• Published 29th Oct 2019
  • 7,695 Views, 436 Comments

Aftermath Of The Formal - Shimmeringsun



Just when Sunset Shimmer finds herself in her darkest days she is able to find the light through all of those who love her.

  • ...
20
 436
 7,695

Chapter 1: The Aftermath (updated)

It was the night of the Fall Formal. Where Sunset Shimmer’s life had gotten out of control and she fell hard.

After being blasted by the Elements of Harmony, all she felt was the pain. The pain she’d caused everyone in the human world through bullying her fellow students, the pain she caused back in Equestria, hurting the one pony she looked up to most, she felt everything.

She felt broken. Her body, her head, everything was aching. She wished... she wished she just died in that crater. That’s where she belonged.

Why did Twilight pull her out? Why did she offer her friendship? She was watching Twilight and her friends from afar, she has never felt so alone... watching them all together, was that what she wanted? Did she want friendship with these people? Do they want her?

She was then pulled away from her thoughts when she saw Vice Principal Luna coming up to her with a shovel in her hand handing it to her

Despite the current situation, Sunset found couldn’t read her emotions. Was Luna angry at her, was she disappointed? Worried? Concerned even?

She couldn’t tell... Luna was hiding it very well. She didn’t say anything to Sunset, she just handed her the shovel, pointed to the destroyed school entrance, and headed back inside.

To be honest, in spite of her past actions, Luna and Sunset usually maintained an amicable relationship. Unless the pair was in a heated debate when Sunset’s misdeeds were seen, Sunset would often help the vice principal in setting up previous school dances. Thus seeing her so quiet and unreadable, in some ways, that hurt Sunset more than the Elements of Harmony had.


As Twilight left through the portal, the girls didn’t know what to do from there. Should they approach Sunset? Could they even forgive her for what she had done? Twilight wanted them to offer their friendship to Sunset, but could they.

“Um, should we go over and help?” Fluttershy was the first to ask about what the girls should do.

“Are we even sure we want to? I know we promised Twilight, but isn’t asking a bit much,” questioned Rainbow, still wary of the former She-Demon.

“Regardless of our personal feelings, we made a promise to Twilight. Thus, it’s only fair we at least offer Sunset a helping hand,” said Rarity firmly to the others who nodded.

All five girls made their way over to Sunset which made the fiery-haired girl jump away like a frightened deer. Shaking, she took several panicked steps away from the group.

“Please, just stay away,” Sunset warned, though to the others it sounded more like she was begging.

“Sunset, Darling... we have an offer we would like to make you.”

“D-D-don’t come near me! You d-don’t w-want me.” She put her hands out to stop them.

“Sunset please, we just want to be your friends.” Pinkie tried to approach her, only for Sunset to step back further.

“I... don’t want t-to hurt you! I-I didn’t mean it...”

The girls gave each other a look of concern, they’d never seen Sunset like this before. Was this the real Sunset Shimmer? Was the past three years all a facade?

Regardless of what was true and what wasn’t, they had to be very careful with this.

“Sugarcube. We want ta’ help ya. Will ya let us?” Applejack said softly after trying to approach Sunset and placing an arm on her shoulder which only made her back away, almost falling over her own feet.

“Y-you don’t want to help me, I-I’m a monster.” Sunset’s voice sounded about ready to break.

She kept cowering away from the girls like they were going to hurt her. It was all getting to be too much for Sunset. After everything she’d done to them, she doesn't deserve to be near them again. So, without another word, she turned and ran away from them as fast as she could.

“Sunset!” All the girls shouted at once.

“This is bad, we should get the Principals,” said Pinkie Pie, no longer her normal bubbly self, too worried about seeing in such a distraught state.

“Me and ‘Shy will head to the office; you girls go look for Sunset,” Rainbow said as she started to run inside of the school with Fluttershy following after while the others started to follow after Sunset.


Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna were held up in the office trying to decide what to do with Sunset along with trying to phone a construction crew to start rebuilding by Monday morning.

Celestia was on the phone dealing with it, after answering a few calls from some concerned parents, sighed while sitting at her desk, Luna in front of her.

The sisters had no idea how to deal with this situation… they obviously couldn’t tell anyone what happened tonight so they had to make up some kind of excuses to get the construction crew out, to say nothing of what they’d tell the parents of the other students.

Most concerning was the potential fall out. If they weren't careful, Sunset could get taken away, not to mention the possible legal action they could face. It was all becoming a bit much for them to deal with.

“This is such a mess! What are we going to do? Do we expel Sunset? What happens if we keep her here? Would she cause more damage? Not to mention this is going to cost us a fortune to fix! We’ll certainly need to take money from the school funds...” said Celestia, slowly closing her eyes to calm her mind as the stress as starting to get to her.

Luna remained quiet, blocking out what Celestia was ranting about as she kept thinking about was how Sunset looked when she approached her. The once confident and arrogant girl looked completely shattered and it didn’t sit with Luna very well.

Regardless, for now, she had other matters to worry about and finally tuned back into her sister’s continued concerns.

“Well, regarding the school itself I tasked Sunset, Snips, and Snails to clean as much as they can at the front entrance. Hopefully, they can at least reduce the workload and perhaps lighten the financial load. However, I’m still worried about Sunset’s mental state. When I went over to her, I noticed this look in her eyes I’ve never seen her look like that before... she look completely broken, shattered almost.”

Luna paused as her mind drifted back, “It reminded me of what happened back when we were teenagers...” Said Luna with so much concern in her voice.

She couldn’t stop wondering what had compelled Sunset to do such a thing and more why she was so concerned about it. Should she reach out to Sunset? Does the young girl need help? And if so, how would she approach her? She tried to get Sunset to talk once before and that ended up in a heated argument.

The comment Luna made Celestia gasp. She felt a little bit guilty when Luna brought up their past... the sisters still felt hurt by it but wanted to move on and Celestia wanted to be there more for Luna. Celestia changed the way she once was with her sister and now did everything she can to be there for her.

“I’m sorry Lulu...I know you don’t like to be reminded of the past.” reaching out for Luna’s hand over her desk.

“Tia, it’s okay.” she spoke softly. “I’m over it now. But, if Sunset is going through what I did, then what she needs is support, not more punishment. As such, I don’t think it’ll be wise to expel her, sister.”

“...but, what if this is all an act she’s putting on? By the time Monday comes, what happens if she’s back to her normal self while in your office getting in trouble for her yet again bullying other students?” Celestia questioned, still unsure what to think.

Celestia had always let Luna deal with Sunset since that was one of her roles as Vice Principal. More importantly, Luna knew what was best for Sunset.

From day one, Celestia could tell that Sunset preferred Luna over her and even now she wasn’t sure why. Every time they bumped into each other, Sunset avoided eye contact at all costs, seemingly afraid to simply look her in the eye. Even when Sunset did go to her, it was only when necessary, otherwise, she always went to Luna.

“I’m willing to take that chance. I’m not ready to give up on her. She may be difficult to deal and she has done many horrible things but expelling her will only worsen the situation. She needs help, someone to guide her and show her the right path. You heard Twilight, Sunset knows nothing about friendship, she needs to be cared for, otherwise, I fear what may become of her.”

Celestia nodded at that. It was becoming clear that Luna was all but begging Celestia not to give Sunset a second chance, just like Luna had been given.

“I suppose you're right sister. However, She has a long way to prove to us that she’s willing to change. I just hope she has it in her.”

“...thank you, sister. I know she can do it. I will personally make sure she gets through this. I know what it’s like to fall and what is needed to pick someone back up.” Luna said sadly.

It made Celestia smile at what Luna was saying. Sad she was to admit it, Luna had never been especially close with any of the students. Generally, most would either come to Celestia or the guidance counselor with their problems, Celestia being the more approachable sister. Thus why it spoke such volumes that Luna was willing to go so far for Sunset.

“By the way, after all that’s happened I decided to do a more thorough examination of Sunset’s records. I suppose it goes without saying, but they were forged and now we know she’s not even from this world. Do you think she even has parents?” Celestia handed the records to Luna who quickly peered them over.

Everything was starting to sink in for Luna, all excuses Sunset used to explain her parents' absence from events or conferences, and how the few attempts she’d made to contact them yielded no results.

She remembered the times in her office when Sunset was in trouble for something and every time Luna mentioned her parents Sunset would freeze up and try to think of excuses. Looking back now, Luna could kick herself for always believing Sunset.

“I feel as though she’s hiding more from us than we first thought. It would make sense as to why she used to make excuses all the time that her parents couldn’t come into the school. She’s probably been more alone than we ever imagined.” Luna felt a pain form in her stomach at the thought of such a bright student trying to survive all by herself, to the point of being forced to act out.

It was then there was a knock at the door; the sisters jumped, as they thought everyone left by now. They shared a look before Celestia got up from her chair and walked over to the door to see a worried look on Fluttershy and Rainbow.

“Girls, shouldn’t you be home by now? Your parents will be worried.” Said Celestia as she looked down to face the concerned teens.

“Principal Celestia, you have to come quick. It’s Sunset.” Rainbow said, her tone full of panic.

“Luna, quick.” Celestia waved to Luna to hurry, she shot straight from her seat and made her way out of the office, the educators followed their students to the front of the school, they were greeted with the three others who ran up to them panicking.

“Girls, what happened? Where’s Sunset?” Luna semi-demanded, seemingly reverting to how she spoke during school hours.

“We tried to talk to Sunset. We wanted to help her, but every time we approached she backed away before running off. We’ve tried to look for her but we had no luck. I think she was scared of us.” Pinkie Pie ran up to the principals, her usually fluffy hair now almost completely flat.

Luna’s mind was in a state of panic as she listened to what Pinkie what telling her although she wasn’t fully focused on her, trying to figure out where Sunset ran off too.

“Right, okay, I think we need to split up. She couldn’t have gone that far, she must have been around here somewhere.” Luna took control, turning to her sister.

“Celestia, why don’t you go with Rarity and Fluttershy. Pinkie, you come with me, and Rainbow Dash, you keep looking with Applejack. Call if any of you find her,” Luna said, before running off, Pinkie following closely after.

Luna and Pinkie were the ones left at the front of the school. They first approached Snips and Snails who were having a carry on while tidying up.

“Snips and Snails!” Luna yelled at the two, making them stop what they were doing.

“You’re done for the night. You will report to my office Monday morning for the rest of your punishment. Now, go.” Luna said sternly, pointing the way out to the front of the school. Pinkie Pie watched in fear, almost feeling as though she was the one about to be punished with how quickly the Vice Principal changed her tone.

“Shouldn’t we get them to help?” questioned Pinkie, which only caused Luna to turn around and glare at Pinkie.

“They’re better away from this. We must find Sunset,” said Luna as she ran up the Wondercolt statue, looking around for Sunset and calling her name.

“Sunset! Where are you? It’s Luna, please if you’re here come out, you’re not in any trouble.” Luna yelled as she was making her way to the back entrance which led to the cafeteria, Pinkie was also behind her shouting Sunset’s name.

“I should have known this would have happened...” Luna mumbled to her, running her hands down her face.


“Sunset! It’s us! Applejack and Rainbow! Please, don’t be scared, we want to help you!” Rainbow yelled out on the soccer field.

Applejack and Rainbow stood looking around the field for a moment, they check everywhere but there was still no sigh of Sunset, Rainbow kicked the wall in frustration.

“Urrgh! This is all our faults! We caused Sunset to run like that,” groaned Rainbow, giving another kick to the wall.

“You’re going ta’ hurt yerself if ya kept up wit’ that. We can’t blame ourselves, it isn’t gonna help any of us. We just need ta kept thinkin’ positive that we will find Sunset an’ she’ll be alright.” Applejack comforted Rainbow. Receiving a nod the two continued their search for Sunset.


Celestia, Rarity and Fluttershy were in the staff parking lot, it was empty, with only Celestia’s and Luna’s cars parked there. Sadly, this did little to help as it was already dark and they only had their phones to act as flashlights. Despite this, they continued to call out Sunset’s name but to no avail.

Celestia phoned Luna on her mobile, “C’mon Luna, pick up.” No answer. She tried again. Nothing. Celestia let out a frustrated sigh.

“Can any of you girls phone Pinkie or the others?” Celestia asked, growing more and more worried as there was no sign of Sunset.

Rarity tried calling Pinkie Pie. After a few tries, she heard her picking up the phone. “Any luck?” Rarity asked Pinkie. She had her on speaker so the others could hear.

“Nope. Have you?” Pinkie said.

“None. We’ve checked the parking lot but nothing.”

“Pinkie! Quick, I think I’ve found her...” Luna shouted in the background. The others could hear her through the phone.

“I’d better go. We’re behind the back doors from the cafeteria. Come get us and let the others know,” said Pinkie before she hung up.


Luna could hear faint sobbing, she followed it closely and found that Sunset was curled up in a ball, leaning against one of the back walls outside of the cafeteria, which led to the dumpsters. She was holding her knees close to her chest, her head buried her face. Even from a distance, Luna could see the glimmer of tears leaking down her jacket.

When Luna saw Sunset in front of her, it made her feel numb, yet she walked over slowly, kneeling in front of the trembling young girl who was sobbing her heart out.

“Sunset,” Luna said quietly, making the girl look up at her. Her sobs stopped but her eyes were still red and puffy.

“N-no d-don’t,” Sunset said shaking her head, She was unaware who was speaking to, too busy with trying to get them to get away from her.

“Sunset, talk to me. What’s wrong??” soothed Luna as she bent down to Sunset’s level.

“S-stay a-away from m-me,” Sunset mumbled out from her sobs. Luna looked in worry. What caused Sunset to feel like this? Was it the blast? “...you’ll only get h-hurt...”

“Everything is fine. I’m fine and so are you. It’s okay,” said Luna. Sunset looked up, finally able to make out that it was Luna who was comforting her.

“I-I’m so sorry,” Sunset said ever so quietly only for Luna to hear. She kept repeating it over and over again until Luna moved next to her side, arms wrapped around her.

Pinkie stood watching the two, scared to approach Sunset in case she ran off again. Sunset tried to push Luna away stubbornly, not wanting any contact, but her grip was too strong as she refused to let Sunset go.

“I know, I know.” Luna comforted Sunset.

Luna felt bad, even though she was still very angry towards Sunset for what she’d done; she did destroy the school, not to mention trying to brainwash most of the student body as well as her past offenses.

However, it still pained her to see Sunset go through this as Luna knew what it truly felt like to be so utterly broken.

The rest of the group had appeared. All of them had worried faces, unsure of what to do. They just stood watching Sunset constantly apologize while Luna comforted her.

Celestia moved the other five girls away from Sunset and Luna, huddling them into a group.

“Listen, why don’t you girls head home for the night? My sister and I can take care of Sunset from here. We'll keep her safe.” Celestia said quietly to the five worried girls.

While they wanted to stay to make sure that Sunset was okay, they had little room to argue and made a few phone calls to their parents.


After the girls left, Celestia and Luna helped Sunset back to the office, guiding her to a seat in front of the desk.

“Sunset, do you want a cup of tea? It will help steady your nerves,” said Celestia. Sunset quietly nodded, still refusing to make eye contact with her.

Celestia made some tea, while Luna stood beside her, arms folded as she nervously bit her thumb, concern for Sunset obvious to anyone who walked in.

“So, what are we going to do sister? We obviously can’t just send her home. She’s clearly not in a fit state of mind to be left alone, not to mention we don’t exactly know where she lives, not that she’d tell us if we asked…,” Luna spoke quietly only for Celestia to hear.

Celestia sighed while finishing up making the tea and pouring it into a cup.

“I know. Hopefully, once we get her to calm down maybe we can talk to her.”

Celestia handed the tea to Sunset as she took a seat behind her desk, Luna moving to stand next to her sister. The two sat quietly watching Sunset cradled the cup in her hands, slowly lifting it to her mouth and finally taking a sip from the warm drink. They gave her a few minutes to collect herself.

“Sunset, I know you’ve been through a lot tonight, but we would like to ask a few questions, would that be okay?” Luna asked Sunset, who nodded hesitantly in response.

“Your enrollment papers; they’re fake, aren’t they?” Celestia questioned.

“Y-yeah,” Sunset admitted, making her feel ashamed for all the lies she'd told over the years.

“So, you’ve been alone all those years?” said Celestia sadly, unsettled by the thought of one of her students trying to survive on her own. If Luna was right, this girl would need a lot more help than she thought.

Sunset again nodded sadly. Honestly, being alone had never really bothered her before. She liked being independent and doing things her way. She was so used to being by herself after she came into this world. Though, right now, she really wished she wasn’t.

The two sisters looked at each other, frowning. While a part of them was still concerned about the forging matter, that was something that could address at a later date. This was far more pressing.

“Sunset, where have you been staying?” Luna finally spoke up. She’d been silent for the whole conversation, patiently taking in all the information being given, making sure not to miss a thing.

“I-I had an apartment in the old town. It was cheap, but I kind of ran out of money not too long ago and got kicked out. I’ve been staying in homeless shelters for the last few months.”

The sisters tried their best to hold back a gasp. A young girl living alone was one thing, but not even having a home to go back to? How had they missed such a thing when it was right under their noses. Regardless, Luna had heard enough at this point, she had to do something and there was only one thing she could think of.

“Sunset, for now, you will be living with me.”

Sunset jaw hung down after hearing Luna’s comment. Why was Luna doing this? I am a monster! Sunset thought to herself.

“B-but I—,” Sunset tried to protest against it but she felt too weak to argue back. She knew Luna was being serious at that moment and wasn’t going to take no for an answer.

Luna interrupted Sunset as she was trying to make a protest as to why she couldn’t live with Luna.

“I know what you’re going to say Sunset and I’ll be having none of it. I refuse to allow one of my students to remain homeless when she is clearly in need of help. So don’t try to argue with me.”

Sunset immediately stopped talking, recognizing the same harsh tone she’d come to know during her time at Canterlot High. Any further debate would’ve just been a waste of time and oxygen.

Sunset sighed and nodded slowly in response, accepting that this was her fate, whatever direction it was heading.

Author's Note:

This chapter has been edited by The Fan Without A Face make sure you give them a follow!! A massive thanks to them for editing this!!

This is my first fanfic! So you might have to bear with, I’m not great at writing and I don’t have much experience.
But anyway, I wanted to write a fanfic involving Sunset and VP Luna. Yes, it’s another adoption fic. I haven’t see that many fics with sunset and VP Luna becoming her mom and I love the concept! So here goes nothing.

Ps: if you haven’t read
‘The price of Wanting’ and ‘Scars of our past’ please do because those are my fav fics on here and has inspired me to write my own.