• Published 29th Oct 2019
  • 542 Views, 11 Comments

Afternoon Tea and Games - BoredAuthor817



Princess Celestia and Sunset Shimmer converse over some tea and chess.

  • ...
7
 11
 542

The Princess's Gambit

The clip-clop of hooves on the stone floor echoed through the ancient cavernous hallway. Two sets moved side by side. One in a steady, fast-paced rhythm, the other a little more sporadic.

“I wish I could come along! It's been so long since we last had tea.”

“Twilight,” laughed Sunset Shimmer, “you're a ruler of a country now. You don't have the time to run away for an afternoon. Besides, you're the one insisting that she and I catch-up.”

“I know,” the princess pouted, pausing mid-prance, “It's just, when I took over for Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, I guess I didn't quite understand just how much free time I would be giving up.”

“Well, that's what you get for being the prized pupil,” Sunset teased.

Twilight winced, “Don't say that. She's every bit as proud of you as she is of me.”

“Yeah, says the one who didn't betray her...” She smiled as Twilight pulled her into a comforting hug.

“But, you've changed and proved your faithfulness. Perhaps, in ways I never could.”

A wry smile crossed Sunset's lips, “Whatever you say, princess. Now, it's getting late and I have a train to catch and you a country to run.”

“Oh, you're not taking the train.”

Sunset stopped, “I'm not?”

“Nope,” Twilight led the way to a balcony where a pegasus-drawn royal chariot was waiting, “you're going in style.”

“Um, Twilight?” Sunset gulped, slowly backing away from the ledge, “Perhaps now would be a good time to mention that I get air sickness.”

“Oh,” Twilight stumbled, “well... Um...” She frowned when Sunset burst into a fit of laughter.

“Gotcha!” she said, punching Twilight's shoulder.

“I could have you thrown in the dungeon for that,” Twilight playfully growled.

“Sure you could,” Sunset winked, “But that's not your style.” She jumped into the chariot and made herself comfortable.

“You think you'll be back in time for dinner?”

“Don't count on it," Sunset said, "Just have something waiting for me in the kitchen.” She signaled to the soldiers that she was ready to depart.

“Will do,” Twilight yelled as the chariot pulled away from the castle, “Have fun and give my regards to the princess!”

---

It was nearly an hour later when Sunset could see a glimpse of Silver Shoals peek over the horizon. She sat back in her seat, smiling to herself and clutching tightly the saddlebag at her side.

She had been looking forward to this ever since the Memory Stone incident. Now that her former mentor had all the time in the world, Sunset could have a proper session.

The chariot touched down just outside the retirement community the former princesses had moved to. Sunset jumped out and, thanking the soldiers, bid them farewell. They saluted her and began their return trip to Canterlot.

Celestia was waiting for Sunset just inside the community gate.

“I hope you had a good trip,” she said, hugging her former pupil.

“Sky chariots are just as exciting as when I was a filly,” Sunset smiled, “How have you been? Retirement treating you well?”

“It does take some adjusting,” Celestia tittered, “But I can't complain.” She motioned for Sunset to follow her to the small house she shared with her sister. “I think I told you that Luna is gone for the weekend. She went with a small group to Manehattan.”

“Your letter just said she'd be gone. What's in Manehattan?”

“Something called My Fair Filly. Ever heard of it?”

“Yes," Sunset said, recalling her moderate theatre knowledge, "it's a musical. Supposed to be a classic. Based off another play by Barnyard Straw.”

“Well,” Celestia muttered, opening the door of her home, “can't be any worse than the show she dragged me to.”

Sunset lightly chuckled as she trotted into the small residence. It was a modest home. Directly off the foyer was a main living area and, off that were two sleeping quarters on one side and a small kitchen on the other. If one had not known, no one would have suspected that royalty lived there. The decor was simple, yet fine quality. Sunset examined each piece with extreme interest. Everything was intricately ornate in the most subtle of details.

“Luna furnished the place,” Celestia said, “It's a bit too plain for my liking.”

“You just don't have an artist's eye,” Sunset ran her hoof over an inlay table top, “The beauty lies in the details.”

“I'll leave you and Luna to fon over the furniture,” Celestia said, dryly, “In the meantime...”

“Yes,” Sunset smiled, taking off her saddlebag, “I brought over a little something from the other side.” She pulled a small tin from her bag. Her smile widened as she watched Celestia's face light up.

“You didn't!” she squealed, taking the tin in her aura.

“I know what you like,” Sunset chuckled, “You want to set up the board, or shall I?”

“You set up the board, I don't trust you with tea leaves.”

Sunset playfully rolled her eyes, as she laid out the chess set, “How was I to know you didn't dump all the leaves in at once?”

“I suppose I should also tell you,” Celestia said, preparing the pot, “We can speak candidly here. There's a silencing spell on the house. No chance of prying ears.”

“All the same,” Sunset said, solemnly, taking a cautious glance out the window, “I'd rather not try my chances.”

“Suit yourself.” She watched out the corner of her eye as Sunset performed an enchantment. With the tea left to steep, Celestia placed the tea set on the table in the center of the room. Sunset was already seated with the board ready.

“As I recall,” she said, “last we played, it was my turn to go first.”

Celestia blinked in surprise, “You can remember that?”

Sunset shrugged, examining her teacup, “Only because we had a disagreement on whose turn it was to play white.” She set her cup down and moved a pawn forward two spaces.

“Typical,” Celestia scoffed.

“What?”

“You always open with a bold move from a pawn.” She mirrored Sunset's move.

Sunset moved a second pawn to protect her first. “Never underestimate pawns.”

“You play a lot on the other side?”

“When I can find a worthy opponent. The school does have a chess club. But, I don't want to embarrass them. The Twilight over there is quite good.”

“Good,” Celestia moved forward her knight, “I was afraid your skills were getting dull.”

Sunset analyzed the board, “Not likely to happen. Even if I couldn't find someone, there was always AI.”

“Ah, yes,” Celestia said, taking a sip of her tea, “the technology over there is quite impressive.”

“It would take us decades to catch up. And that is with the time differential in our favor.”

“But doable?”

“With the right minds behind it. I've pretty much done as much as I can, given my limited resources.”

Celestia's head tilted slightly, “The Element of Magic didn't give you what you needed?”

“Magic is still very muted. Even with all the Elements of Harmony, I'm barely more powerful than an earth pony.”

“Well, from what you tell me of these humans, that's still something.”

“Still,” Sunset sighed, moving a mage, “our world has developed much differently from theirs. Yes, we have magic. But, I'm afraid that, because of our magic, our technological growth has been severely stunted.”

“What gives you this thesis?”

Sunset stirred her tea. “I read a book of theirs. It was about a little girl who found herself taken to a magical land via a cyclone. When she inquired as to how this land still had witches, she was answered because the land was still uncivilized.”

Celestia raised an eyebrow with amusement, “Are you saying we're uncivilized?”

“No,” said Sunset, “but the more I read about that land, the more I saw a parallel to our own. Not only did they have magic, but they were also isolated from the rest of the world. They didn't have the need to develop their military into a strong fighting force, or the need to create great machines. Without the need, they remained stagnant.”

“Do you fear them?”

“I fear what they are capable of,” Sunset said simply, “The good news is they share that fear. They're not secretive about it, often teaching it to their young as a warning.”

Celestia gave a thoughtful hum as she made her move.

“Ha!”

“What?”

Sunset pointed to a corner of the board, “You castled!”

“So? It's a common move.”

“Yes,” the former pupil pointed out, “but you always castle queen side.”

Celestia expressionlessly sipped her tea. “And, yet, you did nothing to stop me.”

“Who said I wanted to stop you?” Sunset smirked, advancing her knight, “What if that's exactly where I wanted you?” Her smirk turned to a smile as she watched her former teacher look shockingly at the board. The former princess had walked right into her trap. She relaxed while her opponent figured out her next move.