• Published 22nd Oct 2020
  • 2,854 Views, 65 Comments

Realms of Magic: The Realm of the Gryphons - TheEighthDayofNight



An elf, Kathranis Shadowsong, is transported to the realm of Equus by wild magic. This story follows his explorations of the different races and civilizations a new world has to offer.

  • ...
7
 65
 2,854

Chapter 10

All of the gryphons rose, and on some instinct, Kathranis attempted to do the same. His leg, already well abused by a night of ill-use, shrieked in protest. Pain overpowered the unnatural nerves Kathranis felt, and he let out a strained gasp as he clutched at the limb. His balance wavered again, and he began to fall to the floor once again, but a strong, almost too strong pair of hands caught him. Kathranis once again found that he couldn’t breathe as he looked into the shining golden eyes of his rescuer.

“Careful friend,” Terran said, an almost fatherly smile on his beak.

Kathranis stared with wide eyes as the massive gryphon sat him back in his seat with all the gentleness of a butterfly. Two more sets of hands touched him as Terran pulled back slightly, and Kathranis could vaguely hear Aquila’s voice as she asked;

“Shadowsong? Are you alright? Talk to me.”

Kathranis finally blinked and managed to swallow, looking down to meet the gryphoness’ concerned gaze. He blinked blankly at her, trying hard to speak.

“I… I…”

In a rush, all of the dread, all the nerves and panic that had built up in his skull vanished, and a great pressure seemed to leave his shoulders. Kathranis let out a cough, holding his head as his vision swam.

“I… apologize. I- I don’t know what came over me.”

Terran chuckled, drawing Kathranis’ eyes back to him, though this time, the elf felt no sense of dread as he looked upon the gryphon king, merely nerves that were standard for this type of interaction. Nerves that quickly began to evaporate as the gryphon smiled brightly at him.

“That’s my doing I’m afraid,” Terran said. He tapped his crown. “This little thing is one of the greatest artifacts in the world, and it has dozens of spells packed into it. One of them does a little pass-through of your mind and soul, making sure your intents are genuine. It’s useful for sniffing out spies and assassins,” he chuckled. “But it’s also very off-putting, even to those with perfectly good character.”

Terran stuck out his hand, and Kathranis clasped his forearm.

“Lucky for us,” he continued, “you’re at least completely honest about your intentions, so I offer my sincerest welcome Shadowsong. For what you’ve done for my kingdom,” he glanced down at Aquila, “and for my family, my resources are yours to use. As far as I’m concerned, you and your people can live in the castle for the rest of your lives if you’d like.”

Their hands separated and Terran snorted, still smiling.

“But we’ll get to that. No need for any answers or nothin’ quite yet. Tonight is about celebration!”

He glanced back to his guards.

“Fetch some of the maids, most of the food at the feast wasn’t any good, and I know these scrawny little elves could use some more meat on their bones and mead warming their bellies.”

Terran nodded toward Fordred, who had reclined back into Deyenidal’s feathers.

“Especially that one. Little thing like that will die if she goes after him.”

Kathranis smiled, glancing toward Fordred’s face. The elf was painted a deep scarlet, and Deyenidal brushed a feather up and down his neck, grinning as he remained silent.

“Well my little friend? Would you like to bulk up for my sake?”

Fordred shuddered and looked to Kathranis for help, but the older elf smiled and shrugged.

“I cannot advise on this my friend. You seem to forget that I’m as devoted to my goddess as a priest. My loves are few and far between.”

Kathranis felt Aquila squirm in her seat for an instant, but he ignored the motion as her adjusting to get more comfortable. Fordred’s blush somewhat lessened as he looked up to Deyenidal.

“Respectfully… I would like to talk with you in private before giving you an answer. Is that alright?”

Deyenidal blinked in surprise at the sudden seriousness that overtook the wizard, but she nodded.

“Of course, but what is there to talk about? You are attracted to me, right?”

Fordred’s blush made a fast return.

“Of course I am, it’s just…”

He flashed another look toward Kathranis, begging for help. This time however, the elder elf knew what the wizard needed explained. Kathranis met Deyenidal’s concerned eyes with a smile.

“Don’t attribute this as any sort of dislike on Fordred’s part, it’s merely a warning we have been trained since we began our wanderings to distribute.” Kathranis motioned to Fordred. “As you are his first interest, he feels a great deal of pressure to quickly inform you that he will out live you by centuries.”

Terran nodded in understanding.

“My daughter mentioned that, but I was a bit skeptical, still I am in fact. You believe you are hundreds of years old, correct?”

He moved around Kathranis and tapped Valan on the shoulder.

“Up boy. I need to be next to Blademaster Shadowsong.”

Valan looked up at his father, a supreme nervousness in his eyes as he said one word.

“No.”

Terran blinked at the word, then without the slightest change in posture, he glanced down.

“Excuse you?”

Valan squirmed in his seat, but continued meeting his father’s eyes.

“I said no. Shadowsong accepted my life-debt on several terms, and since I have already met, or have plans to meet them, I am to be at his side at all times. I will not give up my seat.”

Terran’s beak formed into a stern frown, and he crossed his arms across his chest. Kathranis felt a trace of his nerves return, and was glad that the gryphon wasn’t staring him down.

“You would value your life-debt over the needs of your king? Over your clan-leader? Over your father?”

Valan gulped loudly, then nodded.

“I would. I won’t dishonor myself further, even if it means refusing your orders.”

Terran’s glare intensified, and Valan continued to squirm, but he didn’t budge from his seat. Pressure built in the air, then all at once vanished as Terran laughed and scooped his son up in a crushing hug, drawing a squawk from him.

“That’s my boy!” Terran bellowed. “Oh my beautiful son, it’s about damn time!”

He let the gryphon fall back into his chair, then scooped up Kathranis in the same manner, crushing his ribs in a hug. Kathranis resisted the urge to spit as feathers found their way into his mouth.

“And you,” Terran crowed, “thank you another time Blademaster! Damn access to the castle, I’ll give you my bedroom at this rate! You can sleep in the royal bed, wear the royal colors if you like!”

From amongst the fluff of the king, Kathranis heard a light tut of distaste.

“Husband, I have no words on how poor that offer is,” Scylla said. “And do put the Blademaster down. Over sixty years on the throne, and you still haven’t learned that hugging foreign dignitaries isn’t appropriate behavior.”

Terran snorted, his grip not loosening.

“Not with that attitude. I hug enough of them, then it’ll become popular, that’s for sure!”

Another tut left the queen’s beak, but she said no more, merely remained silent in displeasure. Terran continued hugging Kathranis for a moment, then groaned.

“Fine!”

He set a bewildered Kathranis back in his seat, and the elf finally got the chance to cough up the feather that had found its way into his mouth. Aquila covered her beak and giggled.

“Where do you think I get it?” she whispered. “Better I convert you than Dad does.”

Kathranis shot her an exasperated look, but Terran heard her words and let out a loud laugh.

“That’s my girl! Spread the tradition as far as possible!”

Aquila giggled again and rose from her seat, giving Terran a hug.

“Shadowsong is well on his way to becoming a convert-ee Daddy.” She threw a wink down to the elf. “Though he hasn’t made it easy. Poor thing doesn’t like physical contact.”

Terran’s eyes widened, and he slipped into the empty seat, sitting right at the edge, so close that his massive wings almost embraced Kathranis merely by sitting on his back.

“Now that won’t do my friend,” Terran said, holding Kathranis’ gaze. “Some of the best parts of Gryphonia are where my people are most physical.” He smiled and let out a chuckle. “And in truth, despite my wife’s protest, physicality is a large part of gryphon and pony culture. If you want to ally with either, you’ll want some level of comfort with touching.”

“And public nudity,” Aquila added as she moved to her mother’s side.

The older gryphoness glared at her daughter, but Aquila shrugged the look off. She smiled conspiratorially and extended a wing, and for the first time, though it was well-hidden, Kathranis saw Scylla smile. The happy motion vanished in an instant, obscured by feathers as the pare of she-gryphons turned around and whispered, their wings flapping out to form a privacy shield.

Kathranis looked back to Terran.

“She was joking about the nudity, right?”

Terran chuckled and shook his head.

“Nope. We’ve moved away from that quite a bit, so our guests always dress up, but it’s not uncommon to see minotaurs, zebras, and ponies naked in their home territories. In fact, we’re a bit odd because we wear clothes.” He scoffed and waved a hand. “But they don’t have to deal with the chill up here. When we were tribal and rutted like animals in the streets we generated enough heat, but now that we’ve cooled a bit, clothes have become necessary.”

“That said,” Terran continued. “You will be seen nude at some point, likely by everyone in this room.” He glanced over toward the huddled she-gryphons, then looked back to Kathranis. “Did Aquila give you the traditional bath?”

Kathranis chuckled and nodded.

“Despite my, and my brother’s protests, yes. Princess Aquila and her guards did give us baths. I think she would have broken my arm if I had tried any sterner a refusal.”

“Damn right I would have,” Aquila snorted as she pulled free of her mother.

She moved around the table and sat beside Deyenidal, who was still staring in confusion at Kathranis, though her eyes did occasionally dart down to Fordred, who she gripped in an almost protective, possessive fashion. While Aquila received another withering glare from Scylla, Terran merely chuckled at his daughter.

“That’s good to hear. Did you offer to take him to a proper bathhouse?”

Aquila nodded, but her smile lessened slightly.

“I did, but unfortunately, Shadowsong and his elves are truly foreign to our world, and as such have little idea about… well anything.”

Terran looked back to Kathranis, who shrugged, but nodded in agreement.

“I can’t deny that, but Princess Aquila has been very informative.”

He cast a glance her way, then tried not to blush when she shot him a wink. Kathranis coughed lightly and focused on Terran.

“Though it was only a short while, she has been nothing but helpful and friendly. She has my thanks, as do you for sending her to assist us in adapting.”

Terran scoffed.

“That matter is not even close to needing a thanks Blademaster. Aquila was insistent to take the task, and I trust her with any responsibility, especially one so important as this.”

Kathranis began to ask what he meant, but the sound of a bell tinkled in everyone’s ears, and Terran spun around to see Dranidal leading in a caravan of servants.

“Excellent, dinner has arrived!”

Scylla tutted again.

“The ball being thrown in the main hall was supposed to be dinner husband.”

Terran snorted dismissively and rose from his seat.

“That food is for the prudes and the backstabbers.”

“Some of those prudes are your most loyal supporters!” Scylla protested.

One of Terran’s golden eyes flicked momentarily backward toward Kathranis.

“I think that may soon change,” he said cryptically, his voice taking on a suddenly serious tone.

That seriousness vanished in an instant as the gryphon king clapped and rubbed his hands together with anticipation.

“Now I hope we don’t have any vegetarians here, because I ordered quite the smattering of meat.”

Dranidal cleared her throat lightly, drawing his eyes.

“Actually my king, Blademaster Shadowsong’s brother wished to bring a guest he met at the party, and refused to attend this separate dinner without her. I’m afraid he’s been rather difficult about it, and due to her… status, his guest has been as well.”

Kathranis clicked his tongue and sighed, rubbing his forehead in exasperation.

“I swear this is the Luskan incident all over again.”

Aquila snorted and hid her laughter behind a wing. Terran looked to Kathranis with a raised brow.

“Does your brother often make scenes?”

“My brother once fancied himself a bard,” Kathranis explained. “And so when he sees a pretty girl he fancies, he tries to woe her. Unfortunately, he isn’t half bad, and before we moved away from larger cities, he was quite… popular.”

Fordred snickered.

“Which is to say he got fleas more than once.”

The pair of elves chuckled at the inside joke, as did Aquila. Terran glanced between the three, then shrugged and looked toward Dranidal.

“Is it anyone I don’t trust?”

Dranidal frowned.

“She is included in the war council my king. She wishes to remain unannounced until she has a confirmed seat at the table.”

Terran let out a light groan.

“Of course she would be melodramatic.” He looked toward the servants, who were steadily setting the table, and filling every empty space with dishes, primarily different grilled and roasted game. He looked back toward Dranidal. “Princess Luna is welcome, but since she wasn’t expected, we didn’t make anything for her. If she gets offended that we’re having meat, tell her I don’t care. I’m a gryphon. I eat meat.”

“We don’t mind at all good king,” Luna spoke confidently as she walked into the room with Huron in tow.

Kathranis let out a sigh, drawing his brother’s eyes.

‘Really?’ he handcanted. ‘You refused a summons from the king whose kingdom we are guests in?’

Huron smiled sheepishly.

‘Apologies Blademaster, I acted upon Princess Luna’s suggestion. We were talking, and rejecting the invitation meant we could keep going.’

Terran frowned at the alicorn.

“How did you get back here?”

Luna smiled.

“We grew tired of waiting, so we thought we’d come see what thine answer was in person.”

‘Should I be worried that a second one of my elves is being seduced so quickly?’ Kathranis signed.

Luna bowed and splayed her wings out.

“We art honored to accept thine invitation King Terran,” she flashed a grin up at the gryphon, “and we have no issue with meat. We art partially thestral after all.”

‘…maybe.’

Kathranis closed his eyes and let out a silent groan at the ceiling. Of course Huron had to make it more complex.

‘Don’t muck up our relations with the ponies,’ Kathranis signed. ‘If Princess Luna ends up hating me because you couldn’t keep it in your pants, I am going to banish you to live in a tree stump.’

The threat was mostly in play, but Huron took the first part of it very seriously.

‘I won’t mess this up Blademaster, and in truth, this isn’t about sex. She’s beautiful, yes, and I am very much attracted to her, but…’ His face flushed slightly. ‘She’s also an amazing listener. I could talk to her for days and still find more to say.’

Kathranis let out a sigh.

‘I can attest to that; she was fun to talk to. Just be as professional and kind as you can alright? And learn something about her while you’re at it. She seemed to like asking questions, but I made sure the exchange was equivalent. She should be your friend, not a rock you talk to.’

Huron signed a word of agreement as Terran let out another sigh.

“Then you are welcome Princess. Please, take a seat.”

The alicorn straightened, her smile almost smug. Her eyes drifted over to Kathranis for a moment, but she gave him only a small respectful nod before making her way around the table to the only two seats that were side by side. Huron followed her, sitting next to Deyenidal. Terran ran a hand down his face, then, with a small huff, turned around and smiled.

“Well, I can’t say this is what I expected, but I am glad we are gathered. Let’s eat, and drink tonight, for tomorrow dawns on a world changed by our new friends!”

Kathranis found a mug being pressed into his hands by one of the silent, ever-moving gryphon servants, and all the gryphons immediately raised their mugs in toast. Huron, Fordred, Kathranis and Luna were only a second behind, then the feast began.

The gryphons moved in two fashions. One group, led by Scylla, picked careful selections from all the platters, making everything into nice, orderly sections on their plates. Huron, and Luna were part of this group. The other group, spearheaded by Terran, was loud and fast, snatching up their favorite pieces and stacking them in disorganized piles on their plates. As soon as the towering heights of food began to tilt, the gryphons stopped stacking and began eating. Two gryphons fell into this group; Aquila and Terran, though Kathranis could visibly tell that two more wanted to join in the feral display. Deyenidal was forced to be careful, as she was still holding Fordred on her lap, while Valan was watching Kathranis carefully, waiting for him to eat first.

The elf cast a glance back at the young gryphon.

“What’s wrong good Prince?”

“I am your servant under my life-debt,” Valan said, his eyes flicking enviously towards his sister, who tore a rabbit in two with a single chomp of her beak. “You eat before me.”

Kathranis frowned.

“And what if I say that you are free to eat as you please, even before me? Will that dishonor you?”

Valan shook his head.

“No. The only way I can be dishonored is if the debt is canceled without fulfillment. You are within your rights to refuse any other rule you see fit, with one or two exceptions.”

Kathranis motioned the gryphon forward.

“Eat then. You are young, you probably need it more anyway.”

Valan smiled, chirping gratefully before diving in. Kathranis made sure to keep his hands well clear of the gryphon, taking his selections from dishes far away from Valan’s sharp talons. Terran glanced up and slurped down what Kathranis assumed was squirrel.

“You don’t like the terms of the life-debt?”

Kathranis frowned, thinking his words through carefully. Risking offending Aquila and Valan was one thing, something he thought he avoided rather succinctly. Offending Terran on the other hand, no matter how little the insult, was a mistake he couldn’t afford to make. Not as Blademaster.

“In all honesty, no. I don’t like debts of any kind, and would rather forgive and befriend rather than hold somebody’s honor hostage at point of debt.” He picked up two skewers of beef and set them on his plate, followed by a rabbit haunch. “That being said, Princess Aquila and Prince Valan explained the necessity of the debt, and it’s importance, so I accepted it. I will not see Prince Valan’s life ruined on my account, especially not out of words said in youthful arrogance. If, at any point, there is a way offered to forgive the debt without consequence, then I will accept it. It is my way.”

“Interesting,” Terran mumbled. His golden eyes flicked up from his plate. “But in your forgiveness and friendship, you would still keep an eye on one who offended, or owed you, yes?”

Kathranis smiled and nodded.

“Indeed. I’d extend the olive branch so often that I would beat my offender into friendship through annoyance alone.”

“Yet you are a fearsome warrior,” Terran countered. “What of the humans you slew?”

Kathranis shrugged and took a bite from the rabbit haunch.

“They attacked me with intent to kill. Just because I show preference for personal forgiveness, doesn’t mean I am unwilling to draw swords. Killing in self-defense is always justified, and I don’t regret the lives I’ve taken, for I have not yet killed any who haven’t deserved it. It is my hope that that never changes.”

Terran smiled at the answer.

“Well said Blademaster. Would that we were all so lucky.”

He dug back into his food, and Kathranis spared a glance toward Aquila. The gryphoness beamed at him, her cheeks stuffed with food. Kathranis snorted in amusement and began settling into his own dish.

“We have a query Blademaster,” Luna said as he began working on the rabbit haunch, a frown settled on her muzzle. “Thou mentioned being a devotee of nature, yet thou eat meat. Isn’t that antithetical to thine beliefs?”

Kathranis swallowed and smiled at the alicorn.

“Not at all Princess. Do we fault a wolf for eating a rabbit? Do we fault the eagle for eating a fish? I know well that the trees are alive, should we pursue the birds for making nests of their branches?”

He glanced around at the spread on the table.

“Not intending any offense to King Terran, but I do think feasts are quite wasteful, and I must express a sliver of distaste if any food is left uneaten or is subjected to gluttony, but then again, other creatures benefit from the waste produced. Flies consume the waste, and birds eat the flies. It is all cyclical.”

His eyes returned to meet Luna’s.

“As long as the intent is not to consume for the sake of consumption, it is natural. I would draw the line if, say, those beautiful forests Princess Aquila, Prince Valan, Zefuris and I passed through on our way here were destroyed for something wasteful, like an overnight expansion of industry. Then I might have issue.”

He shrugged.

“But then again, industry is not altogether evil, when handled correctly. If you cut down a tree to feed an engine, I only ask that the lumberman try to pick out the sickly, and dying trees, and then replant two when they leave. It is about balance, about growing the wilds and the natural, while maintaining the beauties that civilization creates.”

Kathranis chuckled.

“If the argument is that nature is all, then I wouldn’t be very welcome at anybody’s table. I would be at war eternal with anyone who wanted to so much as build a wooden shack. No, Lady Sylvanus recognizes that civilization has as much a right to exist as millennia old forests. She only tasks her followers to preserve balance between the two, to ensure that nature’s beauty is not stomped beneath the progression of civilization.”

Realizing he had gone on a tangent again, he flushed red and smiled at his plate.

“Apologies Princess. I’m rambling again.”

“Not at all,” Aquila and Luna said in unison.

The pair shot looks toward each other, with Aquila’s being a white-hot glare. The gryphoness quickly looked toward Kathranis again.

“Lady Sylvanus sounds fascinating Shadowsong. Perhaps tomorrow you could tell me more about her?”

Kathranis felt his heart skip a beat with excitement, and he smiled at the gryphoness.

“Of course Princess. You are more than welcome to view my morning prayers if you wish. They are not lengthy, I promise you.”

Aquila smiled.

“I’d like that.”

She sat back in her seat with a smug grin, and side-eyed Luna, who rolled her eyes and looked to Huron, taking up a quiet conversation with the elf.

Kathranis dug into his food, managing to clear a quarter of the plate when a loud throat clearing brought his eyes upward. Deyenidal fixed him with a concerned look, but she looked to Terran when she spoke.

“My king, I know it is not my place to speak at your table, but I have a question for Master Shadowsong.”

Terran stopped mid-bite, then set down the rib he had been prepared to bite in half.

“Deyenidal, you know full well that I see you as one of my own. You have been by Aquila’s side for so long, nearly every memory I share with her included you and your sister. You may speak your mind just as much as she can, unless my daughter suddenly hates you for some unknown reason.”

Aquila snorted and threw a wing around Deyenidal.

“You know me Dad, I fall victim to my feminine whiles daily, and today, I can’t even bear to look at the gryphon I call shield-sister.”

She turned her nose up in faux-disgust and looked away from Deyenidal, who blushed and playfully shoved the wing away.

“Respectfully Princess, shut it.”

Aquila giggled and shoved her back, then resumed her meal. Deyenidal still looked to Terran for permission, however, and the king rolled his eyes and motioned to Kathranis.

“Well spit it out!”

Kathranis folded his hands in his lap, sitting back in his chair so that his attention was fully devoted to the question that was sparking such nervousness in the so-far outspoken gryphoness.

Deyenidal glanced down at Fordred, then let out a small sigh and met Kathranis’ eyes.

“Fordred mentioned having a private talk, and you mentioned a warning. What was it?” Her eyes flashed with anxiousness. “I haven’t offended you in some way, have I? If I need to fulfill my own life-debt…”

She fell silent as Kathranis’ mouth fell into a scowl. Irritation raced across his mind at the thought of accepting another life-debt, especially over something so petty. He vaguely wondered if the system was somewhat abused for the gryphons. That thought fled under his rumbling anger, however. The noise of the table slowly died as the elf sat up slowly, staring the gryphon down.

“There will be no more life-debts with me,” he growled, his eyes looking away to meet everyone’s gazes. “I don’t like them. I don’t want them. I have already made that perfectly clear, but I will make it clear again. I don’t want any life-debts owed to me. I accepted Prince Valan’s only because he had some merit about his debt, and because he faced serious punishment if his debt was refused. If anything, I accepted his debt as a favor to him, a favor I hope to be repaid for with friendship.”

His eyes settled back on Deyenidal.

“Also, I am not some thin-skinned wretch who balks and whimpers at every insult. I have no doubt that I have stupidly, blindly stumbled my way through more than one engagement where I have said something unintentionally offensive, but I have been met by nothing but understanding and forgiveness. Until my ignorance of your customs is alleviated, I will take no offenses, because we are all learning about one another, and everyone seems to forget that I, and my people, are guests under King Terran’s roof. I have no right to take offense when I eat at somebody else’s table without pay.”

Kathranis let out a breath and sat back again, letting his irritation cool. He looked to Terran.

“I apologize for speaking angry words at your feast.”

Terran smiled and clapped Kathranis on the shoulder.

“No need Blademaster. I’d say the same thing, especially to the young ones.” He shot a look toward Deyenidal. “We drill into them that honor is all, so much so that they get to caught up in it sometimes.”

He motioned to the gryphoness.

“Now come on, speak your question. I’m beginning to feel offense that it’s taking this long, especially since I like you because you speak your mind. Don’t let me down now.”

Deyenidal twitched nervously.

“Of course not my king,” she gasped. Her eyes flicked to Kathranis. “Master Shadowsong, what was the warning you spoke of?”

Kathranis took a deep breath, then exhaled slowly.

“Before I answer, let me ask you this Deyenidal, do you truly care for Fordred?”

The large gryphoness blushed, glancing down to the wizard.

“I… well…that’s a bit of a private question.”

“Which is why he wanted to speak to you in private,” Kathranis said. “But, since you thought entering yourself into a life-debt was worth an answer, I will assume that you do care for him.”

“With that in mind,” he continued, “the warning we, as elves, issue is thus. He will outlive you, and not by a small margin.” Kathranis motioned to Huron, and then himself. “In fact, unless we are killed, we will all outlive everyone in this room. We are likely already the oldest ones here.”

Terran glanced at him with curiosity plastered on his face.

“Really? And how do you think that? In my eyes you look to be the same age as Aquila, perhaps a year or two older.”

Kathranis chuckled.

“Try a century older good king. I am one-hundred and thirty-eight years old.” He nodded to Fordred. “He is our youngest elf at one-hundred and twelve, while my brother,” he motioned to Huron, “is one of the oldest at one-hundred and forty-two. He was the fourth eldest brother in my family.”

“Was?” Terran asked.

Kathranis’ shoulders slumped.

“That is a dark story good king, one I do not wish to tell. Suffice to say that Huron is now considered old in our merry little band.”

The gryphon king nodded in understanding.

“Forget I mentioned it, but by Harmony…”

He looked between the three elves, settling on Kathranis.

“That can’t be natural, can it? Do you have some artifact that keeps you alive and youthful?”

Kathranis spread his hands, and smiled, the motion helping to drive away the dark thoughts that arose at the mere mention of his lost family.

“I’m afraid not, we merely mature slower, and then relish in our youth for the majority of our lives.”

His eyes settled on Deyenidal.

“But while it is nice to be so long-lived, that comes with caveats, namely, we often… discourage our kind from becoming involved with other species that are not so long-lived. Fordred will outlive you by hundreds of years, is already likely a century or more your elder. The fact that we mature slower helps close the gap, but I have been a practiced warrior for nearly ninety years, and I can remember as far back as one-hundred and ten.”

He looked to Fordred.

“Fordred was a late-starter, but he has seen much in his time. We all have.”

Deyenidal looked down to the elf, who smiled nervously up.

“And you wanted to tell me so soon?”

Fordred nodded.

“If it’s any consolation, it’s because I do… care about you a great deal already. I may outlive you, but that doesn’t mean I’ll ever forget, or stop caring for you.”

Deyenidal chewed on the information silently for a moment, then let out a small sigh and nuzzled Fordred’s head.

“We will talk more in private my little friend, but I am not… completely uncomfortable with what I learned.”

Fordred grinned at the news, and he wiggled slightly, settling back into her embrace. The motion seemed to make Deyenidal happier, and she relaxed once more, rocking slightly as she held the diminutive elf. Kathranis watched the pair with a smile, and the faintest touch of jealousy, and emotion that was quickly squashed. He already had a great love, and even if he didn’t, he had the love of his brother, and that of his brethren. Fordred deserved somebody special in his life, even if Kathranis did believe the relationship was a bit rushed.

Still, if the elvish wizard found happiness, Kathranis would celebrate it. It was a good win, and he hoped that it would bring his people closer to the gryphons. He could already see a good future with the honorable people. Terran raised another toast, and Kathranis found himself raising his glass enthusiastically.