• Published 24th Aug 2020
  • 808 Views, 20 Comments

In a Chang(el)ing World - Kaipony



The attack on Canterlot robbed Keen Edge of his best friend. Recruited into a special task force by his superior, Faithful Watch, he relished hunting down changelings. But after their Reformation, how can any of them accept this new world?

  • ...
3
 20
 808

Got On a Train in Friscolt

A dull brass key slid into a simple lock and, with a twist, it clicked open. The plain oak door rattled on its squeaky hinges, swinging so far as to clatter against an unadorned stone wall.

“Ugh. I thought that shift would never end.” The heavy thud and clank of armored barding hitting the bare floor punctuated an earth pony stallion’s exhausted sigh as he lurched into the room and dropped his equipment in a corner. He stripped off his underclothing, peeling the damp pieces from his sweaty caramel hide and blond mane, and likewise deposited them in a damp pile next to his armor.

A second stallion followed close behind and quietly shut the door before moving to the opposite end of the room. He waved a hoof in front of his nostrils. “Keen Edge, you stink.”

The second stallion, an amber unicorn with a sweat-matted sienna mane, carefully removed his armor and padding. His movements were slower and more precise, setting the protective suit upon a skeletal pony mannequin and his uniform in a small basket instead of on the floor.

The shared barracks room was cozy and spartan, but well-lit from the sunlight filtering in through a large window. Identical beds sat at opposite ends next to identical nightstands. Mirror-image lockers lay at the end of each bed and twin desks with conjoined dressers squatted together side-by-side along the wall, bisected by the window. A small lamp sat on each nightstand. The only differentiating feature was the state of each bed: one was immaculately made while the other resembled a wadded up scroll.

Keen Edge tossed his head and nickered. “Well, not all of us get to be the lucky Stalwart Spirit who got to stand post in the shade for the last six hours.” Keen grabbed a towel from a rod attached to his dresser and dabbed sweat from his face. “What I’d like to know is why the Captain couldn’t have his wedding in the spring or fall.”

Stalwart Spirit shrugged. “If they ever learn who made those threats against the city, I’m sure somepony will add ‘a general lack of consideration’ to their list of crimes.”

“The real crime is having to pull extra duty during the reception tonight.” Keen snorted, leaning against a wall. “There won’t be a single piece of cake left by the time the next team comes to relieve us.” He pointed an accusing hoof at the windows and the world beyond the glass pane. “And that’s if they’re on time.”

Stalwart pulled a washcloth from off his towel rack and fired it off with a burst of telekinesis, aiming for Keen’s head. His aim was true, the target yelping upon impact. “Just go take a shower before you sit on anything.”

Keen chuckled and pulled the cloth off his face. He opened the small locker at the end of his bed and selected a half-melted bar of soap. Keen took two steps towards the door when he stopped.

“Hey, Stal.” His ears twitched and swiveled toward the window. “You hear that?”

“No,” Stal snorted. “But I can still smell you.”

“Shh.” Keen pawed at the air. “I’m serious.” He approached the window as Stalwart grew silent, the unicorn’s jovial demeanor hardening into concern. Keen scanned the castle grounds through the window.

The courtyard below was bright and cheerful, with wedding decorations tied to every pillar and lamp post. Beyond the courtyard was the low wall and portcullis that separated the barracks and drilling grounds from the remainder of the city. The streets and flagpoles wore similar decorations, and storefronts all over were displaying wedding-themed services and merchandise. All that stood as out of place was the slight color distortion caused by a shimmering shield that hovered overhead, enveloping Canterlot in a protective bubble.

Keen squinted at the shield’s peak, straining to make out a cluster of dark figures that flitted about the spell’s perimeter.

Suddenly, one of the figures dove and slammed into the bubble. It rebounded, but only paused long enough to reposition itself before diving again. Then another followed suit. And another. Within seconds, the sky over Canterlot was teeming with distant, vaguely equine shapes. All single-mindedly focused on a task that abruptly came to horrifying fruition.

A sound like shattering crystal rent the air and Keen backpedaled, almost tripping over his hooves. The shattering noise bled off as pure, undistorted sunlight rained down upon the courtyard, alongside black, buzzing creatures that trailed emerald fire as they plummeted into the city.

Keen Edge was frozen in place, not fully comprehending what was taking place in front of him when a black object trailing the same green fire blazed past the window. The pane shattered with its passage. Keen jerked his head away and lurched backward, falling to the floor and shielding his eyes with a foreleg. Just as quickly as the fiery creature appeared, it was gone.

Keen twisted around and started to rise. “Back to the cathedral!” he shouted to Stalwart, scrambling back to his hooves. “We’re under attack!”

Stalwart did not question his friend’s declaration. The unicorn moved to grab his neatly arranged armor, but Keen Edge pulled him away. “Our armor,” Stal protested.

“No time,” Keen huffed. “Grab your spear and let’s go.”

Stal hesitated for a second, glancing back at his polished steel plating, but Keen was already out the door and in the adjoining hallway. Stal grunted and followed his partner. Together, the pair hoisted their weapons and galloped down the hall of their barracks. Shouts of surprise and alarm echoed with their hoof steps as other guards took notice of the attack. The two stallions reached the end of the hallway and lowered their shoulders, charging forward. They hit the double-doors at full speed and burst into a world gone mad.

The sky was thick with the invaders. On translucent wings, they zipped, dove, and flitted around the spires and rooftops of Canterlot, and through the streets. A single one paused long enough for Keen Edge and Stalwart Spirit to get a good look. They recoiled at the sight, and then their jaws dropped when a vortex of emerald fire consumed the black thing. When the flames receded, in its place, stood a pony. A normal-looking pony, except for the predatory grin on its face, highlighted by a greedy glint in its eyes. Then, the changed pony dashed off down the slope past the portcullis that led into the city and disappeared into an alleyway.

“Wh-What was that?” Stal stammered, his breath coming in agitated gulps as he craned his neck to follow a flight of four of the creatures as they passed overhead.

“An invader,” Keen Edge stated in a growl. He urged his partner forward. “Come on.” Together, they leaped into the street and galloped after the changed pony that had disappeared into the alley. They waved around several other guards who were racing to their posts and barreled past the courtyard exit. When they turned the alley corner, there was nopony, altered or otherwise, to be found.

“Where did it go?” Stal wondered aloud as the pair searched the trash cans and sewer drains. Finding nothing, they moved through the alley to the next avenue, heading towards the cathedral in the distance where the royal wedding was taking place. There were many more of the things hovering around its spires than there were in the streets. Their progress remained unimpeded as they cantered onto the sidewalk near a flower boutique.

Keen Edge pointed his spear at a group of three of the invading creatures down the road. “Over there!” He and Stalwart accelerated into a full gallop. The trio of creatures spotted the stallions and leaped into the sky, joining a stream of a dozen more winging their way towards the castle.

“How many of them are there?” Keen asked, skidding to a halt and glancing alarmedly at Stal. “It’s like a swarm!” He looked up to where the bubble shield used to be, the sky now dominated by black, menacing creatures hovering high overhead. A pair of terrified cries rang out above the buzzing drone of the things in the sky. Keen and Stal took off in the direction of the noise and turned left at the next intersection.

“Look there,” Stalwart announced. A pair of mares clutched each other tightly as they backed away from a curbside fruit stand while two identical mares, their eyes glowing green, advanced upon them with hungry smiles. Stal readied his spear and immediately dashed forward.

Keen Edge gripped his spear tightly between his teeth and started toward his friend when a sudden tightness clenched around his neck and jerked his head backward. The stallion opened his mouth, dropping his weapon, as he tried to gulp down a gasp of air. Reflexively kicking out behind him, his hind legs connected with something dense that yielded a juicy crack, like a walnut filled with yolk. A hissing shriek stabbed his eardrums, and the vice grip around his neck tightened. Then, one of the creatures tackled him from the side. All three went down and rolled across the cobblestone street. Keen twisted and thrashed, but the grip around his neck was causing his movements to slow and his vision to go black. He rolled again and felt something small and hard wriggle beneath him as the thing that had tackled him crouched upon his chest.

It was like a pony, except it was black with a dense, shiny hide. Green wings with membranes like an insect buzzed, and the same emerald fire the things had trailed when they fell like rain flashed in its monochromatic eyes. Keen struggled as the thing atop him hissed, baring long fangs. Panic welled up in his eyes as the thing reared back to strike his throat. With a desperate heave, the stallion threw all his weight to the left as the fangs darted downward.

The black pony-thing chattered as it tumbled off of Keen’s chest, its fangs glancing off the street stones. It rubbed its jaw, dropping into a crouch as the stallion struggled to his hooves. The one on his back still held him in a death grip. The thing on the street tensed and lunged, only to be bucked squarely in the face by a large pair of hind legs. The creature soared onto a walking path between two shops and bounced into the shadows.

Stalwart immediately pivoted and pried the thing from Keen’s neck, cracking the creature’s head against the road twice, leaving it unconscious.

“Took you long enough,” Keen gasped, catching his breath. Stalwart grunted as Keen tenderly rubbed the reddened ring around his throat. Once Keen found his hooves, he glanced back to where the doppelgängers had menaced the two mares. He saw two black bodies lying on the cobblestone. The frightened mares had left in a hurry.

“They’re inside with the doors and windows locked,” Stal explained, noting the worry on Keen’s face. “You okay?”

Keen coughed and nodded. “I’ll hold. We need to get to the wedding and make sure the guests are secure.” As he turned, Stalwart placed a hoof on his shoulder, stopping him.

“No. We should look for more of those things on the streets. Make sure the civilians are indoors and safe.”

Keen Edge swept his hoof around, gesturing to the vacant city streets around them. “The walls are covered. Most everypony is already indoors.” Stalwart narrowed his eyes, unconvinced. “Look, the roads are empty. If anything, they’ll need backup at the wedding to help secure the royal guests. Let’s go.” Keen tore off down the street. After a moment’s hesitation, Stalwart snorted in frustration before racing to catch up.

They made it another block when something whistled in the sky behind them. Keen Edge stopped and turned in time to witness another enflamed creature barrelling straight for them. He reached for Stal, but his friend had already passed him by and was near to the next intersection. He did not see the looming threat.

“Watch out!” Keen yelled and ducked as the emerald comet passed over him. He looked up in time to see Stalwart stop and turn. The unicorn saw the incoming creature and planted the butt of his spear into a seam in the cobblestone street, leaning forward into the weapon to brace himself for the impact.

Stalwart yelled as the creature reached him. It swerved at the last moment and glanced off the tip of the spear, careening to the side. The thing inside the emerald blaze screeched and slammed into a storefront, smashing through the window and sending green flames licking up the sides of the doorframe. Simultaneously, Keen and Stal glanced up at the sign over the shop door: “Flash Point’s Fine Alchemical Imports.”

Their eyes met for a heartbeat, and then the storefront lit up in a bright flash of rainbow-tinted light. The street vanished in the glare, and Keen had a second to witness Stal’s body enveloped by the prismatic flames. He opened his mouth to shout his friend’s name, but the pressure wave from the blast bowled him over and ripped the air from his lungs. A great, cracking noise tore through the smoke-filled air, and Keen rolled over, tilting his head back. The edifice of the store’s second story titled precariously, its base having been torn out from underneath.

Keen crawled forward as quickly as his shaking legs would let him, but the wall of smoking stone and plaster leaned over more and more until it wrenched from and crashed into the street below. Right where he had last seen Stalwart standing. His eyes burned. Every breath was a drag of a razor against his esophagus. He couldn’t shake the ringing from his ears. Keen pulled himself up to a standing position and stumbled forward, blood seeping from his nostrils.

“Stal?” he called out. Then again, louder. “Stal! Hang on, I’m―” Something in the distance, off in the direction of the cathedral, boomed.

A wave of pink, etheric energy swept over rooftops and through the streets, washing over Keen’s body like a warm gust of wind. For a second, he felt his fears and pains drain from his body. His muscles relaxed, and the fearful grimace on his face faded. Then, the wave was gone, sending a horde of squealing black creatures tumbling out toward the horizon and beyond with its fading aura.

Keen Edge shook his head as the gravity of the situation came crashing back down. The dust, disturbed by the passing magical wave, cleared away enough for him to see most of the second story lying in a heap of rubble in the street. His friend had vanished.

Keen tossed aside his spear and dug into the mess, throwing aside everything that was not his friend. He scrambled through the rubble, frantically kicking away shattered wooden fragments, ragged clumps of masonry, and burnt merchandise. There was no sign of the creature that had caused the explosion.

As he shoved debris away, Keen kept muttering to himself, “It’s okay. You’re okay. It’s going to be okay. Just let me...” Shoving his snout under a still burning timber frame, he levered himself up and let the beam fall away to the side. He stopped when he found it, a dirty yellow patch of hide sticking out from under a large section of intact wall.

His pupils shrank to pinpricks. He dug faster, burrowing past the fractured remains of a curio cabinet, and Stalwart’s head emerged. “Nonononono...” Keen shoved aside everything he could, but only his friend’s head and chest were free.

“Help!” he yelled. Nothing. He turned back to his friend. “You’re okay, Stal. You’re okay. I’ll get you out, alright?” He dug with his hooves. He pushed with his head and lifted away bits and pieces with his teeth. When he reached the heavy, intact section of the store wall, Keen pushed and pulled. He grit his teeth, widened his stance, and strained against the mountain of bricks and mortar blanketing Stalwart. The muscles in his legs and back screamed in protest, but he ignored them and kept going. A hot pain roared from his throat and out his mouth, but he could not move the whole thing in his condition.

“Help!” he shouted to the streets, frustrated, scared, and panting from the exertion. “M-My friend, he’s hurt!” He shouted to the skies, driving his voice hoarse in the hopes that they would shine down some miracle and make everything right again. Nothing. He dropped down and dug pottery and wood from out around his friend’s head and sat down.

Leaning over, Keen pressed an ear to Stalwart’s open mouth. Nothing. After delicately brushing aside a sticky lock of mane from his friend’s eyes, Keen’s breath caught in his throat. Stalwart’s eyes were open, but unfocused, glossy. Unblinking.

Keen grit his teeth and shook his head, blinking away the dirt that had settled into his eyes as his vision grew blurry. Sniffling, he shook his friend, but there was no response. Keen brushed his hoof through Stalwart’s mane, pulling him close as he began to tremble uncontrollably.

“Did you see that wave of magic, Stal? It blasted those bugs away. That means everything will be okay. The Princesses―” he hiccuped, nuzzling into Stalwart’s neck, “T-The Princesses’ll patch you up, okay?”

His tears fell, mixing with the bloody sludge that crawled through cracks in the cobblestone and slowly seeped away into the ground. Nothing.