• Published 12th Nov 2019
  • 2,550 Views, 50 Comments

My Little Pony: The Light of Harmonys Hope - kahnac



A great change is coming to Equestria for good, and ill. As mantles are passed down, and alliances are forged, Prince Dusk Shine must cope with all that transpires, realize his destiny, and save the world from coming Darkness. But he won't be alone.

  • ...
4
 50
 2,550

The Beginning of the End Ch. 2

"Dusk!" Starlight called out, knocking on the doors to the map room. It had been some time since the monumental declaration from the princesses saw given, and ever since then, Dusk had been cooped inside. Only Spike had been at his side in the round room. But now he finally got to calling her to the castle for an urgent matter via letter. The letter didn't actually state what exactly what the matter was, and as such she had no idea on what to expect. "You in here? I mean, with the students out for the summer, and the school almost finished with repairs, i can only imagine how many schedules, and curriculums you must be-" Any remark in her head instantly died when she saw absolutely nothing of the sort.

Instead, it looked like Dusk was overseeing the map, which was depicting all of Equestria, and the surrounding territories. "Okay, so there's also the Kirin nation to add in. And I wonder if the Diamond Dogs are still terrified of ponies too much to make some kind of trade. They'd be good at working a mineral trade. Maybe with the resources we amass, we could help get Griffonstone back in at least SOME semblance of its old self." He continued muttering as he scribbled down different notes, and other info he would require. Or at least, what he thought he might need to help him keep an order of priorities for when he assumes the throne. All the while, Starlight gave him a confused look as he ignored her. The only who actually knew she was here was Spike as he flew next to her, and explained, "He's been at this forever. But I honestly think he's improved since that Trivia Tournament he took Pinkie to last week."

Starlight visibly shuddered at the memory of how frantic Dusk actually was that day. He was so obsessive, it actually creeped her out. "Thank Celestia." She actually said in relief, before remarking, "Though I honestly expected this room to be littered with scrolls and lists of plans, and junk."

"I know!" Spike exclaimed. "This is usually when he gets to the "My plan needs a plan" stage of his freakouts. But I think he might actually be learning not to freak out so much."

Starlight actually smiled at that. Right before she jokingly said, "Now, if only he'd get that muttering habit fixed." She then called out, "Dusk!" Again, he had no actual acknowledgement of her presence, and continued his muttering, and scribbling. Finally having enough, Starlight walked up next to him on his seat, and yelled in his ear "DUSK!"
The alicorn yelped, and dropped all of his items as his concentration broke. When he finally saw Starlight, he finally relaxed, and too a breath. "Oh, Starlight! I'm happy you're here." He then gave her a mildly annoyed look. "But wasn't there an easier way to get my attention than yelling loud enough to blow my head off?"

"How else was I gonna get you to stop Dusking, and notice me?"

Dusk gave his friend a flabbergasted expression. "Are you freaking serious? YOU use that word, too?! Well, ex-CUUUUSE me! It isn't everyday one's asked to ascend, and take over for the rulers of Equestria permanently! I'm just trying to process, and plan ahead for when I eventually have to run the whole country." After a moment, his demeanor became less frantic, and he said, "Plus, I have to figure out what i'm going to do with this place." Indicating the castle of Friendship with a wave of his hoof. Starlight tilted her head a little to the side in confusion. "What do you mean by that?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Dusk asked, clear concern in his voice. "Taking over for the Princesses means I have to move back to Canterlot, and leave Ponyville behind. That includes my friends, the castle, and even my school! What if the map calls all of us together without warning.......though it has been a long time since any of us were summoned by the map." Dusk actually pointed out, before he noticed Spike about to say something. "And no, Spike, I am NOT making Ponyville the new capital of Equestria to consider that possibility. I might be ruling this country, but that doesn't mean I intend to alter eons of tradition for my own desires." He then turns to Starlight. "Which is actually why I called you here, Starlight." He then grew nervous, much to Starlight's own confusion. "With.....with everything that's happened, and with what's going to happen, i'm going to need at least somepony to look after my castle, and the School." A nervous smile then crossed his muzzle as he seemed worried as to how Starlight would react. "That's.......kinda why I was hoping to ask if YOU would be willing to not only keep an eye on the castle.......but......also become Headmare of the school? Like......permanently?" he chuckled nervously.

Now, it was Starlight's time to freak out over something. "Wait, what?! You want ME to look after the school of friendship?!" She then began having a panic attack, and lay on her belly in front of Dusk Shine, panting frantically as she spoke. "I-....I can't! Don't you remember what happened the LAST TIME you left me in charge?! What if I mess up again?! What if something worse happens?! What if-?!"

"STARLIGHT!" Dusk shouted to the unicorn, trying to calm her down. "Calm down, please! You're not going to do yourself any favors freaking out - that's supposed to be MY job." He quipped, trying to lighten the mood as he stood Starlight back up on her hooves. "Besides, you have NOTHING to worry about. I'm the one who messed big when it came to the school." Spike wanted to protest again, same as Starlight, but kept quiet as Dusk continued. "But you've proven how adept you are at leadership, and other important factors that make you more than qualified. You're WAY smarter than I am, and Headmare sounds alot more appealing than Headstallion." he then placed a hoof on her shoulder. "Trust me when I say how much I believe in you. You've got this!"

Not more than a second later, and the violet unicorn was smirking. "And so do you." She chuckled, putting her hoof into the stallion's chest. "You see what I did there? You just said everything you needed to hear to know how qualified you are for the job. Now, you can trust ME when I say that you've got nothing to worry about." Dusk was a little surprised by her reverse-psychology attempt. And in some way, it did work just a little. He chuckled only a little at her attempt to cheer him up. But then he looked over at the map, and suddenly, he got a bad feeling in his heart about something. As though he could feel something terrible was about to happen. "I hope you're right, Starlight."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All had been well in the Crystal Empire, even after Queen Chrysalis' secret invasion ploy was revealed. The citizens within remained in a state of peace, and happiness as they had always been since they came back to Equestria. But their happiness was not to last. For a familiar, howling cry echoed across the city as the skies darkened to a familiar, orange hue, and black smoke began to close around the empire. "It can't be!" "He's back" No! It's not possible" "Please, don't let it be him!", were the cries of the crystal ponies who recognized the signs of the demonic tyrant who enslaved them all. The evidence only grew as the entire city began to convert into black crystal. Spires of the dark material sprouting like thorns spread throughout the city.

And in a matter of minutes, with the exception of the castle, the whole city had embodied the malice, and cruelty of its overlord.

Speaking of whom, as one of the families ran to safety, their young foal almost ran into a dark crystal as it sprouted. They backed up in time to collide with the front leg of King Sombra, himself. Grinning maliciously at the colt who was trembling in his shadow. The fact he was displaying his full set of predatory teeth didn't help in the matter. However, his mother, AND father were daring enough to shield their child from the tyrannical unicorn with threatening glares. Sombra was quite surprised by this defiant display. The time spent out of his shadow had allowed the Crystal Ponies fear of the tyrant to dim, but Sombra merely harkened this instance to parental instincts kicking in. Either way, it gave him an opportunity to test a spell he had yet to use: he fired a projection of his purple-smoking, toxic green eyes at the group, and watched as their coats completely greyed, and their eyes turned the same sickly green color. All emotion robbed from them in body, and in mind as they said in unison, "We are servants of the Darkness."

Sombra laughed in pleasure, seeing how successful his spell truly was. And thankfully, both Grogar, AND Tirek were oh, so gracious enough to give him a boost in power. So, with a flare of his horn, it was a simple matter to utilize the Dark Crystals around them to begin striking every crystal pony with his influence, and enthralling them as he did the family. However, he was cut off by a spear almost hitting him as he was distracted. To his surprise, a garrison of crystal guards were charging at him. All weapons drawn, and determination in their eyes. He could sense how afraid all of them were, but they rushed on past it. The shadow king had to admire their dedication......foolish as it is. But what surprised him even more was the pony in golden armor who appeared to be leading the charge against him. A pegasus stallion with yellow fur, and a bright blue mane whose cutie mark was a shield with a lightning bolt in the center. This one was even less afraid of him than the others, and it got the interest of the Shadow King. "Ah! So the usurper ponies are not the only outsiders who reside here now. And yet, they end up choosing a pegasus for their guard? FEH! I imagine you're half the reason these fools are playing dress-up as soldiers, now."

"We are soldiers, tyrant!" The pegasus proclaimed. "I am Commander Flash Sentry, and we are the Crystal Guard of the Empire! As long as all stand, you will NOT take this place away from the innocent ponies who live here."

King Sombra groaned in irritation. "Always hated heroic speeches - especially from upstarts who are far too big for the shoes they fill." He then glared at the shorter, younger pegasus. "So tell me, boy......do you, and these insolent worms think you can truly stop me?"

"Even if we can't, we sure as hay won't give any quarter to a monster like you! Crystal Guard: protect the empire! Make this demon pay for his crimes, and let's bring him to justice once, and for all!" At his command, the guard either launched their spears at the shadow king, or began charging him with their spears in hoof. Sombra sniffed in disdain, and simply said, "Pitiful." Shadows sprouted out from beneath him, and rent the launched spears asunder. And when the guards who attempted to spear him got close enough, those shadows returned under his hooves, and then sprouted into a large podium of dark crystal that rose him high into the air as the guards collided with the spire. Taking advantage of their collision-based dazes, Sombra crafted a helmet of pure darkness.......exactly as the ones Dusk Shine had seen in the dark future where Sombra waged war with Equestria: The Darkhelm. And with another thought, he cast a spell to clone the helmet, just as he forced the first few onto the recovering guards, who ironically had their own helmets knocked off of their heads in the collison. They were too slow to avoid the Darhelms that were attached to them - like the ones he cast his mental curse on, their eyes began glowing in the same toxic green light to symbolize their enthrallment.

The worst fate forced onto them, being forced to relive an endless nightmare as their bodies obeyed their master.

With a ruthless grin, Sombra gave his command. "Now, slaves! Arise!" His horn ignited, and the dark crystals began charging with the dark magics they held. All of them unleashing his curse on the crystal ponies: either placing them under his control as mere thralls, or encasing them in the dark armor of his own Guard. Only a few guards were able to avoid the spell thanks to their speed. Flash chief among the pegasi. And to his horror, Sombra then finished his command. "Now, my crystal slaves: seek out the fools who elude me, and bring them to my shadowy embrace! Return the Empire to the ruler of your one, true master! HAIL KING SOMBRA!"

"HAIL KING SOMBRA!" shouted the enthralled ponies under his control.

Already, the guards in Flash's group suddenly turned on their fellow guard. As Sombra expected, the guards were reluctant to fight, and possibly harm their own comrades, and possibly friends. This made it all the easier for them to eventually subdue them, and the crests that matched the red pincers on Sombra's crown to cast the same spell that formed Darkhelms on them, as well. Flash himself was left to fight alone, and fought valiantly. But it soon became apparent that he would need to fight harder, or fall to the dark king's will. Deciding to get serious, Flash pulled out a golden, double-bladed glaive. Taking to the air, he adopted a bipedal stance as he swung it around repeatedly before adopting a battle stance.

"Hmmm." Sombra hummed in actual interest. "Interesting. Perhaps you ARE a commander if you receive a weapon as grand as that." Then his slaves began to surround the pegasus. "But will it, alone, protect you against my might?"

Flash only gave him a glare as he said, "Your might? Is that what you call sending an army of ponies to take down one enemy? All that shows is how cowardly, and weak you are!" The king's eyes snapped wide open in shock. And for a moment, it twitched in complete anger. Slowly, however, his eyes began to narrow into glowing, green, purple-smoking slits as his muzzle formed a frightening scowl. "What.......did you just say?" he said in a low, and reserved tone that betrayed the anger, and bloodlust in his tone. Flash, caring not for his enemies anger, goaded him on further. "Are you deaf, or just stupid? I'm calling you a coward! A coward who hides behind his slaves instead of facing his enemies stallion-to-stallion! Was that clear enough for you?" He then smirked with smug satisfaction. "Or are you just too old to hear properly, King Sombrero?"

"..............You just sealed your fate, boy." Sombra answered in a low, dangerous tone. A hoof raised, and called back the slaves. A minute passed as the two met in a glaring gaze. Suddenly, to Flash's surprise, Sombra vanished in black smoke. Confused about where his enemy went, Flash kept his eyes open as he held his glaive in his hooves. Then, suddenly, a shadow emerged from below! His fast reflexes saved him just in time from being impaled by a large spike of crystal, with King Sombra riding it while holding his scowl. His body then turned to black shadow, save for his eyes, and he slithered through the air at Flash. The latter barely had any time to block a deadly scythe that emerged out of the shadow, and continuously slashed at him until he held it in a deadlock as Sombra reemerged in physical form. The two opposing weapons continuously pushing into each other to decide the stronger. Flash managed to redirect the scythe, and began striking at the shadow king, who was now the one blocking the attacks.

Then Flash jammed one of his blades into his chest, and where his heart should be.

Flash smirked in hopeful satisfaction. But that smirk died when he noticed how unaffected Sombra appeared by the attack. His expression appeared bored as he said, "Is that your best?" Sombra began laughing in amusement as Flash struggled to pull his glaive out of the Umbrum's chest. Had he been a second slower, he might have been slashed by the scythe. At the right moment, he sprung backwards, avoiding the swing of the scythe, and watched in horror as the wound he caused erupted in smaller, black tendrils of shadows, and reknitted the hole he made. With grim satisfaction, Sombra began to slowly approach the downed Pegasus - exactly like a hunter about to claim its prey. "All you ponies are the same: you think bravery, and courage can save the day, and earn you all the glory. But I am above the common, mortal, weak, and lisenchous droves who think so highly of themselves. I rendered entire armies to crystal dust. I conquered an entire nation in less than a day. Even the Princesses themselves could not defeat me, and in the end resorted to using the Elements of Harmony in their second strike - their only success was reducing me to shadow, and sealing me in the depths of the Underworld, unknowingly hidden in the Frozen North. And in the end, I took their precious Empire away, and ensured it would never belong to any but me. I am beyond the powers of this world, pegasus. I am emissary of the Darkness, himself! You are only a breezy compared to me, and the godly powers I possess."

Flash finally got back on his feet, but then took to the air. "And does that godly power including talking ponies to death?" Growling in rage, Sombra slammed the bottom of his scythe into the ground as his whole, entire body became engulfed in shadow. Then, exploded into a nightmarish mass of shadow. One that sent tendrils that changed into crystal spikes, intended to impale him. He evaded those by the skin of his teeth, but that wasn't all. He also had to deal with the dark mass attempting to cut, and slash at him with its own tendrils that took bladed forms. Each he cut down only grew back in an instant, and the attack of Crystal Spikes, and bladed tendrils continued as Flash flew through the city. Soon, he was galloping through the streets as the dark mass of King Sombra pursued him. The tendrils attempting to sting at him like scorpion tails from multiple angles. It even formed a clawed hand that attempted to grab him, but he jumped in time. A shame he also now had to knock aside every Shadow Guard, as Sombra calls his warriors, that began trying to catch him. Sombra, his head fully visible, formed a bipedal, winged body that held a large, black sword of dark crystal that swung at Flash as he slithered along the ground in his shadow. Every structure he hit shattered to pieces as he used his full strength to cleave Flash in two. He created a dust cloud that the pegasus disappeared into, but it made no difference.

Because now he was enjoying the hunt.

"Oh, Sentry!" he called out in a freaky, sing-song voice as he returned to his true form. "Where are you, Sentry?" He then sneered. "You can run, but you cannot hide - because I can smell your fear, and blood!" Another spike shot towards a building, and Flash jumped out from behind. A fierce, and determined look in his eyes as he shouted. "The only thing I fear is failing the Prince, the Princess, AND their daughter, demon! But I'm not ever going to run, and i'm never going to hide while you terrorize them!" He began channeling all of his strength into his wings as he charged at Sombra with his glaive in hoof, dodging every tendril, and spike heading towards. "You're the one who should be afraid! Because this is where it ends!!!" With a roar he shot at Sombra like a bullet - so fast, the Shadow King barely had time to register the pegasus zooming by him, and sliding to a halt with his glaive in one hoof, while he stood on his three legs, panting while his wings flared. For a moment, nothing seemed to have happened that Sombra noticed. Then came an odd, sore feeling in his neck that could be explained, at first.

Then, in only a moment, the head of the tyrant fell to the ground, and rolled off in a different direction. The main body only stood for a moment, before it finally toppled like a statue. A look of horror was on the unicorn's head as the light faded from his eyes.....and his body parts melted into shadow into the glistening, crystal street. The sizzling sound of his melting form alerted Flash to the shadow king's demise. A heavy sigh of relief escaped his throat as he put his weapon away, and closed his wings to stand on all four legs. As he turned towards the mark that symbolized Sombra's body melting into nothing, he said, "Guess it's finally over, then." At least, that's what he thought for a few minutes. After a while, he began noticing how nothing around him had changed. The ponies were all still enthralled, and the city encased in Dark Crystal. But that couldn't be right if Sombra was dead.

Startling realization came to Flash too late, and the ground below him erupted with dark tendrils that shot him into the air, before completely slamming into him, and pinning him to the ground.

The brave pegasus struggled to escape from the mass holding him, but it proved fruitless as it converted into crystal. To make matters worse, the very unicorn he had decapitated earlier arose out of the shadows with an amused, and triumphant grin. "Impressive, Flash Sentry." He complimented. "Most impressive, I have to admit. Even Luna, the warrior princess, never attempted to cut off my head when we first clashed." Lightly did he growl as he said, "before she, and her sister ambushed me with those damnable jewels the second clash." His demeanor returned to its delighted form as he gazed upon the struggling pegasus. "You have a true, warrior's spirit. One of many qualities I greatly respect in an opponent. And yet, now that I consider it, we do not need to be enemies. If you agreed to serve as commander of MY army, I could guarantee a modicum of.......restraint." Flash quit struggling for a minute to glare at the unicorn. "Think of it, Sentry: the station you've been given now, it's nothing compared to the power I offer you. Accept my offer, and I will make you greater beyond you wildest dreams."

"You're insane if you actually think i'd even consider that!" Flash grunted, making Sombra scowl in disappointment. "Pity. You would be more useful as an elite warrior. But if you will not be my knight, " his eyes began glowing, and his horn flared, "you WILL be my pawn. Like all the others."

"Never." Flash growled. "Do whatever you want to me, but I will NEVER give in! I won't submit to you, and I won't betray my captain and prince, or princess cadance and their foal! I'll keep on fighting, even when you slap one of those helmets on me, or cast that mind spell on me! I'll fight until the very end - even if it costs me everything!"

An evil smile crossed Sombra's face. "You should learn to choose your words more carefully - because your defiance has ensured one thing: your end is now!" And with that, he unleashed his most powerful, magical blast, and struck Flash Sentry where he was cemented. His cries of agony were the last sounds any would ever hear of the young Commander. Once Sombra was done, there was no sign of the Pegasus - only a scorch mark where he once stood. The black-hearted king chuckled at his hoofwork as he mused to himself. "So passes a gallant, yet foolish opponent, and thus is the death of the hero." He then used his magic to call forth his army from across the city - which had now become the entire population of the city. "Now for me to reclaim my rightful place." Then a fiendish idea came to mind. "And that young upstart already provided me an easier - and more amusing way of doing it." He then marched on the castle, with his army of darkness in complete formation behind him. When he was close enough, he created a staircase of dark crystal leading straight up to the front balcony. The moment his hoof touched the surface, his dark magic began encasing the entire castle, and remaking it in his image once again.

All this, Sunburst observed through a spyglass in the throne-room with grim despair. At that exact moment, Shining Armor galloped into the throne room with a two guards at his side, fully decked in his armor. "We have word Sombra's breached the castle!" He arrived just in time for to witness his wife send a desperate message to Dusk before it was too late. Once it was sent, she got down from her throne, and approached the group of ponies that gathered in front of her. Both she, and Shining noticed he had a rather forlorn look on his face. "Sunburst?" Shining asked in concern. "What did you see out there?" Cadence asked ext, fearing the worst. Taking a deep breath, Sunburst broke the news he knew the royals would be affected by. "I'm afraid..... Commander Flash is gone."

Both royals, and the guards had shocked looks as the prince asked worriedly, "Gone? What do you mean?"

"He lead our forces against Sombra, and fought as best as he could." Sunburst said sadly. "He was the last pony standing, and he gave Sombra a good fight." His head lowered along with his ears as his tone sombered up more. "It wasn't enough. Sombra killed him where he stood. He's gone." The pair could only stand in silence, and quietly grieve for the loss of the brave pegasus. Both had admired, and respected his courage, compassion, and willingness to protect others. For Shining, it was especially hard given that he trained the stallion personally when he was assigned to the empire. He appreciated his skill as a soldier, and how he kept to the code of the royal guard. It was no wonder he ascended the ranks almost as fast as he did when he was Captain of the Canterlot Guard. Cadence shed a few tears, and Shining glued his eyes shut in pain, and anger. Both knew there would be a time for true grieving, but now there was a crisis afoot, and they both knew loss was inevitable at some point in life. The best they could do was honor Flash's sacrifice by fighting on. "Then we need to make sure it wasn't in vain!" Cadence declared. "Right!" Shining agreed. "I'll find whatever guards we have left, and mount a defense. Even if he has the Crystal Heart, we can still hold him off till Dusk and the others show." Then he suddenly remembered something, and asked Sunburst, "Sunburst, where's Flurry Heart?"

"She was asleep in her room right before......" all eyes widened in horror when the implications came to mind. And as soon as all of them arrived to her room, their worst fears were realized as they observed King Sombra himself: grinning with malicious satisfaction while hold Flurry Heart by her hind leg in his aura, all while she cried out "mama" in fear. Hearing her sweet darling filly sound so scared almost caused Cadence to attack Sombra head on. Were it not for Shining Armor holding her back, it might have been the biggest mistake of their lives - something especially noted when they saw the huge scythe right next to the infant, tilted in a vertical angle. Ready to swing at any given moment. The fact he was willing to threaten an infant at such a young age like this only increased the royal couple's disdain for him. "You won't get away with this!"

Sombra only chuckled in amusement while attempting to scratch Flurry's nose like a pet, missing him when she tried to bite his hoof. "How cliche'd of you, 'highness'. Look around you." He said, as the entire room began to fill with black crystal. His corruption had now breached the interior of the castle, as well. "The Empire is mine once again." He then gave a taunting look to the prince. "Pending any annoying, yellow pests in my way." Shining glared daggers at the black-furred unicorn, also wishing to harm him for murdering a pony under his command. But logic won out, and he held back. Half an hour later, and Sombra converted the entire throne-room into a jagged, dark version of the throne room. This time, however, he had two long spiked shafts of dark crystal aimed in triangular formation above the throne. THe purpose became clear when the Crystal Heart had been inserted inbetween the oversized spears. Black cracks slowly beginning to form over the object like a virus. "Now, I may finish what I began all those centuries ago. With the power of The Crystal Heart converted from the essence of Light, to the thralls of Darkness, this entire world will succumb to its true master. And no force in all the world will be able to stop me when hatred, and fear controls all." Just moments later, Cadence, Shining Armor, and Sunburst were brought before Sombra, who still held Flurry Heart next to him and his scythe, bound in iron chains, and completely muzzled. "Now, usurpers: KNEEL before your master, Sombra!" Two Shadow Guards threatened them with compliance when they had their spears aimed at them. Realizing how hopeless their situation was right now, they had no choice but to obey. Their heads lowered to the ground to display their submission. The Shadow King leaned further into his throne with a content, hissing sigh, as his eyes glowed with dark powers, and his grin spread wide in triumph. Victory was finally his.

"Long Live The King."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dusk continued his pacing while waiting for his friends. The urgent message from Cadence came only 10 minutes ago, but the severity of it hastened his worry. Now, he was waiting for the rest of his friends to arrive after receiving the letters he sent them. Thankfully, they arrived in the throne room while almost knocking the doors down as they came rushing in. "I'm glad you all made it." He said with a relieved sigh. But before he could actually say anything else, Discord popped up in between the group, and with little concern, said, "Yeah, i'm sure. But if you're going to be the future ruler of equestria, you may want to work on your penmanship." He then summoned a piece of parchment, and yellow-tinted glasses as missized as his eyes were mismatched. "This looks like it says: Cadence sent an emergency message. Sombra's back, and he's taking over the crystal empire."

"That's exactly what it said!" Dusk remarked in annoyance while flying in Discord's face.

"But-but.....but how is that possible?" Rarity asked worriedly as she and the others got back on their hooves. "I thought the Crystal Heart had destroyed him, and sent his essence back into the Aether!"

"I don't know," Dusk remarked darkly, "but i wouldn't put it past him to have come up with a way. He was a brilliant strategist, and planner who prepared for almost everything." But then a thought occurred to him. "But if he really DID have a contingency for coming back to life, why did it take so long for him to come back? And why now of all times?"

"Maybe he didn't check the warranty on his spell." Pinkie suggested, making Dusk and the others give her an incredulous look. But they quickly put it aside as Dusk said, "Either way, it's up to us to figure out a way to stop him."

"Should we ask the princesses about this?" Fluttershy asked Starlight. Her answer came out of DIscord's mobile face that slid down to her level on his stomach. "Oh! Good idea! Call in the real rulers of Equestria to handle things!" He then flashed out of existence, and back into existence behind the group, with a look of epiphany on his face. "Oooooh! Unless you've FINALLY looked deep down, and found that fire of confidence burning within you," His left claw produced a blue flame, with Dusk in a jagged, stone throne looking rather.....tyrannical, "And assume the throne as the powerful, and independent ruler that the Princesses know you can be?" He shook away the projection, then gave a knowing look to Dusk. "This could also be your opportunity to make up for your mistake with the School, and prove you can move past traumatic events to get the job done."

Dusk absorbed his words for a short while. On the one hoof, Discord was right though annoying: Dusk NEEDED to step up, and prove himself ready, and worthy of assuming the throne of Equestria. But on the other: he still had the tiniest bit of doubt in his heart on how capable he is - especially considering the enemy they were dealing with. When considering this, it got the alicorn fearful for his family, and the friends he had up there. "There's no time, either way. Discord's right: as future ruler, I need to prove I can handle things without the princesses help." He said firmly. "But considering how serious this is, maybe there's a chance YOU might be willing to take care of this for us?" He, and the others who now thought of this too, gave hopeful looks to the surprised draconequus. "Oh, nononononono no! No thank you!" He said in a rush, pushing Dusk away in the air by his nose, before treating him like a grad student - college grant and all. "You're absolutely right: you need to learn to handle these kind of things on your own! Send me a post when you save the empire, and i'll see ya later! By-ee!" He then grabbed the very air, and draped it over him like a curtain.

"Well, there goes our big gun." Rainbow Dash remarked with an irritated groan. She then got serious, and asked, "So what else should we do, Dusk?" The alicorn himself reconsidered this, and even turned to look at the map to think of something. The castle of the two sisters caught his eye, and an idea came to mind. One he wasn't fully proud of, but knew there was little choice. "The elements of harmony - with those, we can defeat Sombra before things get worse than they already are." Suddenly, Discord reappeared the same way he disappeared. Only now, he was in the bath, with the background covering half of him up. "Uh, no nonono no. You didn't need the elements to defeat Sombra before, and I highly doubt using them counts as "handling things on your own". Besides, if you really want to play as Celestia, you can just call on those Neo Element bearers to deal with this. They did a terrific job handling Tirek, and that psycho-filly. I'm sure they'd be more than willing to-"

"Don't even joke about that, Discord!" Dusk growled aloud, surprising the Chaos Spirit. "What happened at the school was one thing, but I am NOT risking my students lives against an enemy like King Sombra, even if they supposedly are the new guardians of harmony." His brow furrowed deeper. "And it's my family, Discord. I refuse to take any chances, and endanger them any further just so YOU can get a kick out of things." At that, Discord actually seemed a little offended. But more in the way of his feelings getting hurt. "Alright, I understand." He said in a reserved tone. "You do whatever you think is right. I'll just......be out of your hair, for now." He then pulled the background back over him, and disappeared for good.

"That was a little bit harsh, Dusk, don't you think?" Starlight asked her friend, also surprised by his attitude.

"I-......" he took a deep sigh. "I don't know. I'm just very worried for my family, and he wasn't making things any easier on my emotional state."

"I'm sure he didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, Dusk." Fluttershy assured him. "He just has his own methods of encouragement."

"Well, maybe being less of an inconsiderate jerk could be one of them." Rainbow grumbled.

"No more wasting time, please!" Dusk said frantically. "Let's just get to the tree, and hope we get to the empire in time." But he also thought to himself, And if this entity the kids called 'Laurana' will allow this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few teleports later, and the group found themselves in front of the Tree of Harmony. The clear, crystal structure holding the six jewels resembling their cutie marks shimmered like a star in the darkened cave. As he was the one who knew the spell, Dusk himself stepped forth to call down the Elements of Harmony. Just before he could, however, the tree shined its light in front of the group, and they were met with the physical, shimmering manifestation of the spirit that lies within.

"You're.......Laurana, aren't you?" Dusk asked in awe.

"And it is an honor to finally be able to communicate with you, Dusk Shine." She said in an echoing version of her own voice, as a gracious smile formed on her muzzle. Dusk was going to ask how she knew him, but then figured that, given she IS the Tree of Harmony itself, it only made sense she was as connected to the bearers as they were to her. So instead, he said respectfully, "The pleasure is all mine." Even bowing his head in respect. "But......do you know why we're here?"

"Of course. I knew before you even set foot into this cavern." She said calmly. "And as your plight if a great, and terrible one that is a danger to the land, I will allow you to use the Elements of Harmony to defeat the Umbrum tyrant who now dominates the Crystal Empire." Her tone then turned serious. "But this must be the final time. Though my essence has been restored, my vessel requires the Elements to give me the strength to keep our world in balance. It is the very connection made through the bonds of friendship that strengthens me, and thus ensures the balance of this world is held. Surely you understand that now, more than ever."

Dusk understood she was referring to the Young Six, wielders of the Neo Elements, even though it still was difficult to accept. He nevertheless sighed, and respectfully said, "Of course, your grace. The elements will be brought back here where they belong once Sombra's dealt with. You have my word as an element bearer.......former, or otherwise." Laurana picked up on his uncertainty, and placed a hoof on his shoulder. "I understand your plight, and know you had no wish for ones so young to assume such responsibility. But you must learn to have faith in your students......as much as you require faith in yourself." She winked to the surprised alicorn. "Go forth, heroes, and may Harmony protect you."

She fully receded back into the tree, and returned it to its neutral, glowing state. The ponies felt honored to be graced by the presence of the spirit of the very thing responsible for their bond, and friendship in the first place. Seeing Laurana in pony, though, made them understand how much they truly owed her. But Dusk remembered the task at hand, and cast the spell to draw forth the elements of harmony. Each one joining with its proper wielder, with Dusk's tiara forming last. With a proud, confident smile, Dusk turned to his friends, and said, "Now let's go save the Crystal Empire one more time!", before teleporting them to their destination.

Unbeknownst to them, a horned figure had been watching from high above, with the very shadows coming to life behind him.

"So this is where Starswirl and his accursed pillars planted that seed all those centuries ago." Erebus sneered in anger at the sight of the shimmering monument of Harmony, and Light just a mile away from where they stood. One thing seemed to bother him, however. "Though I cannot comprehend why we are not attempting to go, and simply shatter the tree where it stands. Surely it would be a matter of ease between the two of us."

"Don't be reckless." Tirek said to the living shadow, reaching backwards to grab a large bow he had carried with him. "Unless you believe you can match the power of the Elder Goddess of Light, herself, now that she is able to manifest herself, and undoubtedly protect the Tree at will from within. Even in her present form, the power of a Bahamut is a force not to trifle with."

"Then what was the point of us coming here, then?" Erebus asked, not quite understanding the whole purpose of this venture.

Tirek then gave off a ferocious, and menacing grin that gave away that he already had something in mind. "I have seen many things, Erebus. Rejoining Sombra's old horn to the crystal he referred to as Rabia showed me the one thing that holds greater power than even friendship, and harmony: Truth." HIs hand opened, and a wave of dark viscus began to swirl, and form in his hand. "The Emperor of Darkness indeed lives........but not in the form that brought us, and those other fools together. He has shown me the truth of what destiny has in store for us all." Looking out to the Castle, he cast another spell that teleported an object from there to him, with a great deal of focus on its location to make the teleport. Said object was a raindrop vial holding the fang of what was labeled as "Basilisk Venom", along with a sliver of Cold Iron, from his own cage in Tartarus, a shard of THe Dark Throne that was once Chrysalis' throne, given by Cozy Glow upon his request, and finally a vial of Manticore, Chimera, and Tatzulworm venom he procured during his time between now, and attacking the school. After inserting the Cold Iron, and the Stone Shard into the swirling orb, he then poured all four substances into the essence, and allowed it to mix together. With a beautiful, but deadly colorful result of morphing, and shifting. "Harmony has reigned in Equestria for longer than it was meant to. Once again, the true balance of Creation is tipped in only one direction. As host to the great Emperor, it is my destiny to see Darkness returned to the world in what is to be called "The Great Cleansing."

"You make it sound as if we're working to destroy the world."

"Nothing so crude - only drive the lifeforms of this world, minus our Legion of Doom, to the brink of extinction, and rule over it anew in the shadow of The All-Father's wings." Tirek turned to Erebus, and said, "Think of it, as it was initially your mission as well: a world cured of the all-encompassing infection of light, and the Era of Darkness brought forth for us to rule." He then returned his gaze to the object of Darkness, that was elongating as it took shape. "Only The Tree of Harmony, and my true masters mortal enemy who lives within stands in the way of this grand design - and his inevitable return." His magic ignited in between his horns, and he poured his own parasitic abilities into the object so that it may enhance the abilities of what he was forging. "Because he wanted to create a world of pure darkness, as she had made the Third Generation of Equestria a world of pure light, she banished him to The Realm of Darkness, and stripped him of the very bell which gave him his unlimited power." He sneered. "Such hypocrisy I hate more than anything." Finally, the long shaft began to take shape, to Tirek's demonic delight. "But now, it is high time she pays in full for her hubris, and return this world to its rightful owners."

In a flash of gold, red, and black, the artifact created by Tirek had finally been completed: a jagged, black arrow that was hard as stone, and iron, but radiated with parasitic, deadly, venomous essence that was above, and beyond any poisonous object in all the world. Just holding it in his aura was almost impossible due to its nature, so he relented to holding it in his hand. It stung as the venomous darkness burned into his hand. But that was only because he was made of flesh, and magic. It was his now more prominent connection to the Darkness that allowed him protection from its more destructive power. In fact, Tirek hissed with masochistic delight from the sensation. Because here, and now, he knew he had created the ultimate weapon thanks to his new master's teachings in the spiritual realm the two had fully met in just hours ago. "The benefits of being close to one's enemy is having.........intimate knowledge on how one can harm them, as the Emperor has further taught me." He then placed the arrow against his bow, and prepared to draw it fully backwards. "And yet, for the both of us, this shot will be just as sweet as pie." Erebus was impressed by the amount of strength Tirek demonstrated by pulling back the arrow and bowstring, because he could see how tightly wound it was. Even a fully grown minotaur couldn't pull back that string if his own life depended on it. Now, this was something Tirek made especially for himself for his own reasons. He remembered all the lessons he took when he was young, and how he excelled at all of them.

His sight was keen.

His arm was straight.

His focus was clear.

And his aim was true when he finally unleashed the arrow that shot through the air at lightning speed - straight into the trunk of the Tree, itself, with enough force to lodge itself halfway in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Deep within the tree, Laurana herself gasped in agony from the blow she felt - and then her world turned to never-ending anguish as venomous darkness spread throughout her form like an evil poison.

Just outside of the Crystal Empire, where Dusk and his friends appeared after multiple teleports, the group felt a strange, but painful stinging sensation in their hearts none of them could explain.

In each of their homes, the student six felt the same, painful stinging feeling in their hearts, as the jewels on their chests shimmered for a moment, and gave them the feeling something was terribly wrong.

All across Equestria, The Pillars of Equestria were also subjected to this horrible stinging feeling in their hearts, and felt a connection they shared beginning to slowly rot.

In Canterlot, while the two sat alone in the throne room, Celestia and Luna also felt this horrible sensation, and already figured something was wrong - causing them instinctually to leave Canterlot to find their old mentor, and find out what was wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even from a distance, Tirek could see as the Black arrow seemed to sink into the crystal itself. His laughter now echoing as he leaped down to reveal himself to the tree, along with Erebus. "Don't fight the Darkness, Laurana." He said boastfully. "Even with your spirit and essence restored, even you cannot hold against such vile forces now running through your vessel." With his hands on his hips, he looked to Erebus and said, "Can you feel it in the earth, my friend. With the essence of Cold Iron, Succubus Stone, Parasite Magic, and the toxic essence of the most venomous beasts in all the land, she cannot stop the flow of Darkness from spreading. Even now, it flows through her roots like serpents. All of them stretching across the land to where they are required to be."

"I hardly imagined the Tree's reach could be that long." Erebus said in curiosity.

"Thousands of years is more than enough time for a tree with the soul of an Elder God to stretch itself across the land. She may have bound herself to the tree to maintain the balance of our world, and keep the forces of the Everfree contained," he chuckled, "but that was not all she has been guarding, and keeping under lock and key."

Erebus looked at Tirek in confusion. "I'm not sure I understand."

With a final chuckle, he twisted a full 180 degree angle in the opposite direction of the Tree, and opened a portal back to the Frozen North. "In time you will, Erebus. In time, you will." Though he wasn't quite satisfied with the answer, Erebus followed behind through the large portal. Passing by the centaur as he cast a final glance upon the vessel of his master's nemesis. "Enjoy what few hours of life remain for you, even in your time of suffering. For once Sombra fulfills his role, your burden shall be relieved. And when it does, all you have done to conceal destiny shall come undone. The pieces are all coming together," he grinned, "and soon enough, the seven of shadow, and flame will herald in his return. That...
......I promise you." And as the portal dissipated, the Elder Goddess within the crystal tree, who struggled to defend herself against the infectious plague now running throughout her body, could only shudder in fear of what she knew was coming.

She only prayed her champions would be ready to face the evil that awaits them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upon his throne, Sombra had been busily engorging himself in a nice, roast chicken dinner as celebration of his victory. Like a ravenous wolf, he rent flesh from leg bone with mannerless glee as bits of meat fell from his mouth. Despite his pony biology, he was still Umbrum: and Umbrum were as much omnivorous in physical form as they were predatory. All the while, he held infant Flurry Heart at his side at blade-point to keep the only three ponies not under his control deterred from making any moves against him. Yet he didn't stop Cadence from firing a beam at the crystal cage he trapped the three of them in to try, and escape. The attempt only made him laugh in amusement. "It's cute that you think that will do anything."

"And it's disgusting how you take delight in hurting......and killing others." She spat back.

Again, he merely chuckled as he said, "Oh, no, my dear. If you actually think that, then you are honestly more naive than I imagined. I don't simply take pleasure in harming, or killing - it is in the act of such things I take delight in." His grin widened. "The cold sweat that runs down their brow. The abject terror in their eyes as their world flashes in front of them. The fear of not knowing what tormentous fate awaits them." He then turned over to Flurry Heart. "That is why I prefer to either use a bladed weapon, or my spell of crystallization. Simply obliterating them with a magic spell is too quick, and clean. You can never savor all of the.......little emotions." He turned back to the 3 adults in his cage as he took another bite of his food, and said, "In their final moments, a person will show you their true colors. And you can see precisely what they truly are. So, in a sense, every pony i've ever slain? I knew them better than even their own friends, and leaders did." His eyes narrowed with sociopathic delight. "Would you like to know which of them were cowards?"

"You-........despicable!" Sunburst exclaimed in anger, which made Sombra chuckle, "Yes!".

"Sunburst is right: you're nothing but a black-hearted monster!" Shining Armor shouted. "And i'm gonna make sure you pay for all the lives you've ruined, and the life you took this day!"

"Brave words, prince consort, but all a waste of air." Sombra said unamused. "So long as you remain where you are, you can do nothing to harm me."

Cadence suddenly noticed something that made her smirk with knowing satisfaction. "Maybe we can't: but THEY sure as hay can!" she shouted, pointing to the entrance, to reveal Dusk Shine, and his friends tagging behind. "Cavalry's here!" Pinkie exclaimed, and the group made a battle yell as they charged the Shadow King......who only laughed at the display. "Exactly as expected. How could i possibly be surprised to see the six of you when your arrival was.....inevitable. After all, you ARE the heroes of Equestria." He then grinned. "Yet even heroes succumb to their greatest fears!" And cast the same spell he cast on the crystal ponies: projecting the light and smoke of his eyes at the group, and ensnaring them in a mind spell that raised them high above, and trapped them in their own minds.

Dusk's world turned to Darkness as he stood alone in an endless void. He looked around, wondering where he was, and crying out for anypony to hear him. Then he was met with a horrific sight: all of his friends, and family with purple, smoking eyes of pure, toxic green light that symbolized Sombra's hold on them. To make things worse, Darkhelms lowered over their heads, further cementing how far under the Shadow King's control they had fallen. "Guys!" Dusk shouted, running up to Cadence, and Shining. "Guys, it's me! You have to wake up!" But the nightmare grew worse as soon as he touched his older brother's chest. The moment he laid a hoof on him, the whole group turned into completely solid, dark crystal before cracking, and shattering to pieces. His ears fell back as his eyes widened in horror with a gasp upon seeing those he cared for most die in front of him. To make matters worse, the eyes of dark magic appeared in front of him, dwarfing him in size. But then, it divided into two pairs of eyes, to the alicorn's confusion.

The moment the eyes formed into Princess Celestia, AND Luna, his horror returned - especially when they began to speak.

"Oh, Dusk Shine: how disappointing you've been to us all!" Celestia said with disappointment of the highest degree.

"Equestria was under your protection, and YOU let it fall!" Luna angrily accused.

"N-no!" Dusk said weakly. "No, I didn't....It wasn't my.....!" But the words died in his mouth as he watched the princesses flash into their evil counterparts: one, he knew all too well as the dreaded Nightmare Moon, and the other he only ever heard of from Starlight after the fiasco of switching the Princesses cutie marks, and facing Celestia's corrupt-self in the dreamscape which was named Daybreaker. He felt his fear grow at the sight of the alicorns he held so close to his heart given in to the dark side. Suddenly, the two of them burst into flame, and curled into an all-too familiar pair of bull horns that soon revealed the head of an all-too familiar centaur, hovering over what was now a fiery realm of horror that made Dusk filled with terror. "Of course it wasn't!" Tirek's head mocked the alicorn. "After all, The Prince of Friendship can never make mistakes - until you do make mistakes!" He grinned wickedly. "Why else would your precious school fall so easily, and The Tree of Harmony itself decide to finally replace you? You, Dusk Shine, are weak, and meaningless! A tiny, single light swimming in an ocean of Darkness. Alone.......and undesired."

Dusk was so taken by his darkest feelings, and his insecurities that he was beginning to give in to the demon's words. How could he not when he spoke true? All which had recently happened only further proved he was unworthy of his status as both the first Alicorn Prince, Bearer of the Element of Magic.......and as The Ruler of Equestria, itself. He was unworthy of it all. And it would be better if he did disappear.

But he would NOT disappear on this day, as the nightmare was suddenly engulfed by pure light. The devilish head roaring in anguish as it vanished, and returned Dusk to the void of dark. Now he was alone again.....but now, with a very welcome company in the form of Laurana. But something was odd about her: her form seemed to be flickering, and she herself was shaking as she stood. A look of desperation on her face as she panted heavily. "Laurana!" Dusk shouted in surprise, and finally got an understanding of his surroundings, and remembered how he got here. "You saved me from Sombra's spell?" he asked the transparent Goddess.

There is no time, Dusk Shine!" She weakly said. Darkness grows, and.....and I am losing my strength."

Dusk didn't understand. "Did something happen? Maybe I can help somehow!"

"N-no. I am fighting my own battle." She said with resolve. "But you still have your own to win. Use my power, and awaken from this nightmare, Dusk Shine! You, and your friends must triumph!" Her wings spread wide open, and out of them light emerged. As Dusk's vision began to brighten, the final words he heard her say were, "And should this be the last we see each other, remember this: as long as Harmony, and Light live within you, I will always be with you. The magic of Friendship will protect you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

King Sombra laughed again in triumph as he approached then enthralled group, and saw the despairing expressions of his prisoners. "Victory is mine! Even those who wield the power of Harmony submit to the Darkness! None can stand against their own fears!" But the timing of such a proclamation came at the wrong time as the element of magic illuminated, and linked The Rainbow of Light with the other Elements. One by one, the six ponies awakened from his cursed spell, with eyes illuminated by the light of their elements. Dusk gave a smug smile at the surprised Sombra, saying, "Bad news for you, Sombra, because we didn't have to face and defeat our fears!" He then looked over to where Flurry was still hovering, to see Spike chop it in half, and grab hold of the bladed end. "We just needed to face them long enough to keep you distracted!" At first, Sombra had no idea was Dusk meant. But then he heard the sound of fire being released, and spun around to see Spike weakening his crystal cage with his fire. Rage filled Sombra's expression as he roared, "YOU!". Realizing he had been discovered, Spike yelped, and then used his wings to build up momentum in a high jump - high enough that when he hit the crystal wall with the blade of Sombra's scythe, it cracked, and broke apart, giving Cadence just what she needed to break through, and race right for the Crystal Heart.

"NO!" Sombra roared as he grabbed the heart midway through the outside window, desperately trying to stop Cadence. But a blast from behind held cut him off. He realized his mistake when Flurry was actually blasting back his guards with what looked like angry satisfaction. Shining, however, walked out of the cage with a snarky parrot of King Sombra's previous words. "It's cute that you think that'll do anything." On the outside, Cadence successfully returned the Heart to its original station, and purged it of what little dark essence infected it. The light it unleashed as it returned to its original state broke the civilian ponies not decked in armor free of the shadow king's control. Seeing the crystal heart restored their happiness, and they instantly knew to channel their hope, and love into the heart. Just like before, the Heart absorbed it, and shined like a glimmering star.

And just like that, the dark infection Sombra had claimed the empire with was wiped out in a wave of blinding light, restoring it, and all remaining ponies to their real form.

The crystal ponies were stunned from the experience, but had gotten their bearings soon after. All that left was the proverbial elephant in the room that was King Sombra, who was thankful for the protection Grogar claimed he had worked, and he survived that burst of Light. Now, he was outmatched, and outnumbered against numerous ponies, and Spike. Yet even as the Main Six aimed their magic at him, he refused to give into fear. "This is far from over! You fools may have won this battle - but in the end, it I who shall win the war!" Tired of his pompous boasting, Dusk and his friends unleashed the Rainbow of Light, and seemingly vaporized Sombra where he stood......which struck all as odd, given he didn't even make a scream of pain.

But they took the victory, and began crying out in triumph. "We totally just wiped the floor with that creep!" Rainbow said while spinning around through the air. Rarity, and Applejack gave eachother a hoof bump just as Cadence came in, looking ready for a fight. But to her surprise, all was well, and both Flurry Heart and Spike were hugging Dusk, who was hugging them back. "Thanks, little bro." Shining said gratuitously, as he and Cadence joined in on the family embrace. Another thing for Dusk to be thankful for, aside from the obvious fact his family was safe. Something he'd need to thank Laurana for........if she was alright.

"That was super-duper easy!" Pinkie bounced excitedly.

"Gotta admit, that was alot smoother than ah thought it might be." Applejack said.

"It certainly felt like a Cake Walk." Rarity admitted, which got Pinkie's attention. "Did somepony say 'cake walk'?" She then proceeded to do just that, making everyone laugh at her antics. Dusk sighed and said, "I guess in the end, we did really well handling this on our own."

"Does this mean?" Spike asked hopefully.

"I'm not sure if i'm fully ready to replace Celestia, and Luna." Dusk admitted both to himself, and everypony else. "But I do know that with all of you by my side, i feel ready to face just about anything." he said happily, before he noticed Shining suddenly seemed sad about something. "BBBFF? Are you okay? Sombra didn't hurt you, did he?"

"No, Dusky, i'm alright.....physically." Shining said solemnly. "It's just........just........." He sighed heavily. "We lost Flash Sentry when Sombra invaded."

An audible gasp escaped Dusk's lips. "W-......what?"

"He fell defending the castle from Sombra." Sunburst said next. "Fought him with everything he had. I'm just sorry to say it wasn't enough. At least he bought enough time for us to send out a message to you, and your friends."

Seeing the shocked expression on his face, as he tried desperately to acknowledge that the pony counterpart of the person he knew.......and cared a great deal for, was gone, Cadence went up to him with a sympathetic look, and held a hoof to his shoulder as he looked to her. "I know it may be hard to believe, and....it may be conflicting given your history with the human Flash. But remember: Flash Sentry was a soldier of the royal guard. He knew the risks that came with this profession, and he was still willing to give his life to defend others. Take solace in the knowledge that his sacrifice saved all of Equestria in the end."

"We will honor his sacrifice, little brother." Shining said. "As the pony I trained personally, and after proving to be the best of the guard with his defense, he deserves as much." Flurry even gave Dusk another hug to his head, nuzzling his cheek in the process. He felt horrible for having lost somepony like Flash. But he also knew his Brother, and Sister were right. "You're right. And thanks to him, Sombra is gone for good. Equestria's safer for it, and........as i said, i'm not 100% sure i'm ready to lead Equestria. But will I ever?" he asked half-jokingly.

"Knowin' you? Nope." AJ quipped, while cupping his chin for a moment.

"I'm not worried, though: I have you guys, and we have the elements. And together, we've never failed. We'll be okay." He then got into a group hug with all of his friends. A bright smile crossing his muzzle as he looked at them all. Part of him felt bad, because he might have overstepped by suggesting they would still be using the elements. But maybe after they were returned, Laurana might consider allowing them to use the jewels again in another crisis - at least until the Student Six were ready for such a dangerous line of work.

But despite his fears for their safety, and of his own inabilities, he kept hope alive with his friends.

Nothing would ever change that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A train ride later, and the gang had returned to Ponyville. Spike was given leave to go home, and share their experience with Starlight while Dusk, and his friends returned to the Castle of the Two Sisters. Now, after their lengthy trek through the forest, the elements were re-inserted to the Tree. "And like that: Equestria is safe again!" Dusk happily proclaimed.

"What should we do to celebrate?" Fluttershy asked as she, and the others began walking out of the cave.

"I vote for a cake walk!" Pinkie exclaimed while bouncing.

Dusk was about to join them when he noticed something on the tree. It was almost barely missable, but he could swear there was some kind of black hole in the tree trunk. The kind of hole one would see from a sting, or even a bite mark. 'When did this get here?' he thought to himself, before he heard a haunting, and familiar whisper. "H-hhh-he-elp....me........" Dusk gasped, "Laurana?!" and finally noticed how the light of the tree seemed to dim a little, and its form turned mildly dull. Something was terribly wrong, and he already knew it. But now, he was getting the feeling it was worse than he thought.

Things really DID get worse, however, when a dark crystal jutted out of the ceiling, and produced a black cloud of shadow, much to Dusk's horror. The feeling increased when a familiar, curved horn, and smoking, green eyes appeared in the cloud. Glaring hatefully at the ponies as the cave began to shake, and quake. Dusk backed away as the sensation increased, and the others finally took notice. "What's going on?" Applejack asked. They got their answer when they turned to see the black cloud, just as Dusk backed up into them. That was when an invisible barrier shield was erected in between them, and the tree. It stung Dusk's hoof when he touched it.

But that feeling paled in comparison to what began happening next.

Dark crystals began erupting from every corner of the walls surrounding the tree. Either stabbing into the tree's trunk, or even nearly breaking off the branches holding honesty, and generosity. Dusk's expression widened, and he screamed, "NO!" He then tried barraging the invisible shield, despite the growing feeling of pain he, and others began feeling with every strike against the tree. The climax, however, came when the shadow cloud sank into the ground, and made an even mightier tremor. In the blink of an eye, a dark crystal spike the size of a boulder shot towards the center of the tree with the intent of completely shattering it. Only the waning will of Laurana, whose physical body projected itself above the tree. The ponies watched with pained expressions as the Elder Goddess continuously struggled to hold back the crystal 'spear'. Tirek's wicked venom was still draining her of her strength, but she would not relent. She would fight against this until her bitter end.

That end was seemingly closer than she thought when the shadow form of a winged unicorn with the came eyes, and horn in the cloud that made this spike rose out of the crystal like it was made of mire. His predatory teeth visible to the Elder Goddess, the Shadow grinned wickedly as two arms emerged, and formed the same scythe used by Sombra. Hissing groans emerged from its throat as it took the scythe in both hands, and aimed the blade at the star-shaped center of the tree: the very heart of the Tree, itself. Dusk, and now his friends, tried to break through the shield to stop what they knew was about to happen. But when Dusk looked to Laurana, all he could see was something he didn't expect to see: silent acceptance. Which only made his attempts more fearsome as tears threatened to leave his eyes. Laurana may have somehow known this would happen, and may have now accepted it, but he couldn't. Not after all she had ultimately done for them. He had to save her, no matter the cost. But he was too late, and as Laurana lowered her head with closed eyes to accept her fate, the dark shadow that was King Sombra raised his scythe high into the air, and swung downwards.

A single strike turned the world of all involved to one of pure light.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Starswirl, the pillars, and the Princesses almost fell over as a loud thunderclap erupted over the land. The pain that a part of their essence cried out in anguish, before ceasing to exist affected them greatly. All of them felt a piece of them die right then, and there. And some of them, including the alicorns, shed tears as they understood what had happened.

The Tree of Harmony, and Laurana.........were dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sandbar, and Gallus were playing catch outside the former's yard, with the blue and yellow griffon in the air to make the game more fun. And thus far, the two of them were having a blast. Gallus especially, given he had NEVER experienced this kind of thing before. He had a feeling there were more things to do that he might enjoy, and it made him quite happy.

But then he, and Sandbar - and unknowingly, their friends Yona, Smolder, Ocellus, AND Silverstream - screamed in pain as they felt something horrible had happened. Sandbar managed to stay on his hooves, but Gallus actually fell out of the sky. Recovering at a surprising speed, Sandbar ran over to where his friend was falling, and made himself the cushion the griffon landed on. It might have knocked the wind out of him, but Gallus was alright, so he didn't care. Gallus, however, once he came to his senses, wasn't so enthusiastic. "Sandy! I-i'm sorry! I didn't hurt you, did I?"

"No, don't worry, Gal." Sandbar waved his hoof as he and Gallus both got back up. "I might be skinny, but i'm alot tougher than I look." he joked, before he asked seriously, "But that was something else. You felt it too, right?" Gallus nodded in response, before he and his pony friend noticed their jewels glowing brightly. "You don't think-?"

"I don't know," Sandbar said, "But i've got a bad feeling about this. What should we do?"

Gallus thought about the instance, and came to one conclusion. "Probably wait for our friends to show up. If this does have to do with the Tree of Harmony, then they won't just sit around doing nothing. They're definitely coming. But I have a feeling that we're on our own, for now."

"Then let's just hope we can handle whatever's going on."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When they finally woke up, Dusk and the others felt an ache in their chests that just wouldn't go away. It was as if someone had rammed a hot poker into their chest, and scorched their hearts with it. All six of them shakily rose to their hooves, some helping the other up. Once they were all standing, Dusk asked if everypony was alright. When they all either grunted, or nodded in confirmation, he sighed with relief. But relief turned to fear as he turned to look at what USED to be the cave they were just in: now, it was a hole equivalent to a massive crater, with pieces of rock, and other bits of debris still falling. What's more, was how the sky suddenly began to rumble with clouds beginning to cover the sky. Thunder echoing across the land, lightning beginning to flash, and a cold, bitter wind began blowing through the air. Fearing the worst, the ponies all ran to the former cave, hoping to find out what had happened.

The sight they were met with would haunt them for the rest of their lives: the Tree of Harmony had been completely shattered. The elements of harmony lay at their feet in pieces. And to their horror, they saw the form of Laurana in an aura of light. He body slowly fading away as she gave them a final look that told them she had faith in them. And in less than a minute, Laurana, The Elder Goddess of Light, was gone. Right at that moment, King Sombra fully reformed in his unicorn body: only now, he also had large, terrifying bat wings on each side of his body, protruding through his cape.

A triumphant grin crossing his face as he looked at the horrified faces of his enemies. Wicked, loud laughter erupted from deep within his chest. The king that echoed with true triumph and victory over an adversary. To emphasize his triumph, he held up a broken branch of the tree, and raised it into the air like a trophy.

And somewhere, in a now unknown part of Equestria, watching through the red crystal, Lord Tirek shared in the laughter of triumph. Yet his was far more haunting. More malevolent than even Sombra himself could muster. And this was for even greater reason. Because this was the day it happened.

This was the day Harmony dies, and Darkness would rise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To be continued

Author's Note:

Apologies for not making a description in the last chapter.

I just wanted folks to enjoy the chapter without my prattling and overexplaining things. Or I guess, making too much exposition. But I didn't want to leave you with nothing this time, so I at least have a few things to say.

- Dusk officially gets to meet Laurana, the Elder Goddess who inhabits The Tree of Harmony, who is her physical vessel.
- We also see more of the threat, and power of Sombra in this chapter, and a demonstration of what i personally think he's capable of at the height of his power.
- And yes, I "killed" Flash Sentry, after allowing him to have an epic time to shine by facing against Sombra or as long as possible.
- Also, i made sure Tirek's presence was higher because he IS the central villain of this series. And also, the crucible for which the True Grogar will rise again. I just haven't explained how that's going to happen.
- And finally, the death of The Tree, and in turn Laurana herself, will have a serious impact on Equestria.........and also, will give way to an important subplot that involves the Black Arrow, and its infection of the roots. If you guys are careful, you'll catch the reference of what to expect during Tirek's last speech to the tree.

Alright, i think i'm good now. If anyone has any questions, please let me know. I'll be happy to answer them for you.:)