• Published 6th Jan 2020
  • 796 Views, 24 Comments

Title Holder - Closer-To-The-Sun



Yona has a new passion that involves smashing: wrestling in the ring.

  • ...
0
 24
 796

Chapter 3: Help

A few days have passed since Ocellus first visited Yona’s wrestling practices. Since then, she actually joined her friend to watch her perform. It was two-fold, partly to give her peace of mind knowing that Yona was wrestling safely, but also because Ocellus found it very fascinating, though she would never admit it.

It was Friday evening and most of the student body was getting dinner in the school cafeteria. Seated at their usual table, Yona and her friends (except for Smolder) were eating dinner. They all chatted and were having a fun time. Despite Yona enjoying her time with her friends, she was feeling exhausted, even more so that she had to go to a wrestling match that very evening. Nevertheless, she still was savoring the moment she had with her friends.

“And that’s when I told Professor Applejack that just wasn’t her lunch, that wasn’t even an apple!” Gallus said.

“Haha, that’s so funny!” Silverstream laughed.

Gallus had a smirk on his face, “I know, that’s why I said it.”

As the whole table laughed, Sandbar looked at Yona and spoke, “Hey Yona, you doing okay? You look tired.”

“Oh, Yona fine! Yona just a little sleepy is all,” she explained with a smile.

“Sleepy? Are you having trouble sleeping at night? Have you tried drinking a glass of warm milk? Ever since living on land, I just love warm milk right before bedtime!” Silverstream mused, “It’s like a nice warm hug before going off to dreamland!”

“No, Yona sleep fine,” the yak started to explain before trailing off, “Actually, Yona having sleep trouble because….”

Ocellus quickly interrupted to help her friend, “Because she’s having trouble with some of her studies!”

“Yes, that! Yona not knew right words!”

“Is it with math? Trust me, I know how that feels. How am I supposed to know how much food to give a hydra? I didn’t even know they existed until I came here,” Gallus said as he took a bite of his food.

“We can always help you if you need it, Yona,” Sandbar offered.

Yona gave a soft smile before standing up to her hooves, “Yona grateful, but Yona gonna study a little more before taking nap.”

“That’s a good idea, get some rest,” Ocellus said, knowing full well that she wasn’t going to do either of those things.

She quickly bid farewell to her friends and trotted off.

“So, Yona’s gonna be out for the night, any other creature got any plans for the evening?” Silverstream asked.

Just as she finished speaking, a small dragon ran into the cafeteria and up to the table.

“Oh, there you are Smolder. We were wondering if you had gotten detention or something,” Sandbar commented.

The dragon ignored the comment as she was trying to catch her breath. When she did, she spoke fast. “Whatever your plans were tonight, cancel them ‘cause I just got us all tickets for Ponyville Extreme Wrestling!” In her claw, she held up six tickets.

Gallus stood up, “No way! How did you get them?” He didn’t wait for an answer, “Doesn’t matter, this is so cool!”

“Ahh! So cool! Who’s wrestling?” Silverstream asked with an excited glee.

“Tonight, we have a tag-team match between Oingo and Boingo against Lynyrd and Skynyrd, and a special tag-team match with Fugazi and Agent Orange facing off against Pantera and Megadeth!”

Silverstream squeed again, “I don’t know who any of those wrestlers are! I’m so excited!”

Smolder looked around the table, “Hey, where’s Yona? I figured she’d be stoked about this.”

“Cause it involves smashing?” Gallus asked with a smile.

“Cause it involves smashing,” the dragon smiled back and pointed at the griffon with a nod.

Ocellus answered the question, “Yona said that she wasn’t feeling too well and had some studying to do.”

“Oh, that’s lame,” Smolder responded. “We should still ask if she wants to come with.”

“Yeah, this does seem like something she’d be interested in going to,” Sandbar commented.

“Let’s go ask and see if she wants to join anyway,” Silverstream chimed in, “This is so her kind of thing!”

Each creature left the table and started towards the dorms. The changeling trailed the rest of her friends, worried about keeping Yona’s secret.

In the dormatory’s hallways, the group arrived at Yona and Ocellus’ door. Before anycreature could knock, Ocellus stepped forward.

“Oh, hang on a second, I’ll check to see if she’s interested. She might be deep in studying or even napping,” Ocellus explained as she opened the door just enough for her to sneak inside without allowing the rest of her friends seeing inside.

Once she made it through the threshold of the door and closed it behind her, she Yona in the middle of their room packing her bag for the evening. Yona saw her friend and gave her a smile as she finished putting her items inside. But before she could speak, Ocellus raised a hoof up to stop her.

“Every creature is outside the door right now, and they are asking if you want to go to the wrestling match tonight,” Ocellus explained in a voice just above a whisper.

“Yona is going to wrestling match, cause Yona is in wrestling match,” she said quietly with a smile.

“That’s not the point! Smolder got tickets and they all came to ask if you wanted to join and watch! They certainly can’t find out that you aren’t actually tired and actually wrestling against other creatures!”

“Yona know that, but Yona don’t want to lie to friends.”

“So you ask me to lie to them for you?” Ocellus asked in a state of disbelief. She took a moment before speaking again, “I understand you want to wrestle and not lie to every creature, but please think about what you’re doing here. This already getting out of hoof.”

The yak saddled up her bag upon her back and opened the window, “Yona needs to leave now. Please help and cover for Yona, please?”

“Wait, we’re on the second story!” Ocellus called out as she climbed out of the window. However, she was already outside and the ground shook with a loud boom. Ocellus hurried to the window to see Yona on the ground. She seemed a little shaken by her fall, but in both a good state and in good spirits. With a wave that could be interpreted as ‘see you at the show’, the yak hurried off.

Ocellus sighed in both relief and annoyance as she watched her friend trot off, but this was cut short by a knock at the door, “Every creature okay in there?” It was Silverstream.

The changeling’s heart skipped a beat at the sound. She quickly thought of her options and came to her best choice, even if she didn’t entirely like it.

The dorm door opened and a yak head poked through the small opening. “Hello friends!” Ocellus tried her hardest to both sound and talk like Yona. She actually surprised herself with how well she was doing with it.

“Hey, Yona. You okay?” Smolder asked with a tilted head.

“Yona fine! Yona just fall off of bed when Ocellus come in,” Ocellus said.

“Huh, must of been deep in studying if you didn’t hear us coming down the hall,” Gallus commented, “Anyway, we got tickets to see some wrestling tonight! Wanna come with? There will probably be smashing involved.”

Ocellus had to think fast of a good lie, “Yona would like to, but Yona not feeling too good.” The changeling prayed that her friends would buy it.

Silverstream was the first to speak, “Actually, now that you mention it, you do look under the weather. In fact, you’re looking almost as green as Sandbar.”

“But I am green,” Sandbar raised an eyebrow at the hippogryff.

“Yeah, but you’re like green in a way that’s beyond looking sick,” Silverstream explained herself.

This confused the earth pony even more, “I….don’t follow….”

Smolder stepped in, “Like, you look sick but you aren’t sick.”

“Actually, now that they brought it up, what do you look like when you are sick. Do you turn a darker shade of green or do you turn another color like red or purple?” Gallus asked in both a half joking and half serious manner.

“Oh! Maybe he turns into like a plaid color?” Smolder commented.

As her friends were clamoring amongst themselves, Ocellus interrupted as her yak friend, “Yona wishes for friends to have fun tonight. Tell Yona all about it tomorrow!” As she bid her friends goodbye, she closed the door. The changeling, still as Yona, breathed another sigh of relief. She then turned to the mirror they had in their room, seeing herself still as a yak. “Do I actually look green when I’m Yona?” Ocellus quietly asked herself, looking at her reflection. Regardless, she turned herself back into normal changeling form and regrouped with her friends.