• Published 31st Oct 2019
  • 832 Views, 8 Comments

Pony Horror Anthology Vol. II - LoreLove



The collection grows as do the fears and dread of ponies caught within.

  • ...
1
 8
 832

The Abysm

The frightful and fun night of Nightmare Night had drawn near. Limestone had been more interested in maintaining the farm than bothering with the games and candy. Pinkie had even arranged for a party at Twilight’s castle. Maud had gone to help out but probably mostly to keep an eye on their sister.

It wasn’t a holiday Limestone often thought much of, though it had its interesting points. With two of her siblings off in Ponyville, the farm itself needed to be taken care of more than ever. Even if it wasn’t too high of maintenance it was still something she wanted to tend to. Even Marble had stayed behind though for different reasons.

While it was a night to experience scares and share laughs over them, the rather quiet sibling had preferred to just stay at home. Maybe it was the festivities that might get to her or perhaps she just wasn’t in the mood. Limestone didn’t feel like asking and prying if she didn’t want to say.

“Hm,” Igneous mumbled as a hoof rubbed at his chin. “I’m not sure leaving you two here alone is the best of ideas.”

“Dad,” Limestone said flatly, “I can watch over the farm fine. I’ll prove it.”

“Mhm, and your sister? She certainly doesn’t feel up for going. You have to think of family too,” her father said as he took a glance to his shy daughter.

“I’ll take care of her too,” the green eyed mare stated with a huff.

It had been an hour that Limestone had been trying to persuade her parents to take a trip into Ponyville and visit Pinkie. The only reason Igneous had even considered is because she brought up how much it would mean to have her parents support her in something she loves, despite the invitations. A little sneaky but she wanted to show how well she could watch over the farm and how suited she was to take the responsibility of it.

Considering her sister had wanted to stay behind anyway, it could also prove she was capable of watching out for her family. A little bonus. Marble never caused trouble and often kept to herself. It would be a simple matter to deal with along with working on the farm.

“Well,” Igneous relented in a sigh, “I guess we ought to go if we’re going to make it there before night.”

Cloudy Quartz gave a roll of her eyes but said nothing. She knew when her husband had given in and it was best to just enjoy the ride. The two of them gave each other a look before getting ready and opening the front door.

“You two take care and we should be back by morning,” their father stated before turning his head to his wife.

“It’s Pinkie Pie, dear,” Cloudy mentioned and watched his reaction.

“Oh,” he said softly. “We’ll be back by noon then. Hopefully.”

As much as Limestone wanted to witness their parents on Nightmare Night in Ponyville, she was more than happy to have the farm to herself. The two daughters waved as their parents stepped out and closed the door. They’d be taking a long walk before getting a carriage, if she knew them.

A couple of minutes passed before the two sisters looked to each other. They knew they had the place to themselves but it was almost a shock. It felt like they never had the house or even the farm to enjoy in peace.

“That was easier than I thought,” Limestone commented and smiled at the quiet laughter from her sister.

Things still had to be taken care of but a small breather to just enjoy the space never hurt. They walked around and talked of planning their own little party. A quiet one, which they both agreed with. Marble had taken to making Rock-o-lanterns as Limestone surveyed things to be done. She didn’t mind doing the heavy work so long as they were both happy about the decisions.

“Since mom and dad are out, we got to make sure the farm stays in top shape,” she told Marble who gave a soft spoken agreement. “That means I need to clear the western field and check the quarry for tonight. Will you be okay with making lanterns?”

“Mhm,” Marble mumbled while looking rather happy.

“Good. No messing around,” Limestone said, unable to keep the serious tone out of her voice but they both cracked a smile.

It was good to have sisters that knew her and understood how she acted. She was tough and acted it but there was a hint of sweetness deep down. They were all siblings and she loved them dearly. It was just tough for her to show it most of the time.

The two eventually went off to start on their own tasks for the evening. Marble would help with dinner so long as Limestone got a fire going in the fireplace when the time came. Nights were getting far more chilly than usual. Winter was coming around the corner and they could feel it.

As Limestone walked out in the field, she could help but think of how lucky they were to have their parents out for the night. That hour of persuasion paid off and she was as happy as could be, though she wouldn’t show it. Instead, she would show just how good of an idea it was to let her take care of the farm, essentially solo.

Her hooves trotted along as she looked over the vast majority of rocks and stones before her. It appeared far more daunting knowing she had to do it herself. Still, her spirits were high and she wasn’t about to let her parents down.

The mare began rolling certain boulders around and placing rocks along another area. Stones were smashed to make the ways easier as well as start work on gravel. She’d have to head to the quarry for more large rocks to place in other spots soon as well. Some stones to sell off in packs of cobblestone would also help out.

She nodded to herself as she worked and admired her way of thinking out small plans to help the farm. Her father would be so proud, she just knew it. A small roll of one rock had her spot another the perfect size for her sister to use. A quick heft onto her back and she marched her way back to the house.

“Hey, Marble! Look here!” she shouted, pulling the rock down and letting it slam onto the ground outside the front door.

After a minute, the door opened and Marble’s head peeked out before she nodded. The door closed before opening once more a few moments later with Marble holding her smaller pick-axe in her maw. She looked excited from what Limestone could tell.

“That a good one?” asked the green eyed mare, wondering if she picked well.

“Mhm,” Marble simply stated as she tugged the rock close and looked up. “Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it,” Limestone said and turned once she started hearing the light tapping of the metal against stone.

The little Rock-o-lanterns that Marble planned on would be a nice way for them to celebrate in their own way. Nothing too crazy and something easy to enjoy. That was if the quarry and field could be done before it got too dark.

Limestone looked up at the sky as she passed the fence and wandered into the field once more. The sun had started to lower but she had a nice bit of daylight still ahead. If she hurried, she might be able to finish moving the rocks and at least start on the quarry. Not too bad.

The cold air had been taking over for prepare for winter. Occasional warm moments tried to come through which quickly ended in a mostly foggy day. Even though it hadn’t felt warm for a while, she could tell it was trying to heat up a bit. In the distance came a fog, creeping and rolling in silently.

Most of the mare’s time spent on the field revolved around making sure enough rocks had been transferred over. The remaining ones could either stay or be broken down. Fresh ore and minerals were to be mined as well as bringing in more rock to set in the fields. Quite the tasks just by herself but she wasn’t about to rope her sister into heavy lifting.

As the time went along, Limestone worked hard and did her best. The western field had been combed through rather well and it only took her near two hours. It was a satisfying amount of work she had put in. Hooves dirty and needing a break, she made her way back to the house.

The sun had started to set a bit and the sky had shined it’s magnificent orange hues while it continued to lower. She would have to hurry for the quarry if she wanted to at least get a bit of the things done down there. Her eyes scanned the landscape to see the approaching fog much closer than before. It would be through their farm in under an hour.

Marble looked rather happy to see her sister arriving again. Limestone watched she she excitedly turned the rock around that she had been working on. A goofy face was carved into it along with the mouth hollowed out completely. She did real good work.

“Nice job!” Limestone commented as she looked over the newly fashioned lantern. “Just need a candle and some tinder.”

It seemed her sister was eager to get her project completed as much as Limestone felt her duties needed to be done. Off went Marble into the house without a word. A minute or two passed before she came back with the tinderbox and a small candle.

“Okay then, let’s see it all finished,” the hot-headed sister mentioned before placing the stick in the lantern’s mouth and attempting to light it with her hooves. “Stupid thing,” she growled, before finally getting it to glow.

The two of them sat back as the light flowed inside of the stone sculpture and showed that it was mostly hollow. Not just the mouth lit up but the eyes as well. Limestone was impressed even more.

“Wow, you did great, Marble,” she mentioned and nodded. “Good work.”

“Thanks,” Marble said bashfully and smiled.

“Fog’s coming in so I’ll have to rush the quarry job. It’ll be dark soon anyway,” Limestone said and stretched a bit.

“Okay,” her sister replied before admiring her own work and sitting next to the lantern.

There wasn’t much else to say and Marble looked to be complacent so Limestone turned and began heading down to the quarry. She knew it was going to be a winding path down and might be troubling heading up so it was in her best interest to finish things up quickly. Secretly, she was hoping her sister wouldn’t forget dinner as she was working up quite the appetite from everything.

The path started past the southern field and opened up near the bottom. A wrong step and a pony would have quite the tumble down. Limestone navigated herself along the twisting path without much effort as she looked over the rock walls and other types of deposits nestled within.

There were tunnels carved out in several areas below with only the smallest indicators as to what they might be for. One had a crude drawing of gems while another was simply decorated with a stone stack near it. At least they were identifiable.

Limestone’s venture went further in as she examined a few entrances and the walls around her. Each one could yield something they could need but she wasn’t sure what would be best at the moment. Prices on gems had lowered but the findings of crystals or an odd rare mineral itself might fetch more. They might even be useful to help make some better tools.

Her green eyes scanned around before she saw an unmarked entrance and looked it over. Not much had been dug out in the spot and the tunnel itself only went in several feet. The mare made a few estimates and looked to the top of the quarry. It would be stable enough to keep digging at least for a while.

The shadows of the valley she was in loomed over and stretched out. It was going to be dark very shortly. Having no other options she seemed to care for, Limestone moved forward and chipped at the stone wall within with her hooves. Dirt and stone flung down before she backed up and stumbled over a pick-axe.

“Would have been useful,” she grumbled, silently berating herself for forgetting the tool as well as one of the mining hats. Something else she could have used to stay there longer despite the night coming.

Instead of heading back up to ask Marble to fetch her one, the hard working mare just continued. Her teeth gripped the tool as she chipped along the wall and worked her way further into the growing tunnel as fast as she could. Hooves dug to move her debris aside and swapped to use the pick-axe itself a few times.

A few small crystal formations had been unearthed along with a pocket of metal that she knew would be useful. Her work was going to pay off well. The only thing she would have to do is carefully check how far and deep each went before trying to take them. A collapse in the tunnel would be the last thing she wanted.

Her pick swung and she landed it hard into the soft wall before her. Sadly, it seemed to stick and her strength seemed almost unable to pry it free. There was a brief moment of panic before it swapped to anger as she grabbed the shaft with both hooves and yanked harder. A hind leg pressed to the wall to lever herself enough and tug the thing free.

Limestone was sent onto her back in an instant. The tool flung out of the wall and clattered behind her as the wall crumbled down right before her eyes. It was a tense moment as she was sure she had just caused the very thing she didn’t want and trapped herself in the quarry but all was calm shortly after.

The dust settled slowly as she coughed from the sudden stirring before getting herself upright. Her sounds seemed to echo far more than just a moment ago. A pile of what was once the stubborn wall lay in rubble at her hooves. Beyond the break was just darkness.

A curious thing for sure. She knew plenty of instances of cavern walls eroding and becoming brittle or even tunnels giving in from mining too close to a chamber. The problem that presented itself to her was that she saw nothing beyond where she stood. Every speck of light seemed to end just before the empty void of the cave.

Picking up a rock from the rubble, Limestone tossed it into the blackness before her. A hoof raised to her ear as she tried to listen for where it landed only to find herself straining for any noise at all. The soft clack of rock smacking against more did arise but it sounded so very far below.

If there was a pit beyond the threshold of that void she didn’t see it. Worse yet was how deep it had sounded. She was extremely thankful she hadn’t stepped forward to explore it. There was something else about it.

It was a mysterious part of just emptiness right there under their farm. How long had it been there? Where did it lead? Limestone took a few steps back and glanced back at the entrance to her tunnel.

Daylight was nearly gone and it was getting harder for her to check any of the walls for deposits. While she wouldn’t speak it, the chamber she had unveiled made her uneasy as well. All the more reason to just back out and wait until morning. It wasn’t something she could explain but she felt that the spot she had revealed had some sort of presence about it.

Limestone backed up and out of the tunnel she had been working on before finally exiting the area. Staring into the abyss only made her more uncomfortable which she quickly brushed off and scowled. It was just a stupid pit. Nothing scary other than the fact she could have fallen into it.

She would put up a sign to warn of it and urge nopony to enter in the morning. Since it was just her and her sister, it could wait. Her hooves clopped together as she tried shaking the dirt and grime off before letting out a sigh and wiping her brow. At least she had some good news.

One last look at the tunnel made her frown before she set aside the pick-axe and began walking back. Whatever was making her so uneasy had also been working to annoy her. It was one reason she didn’t take to Nightmare Night as well as others. Scares tended to draw up anger faster than a scream.

The path up the trail out of the quarry had her nearly miss a few steps. With the sun almost down completely and the sky turning dark, it was hard to see through all the shadows. It didn’t take too long for her to finally get out and see the land bathed in moonlight.

It was honestly rather pretty to her. The only thing that took it away was the fog rolling in and reaching the house. The misty veil had already taken over the silo and tried to hide it from view but her home was next. A quick trot to the household and she saw it being swallowed the thick air.

If it hadn’t been for the lantern, Limestone may have stumble about a bit before reaching the door. They hadn’t experienced a fog that bad in a while. Her hooves smacked the latched as she walked in and let out a sigh of relief in the warmer interior.

“Oh, it feels good to be inside,” Limestone admitted and closed her eyes.

“Can you start the fire?” Marble asked and forced a smile.

“Yeah,” the working mare said and grabbed the tinderbox from the table. “You should learn to do this. You’ll need to.”

Marble seemed hesitant but walked over and sat down next to her sister. Limestone showed the contents of the box and explained their uses before demonstrating how it was all done. A few tries and she managed to light the wood already set within the fireplace.

“Thank you,” Marble whispered as she looked over the growing flames and lightly stroked them when needed.

It did heat the room nicely and more than it was. At least the pot was hanging from the hook in the fireplace already. There were a few more lights set in the house that Marble took upon herself to do. Limestone was happy to see her try and succeed in each one.

“Um, dinner will start in a bit,” the quiet mare said as she carefully began to bring out ingredients from the kitchen.

“Take your time,” Limestone insisted and sat down to rest her legs.

The crackling of the fire was a comfy ambiance as the two relaxed for the night. Smells of a soup began to waft through the air at some point as they made a little bit of small talk. Not too much was said but the topic of the pit was brought up with a very stern warning not to go anywhere near the quarry. Marble just nodded.

Soon enough, soup was served. It was possible one the best dishes Limestone felt she tasted in a while. The pot was nearly empty after they both had a couple of servings. They must have been famished.

The lights inside were warm along with the heat of the fire to let them stay rather cozy. Marble had gone to fetch a blanket and curl up near the fireplace with it. Limestone took her time to write down the various activities into a log for her father. He’d enjoy knowing the minerals in the tunnel but she’d have to put up the sign first thing when she got up. Just writing down to watch out wouldn’t be enough.

Even though the night was young, the tired nature of the ponies within the Pie family home took hold fast. Marble was almost fast asleep all bundled up with Limestone fighting to stay awake just a bit more and focus on the list she wrote. The lantern on the table shined its soothing light as they were lulled to the dreamscape with full stomachs and a wonderful setting.

Marble’s leg kicked in her sleep several times before connecting with the leg of the table. The soft atmosphere came crashing down with the lantern as it toppled over and hit the floor. Both ponies sat up with a start before realizing what had happened. The lantern’s glass had shattered and wick within snuffed out. They were lucky it was near empty as it was.

“Marble,” Limestone groaned, tired and upset her nap had to be interrupted so harshly.

“I’m sorry,” the bundled pony whimpered and looked away.

“It’s okay,” the heated mare said and took a breath. “I’ll just go and get another lantern and some oil from the silo.”

Marble stayed quiet as she watched her sister hop off the chair and begin cleaning up the mess. There was tension in air but it would fade away soon. Limestone wasn’t mad at her sister but more at the situation. It wasn’t a fun thing to be disturbed in such a flash. At least they didn’t have a fire to put out.

Once the glass was cleaned up and the lantern set aside, Limestone looked it over once more before nodding. Some spare tinder would help and she would be making a huge fuss if she went to fetch the lantern only to have to go back out for more things. May as well make it one trip.

“It’s a bit foggy but it might clear up soon. I’m going out to the silo and getting some spare tinder and a lantern,” Limestone stated as she opened the door. “I’ll be back shortly.”

With that, the earth pony headed out and closed the door behind her. It was quite the fog they had. She could hardly make out the silo from the house. The cold winds made her shiver and miss the warmth of the fire already.

The only way to get back sooner was to hurry. Limestone sighed and trudged on towards the structure ahead. It was odd how eerie it got when she couldn’t see much of the land. Though she did see something akin to prints in the dirt, just not like any pony she had seen. Her ears flicked as she thought she heard something.

Silence greeted her as she slowly continued, keeping an ear out for anything. If her sister were to call for her then she wanted to rush right back. There was a sound for sure but it wasn’t her sister. Limestone’s ear tilted more to the noise. Was it steps?

“Marble?”

•••••

The fireplace had been far to inviting to move away from. Marble stayed on the floor, tightly wrapped in a blanket and watching the flames. She felt terrible for having her sister go grab another lantern and for disturbing her sleep. It wasn’t as if she meant to do it. Deep down, she knew Limestone wasn’t really mad at her but it didn’t stop her thinking otherwise once or twice.

Her tail flicked as she let the crackle and pops of the wood burning ease her more. Things would go back to normal as they usually did. She had been scared from the crash of the lantern pretty bad but tried not letting her sister see before she left. Sometime she would have to stop being skittish.

There were still the aromas of the soup lingering in the air. Even though they had nearly cleaned the pot with their hunger, Marble’s stomach gave a light growl for more. She hadn’t expected to be so hungry but it was a night they could have the whole thing to themselves. A nice little Nightmare Night soup.

Marble smiled to herself and sat up as she shifted closer to the fireplace. Her hooves pressed out from under the blanket as she let them warm and wondered how long her sister might take. It wasn’t a long walk just to go there and back. Though, the fog may have confused her tougher sibling some.

Considering how late it was getting, the extra lighting wouldn’t be needed soon. Replacing it to keep their parents from knowing it broke might be another thing. The house felt calming and helped Marble curl back up as she laid down and closed her eyes. It was certainly a better holiday spent than the other attempts at Nightmare Night.

A tap at the window immediately drew her eyes open. She didn’t move for a moment as the direction she heard was just out of her sight. Her hooves pulled her blanket tighter for a bit as she waited and hoped it was just her imagination.

Another tap followed by something rubbing against the side of the house made her whimper and pull the fabric over her head. Ghosts and ghouls filled her mind as she recalled them from stories she heard as a filly. Things that never left the dark recesses of her thoughts. She didn’t like it one bit.

The noise traveled around the house, scuffing along the side, until it reach another window. It was much easier for her to look and see out it but she refused. No tapping came though. Instead, she felt the terrible sensation of being watched.

A tiny noise escaped her muzzle as she tried so very hard not to cry. Her eyes shut tightly as she hoped it would go away. Whether it was some scary beast or just her mind going wild, she wanted it to stop and leave.

She got her wish. The noises stopped soon enough and the uncomfortable feeling left her with them. Marble shook and forced herself to open her eyes. It took her some trying but she did manage and even turned to give very brief glances to the windows.

Nothing. Not a single thing appeared wrong or out of the ordinary for them. The mare drew in a shaky breath as she tried to calm down before going through reasons of what it could have really been. Obviously, strange beasts and ghouls didn’t exist. So, it had to be the house settling.

It was a satisfactory conclusion and one she didn’t feel the need any more input was required. Her eyes looked to the windows again after a bit to study the night beyond. The thick fog still seemed to encompass the area. Oddly spooky for it to show up so conveniently on Nightmare Night.

Minutes passed at what felt like a crawling pace. Marble stoked the fire more and set another log into the fireplace as she waited. Her comfort still held though barely. She wished Limestone would hurry up and get back to the house.

The wind howled and made the house creak slightly. It was honestly feeling like she was almost living a scary story. If it weren’t for the fact she had her sister keeping her company and cozy fire then she might have been holed up in her bed and not moved. There was just something so unsettling about the night for her.

Her thoughts passed from one topic to another as she waited. The wind kept itself known as she tried ignoring it while the fog attempted to move on. Having it be so unclear out the windows was something that made it feel like another world entirely outside. Probably why she felt safer just simply being indoors.

A slam against one wall made her squeal and cover her muzzle. It had been so loud and startling she didn’t have another other reaction. She wanted to hide or call out for her sister but felt frozen in place as heavy steps could be heard outside.

The sound of the steps moved around the house as Marble closed her eyes any time it got near a window. She was terrified. While they were only sounds it was that it sounded like somepony was outside and trying to scare her. Then it dawned on her.

Limestone. It had to be her. She was getting her back for the lantern. Maybe just to get her own fun in before Nightmare Night was over. It didn’t matter as Marble felt hurt from the idea.

Sure, the noises did scare her but it was who was behind them that made her less scared and more ashamed. Did she deserve it? Maybe? She didn’t think so but who was she to say?

Another slam but the mare only jumped slightly. Now that she understood what was going on, it didn’t affect her like before. How could her sister do that to her? Just scaring her for fun when Limestone knew how jumpy she got.

There was the sound of something dropping outside. It almost sounded a bit further away. Before she could listen in on it any further, the wind picked up and let out its low howl once again. It didn’t matter.

Marble scooted herself against the leg of the table and tried keeping herself from letting the tears fall. Her vision blurred but she wiped it clear with a foreleg and cleared her throat. It was mean to play such a dirty trick on her. At some point, Limestone would come back and seen how hurt she was.

The thought of her sister coming back from the silo had her look up at a window. Through the fog, the gibbous moon shined bright in a hazy atmosphere outside. It looked so strange seeing it attempt to illuminate through the foggy cover.

Things eventually calmed down enough after a few minutes. The noises outside stopped, almost coming off as something walking away but the wind covered its tracks. Even with the glow of the moon, the land wasn’t any easier to see as it tried piercing the wall of dense fog for clarity. Only the fire ended up being the noise for her to hear after a while.

It seemed as if half an hour or more had gone by while Marble stayed seated and staring at the flames. The winds had died down plenty but did seem to try and speak up more than a few times. No other sounds had been noticed in the otherwise quiet home on the farm. Something didn’t feel right.

Limestone had gone out to the silo to fetch just a lantern and spare tinder. Marble knew it only took minutes going there and coming back. The fog may have been thick but her sister could get from the quarry to the house then there wasn’t a reason she couldn’t make it to the silo and back easily. With the time that had passed, it should have been more than enough for her sister to be back.

Marble looked over at the door, almost expecting her sibling to open it right then. It stood firmly shut as it had been since Limestone had closed it. Even with the scare, she wanted her sister back soon. It would be all in good fun once they both got some rest and there might be an apology in there too. It was just that something kept feeling off to her.

Had she not reacted in a way that her sister wanted? Maybe to call out for her or even scream? The idea didn’t sit well with the gray pony as she looked to the fire once more. Whatever was taking Limestone so long had started making Marble feel unsettled.

It was another hour before there was any other noise. She hadn’t moved from her spot and simply checked the door every other minute. The wait was becoming unbearable to endure. Then there was a scraping sound.

The sound itself came from upstairs. Marble turned her head to stare at the stairway around the corner while listening to the noise carefully. Something was scratching against glass. Her stomach turned.

Limestone wasn’t near tall enough to reach the second story. As much as she wanted to call out, Marble stayed quiet and only moved closer to the stairs. Her body shivered while she listened to the almost careful scrapes to one of the windows above. She hoped that she had pulled the curtains closed to the windows upstairs as she inched closer and stepped around the corner to face up the steps.

Then the noise stopped. It seemed to just end out of nowhere. The earth pony was about to go back to her spot before the fireplace when a heavy thump hit the wall nearest the chimney. A vase nearby shook and inched off a table to come crashing down and make more ruckus.

Marble screamed at the sudden impact against the wall and tried running to the kitchen. Her blanket got caught up around her legs as she felt her heart beating rapidly in a futile attempt to get away from it all. The object hit harder and bounced the picture above the mantle against the wall.

“LIMESTONE!” Marble yelled, her tears starting to run along her cheeks.

The front door took a hit as well but not as hard. It was a quick one before another came. The pony felt as if it were all over and panted quickly, staring at the entryway. When it came busting open, Marble nearly screamed again.

Limestone tumbled into the house with an unsettling look about her. The mare turned around and shoved herself against the door to close it before latching it. Her eyes darted around before she grabbed a nearby wooden chair and tucked it under the handle before finally resting her sight on her frightened sister.

“Marble!” she said and crouched down to hold her tightly. “I’m sorry. I wanted to get in sooner.”

“Wh-where w-w-” Marble tried to utter but found her stumbling words as useless as her legs felt.

“Sshh, sshh,” Limestone whispered and rocked her gently. “We need to be quiet now, okay?”

“M… Mhm,” the scared pony said in her softest tone yet.

They sat together, huddled up and silent for a good few minutes. Limestone took moments to peer around at the windows before continuing to assure her sister things were okay. It felt reassuring to Marble just to hear it.

The only problem was things were far from okay. While the hasty blockade of the door was questionable, it was clear something was very wrong. Limestone had no lantern nor tinder upon arriving far too late for comfort. Questions were quickly rising in Marble’s mind as she started to calm down.

“Wh… Where were you?” she asked in under a whisper while staying against her sister.

“Just relax. I’ll need to cover the windows, okay?” the missing pony said and slowly let go to walk over and pull the curtains of each window closed.

It wasn’t until she finished all the windows on the first floor that she looked only a little better. Something was bothering her deeply. Her gaze continuously darted around the rooms as she walked back to her sister and sat down. It didn’t help that her eyes seemed wide and almost unable to close.

“I was on my way to get the stuff when I heard something,” Limestone started to explain with her head constantly turning to check around. “I saw… something.”

With no elaboration on the subject, Marble looked confused and scared. She was hoping it was just another prank like before and it would all be fine.

“It… Hm,” Limestone started before frowning. “It wasn’t a pony. It chased me into the silo and I had to stay there for a bit. I’m so sorry.”

“I thought… I thought you were… scaring me,” Marble admitted, her little heart still attempting to calm down more.

“I really wish I was,” said her sister in a grim tone. “I tried to still bring the lantern but had to drop it when I saw it on the house.”

The fact her sibling refused to state what exactly it was other than not being a pony only left Marble more concerned. Her imagination started to get the best of her once again as she wondered what exactly could frighten her sister so bad to hide. Everything about the situation just made her feel worse.

“What is… it?” the quiet pony asked and hugged closer to her sister.

“I don’t know,” Limestone whispered and looked off in the direction of the quarry. She hadn’t felt right about the place ever since she uncovered the pit.

They stayed quiet for a while longer as Limestone stared at the door and seemed to wait for it to come open. Nothing came through. No sounds other than the wind and the fire seemed to be of any notice.

It took a bit before they did end up moving from the floor. Marble took the time to shed her blanket and get her legs free as her sister stepped around lightly. The windows were given a check once again before they sat before the fire.

“Did you see it?” her sister asked and looked to her.

“Uh-uh,” Marble replied. She had been too scared to look at the windows.

“Good,” Limestone stated simply and left it at that.

The next hour was spent with them mostly trying to calm each other down. Whatever Limestone had seen looked to have scarred her deeply. She didn’t wish to state any details nor any vague shapes. She was only thankful that her sister hadn’t been unlucky enough to witness it as well.

There was reassurance that there had been no pranks going on to scare Marble and even a dozen apologies for even getting mad at the situation before Limestone left. The two kept their voices to a minimum and hardly spoke above a whisper. No other noises against the house sounded out while they tried to ease their tension.

Though shaking, they did seem to fair better together. Each one did their best to be there for each other. The fire had slowly been dwindling and the flames lowering bit by bit. Lighting in the house was getting lower as well with the candles and lanterns starting to be the only sources.

A rattle against one of the windows made Marble open her muzzle to scream but Limestone’s hoof put a quick stop to it. The shaking got worse for a few moments before stopping. Silence fell on the Pie’s rock farm once more.

Limestone gave a look to her sister with those wide eyes and shook her head. It was clear what she meant by it and Marble just nodded in agreement. The less sounds they made might make whatever it was out there disinterested and go away. It couldn’t stay out there forever, could it?

It almost seemed as if things were going to settle again before the front door took a hit. The wooden piece bounded against the frame and chair. Both of the mares gasped and held their breath as something barreled into the door over and over. Each hit stressed the door itself as well as the frame while all they could do was watch in horror.

Every time there was a hit it made both of them jump slightly. It was impossible to know how close it was to breaking if at all. The chair in place seemed to be resisting most of the attack but it felt so little to stop what was beyond it all. As much stress as the door was under it hardly compared to the sisters as they hoped it held.

Eventually, the pressure stopped and the hits ended. The door stood to last. They could almost feel the relief as the air in the room felt lighter. Sadly, it was only short lived.

Steps followed around the house in a curious fashion. Marble thought it sounded big but with how often it moved she couldn’t tell. Its movements paused at each window with an eerie silence behind every one. There was so much pacing around that it had her confused for a moment.

Suddenly, the window nearest them shattered. The carved rock from earlier tumbled and broke along the floor. Marble couldn’t hold back the shriek as Limestone grabbed her and covered her eyes. The two began stumbling around, Marble unable to see as her sister sounded as if she were about to collapse from hyperventilating. It was impossible to tell where anything was.

They moved away from one source only for another window to crash open. It sounded as if it was running around and smashing them all as fast as it could. With all the ruckus going on, it became a confusing layout for the blinded sister to navigate though she didn’t try to remove Limestone’s hoof. If it was as bad as her sister made it seem then she was grateful for the help.

“Up!” Limestone called over the commotion, helping her sister traverse the stairs in a clumsy fashion.

They ascended in a haste but it felt so very slow compared to the noises Marble could hear. The door had even begun to take another assault and Limestone was near hysterics with her breathing. It felt like it was a pointless attempt with how she couldn’t tell what step they were on or where things were. Everything just blurred into a chaotic mess beyond her sight.

“Its okay,” her sister muttered, “You can do this.” It hardly sounded like she was talking to Marble and more herself.

The steps did end and Marble stumbled forward as her sight came back. Limestone shut the door the room and felt around in the dark for the lock. Her hoof latched it and she pressed her head to the wooden frame as she tried to control her breathing.

Marble felt around in the pitch black room for a candle or lantern. She didn’t wish to draw back the curtain of the window and witness whatever it was that was attempting to break in. The floorboards creaked loudly with every step before she stopped and decided to merely stay still.

The sounds of her sister’s breathing was clear but not too loud. She only hoped her sibling would pull through whatever she had seen. The sounds below were as if somepony were in a desperate attempt to find something. Or them. Furniture was tossed and other items torn apart or thrown around. It was frightening just to listen to.

While they listened and waited, the cold air of the room felt far more chilly than downstairs. Marble shivered as she kept her hooves from pressing on the wooden floor more. It sounded as if Limestone had managed her breathing somewhat as well. At least that was good.

A gust of cold air made her tense up and shake. It was far colder than she expected. The heavy steps below moved about in search of them as they waited and stayed silent. Another gust made Marble freeze more at the sudden thought than the temperature.

She could hear it. The sound of the curtain moving in the wind. During her blind climb the sounds were muddled together. She never knew. There was no way she could have.

Her hoof carefully brushed along the floor before she felt it. Shards of broken glass littered the floor ahead of her. An uneasy feeling moved through her as she wanted to warn her sister. Speaking up would alert the thing downstairs but how would she let her know?

The floorboards in the room creaked deeply.

Author's Note:

Always wanting the house alone when you're young is nice. Though, the crawling fear that stays present will always keep you company.