• Published 6th Nov 2019
  • 7,551 Views, 568 Comments

Crushed: The Beginnings - Silent Wing



After a tragic accident, a young man wakes up in the Castle of the two pony sisters and is now presented with a second chance at life.

  • ...
29
 568
 7,551

PreviousChapters Next
10 First day of school

Four days have passed since I met aunt Cloudchaser for the first time. Our first encounter wasn't the best one, but it could have been worse. From the second day on she helped me in many things, but mostly with my writing and reading. We talked a lot in this time and I can understand that she is upset with mommy. She was just too shocked about all this new revelations in such a short time and I can't blame her for that.

Nontheless we became closer and now, thanks to her help, I am standing with mommy in front of the Ponyville schoolhouse, sooner then I had hoped for. We have to wait there for several minutes until miss Cheerilee comes up the road from town, with a surprised look on her face. "Good morning miss Cheerilee," mommy greets her and we wait patiently for her.

"Good morning Flitter." She replies when she makes the last few steps to us. "And good morning to you as well." She adds with a look in my direction, that makes me uncomfortable and I scoot back a bit.

Only to be stopped by mommys outspread wing, she turns around and after a quick nuzzle from her she tells me. "Wingy, there is no need to be scared, miss Cheerilee is one of the nicest ponies I know." Her words have a calming effect on me and I look back to the mare, that is supposed to be my new teacher, before mommy nudges me slightly, which I take as a sign to introduce myself. "Hello miss Cheerilee, I am Silent Wing."

"Hello Silent Wing, I take it you are here to join my class?" She asks me and I give a short nod as reply, before she offers us. "Then maybe we should continue this in my office."

The sentence is barley spoken, when miss Cheerilee leads us into her office where all three of us sit down into not very comfortable chairs. After filling out some paperwork they both begin to talk about important things, like payment or the upcoming class trip to Canterlot next spring, before mommy fills her in about my problems with reading and writing. From her reaction, I can see that she doesn't like this, but she doesn't say anything about it.

Mommy leaves shortly after that and while miss Cheerilee begins her lessons with the rest of the foals, I stay back in her office, working on a placement test which has to be done till recess. The math part is the easiest one and I finish it in no time, but when it comes to geography and history I have huge problems, since the show only coffers glimpses of this. When I see the Equish part of the test, I don't even bother to give it a try and just decide to take a nap instead.


After a while miss Cheerilee is back and gently wakes me up, before she takes a look at the test. After some time she let it fall back on her desk with a sigh and looks at me, with concern in her eyes. "Was the Equish part so boring that you fell asleep?"

"No, I just didn't make it and there was nothing else to do." I reply honest, which maybe isn't my brightest idea.

Her look of concern turns into one of disapproval, when she asks me "Why," which just confuse me even more. "Why didn't you try?" She asks me after a while, in a more clear way, thinking that I didn't got what she asked the first time.

"Why bother trying, when you know you fail anyway?" Is my short reply.

"There is nothing to fail in this test, since we still have some time left, why don't you give it another try." She says when she gives me back the Equish part. Unwilling to argue with her or get into any trouble, I just pick my pencil up, before I go to work on this part for the test for the next fifteen minutes.

"For that you thought, that you would fail, you did surprisingly well on this." Miss Cheerilee tells me after a look on my test and then takes a quick glance on her clock. "Oh my, is it already that late?" She exclaims in mock shock, before she gets up and mentions for me to follow her.

She leads me into the classroom and let me wait behind her desk while she goes back out, to get the other foals, which gives me the opportunity, to examine the room a bit more. To my surprise there is one major difference then to the classroom in the show. Where in the show there had only been three rows with three desks each, here it has five rows with four desks each and a few spare ones standing at the wall in the back. The rest is mostly the same with the colorful walls, the large windows and the large blackboard at the front.

It doesn't take long till miss Cheerilee is back with all the other foals and after they settled down, she address the class. "Like I said earlier, a new student will join us from today." After a short gesture from her I step forwards and become nervous again, feeling all the attention focused directly on me. "Would you please say a few words?"

"Hi, I am Silent Wing," is all I am able to say before I am bombarded with so many questions, that I barely can understand any.

Miss Cheerilee is quick to put an end to this and after a short speech from her, she gives Archer, a light blue earth pony filly with dark blue mane the chance to go first. "Are you new in town?"

"Yes." I simply answer before miss Cheerilee moves on to a light green colored Pegasus filly with purple mane, called Cyan Skies.

"Where are you from?"

"I don't really know," I admit a bit unsure. "The last thing I remember is waking up in the old Castle, before I found my way to Ponyville." I look around the ponies in class and I am glad that I don't see Apple Bloom. Like her sister, she is able to see through any lie, even if what I told is true, at least for the time after I arrived in Equestria.

"Rainy Feather you are next." Miss Cheerilee informs a yellow Pegasus filly with light cyan mane and tail in the last row.

"Can you fly already?"

"Not yet, but some awesome ponies are teaching me." I reply happy, when I remember that mama D promised me some more lessons for today.

"Okay, Princess Erroria*. This is the last question before we have to go back to our lessons." She tells the class, which is followed by multiple groans, before a pale yellow Pegasus filly with a two toned violet mane speaks up.

"What is your favorite hobby?"

"Expect learning how to fly?"I ask her and after she confirmed this with a nod, I reply in a dreamy voice. "Stargazing. There is only one thing more beautiful than Princess Lunas night sky."

I take a short look at a certain grey Pegasus Colt in the last row, causing him to blush. before miss Cheerilee orders me to take the only free seat between him and Princess Erroria. "I know you are all eager to get to know our new student better, but this has to wait till lunch break." Which is followed by another series of growns, before we spend the next two hours learning more about the Griffon war from 32 to 35 a. D..

When the Bell finally rings, I grab my lunchbox and follow all the other Foals out to the playground. Sadly, all benches at the picnic tables are already occupied. I walk till the end of the schoolhouse, turn around it's corner and lean against a nearby tree. The sellerie and Carrotsticks in my lunchbox don't survive long and I am about close my eyes for a nap, when I hear voices coming into my direction.

"You sure she went this way?" the first one asks.

"Yes, I saw her going this way." A second answers a tad annoyed that they doubt him.

I hear some more arguing, but I stop to care and close my eyes, waiting till sleep catches me. However, fate has other plans for me and only two or three minutes later, I hear hoofsteps again before a voice speaks up directly in front of me. "Hey Wingy."

I crack my eyes open and see a smiling Rumble standing between two pegasi, a unicorn and an earthpony colt."Hey Rumble."

I quickly take a look at them and recognize three out of four. "Wingy, those are Rainy Feather, Ruby Pinch, Button Mash and Princess Erroria." He tells me pointing at each of them with his hooves.

"Hi, I am Wingy." I reply, looking at all of them before I get a idea. "Wanna play some tag?"

This is meet with cheers and of course I end up chasing them all over the playground, till I am able to catch Dinky and bolt back into the direction I came from. It changes for six more times till I am it again and I decide to go after Rumble with something in mind, that he would consider sinister, Since I plan to do this in front of the entire school. I manage to chase him into a corner, where he is unable to escape me. He realize this to and waits till I tag him, but instead of just tagging him, I nuzzle his check.**

We both stand there for a moment, before I hear giggling coming from behind me and see all the fillies of our small group and a dumbfounded Button Mash staring at the two of us. "What, you can't deny that he is cute." I ask the fillies and at least Rainy Feather blushes visible.

I want to ask her something, but am interrupted by the bell. I race back to my spot from earlier and grab my lunchbox, before storming into the classroom. I wouldn't have rushed back into the class, had I known that I have to suffer through Equish lessons for the rest of the day.

I stuff my things back into my saddlebags and place them on my back, before slowly walking towards the exit of the almost empty classroom. I am about to go out when Rainy Feather blocks my way, asking me. "Hey Wingy, want to have a sleepover next weekend?"

"Sure." I reply in excitement. "Did you ask anypony else?"

"Not yet, but I hope that Rori and Ruby will be able to make it." She answers with the same excitement.

"What about Button and Rumble?" I curriosly want to know from her.

"No, mommy only lets me go to sleepovers, if it's only Fillys." She replies with a frown on her face.

"That sucks." I reply not less disappointed, before we both walk out into the fresh air. "Rainy, who is that mare next to my mommy?" I ask her pointing with one wing to her, while she continues to talk with a mare that looks almost identical then Rainy Feather, would it not be for the slightly darker coat.

"Thats my mom." She answers. We both look at each other with a grin on our faces. "Cool, then we can ask them now."

"I just hope she let's me go Rainy." I reply feeling nervous all of a sudden.

"Why shouldn't she, our mothers know each other." She asks me with a smile, wiping my doubt away.

We walk over towards them and both greet them with a hug, ripping them out of there conversation. "Hey Wingy, how was your first day at school?"

I ignore her question and go directly to the part, which I consider more important. "Mommy can I go to Rainys sleepover next weekend?"

She looks surprised at me, clearly not expecting that, but instead of answering me, she just urns around and asks Rainys mother. "Raindrops would that be okay for you?"

"Sure Flitter, I promise that they will have tons of fun."

"Now since that is fix," She says with a smile. "How was the rest of school?"

Her words had barely left her muzzle, when I reach into my saddle bags to give her the letter, I got earlier from miss Cheerilee. She unfolds the letter with her wings and starts to read it in silence. The farther her eyes wander down on the parchment, the more her expression changes from happy, to rage. "Raindrops, can you watch her for a moment, I have to clear something with Cheerilee." She asks, not even bothering to wait for an answer, before she makes her way to miss Cheerilee.

Both, Rainy and Raindrops look confused before turning their eyes to me and Raindrops is the first to ask. "What was in that letter?"

"That she wants to send me back to preschool, should my Equish not improve significant till the end of the month." I reply head hanging low, not sure if I shall be disappointed above my bad results or upset about how little time she gives me to improve.

"But that is in three days." Raindrops replies, shock clearly written all over her face.

"I know." I reply, slowly tears begin to run down my checks, but before it can turn into more I feel two hooves wrapped around my neck and someone pressing herself into my chest. I return the gesture out of instinct and when I look up after a few moments, a small smile begins to spread on my face, when I realize who is hugging me. "Thanks Rainy."

We hold each other till mommy returns and she assures us, that everything is fine and that she talked miss Cheerilee out of that nonsense. Since Raindrops wants to talk a bit more with Flitter, we head to the park and while the two mares talk, I spend a good part of the afternoon playing with Rainy.

Author's Note:

Thanks for over 400 views, you guys really know how to make my day.:pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

Not sure if you are interested but that is the seating arrangements in miss Cheerilees classroom:

Front Row: Twist, Sunny days, Snails, Snips
Second Row: Pipsqueak, Peachy Pie, Cyan Sky, Featherweight
third Row: Archer, Button Mash, Ruby Pinch, Scootaloo
Fourth Row: Diamond Tiara, Apple Bloom, Silver Spoon, Dinky Doo
Last Row: Rainy Feather, Rumble, Silent Wing, Princess Erroria

* After browsing the wiki, I played with the thought to make her an Alicorn like in one episode, but decided against it, even if Celestias and Lunas face would have been priceless, should they met her. Maybe I let this happen in a separate story.

**Originally I thought about kissing Rumble here, but that would have made things progress a bit too fast.

Edit 22.05.: While going over this chapter again, I realized that I totally forgot to give Sweetie Belle a place in the classroom. :facehoof:  Sorry about that. Just imagine her to be the only one in the sixth row.

PreviousChapters Next