• Published 6th Nov 2019
  • 7,543 Views, 568 Comments

Crushed: The Beginnings - Silent Wing



After a tragic accident, a young man wakes up in the Castle of the two pony sisters and is now presented with a second chance at life.

  • ...
29
 568
 7,543

PreviousChapters Next
22 A day full of surprises Part one

There is still an hour left till sunrise, much to my disappointment, I am unable to sleep anymore. Annoyed by this I get up and come to the decision that I can use this time better, than just laying around.

I get up and decide to check on my guests first, finding them sound asleep, so it is an easy thing to sneak out of my room. Why they never wanted their own room is a mystery to me, but I am not one to complain, since I really enjoyed the company.

To be honest I took quite a liking to them, especially the young colt.

He is the reason why I am having trouble sleeping and that I am such a nervous wreck. With a last look at him, I sneak out of my room, just to make sure everything is ready for later.

I may be unable to tell if he will like the surprise I have for him, but I can at least make sure that everything is ready. With that in mind I make my way over to the rooms next to my private chambers, which will serve a new purpose now and have been changed so much in the last two days.

All those old scrolls and reports are gone, as are all those shelves and the old writing desk. The same happened to the old paintings, which are replaced by something that should be much more to his liking.

Satisfied that everything is ready, I leave the room I had just been inspecting, making my way to my sister’s room. As expected I find her hard at work, doing the one thing every sane creature hates. Paperwork!

“Nervous Tia?” Luna asks to my surprise, since I hadn’t expected her to notice me that easily, as I tried to sneak into her room.

“Yes.” I admit flatly, not even bothering to put on the mask I wear every time when something is troubling me, since Luna is the one pony that can look past it with frightening easy. Besides, I never did this when I am in private before, so why should I start now?

“Tia, I know this situation is difficult for you, but as you told me countless times before, there is nothing to worry about.” Luna tries to calm me down. Reassuring me that everything will turn out all right, but it does nothing to help me.

“How about we start with breakfast instead. I know that this will take your mind off it and maybe you will finally manage to teach me, how to make these delicious pancakes?”

I think for a moment about it and agree with her, once I see the wisdom behind her words. “That does indeed sound nice.”


It has been hours since we got up and had breakfast with everypony. Not only had there been Princess Luna and Princess Cadence, but also her fiance and Prince Blueblood. As I asked them how Twilight took this news that her brother is dating a Princess, everypony, except Rumble and me started laughing. We then learned that they have been dating for years now, directly under her nose and she is still clueless about it. How she managed to achieve this, is one of the mysteries I will never try to figure out.

But this isn’t even the biggest news of the day. That had been when Princess Celestia announced a big dinner for today and that all our attendance is mandatory. At this moment, we are in a badly damaged part of the castle’s garden, where we had been practicing our magic for the entire week.

At least Rumble has. I stopped with it a few days ago when I realized that unicorn magic and I are a dangerous combination. I am also quite certain that one of the ugly statues screamed in fear when I had my last magic surge, only missing it by a few inches. But everypony reassured me that this wasn't the case and that I had been the one screaming. However, this doesn’t explain why Princess Celestia looked so concerned, as I told her about it.

I take a last look at all the damage we caused (but mostly I) before I turn my gaze at the white alicorn. “Can you please turn me back now?” I ask pleadingly, fully knowing that the time isn’t exactly up yet, but I don't think that she has a problem to cut it a few hours short.

“No.” Is her unexpected reply, before she teleports the three of us back into the castle. “I have a surprise I want to show Rumble first, before I turn both of you back.”

After I made a sacrifice to a nearby flower pot, I take a look around and recognize immediately that we are close to Princess Celestia's private chambers. In fact, we are standing in front of a door, which I always assumed would be a broom closet, but obviously, I am wrong.

She opens the door and waits for Rumble to enter first, with us a few feet behind. “What is this place?” He asks her after taking a good look around, sounding as clueless as I am.

“This is your room.” She says like that would explain everything, before levitating an envelope over to him. “Maybe this will explain things a bit more.”

He takes it and carefully opens it, pulling out a set of documents, which appear to be more than just a letter. Time passes in silence, as his eyes wander over the first page, before his eyes go wide.

At first it isn’t clear to me what could have caused this reaction, but his next actions make it clear to me what is going on. He turns around, looking at Princess Celestia with hope in his eyes as he asks her, “Is this for real?”

Princess Celestia walks the few steps separating them over to him and bends down on her knees, so that they are on eye-level. “Yes Rumble, this is very real.”

As he hears this, he falls back on his haunches and sits there for a moment, obviously having trouble to comprehend this new information, before he leaps at Celestia. He buries his face in her coat, crying tears of joy, and I clearly heard him say “thank you mom”, before I decide to leave them alone.

As I back out of the room I suddenly bump into something that hadn’t been there earlier and look around to find out what I just stumble into. At first, I only see four dark blue legs, but as my gaze turns upwards, I spot the smiling face of Princess Luna. “Let’s give those two some privacy.”


After I talked for a while with her, I managed to convince Princess Luna to finally turn me back to normal, so that we can have some fun at the training grounds of the Royal Guards.

“Princess Luna, I didn’t expect you to visit us today. Shall I assemble my ponies for an inspection.” The highest officer present asks, after a quick salute and recovering from the shock, the unexpected encounter gave him.

“That won’t be necessary sergeant, I and my friend here are only here to do some training of our own.” She replies immediately while pointing with one of her hooves at me.

He looks a bit surprised as he takes a look at me, before agreeing to this. “Of course Princess, do whatever you want, but I am curious, why do you want to train with a filly. Wouldn’t one of the other Guards be a better training partner for you?” He asks in bewilderment as he leads us to a open place on the training field.

“You misunderstood my intentions lieutenant. I am not here to train with her, I am here to train her!” She replies slightly annoyed by his behavior.

“With all due respect Princess, there is no need for you to waste your time like that. I am sure one of us would be more than enough to teach that shrimp.”

Princess Luna ignores his comment for now, continuing onward to our destination and after she made me do some stretches as a warm up, addresses the obstreperous pony. “Since you claim that everypony here is capable of teaching her, do you want to prove this statement?”

I can’t hide a grin as the boisterous sergeant agrees to this without a second thought. But as Princess Luna informs him that to do so, he has to defeat me in a sparring match, he proclaims that she can’t be serious with it. Proclaiming that I wouldn’t be a challenge for him.

“If you are that confident in yourself sergeant then this shouldn’t be a problem, right?”

“No Princess.” He replies arrogantly, obviously not taking the situation seriously.

While he is discussing with Princess Luna, searching for a way out of the fight, I realize that he could really be as good as he thinks. I have to come up with a plan to make him upset, and I have to do it fast if I want to win this fight. Luckily I already have a good idea.

“100 Bits.” I proclaim and as neither Princess Luna nor he seems to understand what I mean, I am quick to clarify it. “I bet 100 Bits on my victory.”

Everypony including the training recruits nearby fall silent at this and as he doesn’t respond to this, I increase the bet by another 50 Bits, making it more tempting for him. “No, there is no way that you have that much money.” He replies, clearly surprised by the amount of money I am betting.

“True, I don’t have the Bits here, but I would only need a day to get the money from home.” I tell him honestly before I lay out another bait, to make him lose his composure. “I understand that you are scared and can’t afford to lose that much money, so I won’t blame you for backing out.”

“Did you just call me a coward?” He replies slightly upset and I realize that the first step is done, now I just have to inflame his anger.

“Yep.” I reply with a smug grin on my face. Happy that my plan to make him lose his cool is working. “Why don’t you prove to me that you are more than a scared little colt?”

By now a large crowd started to form around us, most of them openly laughing at the enraged stallion in front of me and even Princess Luna is smirking.

“Fine brat, if you want to lose your Bits so badly, why not make it a bit more interesting and we double the price?” He replies angrily, so it seems that the last comment must have worked better than I thought.

I make it look like I would really have to think about it, but since this never was an option, I reply chipper. “If that is an attempt to make me back out of the fight, then let me tell you, it isn’t a good one.”

“Any rules?” I ask with my gaze turned to Princess Luna, while the crowd is clearing an area for the fight, which looks to be a big circle of around 25 feet in diameter.

“Since this is a fight between ponies of two different tribes the maximum height you are allowed to fly will be eight feet and the maximum air time fifteen seconds.” I nod to this in understanding, waiting for her to set more conditions. “To win, you either have to make your opponent blackout or land ten hits.”

The assembled crowd gasps in shock, as they hear the unusual terms since it isn’t normal to knock your opponent out in a match like this.

When Princess Luna wants me to choose our weapons, I decide on a “Short sword, horseshoes, and no armor” for both of us. Thinking that there wouldn’t be any fitting armor for me around, I decide to remove the additional protection from him as well, to make him a bit more vulnerable.

However, I get proven wrong as they easily find a full set of armor in my size, but since it isn’t my personal set, I decline the offer to use it. When I ask why they even have an armor that would fit me, I learn that there is a junior division of the Royal Guard in Canterlot and every other major city. Still, I only take the horseshoes and ignore the rest.

I grab one of the offered swords with my mouth, before I make my way into the cleared area and signaling that I am ready. He needs a bit longer to get ready, but not by much.

Patiently, I wait at a distance of around 16 feet for him to make the first move. Twenty seconds pass until his horns light up and a trio of magical bolts is sent in my direction.

One of those beams is headed directly at me, while the two others would pass to my left and right. With no possibility to evade the center bolt, I jump up high, and with a few flaps of my wings, the beam passes only a few inches under me.

I barely landed back on the ground as he unleashes two more sets of magic bolts. This time I can’t evade and get hit once. He doesn’t give me much time to recover, unleashing another series of magic bolts. To me, that means that he wants to keep me at a distance, but I won’t allow that.

Immediately after the last bolt left his horn, I run towards him and take to the air halfway to him. With my sword held in my muzzle, I aim for his eyes and once he recognizes this, he makes a hasty step to the side.

Quickly, I change my sword from muzzle to my right forehoof, before I pull up and slightly turn into the direction he stepped, chipping of the tip of his horn. His scream of pain and the shocked gasps of the crowd is music to my ears.

I quickly land behind him and switch my sword back into my muzzle, before I close the distance between us once more rapidly. Without giving him any chance to recover, I buck him in the side, but not causing any real damage.

I quickly get some distance between the two of us, when I realize that he is recovering much faster from my attack than expected. I really had hoped to land a few more hits, but at least I am now two hits ahead and he is unable to use his magic.

“You, you will pay for this bitch.” He says through gritted teeth, before rushing blindly in my direction. I sidestep easily and use the opportunity to hit both of his left legs with my sword. The few moments he needs to come to a stop, I use to bring once more some distance between us.

As he turns around he grimaces in pain. I don’t care if it comes from the damaged horn or the slightly bleeding cuts on his legs. Instead, I am quite satisfied, that I made him so upset and he lets his emotions get the better off him as he charges once more.

This time however I don’t avoid a collision, instead I wait patiently till he is almost directly in front of me, before I make myself as small as possible. He runs harmlessly over me and as it’s almost too late for me, I put all my strength in one mighty buck.

The high pitched scream coming from behind me tells me, that my aim was true and I hit the target perfectly. I turn around and looking at the helpless pony behind me before I walk over and make four small cuts on his back, finally finishing the match.

I watch for a moment longer at the beaten pony before I turn my gaze from him and search in the crowd for Princess Luna. Much to my surprise, there aren’t only the recruits from earlier standing around, but quite a few Bat Ponies have joined them and lieutenant Shining Armor is standing next to a very happy looking Princess Luna.

Lieutenant Armor on the other hoof doesn’t look very happy, but I am sure the small bag of Bits he is hoofing over to the Princess isn’t the only reason for this.

Satisfied and quite a bit tired, I walk over towards them and giving a quick salute, before asking the lieutenant. “How long have you been watching sir?”

“Long enough to know that it was a huge failure to bet on this fool.” He shakes his head as he says this, like he would have trouble to believe that I actually won. “Letting his emotions get the better of himself is a mistake I have only seen by rookies, at least till now.” He adds disappointed.

“It really is a shame that we lost you to the Night Guard.” Are his last words before he walks off towards the beaten stallion, to ensure he is cared for properly.

As I am about to walk back to the castle, one of the unicorns, which had been watching the entire time aproachs us. “Princess Luna, can I ask you something?”

“Did I hear the lieutenant correctly, as he said that this young filly is part of the Night Guard?” He asks her, after receiving permission to speak freely.

“Indeed recruit, why do you ask?” She asks a bit surprised, clearly not expecting this question.

“How? I always thought only Thestrals are allowed to join?”

“No, but if you are interested in a transfer to the Night Guard, the three of us need to talk.” She replies in earnest, gesturing for the two of us to follow her.

Author's Note:

Thank you guys for 2K views. You are amazing.

Now this Chapter turned out to be longer than I expected. I hope you liked it so far and I am sure you can already guess what will happen in the next one.

Also, the time between season one and two is passing fast and I find myself at a loss, if anypony has some ideas for it’s first episode, please send me a pm.

Your Wingy

Also once more huge thanks to rikithemonk for his help with edditing this Chapter.

PreviousChapters Next