• Published 22nd Oct 2020
  • 2,862 Views, 65 Comments

Realms of Magic: The Realm of the Gryphons - TheEighthDayofNight



An elf, Kathranis Shadowsong, is transported to the realm of Equus by wild magic. This story follows his explorations of the different races and civilizations a new world has to offer.

  • ...
7
 65
 2,862

Chapter 21

As they walked through the halls, Kathranis found it hard not to speak. His thoughts were turbulent, and he was unable to get the sensations of kissing Aquila out of his mind. He had always been able to tell when an attractive women was such, but Aquila… She was beautiful, inside, and out. From her silky smooth, gold-as-a-coin headfeathers, to the heat, the all enveloping warmth of her being. It had pressed into him with their kiss, and he felt cold without it, felt colder still with the doubt that the motion had been genuine, however much he wish it had been. There were many practiced in such arts for this very reason, to confuse, to lower defenses, and over the years he had easily avoided so many attempts to lull him into a false sense of security with false promises and false beauties. This time, however, he had gotten himself hurt, and he had no idea if he should feel so or not. Aquila had promised another kiss after all, and as much as he had justified her earlier actions as being a good host, even he wasn’t dense enough to believe that act was anything other than romantic.

It didn’t help that she had chosen a rather terrible time to spring this new confusion upon him. He still had to make a decision regarding the Thayans, and he wasn’t all too sure about that either. They were obviously building a city with extensive fortifications in gryphon territory, and that would require action, but war? He still felt that far too extreme, felt that there had to be another side to this. Yes, Galdug’s attack was fairly damning evidence that the Thayans were out for blood, but then again, the half-orc could have also pressed the ambush purely to end their rivalry. He needed to see who was in charge, perhaps even speak with them to see if some kind of deal could be brokered. That line of thinking, however, endangered his people. If Aquila was truly leading him on, then all veneer of hospitality could drop.

Kathranis brutally crushed that thought, hated that it had even popped into his head. Romance might be out of the question, but Aquila was still a good person, would still act as any friend would. Still, with that sliver of doubt now fully embedded in his brain, Kathranis knew that he would have to negotiate some sort of payment, though that particular thought also burned him. To reduce his people to petty mercenaries made him feel less, and he hated it. Still, it was a necessity, and if it meant guaranteeing a future for his people, he would pursue it, no matter the personal cost.

Lost in personal thought, Kathranis didn’t see Zefuris whirl on him until a hand was around his throat. The gryphon had a grip of steel as he slammed the elf into the wall, threatening to block all light as his wings flared.

“You will not speak to Princess Aquila again,” Zefuris growled. “I already warned you once, but you immediately turned and ignored me. This little romantic folly of yours will not stand. I will not let it. Am I clear this time?”

Kathranis gritted his teeth, trying to pry the hand from his throat, but found that he couldn’t so much as pry a talon away, let alone the entire hand. Zefuris’s grip tightened, and he leaned in.

“Am I clear Shadowsong?”

Kathranis clenched his teeth, drawing precious breath through his nose as Zefuris threatened to strangle his air off completely. He brought his ankles to the wall, then with another gasping breath, pushed, shoving himself away from the wall. The motion allowed him to swing his legs up, wrapping them around Zefuris’ arm. With a twist of his waist, Kathranis managed to yank himself free and he fell to the flagstones. Kathranis had no time to truly recover, however, as Zefuris again reached out to strangle him. Skipping backward, Kathranis drew a sword, pointing the tip at Zefuris’ chest, halting the gryphon. Kathranis grimaced and rubbed his throat.

“You do not dictate who I speak to,” he growled, his voice cracking slightly as he drew a pained breath. “As for my “romantic folly” I have no idea what you’re talking about, and even if I did, it’s no business of yours either way.”

It was a lie of course, but he’d be damned if he admitted anything before he could talk with Aquila and make sure it wasn’t all just a misunderstanding. He could hide a broken heart. A public admission of love however, that was difficult to retract.

“Don’t play stupid,” Zefuris spat. “Anyone with eyes can see that you’re attempting to court Princess Aquila, the end to your duel proves that. Since you entered the castle she’s been at your side constantly, something the most qualified suitors could never come close to achieving.”

“As has Prince Valan,” Kathranis said. “Do you believe I’m attempting to bed the prince as well simply because he’s doing his duty and keeping an eye on a potential ally for his father?”

“You’re no ally, you’re a snake,” Zefuris said. “I know exactly what you intend to tell King Terran, you want to make peace with the humans. We’re standing in the opening throes of war, and you want to waste the opportunity to strike first, to strike decisively.”

“It isn’t a waste if peace can be pursued,” Kathranis countered. “I do not know why you hold such hatred for the humans, but they are not so different from you. Strong, overly headstrong. You’d get along with them well if you’d only just talk to them.”

He slowly sheathed his sword, watching the gryphon carefully for any twitches that would indicate further attack.

“If you don’t like what I have to say, then feel free to tell King Terran your opinions, I’m such he’s a grown adult able to make his own decisions. He, like the prince and princess, doesn’t need your, how did you phrase it? Ah yes, “curbing”.” He snorted. “Especially given how heavy-handed as it is.”

“Now,” Kathranis said, his tone firm. “Are we going to see the king or not?”

Zefuris snarled, his head feathers puffing up, but he turned on his heel instead of lashing out again, stomping toward the throne room.

“We are, and he will hear everything.

Kathranis waited for a second for the gryphon to move a few steps ahead, then moved forward, matching his long strides with a brisk pace that allowed him to appear relaxed as he followed the furious gryphon through the halls.

They reached the throne room in no time, and the guards, perhaps seeing their leader in a rage, simply opened the doors without a word, not sparing Zefuris, nor Kathranis a glance as they passed through the tall portal.

Terran sat seated on his throne, his posture quickly adjusting from where he’d been leaning toward a guard. The steel glad gryphon whispered something, to which Terran nodded, then waved him away. As the gryphon left the throne room, Zefuris and Kathranis stopped side by side at the bottom of the throne, neither looking at the other.

“I expected you to be longer,” Terran said. “Where’s Valan?”

“I let him attend other business once we returned,” Kathranis answered.

He heard a clack as Zefuris’ beak snapped closed, but didn’t spare the gryphon a glance as he pressed on, remaining cool and collected.

“We were successful in taking a look at the humans…” He paused, then said; “I hesitate to call it a camp, perhaps fortress is the right word, but it is sizable, and with their magic, they are building walls to rival yours, and are doing so quickly.”

Terran frowned, leaning forward slightly.

“So they mean to stay. Seeing as they have not approached me, that means war.”

Kathranis grimaced, even as he felt the gryphon next to him puff up slightly with satisfaction.

“I do not believe so, good King, at least not yet. We were fairly close, yet I saw no patrols, no great scouring of the forests, or of anything really. The walls already covered a sizable area, but I believe the humans are remaining inside. I think perhaps, they are afraid of what you will do with them given all the rumors they’ve no doubt caught wind of with their scrying magic. If they know you think them murders, they are likely just trying to protect themselves.”

As he fell quiet, Kathranis waited for Zefuris to speak up, to contradict his points, but the gryphon said nothing, waiting silently in place as Terran stroked his chin.

“While that is possible, it is also possible that the humans are carving out a portion of my territory because I have not yet driven them away. That is, at least, how my people will see it if I continue to not act. I have given you time to think, and now to see. I must act decisively from here on, otherwise the opportunity to act will be gone and the humans will be entrenched.”

Kathranis swallowed nervously as Zefuris again puffed up.

“Then might I suggest a strategy that would suit us both?”

Terran tapped his talons on the armrest of his throne.

“Suggesting strategies is reserved for family, servants, or allies.” He leaned back in his throne, smiling like a housecat cornering its prey. “With the rumors I heard before you arrived, I’m curious Shadowsong, which do you consider yourself?”

“Depending on how we approach this,” Kathranis said, hesitating slightly and doing his best not to lick his lips with nervousness. He needed to watch his words, especially given how closely the gryphon king was watching him. “I would see myself as an ally.”

Terran’s smile widened.

“Really?” He looked to Zefuris. “And your thoughts my friend?”

“I believe that Master Shadowsong and Princess Aquila should be separated.” Zefuris said, his tone short and forceful. He pointed an accusing talon toward Kathranis. “He is undoing all the good work you and my queen have done to find her an appropriate suitor, and he’s doing so publicly. If word hasn’t already gotten out about their flirtations, then it will be out soon, and Princess Aquila will never find a proper husband.”

Kathranis was surprised when Terran’s smile didn’t seem to dim, and instead the gryphon king leaned on one arm, still smiling down at Zefuris.

“And what would a “proper” husband look like Zefuris?”

Zefuris’ eyes flicked toward Kathranis for a moment in disbelief, then back up to the throne.

“My King, you can’t… really? Him?”

Terran snorted and rolled his eyes, sitting up straight.

“I haven’t said anything my friend, I merely asked you a question. What does the proper mate for my daughter look like? You obviously have some idea, as you have deemed Master Shadowsong unworthy, so I’d like to hear what you have in mind! If nothing else, it might help in the continued search for her husband.”

Zefuris shook his head, beak open in exasperation for a moment, then it clacked shut as he looked to the ground thinking. Eventually the gryphon looked up and crossed his arms.

“Her husband must be strong, your line demands no less.”

“From what I hear, Shadowsong was winning for most of the duel, and with casual effort on his part,” Terran said. His head tilted slightly and his eyes froze Kathranis in place with their burning intensity. “Though it is only because Aquila turned her head into the blow that I will forgive him marring her face.”

Kathranis swallowed and bowed slightly.

“Apologies, good King. I should have been ready to pull the blade back.”

“The wound was healed without scar and my daughter forgave you Blademaster. Just don’t do it again or dealing with Deyenidal’s yelling will be the least of your problems.”

Kathranis nodded, and Terran leaned back in his chair, the humored light in his eyes making a return as he looked toward Zefuris.

“Still, Shadowsong has proven he’s a worthy warrior, even if he is a skinny little thing. That’s one mark in his favor.”

“Her suitor needs to be humble, needs to respect both her as a person and as a princess,” Zefuris said. He glared at Kathranis. “Shadowsong humiliated Princess Aquila in their duel. His apparent centuries of experience have only bloated his pride in his abilities.”

“Shadowsong stooped to duel such a lowly fighter,” Terran said. “Aquila is not close to our best, is still training in fact. He was humble enough to see the fight through until the end despite it being clear from early on he was her better, not to mention the fact that he accepted defeat when Aquila, by technicality, cheated her way to victory.” His gaze again shifted to Kathranis. “But I’m sure there was some mutual enjoyment in that type of loss.”

Kathranis blushed and looked away, scratching at his head, deciding it wise not to answer. Terran chuckled, looking back to Zefuris.

“And Shadowsong has been well respectful of my daughter as his guide, as well as respectful of our culture, even when it clashes with his own. I think he’s humble enough, although-” he glanced at Kathranis “-you could play into your legend a bit more Shadowsong. Today’s duel helps, but if you want to survive among gryphons, you need to be…”

“More outspoken?” Kathranis offered.

“Louder,” Terran finally said after a long moment of thought. “And you could afford to occasionally strike someone who insults you. Set an example of strength.”

Kathranis flashed a smile.

“Strength comes in many forms, good King. I prefer the peaceable approach whenever available.”

Terran sighed and rolled his eyes.

“You’re not making it easy to sell you Shadowsong, but still, humble. Shadowsong meets that mark as well. Next.”

“There’s consideration of the bloodline then,” Zefuris said. “Princess Aquila will need to try for heirs. Shadowsong is a different species.”

“Pony magic can fix that. Next.”

“He’s ill educated, he might respect our culture, but he barely knows it-”

“He’s meeting with a tutor tomorrow. Next.”

Zefuris growled.

“He hasn’t pledged himself to you yet. He’s not an ally, nor does he pacify the noble families.”

“Damn the royal families, they’ll have war to profit off of, that’s enough. As for pledge, that’s why we’re talking of a mate,” Terran said, leaning forward. “Marriage is the pledge. Come on Zefuris, don’t tell me my oldest friend has finally gone senile. Think. What is the most important mark that all other suitors have failed to meet?”

Kathranis found Zefuris’ eyes scanning him, moving up and down. It looked to him as if the gryphon was looking for more faults, something to give Terran that he might separate him from Aquila.

It was at that thought that Kathranis truly grasped the scope of what they were discussing. Marriage? He couldn’t be married. He was a blademaster, a ranger of the wilds. To marry a princess, he’d be in the walls of a city for the rest of his life, if not at minimum the rest of Aquila’s life, and he didn’t even know for certain that she liked him. There were a great many signs of course, and he was fairly certain that he was in love with her, but they hadn’t yet had a conversation about the matter. He certainly shouldn’t be discussing marrying her with her father before he discussed the beginnings of a relationship with her.

While Zefuris continued to think, Kathranis cleared his throat, drawing Terran’s eyes. The gryphon king grinned at him knowingly, as if he already knew what the elf was going to say. He flicked his fingers, bidding Kathranis to speak.

“Apologies, good King,” Kathranis said, “but don’t you think we should hear Aquila’s thoughts on the matter? In my eyes, all of her attention can be seen merely as being an exceptional diplomat. As far as I know, she couldn’t care less about me, ah…” He coughed and looked away nervously thumbing the hilts of his swords. “Romantically.”

Terran clicked his tongue and smiled at Zefuris.

“Shadowsong has it, my friend. He only gets to hear any of this because she seems interested. As far as I know, she approves of him, and since he meets most other marks with ease, that makes him the best choice to be a suitor, gryphon or not.”

Zefuris shot another look toward Kathranis.

“He’s too foreign my King, too unknown. Your people will loathe him.”

Terran rose from his throne and strode down, clapping the tall gryphon on the shoulder.

“That will soon change my friend. Leave the matter to me, I can handle even a fine swordsgryph like Shadowsong.”

His other hand clapped Kathranis’ shoulder and that dangerous glean again entered the gryphon king’s eyes, putting a touch of supernatural fear in the elf.

“That being said, we’ll start with my warning.” His eyes flashed, and his grin was anything but humorous as he squeezed the elf’s shoulder. “If you break my daughters heart, I will personally pick the meat from your bones, then grind what remains to powder and feed it to your kin.” His taloned hand shifted and he gave Kathranis a pat on the back. “But I don’t think that’s a necessary threat with you Shadowsong, it just makes me feel better having said it. Hopefully you can forgive this old buzzard for being a protective father?”

Kathranis grinned nervously.

“Only if you can forgive the same from me, should it come to that.” He sighed and looked down. “But I’m afraid all of this is a touch premature. I again say, she could just be doing her duty to you. I’ve never been the best diplomat, merely good enough to get by. I am not expert enough to say if she’s actually been trying to-”

He stopped as Terran threw his head back in a loud, almost painful, laugh. As he roared with laughter, Terran waved Zefuris away, then wrapped a wing around Kathranis’ shoulders. Kathranis noticed a slight curl on the armored gryphon’s beak, almost as if he was smiling as he walked out of the throne room. Terran began to move forward, and aside from digging in his heels and trying to push his way out, there was nothing Kathranis could do to stop it as Terran forced him up the throne steps, then onto the throne itself.

Terran plopped down, his wing dragging Kathranis to sit beside him. As his laughter tapered off, Terran simply stared out at the throne room, completely relaxed. In contrast, Kathranis sat as straight-backed as possible, his hands resting on his thighs as he did his best not to fidget. Terran eyed him and chuckled.

“Come now Shadowsong, relax. Nobody is here to judge.”

“I have never seen myself as a ruler,” Kathranis said, not looking toward the gryphon king. “I certainly have never sat on a throne.”

“Then let me start by telling you the risks of courting Aquila,” Terran said.

He stared at Kathranis, his eyes directing the elf to lean back like he was. Though he found it uncomfortable, he did as the gryphon king bade, leaning into his golden feathers. Terran seemed pleased and threw an arm over Kathranis’ shoulders as they stared out at the empty throne room.

“She’s a princess Shadowsong, which means there will be no leaving this castle. She will forever be stuck here or some other palace, playing diplomat,” he snorted dismissively, “or more likely playing mother hen to the squabbling children that find themselves in power. The political world is forever hers, because my family will remain in this seat, I have seen to it.” He looked to Kathranis. “If you pursue her, which I think you will, that means you’ll be stuck here too, playing the exact same games. She says you love the wilds. I tell you now that you’ll barely see them.” He looked up in thought, then shrugged and looked forward. “Or maybe you’ll have plenty of time in the forests, my son is set to replace me after all. You’ll probably just help Zefuris, or whatever guard replaces him, protect Valan.”

“This all being dependent on if Aquila wants to court me,” Kathranis said. “Because if you or Zefuris think I have the slightest chance in romancing her without her consent…”

Terran chuckled and gave him a squeeze.

“You really need that tutor Shadowsong. Short of a chase, Dranidal tells me that Aquila has all but been begging you to bed her, and every time you dance around the question, just like you danced around her in that duel. I think half the reason she’s interested in you is that you’re making her do the pursuing, and she loves that. She’s always been headstrong,” he chuckled. “I’ll leave that up to you who she gets that from, but being my eldest, she expected more, but got shafted by her brother. Gryphon custom is as good as law though, so she was moved to the side.” He sighed. “Shame that. She’d make a wonderful queen. Valan… well you know. The boy lacks…” He waved a hand. “Plenty. He’s not yet fit to be a king.”

“From what I can tell, he’s merely sheltered,” Kathranis said, keeping his voice low as he chose his words carefully. Offending a king was a bad idea on a good day, and he certainly didn’t want to call his potential father in law a bad father right to his face. “He’s not confident, because he’s never had to make hard decisions for himself. I imagine either you, or Zefuris, or his mother, or his sister have always been there to either question, or steer him a different direction instead of simply letting him fail.” He flashed a ghost of a smile. “Luckily enough, our near-death experience seems to have, at least for the moment, curbed his pride and aggression. It is progress, if I may say, and I’m happy to see it. I hope I can help him grow far more over time.”

He stared at his hands, then when silence filled the air, glanced toward Terran. The gryphon king’s smile met his eyes, as did a comforting squeeze.

“I can see why Aquila likes you Shadowsong, and understand that; she does like you. It wouldn’t surprise me if she snatched you away the second you left here.”

“I don’t think she would be so bold,” Kathranis chuckled.

He looked to Terran who waited with an eyebrow raised. Kathranis’ chuckle died away.

“Right?”

“My wife tied me up and egg-snatched me while at a peace summit with the rock wolves that used to inhabit the mountain,” Terran said. “As I said, I’m surprised she hasn’t taken you yet. She must really be enjoying the chase.” He winked. “But just let it play out Shadowsong, and if you do find yourself in love with my daughter and she in love with you, know that you have my approval. Any troubles that come your way, come to me, and we’ll handle them together.”

He sighed.

“That being said; to business. This matter stays private until Aquila publicly announces your courting. That’s non-negotiable, and she knows it. You’re safe in the castle, and I’ll give orders to the guards to keep prying eyes away.”

“Of course, I’m not going to strut around singing from the rooftops that Aquila is interested in me,” Kathranis said. His heart immediately fluttered, and he couldn’t help but mumble; “Although if she does tell me that, it may be a slight struggle.”

Terran snorted.

“Good. Your humility is a strength, but I also want you to show that you value her. I want to see some strutting when she finally marks you as hers, but… for a later time. It’s a matter of safety, for both you and her. Even now you may wish to start taking a bodyguard with you, you’ll certainly be in somegryph’s sights from now on.” Terran took a deep breath, tapping the armrests of his throne. “As for the human business, what was this strategy of yours? We may play at cagey in front of the nobles, but you are an ally Shadowsong, and a close one. It might be foolish, but you bleed trustworthiness.” He snorted again. “I do hope you’re not a spy. I’d feel like an idiot.”

“I’ve spied before,” Kathranis admitted. “And I probably will again, but not here good King. You’re too hospitable to spy on. Also I think Aquila would break my fingers if she found out I was a spy.”

The words caused Terran to laugh and he nodded in agreement.

“She’s a rough one, that’s for sure. You need to get meat on your bones boy, she’ll eat you alive.” His laughter tapered off. “Still, your strategy?”

“To pacify your other allies, I recommend sending out patrols to capture human foraging parties, strangle their food, force them to the bargaining table,” Kathranis said. “And with this, I would send another emissary. If you’d like, I could go. Tatiana wasn’t quite a friend, but we were friendly enough that she’d recognize me, might even be more willing to speak with me. With their magic, tearing down those walls of theirs would be simple, and you could resettle them, or even incorporate them into your kingdom.”

He spread his hands, leaning forward as he looked over at Terran.

“Such is my plan. Harass the humans, starve them out with minimal loss of life to either side. Force them to negotiate, then earn yourself an indebted neighbor, or fresh, magical subjects. They might not be the kindest creatures, but they are frighteningly intelligent, and their perseverance is second to none.”

“But they are dangerous,” Terran said, a statement more than a question.

Kathranis winced.

“As much as I am, but they can also understand the wisdom of negotiation. As I told Zefuris, they are much like gryphons, aside from several notable flaws.”

“Flaws that can be mended?” Terran asked, his eyebrows raising.

“With time and a guiding hand,” Kathranis replied. “They were stuck in an evil place, had to do evil things to escape, but they are finally free. Let’s guide them to a better path, not steal paradise from beneath their feet.”

Terran nodded slowly, then withdrew both his arm, and his wing. Kathranis took it as a cue to rise, and he stepped down from the throne, pausing at the bottom to see if there was anything else. Terran stared into nothing for a long, silent moment, then looked down at the elf, his eyes still glazed with thought.

“I will consult some of my advisors on your strategy Shadowsong, perhaps do some scouting of my own. I shall make an announcement on my decision after the ceremonies on Fifthsday.” He waved away, a smile touching his beak. “Now go find Aquila. Talk to her. I think you’ll find your doubts about her actions unfounded, although credit where it’s due, she has been a fantastic diplomat.” He winked and waved the blushing Kathranis away. “Now go, before I send some suitor to sweep her off her feet.”

Kathranis offered the gryphon king a low bow, then strode away, his step quickening as soon as he left the throne room. The words were in jest, he knew that, but the thought of Aquila searching for another… He blushed harder at the thought of the word mate, yet it was accurate, and he had to at least make sure he had a chance at such before some other, likely better, suitor came along.

He sped through the halls, doing his best to not looked panic as he kept his strides long, but quick. His cloak billowed behind him as he turned a corner, and his lips curled into a smile as he spotted Valan leaning against a wall opposite some windows painted orange with the sunset. Secil sat across from the gryphon, his belly upturned in the warm sunlight. Kathranis ignored his familiar for the moment, however, and moved toward Valan. The gryphon looked up, and he too smiled, though somewhat nervously as Kathranis approached.

“Do you know where Aquila is?” Kathranis asked, mildly surprised when his voice came out sounding desperate and somewhat gasping. He had been trying to sound casual, but likely his brisk pace had driven the calm from his lungs, even as he stopped a few paces from the young gryphon.

Valan chuckled, seeming not to notice the elf’s disheveled state. Instead he took a step back, staring at Kathranis’ feet, then at the door that was between them. Valan winced, then met Kathranis’ gaze.

“You could say that Shadowsong. Why?”

“I…” Suddenly words were difficult, his throat drier than the most barren of deserts. He coughed, looking toward his rolling familiar for comfort. “I wanted to speak with her. It’s a personal matter.”

Valan backed away a step.

“I know where she is,” he said.

Kathranis couldn’t help himself in his excitement and took a step forward.

“Where? Is she busy? I don’t want to disturb her if she’s doing something important.”

That was a lie. Important could mean sitting with another suitor. He definitely wanted to interrupt that. Valan took another step back as he answered, again glancing to Kathranis’ feet, then the door.

“She’s waiting for you actually. If you’ll just follow…” He stepped back a third time, this time forcing Kathranis to say something.

“And do you intend to lead me to her a step at a time good Prince?” Kathranis snorted, the gryphon’s odd behavior momentarily relieving the pressure he felt on his chest.

Valan groaned and threw his head back.

“This plan is so stupid. Dee, just snatch him already!”

Kathranis cocked his head at the young gryphon, opening his mouth to speak as a moment of silence stretched between them, but just as the first word left his tongue, the door slammed open and a pair of strong hands seized his armor. Kathranis didn’t have time to see anything but a blur as he was yanked forward with a yelp. Warm, fuzzy darkness surrounded him as the door slammed closed, leaving the elf feeling bewildered, but comfortable.

Outside, Valan swung his arms as he leaned back against the door. One foot pressed against it, ensuring that it was completely closed. Valan crossed his arms and stared out the windows overlooking the sea with a frown. He hoped his sister wasn’t wrong, but she had seemed extremely confident when she had approached him to help with her little plan. Hopefully the elf would be receptive, then maybe he could leverage his help in bringing them together to escape his debt. He liked having Shadowsong around, he gave good advice, and more importantly treated him as if he was a person instead of just a future king. He especially liked him more than the brute Zefuris, always disappointed, always trying to hammer in some stupid, inane lesson. Yes there was value in that, but he didn’t need to be an ass, damn how many battles he’d seen.

Still, he’d much rather have the elf be a drinking buddy or an advisor than some leash holder. He hated following the elf around on his most mundane tasks, hated being away from his own bed, hated having to ask permission for every little thing. He wanted his freedom back, then he could tail the elf around on his fun adventures and leave him to his business the rest of the time. Maybe find his own piece of fluffy tail to chase after.

He heard a snort and looked down from his musings to find the elf’s cat. The cat rolled and stretched, almost grinning at him. Valan scowled back.

“I could eat you.”

As if in answer, the cat yawned, his fangs sharp and shiny in the fading sunlight.

Within the closet, Kathranis felt a warm body press against him while the other wiggled toward the door. Deyenidal yanked a steel bar across the door, then glanced over her shoulder, her eyes glinting in the practically non-existent light.

“We’ll have no interruptions, Princess.”

Aquila purred, drawing Kathranis’ eyes up. The gryphoness’s emerald green eyes shined down at him.

“Good. We need to talk Shadowsong, where nobody can hear.”

Kathranis shuddered as one of her taloned fingers stroked his cheek, somehow tracing the tattoo running across his face despite the only light being what could slip beneath the door. He leaned into her hand, closing his eyes, more than satisfied with her warm touch.

“Are you alright?” Aquila murmured. “Zefuris looked furious, did he rough you up?”

Kathranis resisted the urge to shake his head, knowing that doing so would push her hand away.

“It was nothing I can’t handle,” he said. “I’m surprised you didn’t ask about your father. He seems to be a protective sort.”

Aquila giggled.

“And I’m sure if he thought you dangerous to me, you wouldn’t have escaped the throne room.” Her fingers fell to his chest, and Kathranis found himself pressed back against the wall, the gryphoness grinning at him. “So, what did you three talk about in there?”

“Strategy,” Kathranis quickly spat out, his voice too loud, too fast. When Aquila’s eyes twinkled with non-belief, he couldn’t help but blush and look away. “As well as, a personal matter,” he added.

“A personal matter,” she echoed. “Let me guess; Dad brought up courting, Zefuris was angry about you being a suitor, and Dad pointed out how fitting you are. Did I miss anything?”

Kathranis flushed harder.

“You did not.”

“Too easy,” Aquila purred, putting a talon underneath Kathranis’ chin, gently forcing him to meet her gaze again. “But unfortunately, I had to leave my little hidey hole early to set up this ambush, so I missed how you responded to the talk.” Her beak took on a devious grin, and she pressed closer. “So how did you respond Shadowsong? What did you say when my father, the king of the gryphons, asked if you wanted to court me?”

“This is a trap,” Kathranis said, trying to fend off the question.

Deyenidal snorted.

“That didn’t help you escape it.”

Aquila hummed lightly and nodded in agreement. Kathranis sighed and his eyes again shifted down.

“I told him that while I have… certain feelings, I also didn’t know if you even returned such for me, and that any such talk would be premature at best. I told him I believed you were just playing your role as diplomat and friend to perfection, and that I wanted to confirm your intent, that I wanted to speak with you on the matter before words like “courting” even came into play.”

“Well then, let me ease your doubts,” Aquila chuckled.

She grabbed his ponytail and yanked his head back, then pressed their lips together. Kathranis had thought he’d been kissed before during their duel, but this… It was just as surprising, but a thousand times more ferocious, more filled to the bursting with passion. He felt Aquila’s warmth press into him, and he couldn’t help but feel a warmth well up from inside. He responded in kind, trying his best to push back against the gryphoness. She let him push her against the opposite wall, and only when they were both out of breath did they pull apart. Aquila’s hands held Kathranis’ face, and her thumbs rubbed his cheeks.

“I hope that gives you an answer Shadowsong, because it certainly answers all of my questions.”

Kathranis smiled, doing his best not to pant.

“I… I need to give you the talk-”

Aquila gave him a peck on the lips, silencing him.

“Shush, you’ve already made your age very clear, and I will just savor the knowledge that I will have a young, handsome husband until my feathers are white and our children are ready to succeed us.” She pulled him tight to her chest. “I also heard that it will hurt you far more, and for that, I’m sorry, but I won’t give you up Shadowsong. I like you far too much to drive you away now.”

Kathranis breathed a sigh of relief, felt immense weight lift from his shoulders that he hadn’t truly realized he’d been carrying.

“I hope you don’t mind my goddess being apart as well?” he mumbled, feeling safe with her fur resting against his cheek.

Aquila chuckled and winked at Deyenidal.

“Not even five minutes and he’s bringing another harpy into my nest. What will I do with him?”

The large gryphoness grinned back.

“An egg would work wonders Princess.”

Kathranis’ eyes widened and he felt himself warm, even as Aquila squawked, with indignation or just sheer embarrassment, he couldn’t tell. One of her wings struck Deyenidal in the back of her head.

“We just kissed, an egg is way too soon, especially since we have to stay secret for a while!”

Deyenidal shrugged.

“Not if you give him a feather you don’t.”

Aquila grimaced.

“Dee, it’s too soon for a feather. We just kissed, just dueled, and he wasn’t even trying!”

Kathranis cleared his throat, and Aquila’s eyes flicked to him, a smile quickly, desperately spreading on her beak.

“But if you want a feather, I can-”

Kathranis, feeling particularly bold, decided to silence the gryphoness the same way she had silenced him. He gave her a gentle kiss, taking a second longer to pull away, unable to resist the surprising softness of her beak. She giggled and met his eyes as he spoke.

“Your father mentioned remaining secretive for the moment as well, but while I think his motives are so that he can cut deals with his other allies, I would like to hear why you would like to keep our relationship a secret.”

“Our relationship,” Aquila cooed. “I do like the sound of that…” She shook her head, shaking off her dreamy look. “It’s not anything to do with…” She sighed. “Actually, it is something about you, and while I respect her and am happy that you have her, there are many who will not accept a suitor with a foreign goddess. Just mentioning a foreign goddess will be enough to put people against you, and I won’t tolerate hatred of my elf.” Her eyes glinted and she pulled him in tighter, her wings curling protectively around him. “I won’t.”

Kathranis nodded slowly, sighing happily in her warm embrace.

“So you would like to wait until I sort things out with your mother,” he said. “Once she announces that Lady Sylvannus and Harmony are allied, then we can do the same.”

“I don’t like hiding this,” Aquila said. “Especially since it’ll make Mom happy that I’ve finally found somebody, but it’s necessary. I want you safe Shadowsong, and I want you happy. If you’re persecuted because of your goddess, you won’t love living with me, and it will drive us apart. So can we please keep this secret? Just until we figure out how to get Mom to recognize Lady Sylvanus?”

Kathranis smiled up at the gryphoness.

“Of course, my Princess.”

Aquila hiccuped, and her eyes blazed as she seized his collar.

“Dangerous words, my elf,” she growled. “If we hadn’t just made a plan, I would take you right here and damn the consequences.”

She kissed his forehead, then shoved him toward Deyenidal.

“As it stands, I’ll meet up with you after dinner. Dee needs help with a similar ambush, so don’t worry if you don’t see Fordred for a while.”

Before he could say anything, Kathranis was pushed out of the closet, and the door was slammed closed behind him. He blinked, feeling slightly ruffled as the last vestiges of sunlight greeted him, along with a blinking gryphon and bemused familiar. Valan glanced at the closet, then back at Kathranis.

“So, did it… go well?”

Kathranis blinked once more, then nodded slowly. He brushed his hair back into place with his fingers, then set to straightening his armor.

“Yes,” he said slowly. “But as far as anyone is concerned, nothing happened here. Nothing at all.”

Valan snorted, but smiled and nodded.

“Not a word Shadowsong, at least until the castle hears you making my sister shriek like a-”

“Not a word!” Kathranis snapped.

Valan fell quiet, but his grin only grew. Kathranis huffed and began to walk away, with the gryphon falling in behind.

Good job cub, now you can finally have a proving story that everybody will ac-’

‘Not a word!’ Kathranis thought as hard as he could.

Even though he tried to play angry, he couldn’t shake the inner warmth he now felt, even as he was chased by the chuckles of his pair of companions.