesting had been Silver Sword’s reactions, as he learned about the consequences, should he indeed decided to join the Night Guard. I expected him to be shocked at the prospect to lose his magic, but to my surprise, he didn’t even flinch and they continued as if nothing happened at all.

When I ask him if it doesn’t bother him to give up his magic, he just replies smiling. “Why should it? I may lose my magic, but I gain the ability to fly and to serve in Princess Luna’s Guard. Which is a fair trade if you ask me.”

In return he wants to know from me, why I am already a member of the Night Guard, but haven’t been turned into a Thestral yet, but it is Princess Luna that answers for me. “That would be too dangerous at the moment, but in a few years she will be old enough for it.”

He nods in understanding as we get up from our currently occupied seats and Princess Luna leads us through a door into a room directly connected to this. At first the room itself looks to be nothing out of the ordinary. Only a large open space with a bed and another door at the opposite side. This is until I take a better look at the ground, which is dominated by a set of in a circle arranged magic runes.

“Silver Sword, if your decision to join the Night Guard didn’t change, after everything you learned, than step into the middle of the circle and let us begin.” Princess Luna orders the pony in question, who does as requested without a moment of hesitation.

He stands there silently as Princess Luna’s horn begins to glow. His old pink armour disappear, before the glow on her horn intensifies. Time passes incredibly slow, before the first rune begins to glow, which is soon followed by another.

Slowly the other runes begin to light as well until every single rune in the room is glowing and his horn begins to shrink slowly. It doesn't take long until there isn’t anything remaining of his horn. If I didn’t know that he used to be a unicorn a short while ago, I would never had guessed.

I watch with fascination as the glow of the runes intensifies even more and slowly the other changes beging to become visible. The first thing to change are his ears, quickly followed by his eyes, before he screams loudly in pain, as his wings begin to grow.

I am shocked that they don't form outside of his body. No, to me it looks more like they were just pushing outward, through two bloody slits, already fully formed. This takes a while and either he fell unconscious from the pain, or he is just unable to scream anymore, as he falls silent soon again.

From then on the changes happen much faster and once everything is complete, Princess Luna lifts him up in her magic, carrying him to the bed and tucks him in lovingly. “Rest now, my brave child.”

With that taken care of, she turns her attention back to me and blinks, just like she had to make sure that what she sees is indeed correct. “It looks like you have been affected by some stray magic as well.”

“What do you mean by that Princess Luna?” I ask confused, not understanding what she is trying to say.

“Maybe it would be best, if you see for yourself.” She replies in earnest, before conjuring a small hoof mirror and holding it directly in front of me. At first, everything seems normal to me, but when I take a closer look I spot two tiny fangs, and I can only wonder how my family will react to this.


“And what about school?” I ask my new mom after she showed me some special things in my new room, including the hidden passage directly to her bedroom.

“I hoped you would be willing to transfer to my school for gifted ponies, but if you prefer to continue your schooling in Ponyville, that would be fine to.” She offers me and I happily choose the second option. I am sure that her school would be nice, but if with me continuing my schooling in Ponyville, I am still able to see my friends everyday.

She walks over to an unremarkable door and opens it. To my great surprise the door doesn’t hide the entrance of another walk in closet, but some kind of smooth surface. “This portal here leads to a small house in Ponyville, but only you, me, Luna, Dusty, Wingy and her parents are able to cross it.”

I need a moment to completely understand what she just explained, but as understanding hits me, my smile just grows even bigger, if that is still possible. “Does that mean I can visit her whenever I want?”

“Just make sure to let me know Rumble, okay?” She replies with that serene smile of hers, before drastically changing the topic. “Now, how about we finally change you back and then do something fun, like a short flight for example?”

That, she didn’t have to ask me twice. Being a unicorn may be great and can be lots fun, but I really miss having wings and being able to fly whenever I want. True mom took the two of us flying a few times this week, but it just isn’t the same as when you fly under your own power.

I take a few steps away from her, waiting patiently till her horn begins to glow and I slowly grow back into my own size. To my surprise I still feel the horn on my forehead as her own stops to glow, and I am wondering if something went wrong with the spell, until her horn starts to glow anew.

But this time it’s different from when she changed me into a unicorn. I don’t feel the slow change of my apandageses, but something different. As a bright flash appears, I know immediately that she botched the spell this time, when I find myself suddenly in a different place.

I am in a large hallway with moving pictures at the walls. But those pictures aren’t from any famous pony or from any events in history. No they all show different parts of my life. Confused, I stand there silently watching them until another pony enters whatever this place is.

“Follow me Rumble.” Cadence says and silently leads me down this hallway, occasionally taking a look at the moving pictures. At the end of the hallway is a set of two almost identical looking doors. But while on one door is the image of a filly, on the other is that of a colt.

I don’t know why these doors are marked like that, but I have the distinct feeling that both of them are leading back to mom. “You know that this is the only time you can choose?” Cadence asks me much to my annoyance as I am already walking towards one of the doors but I decide to ignore her and just continue, stepping through the colt door without a second thought.

After a moment of confusion I realize that I am just where I was a few minutes earlier and am looking now directly into mom's eyes. It doesn’t take long for her eyes to grow to the size of dinner plates and I can only wonder how bad she botched the spell. “You really botched that spell didn’t you?”

I ask concerned, ripping her out of her thoughts. I wait for her reply, apologizing how sorry she is for it, but that doesn’t happen. Instead she just levitates a mirror in front of me and I can only gasp in shock at what is starring back. “Even if the results aren't what we both wanted, I wouldn’t say that I botched the spell.”

I don’t know what I expected to see. Maybe me still being a unicorn or now an earth pony, even some kind of horrible abomination, but never did I expect an alicorn to look back at me. “Does this change anything?” I ask worried by this unexpected development.

“We have to keep up your magic lessons, but I think that should be all.” She replies calmly, before she picks me up in a hug, which I happily return.

Author's Note:

I made this happen a bit earlier than I originally planned, but this was coming anyway. Already can’t wait to tell you his CM story.:scootangel:

I am unsure if I shall write a chapter about the dinner I mentioned, but I don’t think so, since this story has to continue and not stay too long at one point.

As difficult as the next chapter will be, I can’t avoid it forever and I think it’s better to just get it over with. The only question is now, how will a certain being react and what horrors await her.:pinkiegasp:

Until then

Your Wingy

PreviousChapters Next